Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wish sims 4 was multiplayer

Comments

• OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    thecatsred wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    You know, not a Real Simmer (TM).

If you play the game in any capacity you're a simmer. What do you mean when you say a "Real Simmer™"?

Just poking fun at a lot of the gatekeeping that goes on in the community. Such things are not unique to The Sims fandom, mind you.
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member

If you play the game in any capacity you're a simmer. What do you mean when you say a "Real Simmer™"?

Just poking fun at a lot of the gatekeeping that goes on in the community. Such things are not unique to The Sims fandom, mind you.

I still don't really know what you mean though.
  • simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    This has been a hope going back to TS3. There's just too much that could go wrong and could backfire with a multiplayer take. Bad enough TS4 is in such a state right now. I doubt making it multiplayer would fix much. On the other hand, if there was enough call for it maybe the bugs and glitches would get fixed days after they're found instead of the way things are right now.

Maybe this could be a blessing in disguise. Although I seriously doubt it.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • uglytownieuglytownie Posts: 29 Member
    As someone who is part of the modding community, I'm not really in favor of it. When multiplayer comes into play (no pun intended) usually it isn't modder friendly, and where there is multiplayer there is micro-transactions- which I'm not a fan of.
    f9kiTE1.png

I still don't really know what you mean though.

The community has repeatedly fought over whether liking Game X over Game Y means that you're not part of the club. Again, not unique to The Sims except for the use of the term "Simmer".
    uglytownie wrote: »
    As someone who is part of the modding community, I'm not really in favor of it. When multiplayer comes into play (no pun intended) usually it isn't modder friendly, and where there is multiplayer there is micro-transactions- which I'm not a fan of.

That could be a real problem. There would have to be a standardized build, which means that game mods and even things like CC clothing or hair would be excluded.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,339 Member
    edited February 2020
    For my part I'm against the idea of an online mode for Sims 5 because every workhour that goes into developing this mode will be one missing for polishing the core game. Also the snippet quoted in the other thread mentioned bringing not only social interaction, but also competitive play into the Sims. I'm concerned that they may be thinking more along the lines of seasonal events, timed quests, missable content that gets offered half a year later for real money instead of co-op play.
    Another concern of mine is that to keep their beloved competitive play decently fair, they might limit our abilities to use cheats, not just motive filling and money, but especially CAS/Build Buy unlocks, and mods. (Ideal case scenario would be simply banning saves and sims that were touched by cheats/mods from PvP, of course).

That said, I wouldn't say no to something like co-op Strangerville (one specialized character per player) or even PvP Strangerville (one household representing a faction (government, scientists, journalists etc.) per player) as a side-game. Just not in the mainline.

[...]

The community has repeatedly fought over whether liking Game X over Game Y means that you're not part of the club. Again, not unique to The Sims except for the use of the term "Simmer".

I think get what you mean, I often feel out of place here myself because I'm not a family player, which seems to be the main playstyle in this forum. But I do not expect many of us here to even try Sims 5 if it is online (in the way we expect/are wary of). It will attract "generic" gamers, for the worse or the better.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited February 2020
    Scobre wrote: »

Are you saying that the fault is not through the game or method of delivery itself, and rather through a fault of the community that has sprung up around it for the past few decades? I might agree with that.
    The community. They don't play well together. Why do you think so many Simmers have to hide chat just on the Sims streams alone?

Am I supposed to imply "weakness"? Will this get me a seat at the lunch table?

I don't think the community is "bad" per se. Petty, not bad -- too much obsession with forum status, not enough joy.
    Ugh that is what I would hate in a Sims online game, is its need to be utopian. Bad enough dealing with totalitarianism American ideas just with the Sims 4 as it is. I'm a pyro deviant. Sims 5 creating another "safe space" would not appeal to deviants like me.

I understand. I'm something of an iconoclast. It is a pity that we couldn't be friends; I feel we could have gotten along well.
    I thought you called yourself a deviant recently? "I may be a deviant". Are you changing tunes already? https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17388574#Comment_17388574

"Deviant" with tongue-in-cheek. I don't think things are as big a deal as others, I enjoy The Sims 4, etc. That makes me a "deviant", as far as the boards go. You know, not a Real Simmer (TM).
    So identity crisis got it. Saying you don't want multiplayer then you do the next moment. I remember you calling yourself a real Simmer too. Quite interesting watching you argue with yourself and disagree with yourself. I will make a note to take you as seriously as Colton. I do miss his posts about Justine Keaton.

I'm not sure why you're turning this into an insult. I thought we were turning a corner. Maybe we can't be friends.

I don't "identify" as a simmer, or a gamer, or a "deviant", or an iconoclast, or a Prius driver, or a dog owner, or a spring water drinker, or whatever product I consume. You're reading far too much into this in an effort to put me in my place.
    Ok that did actually make me laugh so thank you I needed that after this week. I am a corgi mix dog owner and own fish and two cats. When it comes to interacting with friends it is generally either on Twitch or discord. I just remember seeing SimGuruSteve react to how girls are treated on VR Chat and he was shocked how horrible men treat women on it. Pretty much what Sims Online fourth attempt would be like. I remember how much I hated the Sims Facebook game attempt. It was so dull and boring. My Simmer friends didn't stick around for more than a week with the Sims Mobile and Pocket Camp too. I even got bored with the safe My Sims games where death and family play and danger was eliminated.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    No thanks, all Sims games I have ever played were SINGLE player. What gameplay is there for a multiplayer mode? I just do not see it as a viable way of gameplay. I play Sims games to get away from IRL people, as I find I dislike anyone but very close family. Maybe it is because I am an introvert. Never heard any viable reasons for multiplayer that are appealing. Even with those discussing they desire a multiplayer mode are not explaining any meaningful gameplay that would be accomplished in such a mode.

Sims 2 was multiplayer on console. If you have a household you could play a few characters in the household each. That was especially work for those non family just playing young adult sim players
    Sounds too much like the Sims Free play and the Sims Mobile. It is like why pay for something to can play already for free? I am a family, deviant, and builder so playing young adult Sims bored me to death enough with the mobile versions that my friends and I quit. Pocket Camp even bored my friends.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I'll try anything once
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I did play the sims split screen with TS1 for console. I really loved that. My sister and I would play for hours. But that only works for console. Otherwise, I don't like online play.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    The technology is there as it was not even when Sims online was available, but there are some caveats in creating an MMO only game for example look at WOW if that MMO went offline you have lost all possibilities of playing it unless they created an patch where you can play through LAN and that may never happen. When SO went offline folks just got an coaster for all the money spent on the game. I like the concept but it should be done on an test basis to feel out the gamers. I am not against it but it going to take some work and dedication and EA/Maxis must not go half stepping as it has with some programs and sorry to say that includes Sims 4 for me.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    @Scobre @OEII1001 Well, you two seem to get along smashingly well. In almost every topic I've opened about gaming, there you two are, making friends.

Just an observation.

;)
    edited February 2020
    Elliandre wrote: »
    @Scobre @OEII1001 Well, you two seem to get along smashingly well. In almost every topic I've opened about gaming, there you two are, making friends.

Just an observation.

;)
    Thanks I think we are. Misunderstanding at first mostly on my part but I guess that is how all friendships start. It has been a tough week with my cat getting hurt and I have been trying to nurse her back to health. Family extends beyond just humans and I consider my cat like my daughter. Even my dog has been checking on her.

Also I wouldn't mind co-op option. My house would get griefed a lot in Minecraft and even with private servers ran into issues with griefing. Stardew Valley and Farm Together are some of the few games that co-op works well in the casual gaming genre. But there needs to be a limit for co-op for servers to remain stable. Biggest problem with MMO games is overpopulation and server lags. So friend only servers would be a safer option and keeping them under 100 would be easier to moderate. Either way, the amount of customer service Gurus will have to increase staff a lot and honestly from talking with developers who have worked in MMO games the return of investment never exceeds the cost except for the few games that entered the industry early like WOW and Runescape. Now they work for mobile games because return of investment are better and costs and expectations are lower than MMO computer games. MMO games have phased out more in past few years except for the known old ones. Majority of them get shutdown or not maintained.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member

Just an observation.

;)
    Thanks I think we are. Misunderstanding at first mostly on my part but I guess that is how all friendships start. It has been a tough week with my cat getting hurt and I have been trying to nurse her back to health. Family extends beyond just humans and I consider my cat like my daughter. Even my dog has been checking on her.

Also I wouldn't mind co-op option. My house would get griefed a lot in Minecraft and even with private servers ran into issues with griefing. Stardew Valley and Farm Together are some of the few games that co-op works well in the casual gaming genre. But there needs to be a limit for co-op for servers to remain stable. Biggest problem with MMO games is overpopulation and server lags. So friend only servers would be a safer option and keeping them under 100 would be easier to moderate. Either way, the amount of customer service Gurus will have to increase staff a lot and honestly from talking with developers who have worked in MMO games the return of investment never exceeds the cost except for the few games that entered the industry early like WOW and Runescape. Now they work for mobile games because return of investment are better and costs and expectations are lower than MMO computer games. MMO games have phased out more in past few years except for the known old ones. Majority of them get shutdown or not maintained.

Oh that reminds me, thanks for mentioning Stardew Valley before. I was looking that up after you said it was better than Hay Day. I haven't played a farming game in a long time. I'm going to give it a try.

Sorry to hear about your cat. I had to nurse a rescue cat back from starvation, so stressful, I hope your cat will be okay.

Oh that reminds me, thanks for mentioning Stardew Valley before. I was looking that up after you said it was better than Hay Day. I haven't played a farming game in a long time. I'm going to give it a try.

Sorry to hear about your cat. I had to nurse a rescue cat back from starvation, so stressful, I hope your cat will be okay.
    Your welcome and thank you. They just had an update. It was actually former SimGuruDrake that showed me the game and gifted it and I learned so much about how to play it. My brother had played it too. I have it on PC and mobile and just been fun playing and talking about other games besides the Sims with Simmers. My friend Zylria got me into Farm Together.I

Oh no sorry your cat had a rough time. My cat tore a ligament in her knee so she has been limping. An older friend accidentally stepped on her with a walker, so I took her to the vet right away. Thankfully not broken otherwise she would have lost her back leg. I just feel for my cat since I have a couple torn ligaments myself. My cat was super active like I was so just figuring out differently able activities for her to do as she recovers.

I think that is what is so hard about a lot of MMO games is that they generally represent healthy characters. Overwatch is one of the few that is inclusive to all individuals regardless of gender, religion, race, or mental and physical abilities. EA is just not known for that with their games even with the Sims 4 it is a slow painful process of inclusion. Anyway sorry probably tmi.
  • TiavbTiavb Posts: 3 New Member
    I just would like to know why everyone is so against multiplayer, almost as if they were to put it in the game- EA would instantly hold a knife to their throat until they played multiplayer. No one said you had to play multiplayer if you don't want to, but there are some people who do, I personally would love to play it with my friends who also play the game, and possibly create a whole other house for us to live in, why is that painted to be such a terrible thought... if you want a game to live on, yes you should keep it as similar as possible to the original, but keeping your products/ games to be what people want is also important, besides multiplayer should not affect the nostalgic single player way of gaming on Sims, much like how when playing COD you can play campaign, all while the multiplayer part of the game does not interfere at all with your current game, I personally played campaign for a long time without ever playing multiplayer until I was in highschool... Calm down Sims Community, the game won't be ruined LOL.
  • Cardpuppet17Cardpuppet17 Posts: 4 New Member
    > @Tiavb said:
    > I just would like to know why everyone is so against multiplayer, almost as if they were to put it in the game- EA would instantly hold a knife to their throat until they played multiplayer. No one said you had to play multiplayer if you don't want to [...] Calm down Sims Community, the game won't be ruined LOL.

Different iterations and types of games are good, and I think there's things that could come with an online Sims that you can't get from offline - but I think a lot of people already aren't happy with Sims 4 as it is now, so making a new Sims that doesn't fix the problems that Sims 4 has *and* potentially isn't a game they'd want to play anyway, well... for Sims 3 players, that's 6+ years they've gone without anything new to be excited for. Especially if Sims 5 is JUST online, like an MMO, and there's no offline version.

I don't think anyone's necessarily right or wrong in what they want in a Sims game, but it does seem as though the "core essence" of what The Sims is has changed in each iteration, which I think is obvious from how many people *only* play one iteration of the game and no others.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Tiavb wrote: »
    I just would like to know why everyone is so against multiplayer, almost as if they were to put it in the game- EA would instantly hold a knife to their throat until they played multiplayer. No one said you had to play multiplayer if you don't want to, but there are some people who do, I personally would love to play it with my friends who also play the game, and possibly create a whole other house for us to live in, why is that painted to be such a terrible thought... if you want a game to live on, yes you should keep it as similar as possible to the original, but keeping your products/ games to be what people want is also important, besides multiplayer should not affect the nostalgic single player way of gaming on Sims, much like how when playing COD you can play campaign, all while the multiplayer part of the game does not interfere at all with your current game, I personally played campaign for a long time without ever playing multiplayer until I was in highschool... Calm down Sims Community, the game won't be ruined LOL.

If you read my post from the past (this thread originated in February), you would most likely understand why I am such against any multiplayer mode. Including a multiplayer mode takes financial resources away from the single player mode. That means shallow and lackluster gameplay features for single player, as they want people to rely on and need the multiplayer to get any significant gameplay. As it is, I play all video games on any platform offline 99% of the time. There has been no significant fun gameplay mentioned for a multiplayer mode in any game that I play.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    Multiplayer would not be for me. I think this game is unique as we all play different games. Why would I want to multiplay with a simmer who plays a medieval setting, while I focus on sims exploring space? Neither medieval nor space is in this game, but there is nothing stopping us from playing just that. Or my nobility community that took forever to establish combined with a crazy simmer who would mainly run about to stir up fights? Besides, i play on rotation, I would not want a game where I could play only one sim/household, owning only one lot. "Visiting" other games as a NPC might be cool, but I doubt the outcome would justify the cost of the programming.

Multiplayer would only work as an addition, and with a very limited group of simmers at the time. So, like others mention, perhaps it could work with several simmers in the same RL house.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,141 Member
    With Sims 5 as a multiplayer the game would definitely die to me.

At first, I can't control the other players. That means I can't switch easily to the character who is out of my reach if they do something which I strictly oppose. If they build a house near to me in a sexuell or racist theme, all I can do is reporting them and wait, until they are banned, if they will anyway (say hello to dozens of version of 🐸🐸🐸🐸 names).

Second point: griefers and cheaters. I've seen this in other mmos. No thank you.

Third point. Online modus itself, to be forced to be always connected with the internet. I've played in regions where we had have bad internet, either through the bad infrastructure or dictatorship, who cut off the internet or energy whenever they want. The last point annoys me since years. There more and more games need a permanent internetconnection. That would be the final step why the sims series would die for me.

Forth point: Modders. With an online concept there will be strict rules for them and that would kill their creativity. To play with the creativity is the main theme, the main selling point from the sims series. You can build your dreamhouses directly and not after a long farming season or to buy things with microtransitions, you can build up the careers or destroy them and not be block by someone else.
  • motdkmotdk Posts: 208 Member
    edited March 2020
    No thank you, I don't play well with people and there sims. So No.
  • Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    I hope that never happens!
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I did not read every post. I don't know if it's been mentioned or not. I am talking about the multiplayer mod. I watched two youtubers test the mod a while back. I just googled it and it's on Mod The Sims and it's called Sims 4 Multiplayer Mod. I never used it. The youtubers had fun with it though.
  • DylanJ10000DylanJ10000 Posts: 22 Member
    I feel like Split-Screen Multiplayer would only work if the controls were more like how they were for The Sims 3 on the Wii (you actually control the character; you don't pick where they go, you actually control them like most games). If it's in it's classic control, then we'd be better off with Online or Local Region Multiplayer modes.