Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Time to jump ship? Sims 5 will be suffering from online disease

Comments

• AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I played the Sims Online and had a blast. It's different now. I am older and play The Sims 4 to escape and not sure I am up to being social with others during my escape. For me it depends on how it's run. Not into micro transactions and TSO did not have them but there was a monthly fee. I don't recall how much it was but it wasn't much or I wouldn't of been able to have two accounts.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    Andrew Wilson loves multiplayer. And multiplayer and microtransactions come before true innovation. If you have any doubts about that, try playing FIFA 18, 19, and 20 and try to find the differences that require $60 plus a whole slew of new, non-transferable microtransactions.

Wise words, indeed. Greed trumps innovation every single step of the way. The way EA, Activision and Bethesda (sadly) these days do business is "Can this game be made into a Game As Service model? No? Then can we at least make it sell micro transactions? No? Then no game it is.

The problem is twofold, of couse:

1. The short reason: It is bad for players.
    2. The long reason: It is impossible to sustain more than one Game As Service per genre at a time. Guess why virtually no MMO's could compete with WoW? Because people already had invested in WoW. Not only money, but time. Yet Publishers look for the "forever game"; the game that is the only game we will play, and we will play it all the time. They fail to remember that the day only have 12 hours, and it is simply impossible to sustain several "Games as Services" games at once for lack of time alone. They just all think "this will be the one".
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I may skip it. I skipped Sims 3 because it sounded like the story progression wouldn't agree with my play style. And I'd just finished completing my sims 2 collection when it came out. So I played 2 for a few more years and then bought 4 when my hard drive crashed and I lost all my Sims 2 saves.

Which is all to say that I may skip Sims 5, and keep playing 4, and that idea doesn't particularly bother me because I am enjoying 4. Then maybe I'd come back for 6 if it sounded better.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    Is this official or just speculation? Unless the devs confirm it, I don't buy it. :v

It's speculation. Nothing has been actually confirmed - the idea was just floated by EA's CEO.

Not just speculation. It’s over-exaggeration and clickbait. Nothing was really explained or shown in the interview. Take that news with a grain of salt.

The problem here is that CEO of EA has openly pushed for every single title being online. Because it is far far more profit in that and the "games as services" model. Which is a bubble and already starts to burst, but hey. They never notice that until it's too late. They will ruin about 10 more titles first (they, as in AAA game publishers in general, not just EA).

I understand his business models and schemes. Anthem failed, Mass Effect: Andromeda failed, Star Wars: Battlefront 1 & 2 failed, etc. I still would take this clickbait article with a grain of salt. It’s some form of “news” but at best something not to fuss over about.

Their latest Star Wars game was released and is completely offline. It was a big hit. They might take a turn from the direction of always online games.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
    Is this official or just speculation? Unless the devs confirm it, I don't buy it. :v

It's speculation. Nothing has been actually confirmed - the idea was just floated by EA's CEO.

Not just speculation. It’s over-exaggeration and clickbait. Nothing was really explained or shown in the interview. Take that news with a grain of salt.

The problem here is that CEO of EA has openly pushed for every single title being online. Because it is far far more profit in that and the "games as services" model. Which is a bubble and already starts to burst, but hey. They never notice that until it's too late. They will ruin about 10 more titles first (they, as in AAA game publishers in general, not just EA).

I understand his business models and schemes. Anthem failed, Mass Effect: Andromeda failed, Star Wars: Battlefront 1 & 2 failed, etc. I still would take this clickbait article with a grain of salt. It’s some form of “news” but at best something not to fuss over about.

Their latest Star Wars game was released and is completely offline. It was a big hit. They might take a turn from the direction of always online games.

I don't trust the higher up at EA to do an gamer-friendly or even ethical decision further than I can pee, to be honest. That goes for all AAA publishers. I still trust a number of mid-sized ones, like Paradox, but no major publishing houses. They simply have not been in it for the art or joy of playing games for a long time.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    edited February 2020
    You can still play older games. I just started up my Toonstruck from the 90's. If you have ScummVM, you can put old games in there and they will play. GOG has lots of old games that are still playable.

fullspiral wrote: »
    You can still play older games. I just started up my Toonstruck from the 90's. If you have ScummVM, you can put old games in there and they will play.

Well, not an EA game, but people will play Skyrim long after Elderscrolls 6 is out, I bet. More people are playing it than Fallout 76, for sure.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    There is a good chance that our feedbacks regarding this supposed Sims 5 Online fall in deaf ears and jist go ahead developing Sims 5 online feature and then they will wondering why The Sims 5 Online is failed to meet their expectation and sales number.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    izecson wrote: »
    There is a good chance that our feedbacks regarding this supposed Sims 5 Online fall in deaf ears and jist go ahead developing Sims 5 online feature and then they will wondering why The Sims 5 Online is failed to meet their expectation and sales number.

Well they genuinely seemed surprised at what happened with Sim City and Anthem.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member

Those games were just meh on top of bleh
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    edited February 2020

Those games were just meh on top of bleh

Yes, but I still think they never actually understood, nor even understand now, why they failed.
    The sims have always been about hooking up and having kids, so online would be a sleaze fest. No thank you!

LOL wasn't even thinking about that. The kid friendly version of ...god what was the name of that "game"? Online, where you could not only build homes and pools but well... do... things with each other and or each other?
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    I'll hold judgement until we know something for sure. But, if the rumors are true, I would have to agree with most people in this thread. I play games to unwind. It's kind of hard to enjoy yourself when you have to deal with other people online. I've seen my husband and kids play online and honestly, I have no desire to ever be more connected than these forums and the Gallery.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    LOL wasn't even thinking about that. The kid friendly version of ...god what was the name of that "game"? Online, where you could not only build homes and pools but well... do... things with each other and or each other?

Second Life?
    thecatsred wrote: »

Second Life?

Yes, that's the one.
  • under_sun_and_skyunder_sun_and_sky Posts: 96 Member
    All I can say is thank GOD we'll have Paralives.
    tumblr_pg992c6rBP1r42s8uo1_400.gifv
  • Lemon405Lemon405 Posts: 163 Member
    Guess it’ll be time to dust off my Sims 3 drive!

Heck, I might even dig out my Sims 2, or maybe go find myself an ancient PC to play my Sims 1 stuff.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    Why are y'all taking this 'news' so seriously? LOL.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member

Exactly what I thought. If its not stated directly in a clear, concise,official statement then why worry. It would be like cutting off your arm because theres a hangnail.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I read some of that interview with the CEO. I hope multiplayer doesn't ever happen in the Sims. Nor do I want a constant online connection to be required, and if this speculation does come to fruition I will be done with the Sims series. Sims 4 will end up being my last Sims game if they do anything like this. EA has taken some of my favorite franchises and made them terrible, simply by adding online and multiplayer components to games that used to be single player offline games only. I don't trust them not to continue with that trend.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Lol yeah if Sims is going multiplayer I'm jumping ship to a lovely little life raft named Paralives

(though I'm trying Paralives no matter what, it looks good)
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    We've already had The Sims Online and it was trash. Really wish they would stahp with this MMO pipe dream.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    In retrospect, it was naive of us to think Jedi Fallen Order meant people who knew what they were talking about were in charge for a change, but of course they're still on that always online, agressive micro transactions train.

EA is not known for interesting inovative gameplay, tbh the concept of a life simulation MMO sounds semi interesting, but only in the hands of people with an actual passion for creating games.
    So not even a modicum of hope for that hypothetical game by EAxis.