March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Time to jump ship? Sims 5 will be suffering from online disease

167891012...Next

Comments

• cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    edited March 2020

But hey, if people want to express their disappointment, go for it. I guess I received these news differently because I was already expecting this to happen 100%, so I accepted it a long time ago. No amount of whining will change EA's mind, the only way you can change anything is with your wallet, but we all know people will still buy TS5, be it casual gamers or the most loyal simmers, so yeah, I'm just saying.

You know, people keep repeating that we buy TS stuff no matter what over and over, but I don't think that's true. If it was, EA wouldn't have had to give away TS4's base game for free - or put the packs out on constant sale. TS1, TS2, or TS3 basegames have never been given away free (maybe with a computer or some such but not on the same scale as TS4) or have their packs put on constant sales. TS3 still sells well even though it's not on sale anywhere near as much as TS4. Also, if TS2 and TS1 were still sold, they would do very well also. TS2 in particular is similar, even better than TS4, and that's one of the reasons they took it off the market.

Like it was mentioned already, many people all over the internet admit buying certain packs just because they liked one or two items, or because they want to have all the packs or whatever reason. And I think it's such a toxic behavior, to complain about how EA handles TS4 but still fully support them by giving your money. But oh well.

I think the reason why they give the base game away for free or at really cheap prices is because they hope people will get addicted to the game and want to buy the packs. TS4 is probably doing well enough because of all the packs they put out in comparison to previous games. Don't forget that if you bought all the SPs on release, then you have spent 160$ on SPs alone. That is the price of nearly THREE full games and they earned that from thousands of people by selling packs that have little effort put into them. So yeah, I think TS4 is doing rather well.

You're forgetting that most people no longer buy the packs at release, especially the ones coming out now because they are so underwhelming. That's why the packs are constantly on sale. That just tells me that TS4 is not doing well. Also EA has increased prices for TS3 - which doesn't go on sale anywhere near as much - because people are still willing to buy it even at higher prices. THAT tells me that even 10 years out, TS3 is still selling well.

packs only go on sale when they've made back production costs and they can afford to put them on sale for an extra boost in income to get the people who wait for sales.

university going on sale that quickly after its release means it made its production costs back, and back fast. they're making bank dude, them being able to make the base game free again this year just shows that they are. they know people are buying DLC in mass, its where their profits are, and they're raking it in.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    cheescaeks wrote: »

But hey, if people want to express their disappointment, go for it. I guess I received these news differently because I was already expecting this to happen 100%, so I accepted it a long time ago. No amount of whining will change EA's mind, the only way you can change anything is with your wallet, but we all know people will still buy TS5, be it casual gamers or the most loyal simmers, so yeah, I'm just saying.

You know, people keep repeating that we buy TS stuff no matter what over and over, but I don't think that's true. If it was, EA wouldn't have had to give away TS4's base game for free - or put the packs out on constant sale. TS1, TS2, or TS3 basegames have never been given away free (maybe with a computer or some such but not on the same scale as TS4) or have their packs put on constant sales. TS3 still sells well even though it's not on sale anywhere near as much as TS4. Also, if TS2 and TS1 were still sold, they would do very well also. TS2 in particular is similar, even better than TS4, and that's one of the reasons they took it off the market.

Like it was mentioned already, many people all over the internet admit buying certain packs just because they liked one or two items, or because they want to have all the packs or whatever reason. And I think it's such a toxic behavior, to complain about how EA handles TS4 but still fully support them by giving your money. But oh well.

I think the reason why they give the base game away for free or at really cheap prices is because they hope people will get addicted to the game and want to buy the packs. TS4 is probably doing well enough because of all the packs they put out in comparison to previous games. Don't forget that if you bought all the SPs on release, then you have spent 160$ on SPs alone. That is the price of nearly THREE full games and they earned that from thousands of people by selling packs that have little effort put into them. So yeah, I think TS4 is doing rather well.

You're forgetting that most people no longer buy the packs at release, especially the ones coming out now because they are so underwhelming. That's why the packs are constantly on sale. That just tells me that TS4 is not doing well. Also EA has increased prices for TS3 - which doesn't go on sale anywhere near as much - because people are still willing to buy it even at higher prices. THAT tells me that even 10 years out, TS3 is still selling well.

packs only go on sale when they've made back production costs and they can afford to put them on sale for an extra boost in income to get the people who wait for sales.

university going on sale that quickly after its release means it made its production costs back, and back fast. they're making bank dude, them being able to make the base game free again this year just shows that they are. they know people are buying DLC in mass, its where their profits are, and they're raking it in.

Yeah right. I'm not buying that.

Did you ever take any business/economics classes? Products go on sale when people won't buy it at full price. And EA isn't about to lower their prices on a game pack if it's actually selling well, just to get an "extra boost in income" (lol!). TS3 for example have always sold well and has recouped its production cost thousands of times over. EA still doesn't put it on sale anywhere near as much as TS4 packs. As a matter of fact, they just raised the prices for Europe.

• mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member

Did you ever take any business/economics classes? Products go on sale when people won't buy it at full price. And EA isn't about to lower their prices on a game pack if it's actually selling well, just to get an "extra boost in income" (lol!). TS3 for example have always sold well and has recouped its production cost thousands of times over. EA still doesn't put it on sale anywhere near as much as TS4 packs. As a matter of fact, they just raised the prices for Europe.

Alternatively, EA knows that they put a team to work on The Sims 5 and want to squeeze every buck out of The Sims 4, before they announce and release it. I see frequent sales as an indication that the game is coming close to the end of its lifetime.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member

I think you don't really understand marketing very well. @cheescaeks is right. We're talking about a large corporate business here, not single shop retailer. There is a huge difference.

Now, full disclosure, I've never worked in game development, but I do work in an expanding small business that has big business ideals and habits. I work closely with the business owner and marketing department in management and regularly discuss promos, numbers, sales, product, etc. so I have at least some idea of the workings of tactical promotions and marketing, though I'm always learning along the way.

When EA releases a pack, they will have anticipated a minimum of revenue of sales to be met. This projected number will include costs for development, marketing, and any other finances that went into production as well as profit. Once that number is met, the pack has paid for itself and they are free to do whatever further promotions they wish. This is why they can throw the base game out for free once in a while or bring it down to $5.00. It has paid for itself long ago and now serves more as a gateway to the big money (new) products. Once people have the base game, chances are, they will be purchasing packs and getting caught up in the hype of marketing for anything new. This creates financial growth to help increase revenue numbers quarterly.

Marketing takes money, time, effort, and tactics. They will only put that kind of funding into a product that has potential to bring in large numbers. This is why Sims 3 never goes on sale. This is most likely also why the Sims 4 Stuff Packs hardly ever go on sale. Small potatoes compared to Sims 4's game and expansion packs. No doubt Sims 3 still brings in the thousands (speculation) to sustain itself on offered platforms. This is why it continues on. But it's not carrying the franchise. The reality is, as people get bored with Sims 4, they start looking forward not backward, to a potential Sims 5 or Paralives. Notice that the forum section dedicated to Sims 3 just got condensed again and is now grouped under "Legacy Titles" with its predecessors, Sims 1 and 2. If it was making significant money, it would be expanding. But again, we're talking about big business. It would have to rake in millions on a quarterly basis for EA to care.

I know you love Sims 3 and I'm not saying this to upset you, it's just the reality of capitalism in the U.S. It's always sad to see a previous Sims game slowly fade, even if I did not prefer it myself. In fact, it's the threat of it diminishing that has kind of spurred me to get some of the packs and try it out more here and there in case they disappear in the next few years and I miss the opportunity to have them. You always express a lot of enthusiasm and offers for help for Sims 3, which I think is nice to see because those huge mods are really intimidating. I'd really love to see EA work on updating and/or remastering all the older games to play compatibly on current operating systems.
    #Team Occult
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    edited March 2020

Oh, the go-to "did you ever take business/economics classes" yeah, and I was the only person that passed with an A in the class that the professor freakin' thanked me. I understand economics, thanks, we're on the sims forums, talking about a silly game, you do not need to target my intelligence.

Their games aren't clogging up physical racks, they don't need to mark them into clearance to get rid of it for new product.

They go on sale when the product makes back the money and they can literally afford to slash down the prices over and over again to target the people who only buy things on sale. You laugh at the idea of "an extra boost in income" that's what it is. They know people wait until they see a "50% off!!!" sign, psychologically that pushes people to buy more if they think that the sale will end. It's 100% a ploy for an extra boost in money. The Sims isn't the only company that does this, far from. Many companies constantly put things on sale, and they're certainly not struggling either (I worked for Kohls, we sold more product sold at 50% than we ever did full price). They know more people will buy on sale, and can safely do so since their production budget isn't an issue.

They don't do it because they're struggling, they're making quite a lot of money, as I've mentioned in another thread Maxis is flourishing very well that they opened another studio in Texas. A studio doesn't do that if they're struggling.

You're basing your opinion solely on...that Sims 3 doesn't go on sale? Okay, so here's the thing: Sims 4 is their current game. EA and their stock holders only care about the games that are in current development to see if they are worth continuing producing said product. If its not bringing in money, then the game will go away. Sims 4 is rumored to continue for another 2 years, doesn't sound like a product that isn't producing for their stock holders. Sims 3 is not their current iteration, they don't regularly hold sales for that game because its not the game they are focused on. They want more money brought in for Sims 4, they want more attention on Sims 4. More money, more attention for their current IPs means they get to go on and produce MORE IPs such as Sims 5 and other Sim titles.

I literally do not understand why you're fighting against this. The money that Sims 4 has nothing to do with the quality of the game, and EVERYTHING to do with funding future games. So if you hate Sims 4 so much, I get it, whatever, not your cup of tea. But you should be off the walls, HAPPY that this game is doing well now. Because if the Sims 4 wasn't bringing in money, Sims 5 with all its hope and promises that maybe it will bring what you loved about Sims 3, could not go into production.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Well, that's a disappointing thought to me. I remember the original Sims Online... I don't want to be forced to marry other players to continue my family line or any other thing like that. The reason The sims has been a favorite of mine is that its my world to control and adapt.

I guess if this is really the truth, that it'll be another attempt at online gaming in The Sims, I'm finished buying them after The Sims 4 too. I'm too old, too married and far too uninterested in The Sims - Online dating edition.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member

How do you even know that for sure? Don't forget the fans who frequent the internet are but a really small percentage of the entire community who plays TS4. This game has 20 million unique players, so I'm willing to bet there are at least a few thousands of those people buying every pack on release. If TS4 wasn't doing well and wasn't bringing out enough money, EA would simply scrap it and move on to TS5. The fact that they are sticking with it for more years should tell you something.
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited March 2020
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    Well, that's a disappointing thought to me. I remember the original Sims Online... I don't want to be forced to marry other players to continue my family line or any other thing like that.

Well they should ALSO include NPC's in sims online 2, like with fallout 76, there was an issue with the game it had hardly any NPC's and people wanted NPC's; which they are getting now, apparently having a online game with NPC's and players running around doing their own thing actually does wonders on a online game, it ALSO works well with RPing. :)

If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    edited March 2020
  • slamondaslamonda Posts: 1,357 Member
    well i played TSO and it was nothing like the regular sims,it was all about competition who has the best skill houses, there was casinos, love houses but all went by numbers to get on top and that went by how many people visited a day unless there going to do something different. i did meet some great people but i'm not looking forward to grinding again
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »

Alternatively, EA knows that they put a team to work on The Sims 5 and want to squeeze every buck out of The Sims 4, before they announce and release it. I see frequent sales as an indication that the game is coming close to the end of its lifetime.

Yup, that's another reason to put something on sale. They're also selling TS4 in 3rd party game stores like Fanatical and no longer exclusively on Origin. That's another indication that they're making room for TS5!!!

• marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited March 2020

agree
    The sims 4 and packs always seems to be on sale.
    Not complaining either. the more the merrier.
    the sims 4 seems to be doing well.

I don't buy them until they go on sale.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited March 2020

I guess I am one of those simmer who at some point buy all packs. lucky enough to own all packs for the sims 4 and some I only got for a few items

1. vintage glam. butlers
    2. perfect patio. hot tubs
    3. lux party. buffet table and choc fountain
    4. movie night. popcorn maker and movie channels
    5. dine out . New recipes
    6. get famous. acting skill and career. and the music/video stations item.
    7. stranger vile. the town
    8. my first pet, caged animal

there is more, too many to post.
    so my point is I to buy some for some items instead of the whole pack.

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member

They increased prices for sims 3.Glad I already got all the expansion packs.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member

Wasn't that just all the games on Steam that EA did this to? Like, I think you can still get The Sims 3 at original price on Origin, though sales are very hard to come by. Even worse - no more watching ads for Sim points and no sales on Sim points. I recently shelled out quite a lot to get the last 2 worlds that I was interested in.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    edited March 2020
    I think the whole sale thing can be debated. I guess yes they would only be if they make their money.But how frequent is weird ?Its like every other month is sale. And it's only half of the expansions packs. Not the game pack maybe 25 % percent off of the game pack. The truth is I think it's because they get more money that way. It seems like a smart strategy. Like hey, Sims 4 base game cheap, or free. After you play it feels empty. So here are these half off expansion packs you can buy
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

LOL it is so funny you can get Sims 4 for like next to nothing and we are still paying full price for a lot of things in Sims 3