Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Single player has to be the main focus of the next Sims game

13...Next

Comments

• Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »
    Why do they never listen to us? We don't want this.

Because we buy everything!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    Even if the multiplayer aspect only allows other play to visit your neighborhood and yours will not be changed in any way I still dont want a stranger or even my friend to know what im doing in my game.

Hahahaha, yeah, I mean would they also have to have Basemental installed to see my vast criminal enterprise?
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

Not all of us! :wink:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    After thinking about it, I'd be ok with MySims and theUrbz and the Sims Castaway or Sims Medieval being an online game. I just want the main series left alone for sandbox players.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    @Scobre wrote: »
    After thinking about it, I'd be ok with MySims and theUrbz and the Sims Castaway or Sims Medieval being an online game. I just want the main series left alone for sandbox players.

Yes I see nothing wrong with online Sims games, just not the main Sims game!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,120 Member
    NO THANK YOU!!
    I'll stick with my Sims 4.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

Speak for yourself, I would love a multiplayer Sims game 🤷‍♀️
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Quite frankly, if you guys think the single player experience will be the focus, you are mistaken. EA will focus on multiplayer because of micro transactions. This will leave the single player experience with less development time and very little content. You think Sims 4 is lacking now well you just wait.

Another major concern is they either need to remove woohoo or up the age limit to mature. Kids certainly shouldn’t have their sims woohooing with some adult’s sim. They have already had one predator incident and this could possibly open themselves up to another incident. I guess they will learn when a parent sues their 🐸🐸🐸🐸. They need the police monitoring this game online in my opinion.
    @keekee53 wrote: »
    Quite frankly, if you guys think the single player experience will be the focus, you are mistaken. EA will focus on multiplayer because of micro transactions. This will leave the single player experience with less development time and very little content. You think Sims 4 is lacking now well you just wait.

Another major concern is they either need to remove woohoo or up the age limit to mature. Kids certainly shouldn’t have their sims woohooing with some adult’s sim. They have already had one predator incident and this could possibly open themselves up to another incident. I guess they will learn when a parent sues their 🌺🌺🌺🌺. They need the police monitoring this game online in my opinion.

If the lower the rating then it won’t be The Sims anymore

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • ButteredToastButteredToast Posts: 47 Member
    > @xamira99 said:
    >
    > Sometimes, we need to remember that, not everything 'new' need to be in the next/new game or only for The Sims PC/Mac/Console version. Who knows, TS4 could be their last. Maybe, the next simulation game is going to have a different title. Personally, I won't be nervous. I like & enjoy changes. I'm pretty sure my virtual world is not going to end if the game doesn't even meet my expectation. I can just not to buy/play & move on or even restart.

I like this. I would prefer something new, something different instead of the rehash of previous games in a different skin. Why should I keep re-buying the same game over and over again?

Alternatively, the main Sims franchise can stay the same and Sims spin-offs can be created (like Sims Medieval or Castaway) for devs and players to test new ideas.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member

If Sims 5 Is going to be a multi player game,then it should be like Minecraft: Give people a single player option and a multi player option(Sims servers).That way,everyone would be happy.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2020
    I sometimes get curious to know for those who would want multiplayer what do they expect from The Sims in that type game? Do they expect it would be they could visit a stranger/Sim and date them? or get married or have kids together and move in somewhere? We know TS is an interaction game, where we make our Sims interact with townies. Well, if all those 'townies' are actually other people what do they expect to happen in a multiplayer game? I think multiplayer wouldn't be played like they may be expecting. It might work out like a university pack, like where your Sim joins a research group (sits on couch and reads a book) to build a skill. That's pretty boring as it is in the signal player games already. I don't think the interactions will be there to do all the other things some may be expecting that are in their single player games. Then it would just be another glorified TSO, which mostly was just a grind fest.

If it plays like some sort of community building activity, like building a world and supplying lots, who gets decide which lots are accepted? or what the worlds would be? I have no idea what Maxis has in mind I just know I was always very protective of my own work and my own worlds and my own Sims. lol Like don't touch anything. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    The only online features I'd be fine with are SEPARATE and OPTIONAL ones! I want the gallery back because I use it all the time. In the new Animal Crossing game they have a feature coming where you can visit friends' islands. I wouldn't mind a similar feature to this. Of course this would mean Sims 5 would need in depth world editing tools to make this most interesting. We could set our worlds to not be editable by visiting people. It could be a fun diversion when we want something a little different. It would be cool to visit other people's edited worlds and hang out with their sims. However, once again, keep it optional and let me have my immersive single-player experience as well!
    alan650111 wrote: »
    The only online features I'd be fine with are SEPARATE and OPTIONAL ones! I want the gallery back because I use it all the time. In the new Animal Crossing game they have a feature coming where you can visit friends' islands. I wouldn't mind a similar feature to this. Of course this would mean Sims 5 would need in depth world editing tools to make this most interesting. We could set our worlds to not be editable by visiting people. It could be a fun diversion when we want something a little different. It would be cool to visit other people's edited worlds and hang out with their sims. However, once again, keep it optional and let me have my immersive single-player experience as well!

In my experience, they will never do both effectively.

If Sims 5 Is going to be a multi player game,then it should be like Minecraft: Give people a single player option and a multi player option(Sims servers).That way,everyone would be happy.
    It won't be. This was the last launched Sims MMO game. It would be more like this. Sims 4 was originally going to be online too but SimCity 2013 servers couldn't even handle the servers and both games share the same gaming engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kl6pk9Zqtw

Expect many micro-transactions much more than Minecraft which was developed by a Swedish gaming company. Sims is run by an American company, so expect things to be much more financially pushed more so than the Sims 3 store.

What happened with the first Sims Online attempt:
    "In early 2005, The Sims Online faced a bug, which was discovered and quickly spread in use throughout the game. A clothing rack, that normally players would use to sell clothes to other players, duplicated the owner's profits several times with each use beyond what the other player actually paid. This exploit could be repeated as often as wanted until the bug was fixed. After a few days of this exploit in game, it was patched; however, the game's economy was completely destroyed, with massive amounts of inflation. Plenty of land and items lost value. This economic problem was not resolved for three years until late 2007 when EA-Land was formed and the game was wiped."

EA Land attempt
    "In April 2008, four weeks after EA-Land was launched, it was announced that the development team had to disassemble, and that the game would shut down on August 1 the same year.":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT5lLTWx0L4

Sims Bustin' Out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhnKYDZhZX4

MySims online attempt:
    "MySims featured an online play mode aimed at younger children for PC. However, the server was shut down on November 26, 2011."

Other EA online attempts,
    "A very similar revival of the game, called The Sims Social, released August 9, 2011 exclusively on Facebook. It allowed players to play with friends, chat and send items to each other. Electronic Arts and Maxis shut down The Sims Social, SimCity Social, and Pet Society on June 14, 2013 due to apparent player disinterest."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_Online

Then there are two free to play existing online multiplayer games run by the Sims franchise funded by micro-transactions:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7QINFi8ZKM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmNVt5B4rSY
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • CarlottleCarlottle Posts: 17 Member
    The only way I would want multiplayer would be something like being able to have your sims living in the same neighbourhood as a friends but still like a normal sims game, not a big open online world. Like Stardew Valley, I just want to farm with my sister, not have a town full of randoms.
    I don't want anyone interfering with my story telling. If the game is online, I know I will definitely not buy it. It would probably also kill the modding community and let's face it sims is not fun without mods\cc IN ALL OF THE ITERATIONS.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

It won't be. This was the last launched Sims MMO game. It would be more like this. Sims 4 was originally going to be online too but SimCity 2013 servers couldn't even handle the servers and both games share the same gaming engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kl6pk9Zqtw

Expect many micro-transactions much more than Minecraft which was developed by a Swedish gaming company. Sims is run by an American company, so expect things to be much more financially pushed more so than the Sims 3 store.

What happened with the first Sims Online attempt:
    "In early 2005, The Sims Online faced a bug, which was discovered and quickly spread in use throughout the game. A clothing rack, that normally players would use to sell clothes to other players, duplicated the owner's profits several times with each use beyond what the other player actually paid. This exploit could be repeated as often as wanted until the bug was fixed. After a few days of this exploit in game, it was patched; however, the game's economy was completely destroyed, with massive amounts of inflation. Plenty of land and items lost value. This economic problem was not resolved for three years until late 2007 when EA-Land was formed and the game was wiped."

EA Land attempt
    "In April 2008, four weeks after EA-Land was launched, it was announced that the development team had to disassemble, and that the game would shut down on August 1 the same year.":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT5lLTWx0L4

Sims Bustin' Out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhnKYDZhZX4

MySims online attempt:
    "MySims featured an online play mode aimed at younger children for PC. However, the server was shut down on November 26, 2011."

Other EA online attempts,
    "A very similar revival of the game, called The Sims Social, released August 9, 2011 exclusively on Facebook. It allowed players to play with friends, chat and send items to each other. Electronic Arts and Maxis shut down The Sims Social, SimCity Social, and Pet Society on June 14, 2013 due to apparent player disinterest."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_Online

Then there are two free to play existing online multiplayer games run by the Sims franchise funded by micro-transactions:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7QINFi8ZKM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmNVt5B4rSY

Excellent post! It summarizes how EA has set up past sims multiplayer online games. It really hasn't changed much over the years. The main thing to see is that ALL of them have micro-transactions where you really can't get ahead in the gameplay without spending real money. I used to play The Sims Freeplay but I wasn't able to get a lot of the rewards you win completing the missions/quests simply because you need to complete them within a limited time. I just don't have that much time to attend to the tasks within the mission/quests so that if I really wanted the reward, I would need to spend money for life points so I can speed up the tasks to be on time.

I do have some ideas though if EA insists on an online multiplayer component to the next The Sims game....

1) Why not create two separate game engines, one robust and innovative enough for strong single player gameplay and another less robust for the online component that work together? The single player component will be developed like it was in TS1 - TS3 and simmers will be able to build worlds, create mods for it, and fully customize everything they wish and still share them.

2) EA can create multiplayer worlds on the less robust game engine as vacation worlds on their servers where simmers can send their sims to socialize with other simmers and compete. No one has to worry about their own worlds getting messed up or having less features because of online mulitplayer limitations and it won't feel intrusive because the only thing being sent to the multiplayer side is the simmer's sims.

I think this could work. Plus, if the multiplayer side bombs and EA shuts it down, the single player side won't suffer - simmers can still play the single player side and still continue to enjoy fully featured, jam-packed EPs and SPs.

I got this idea because I have a few games from Steam where the single player and multi-player components are actually downloaded and installed separately. Plus in those games, you could also just download and install either one alone and won't need to install both if you didn't want to. The key thing is to be able to play our sims in either mode but maybe when sending the data for a sim online, that some of its features are simplified for faster processing over the internet, but still be all there for single player mode.

Also, creating two game engines isn't very difficult. Develop a fully featured and robust game engine for single player mode first, then make a copy of that for online multiplayer and strip away features to optimize for it.
    edited February 2020

Excellent post! It summarizes how EA has set up past sims multiplayer online games. It really hasn't changed much over the years. The main thing to see is that ALL of them have micro-transactions where you really can't get ahead in the gameplay without spending real money. I used to play The Sims Freeplay but I wasn't able to get a lot of the rewards you win completing the missions/quests simply because you need to complete them within a limited time. I just don't have that much time to attend to the tasks within the mission/quests so that if I really wanted the reward, I would need to spend money for life points so I can speed up the tasks to be on time.

I do have some ideas though if EA insists on an online multiplayer component to the next The Sims game....

1) Why not create two separate game engines, one robust and innovative enough for strong single player gameplay and another less robust for the online component that work together? The single player component will be developed like it was in TS1 - TS3 and simmers will be able to build worlds, create mods for it, and fully customize everything they wish and still share them.

2) EA can create multiplayer worlds on the less robust game engine as vacation worlds on their servers where simmers can send their sims to socialize with other simmers and compete. No one has to worry about their own worlds getting messed up or having less features because of online mulitplayer limitations and it won't feel intrusive because the only thing being sent to the multiplayer side is the simmer's sims.

I think this could work. Plus, if the multiplayer side bombs and EA shuts it down, the single player side won't suffer - simmers can still play the single player side and still continue to enjoy fully featured, jam-packed EPs and SPs.

I got this idea because I have a few games from Steam where the single player and multi-player components are actually downloaded and installed separately. Plus in those games, you could also just download and install either one alone and won't need to install both if you didn't want to. The key thing is to be able to play our sims in either mode but maybe when sending the data for a sim online, that some of its features are simplified for faster processing over the internet, but still be all there for single player mode.

Also, creating two game engines isn't very difficult. Develop a fully featured and robust game engine for single player mode first, then make a copy of that for online multiplayer and strip away features to optimize for it.
    Thanks and yeah Sims Freeplay and Sims Mobile are super annoying to participate in and I've tried both and got bored and my friends got bored too within a month.

The first one they did with the Sims 1 and the Sims Online. It worked out really well keeping them separate. The second one sounds like something Animal Crossing is doing when they release their game next month with a vacation world. They have a party play and best friend options. I've never had issues with server problems playing any of the Animal Crossing games, so it is something I am going to play with friends within the Sims community and beyond it. Why I think they need to bring MySims back because it would compete with Animal Crossing better for family play together. It gets a little awkward if teenagers want to woohoo with your Sim when you are an adult and an issue that came up with Twitch were multiple adult to kid mature chatting complaints of kids and adults being in the same server space.

The direct was really cool:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie4WZCLbtVs
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member

Not all of us! :wink:

I am proud to be in this category.
    Lu4ERme.gif