Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Single player has to be the main focus of the next Sims game

So rumours are going around that there is a 'new game on the cards that is both multiplayer and single player'

Okay, they are just rumours and hints but I will say this now. If this is going to be a new Sims game such The Sims 5 then single play must and I mean must be the main focus.

There is no way that I will was a game that is going to be focused on multiplayer as lets face it. Look at Sim City 2013. Look at Olympus. Look at the result that is The Sims 4.

The next Sims game has to take the series back to it's routes as it was in TS1, TS2 and TS3. It has to be done properly and it has to have full customization. No one has asked for a multiplayer game and no one will tolerate it if the single players are going to be pushed to a side.

Lets not pretend that the past few years have been good for The Sims. TS4 has had an awful start and should have ended by now. The focus on half done packs is not acceptable and as someone who has been with the series for the past 20 years I know what works and what does not. Our games have always been our own and I know that I speak for the very large majority who say that they want single player to stay. If you want an online game then that is cool but it can not and must not be The Sims.

Most us us have been waiting for years for a true successor of TS3 and I will be deeply disappointed if we go back down that route again.

So of course rumours are just rumours but I am already getting nervous.
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited January 2020
    Yes...just read it and it sounds like bad news to me to be honest.

Let's see.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited January 2020
    I think they can do both as long as the multiplayer features are optional.

I did not like Showtime for TS3 at all because it felt like it was always in my face no matter what I did. I also thought it was confusing. I had zero interest in sending my Sim anywhere.

I do like the gallery in TS4. I wish we could download Sims and lots with whatever CC was included though. I think that would be next level.

I never played TSO.

I’m not sure how they could implement multiplayer and still make it make sense. If they made a new world that was ever-changing where everyone had 1 house and you could go next door or go to someone else’s house kinda thing... maybe. But idk how they would implement that. Idk if it’s even possible. Hmm maybe if they have it like NBA2K where you have to request to be in a “certain session” where your friends are otherwise you’re just in a random session with random Simmers. It’s interesting though.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Yes...just read it and it sounds like bad news to me to be honest.

Let's see.

I am concerned :(
    @izecson wrote: »
    Even if the multiplayer aspect only allows other play to visit your neighborhood and yours will not be changed in any way I still dont want a stranger or even my friend to know what im doing in my game.

This! I have a lot of my own personality in the game and don't want people snooping!
    @telmarina wrote: »
    I agree 100%! I just wish the sims to be a single player game and i think that budget will be spent on this multiplayer facet and the single player part will be shallow. Too bad they think this way. Also really weird to read the part on sim's players wanting competition on their games?? Never saw anyone craving for competition on The Sims. Each one does whatever he/she wants with the game...

It is not like players compete for any vantage in the game. If you want to make your Sims money you either get them a job or you cheat. Up to you
    @Chazzzy wrote: »
    I think they can do both as long as the multiplayer features are optional.

I did not like Showtime for TS3 at all because it felt like it was always in my face no matter what I did. I also thought it was confusing. I had zero interest in sending my Sim anywhere.

I did not touch the online features with Shwotime
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,402 Member
    Looking at the desolate state of the Gallery, I don't think they have the capacities for a full-fleshed multiplayer Sims game. And even if TS is a harmless game per se, I can't see that anonymous adults and minors play a life simulation together.
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    This is awful! I think they confused competition with gameplay :s

They don't need to combine them, just make a S5 with a strong base for single players. Make a spinoff for multiplayers.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    The Sims Online that they are planning should be a Standalone game instead of a main entry in the franchise. This is the essence of the game. There are some games that are better to be singleplayer. I mean imagine, the team at Maxis. The Emeryville studio want to create the best SimCity they can do, but where forced to create a multiplayer game, causing a bunch of limitations. That would be the same in this franchise. The Executives knew nothing about the fanbase and the essence. It's the developers, yet they are being forced to do something that they knew the fans wouldn't want.

The only thing that I hope after this disappointing news is that multiplayer would be a standalone game.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    This is awful! I think they confused competition with gameplay :s

They don't need to combine them, just make a S5 with a strong base for single players. Make a spinoff for multiplayers.

Agreed. Sadly the publisher knew nothing about the game only the developers really know about what we wanted.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I remember the sims online and the failure that was. Also sim city 2013

But for some reason I see a large appetite for a sims multiplayer, either on the existing game or in a future game. I can’t for the life of me understand it and think that would be the worst thing ever but I’m not in EA’s target demographic.

I have no faith in a sims 5.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    As long as multiplayer is optional and the content caters to both single and multiplayer equally, I'd have no problem with that.

If the game is meant to be a 90% multiplayer experience with 10% single player stuff on the side, I ain't touching it. I'd rather buy and play one of the older games.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    They should make 2 separate games multiplayer so it can crash and burn and the main game single player and bring back what single player does best customization and game play. We are now suffering because we're dealing with an offline game that spent a large portion of its development time as a online game I never want to see that again.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    For so long I have been one of those blindly optimistic supporters of this game, but that has been slowly waning and I think that this is my breaking point. The fact that the part of Sims 5 worth mentioning is new elements of "social interaction and competition," honestly disgusts me. Yeah, no thanks. That is not what the sims is about to me. Sims is about escaping into a world of your creation, not competing with other people.
    At this point, I think Will Wrights vision is in the gutter. They don't care about heart and soul and innovation anymore, only money and popularity.
    I'm tempted to just abandon sims 4 and play sims 2 until Paralives comes out at this point...

Yeah i was a blindly optimistic myself too. I've played sims 4 for years! I couldn't play sims 3 because my pc couldn't handle it and sims 4... well... at least i could play. I heard people complainig from the beginning and although i could see what was lacking it was the only way of keep playing The Sims... but i can't anymore. I just dont have fun. All the lacking on the sims themselves... it's my breaking point too. I went back to 3 recently and with my more capable pc it runs smooth with a lot of eps and im having fun again. Im happy. But im also ready to a new iteration as long as the team really acknowledges what went wrong with this one. So today's rumors really make me sad. And also stating that sims players seek competition?? So far from true imho!
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    I personally have liked the Sims 4 (as I have enjoyed all previous versions of the Sims in their heyday), but I am very concerned at this news. I don't even want an optional version of the a multiplayer game in the Sims 5 to be included, regardless of there being a single player version, because it will affect how the main game is designed and what features are or are not included. I can't forget how the Sims 4 (originally meant to be an online game) was launched without ghosts, toddlers, terrain paints, terrain modelling, basements, and many other gameplay features that ought to have been included as they are now fundamental elements of the game. I also am afraid that an online game will mean that we will be back to the Sims 3 store or worse with in-app purchases and being nickeled and dimed to death. The Sims Mobile's dlc is disgustingly expensive and frankly the store there enraged me so much with its prices that, after merely downloading it and looking around a bit, I quit playing almost immediately and have never looked back. Finally, considering what happened to the Sims Online and what it devolved into, I would have serious concerns about any community functions (what they would be like) or the ability of strangers to come into my game and interfere with it. No thank you!
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    edited February 2020
    If this is EA's plan, I guess my main concerns are private security and how to protect our younger players while they play on
    line. Mixing older players with our younger players isn't a good idea. I prefer my privacy, but I know the youngsters out there like to share everything they do with the entire world. If this had been done in any previous version of the Sims my kids would not have been allowed to play online with people I don't know. As it was, I closely monitored their online activities and breaking my rules of having contact with people I didn't know meant they lost their PC priviliges for a time. Allowing unrestricted contact between kids and adults can be dangerous. And giving access to your PC to strangers isn't ideal no matter how young or old a player may be. It's like opening the door of your home to total strangers. It kinda creeps me out, to be honest. I never used Showtime as a way to connect with other players. It isn't something I found very appealing. And unless we are given the choice to participate or not, Sims4 will be the last iteration I play. After dealing with Sims4 for four years, I'm not ready to do this all over again anyway. Making Sims5 an online game will just make it much easier to walk away. EA tried to make Sims4 an online game in the beginning,too, and failed miserably. What makes them think another run at it will fare any better?
  • shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 250 Member
    And God Forbid, that some fool suggests, First Person play so we can really immerse in the game. Because taking this game online with the current mindset at EA?
    Will leave us watching someone else controlling our game. Not that that doesn't happen already with AI as overbearing as it is.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I don't care what they say.
    Single player will always be compromised in some way to entice/coerce players to play multiplayer.
    Multiplayer is only as good as the amount of people playing it and they will try to get us holdouts to play it.
    I am simply not interested in it when it comes to The Sims.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,387 Member
    So rumours are going around that there is a 'new game on the cards that is both multiplayer and single player'

Okay, they are just rumours and hints but I will say this now. If this is going to be a new Sims game such The Sims 5 then single play must and I mean must be the main focus.

There is no way that I will was a game that is going to be focused on multiplayer as lets face it. Look at Sim City 2013. Look at Olympus. Look at the result that is The Sims 4.

The next Sims game has to take the series back to it's routes as it was in TS1, TS2 and TS3. It has to be done properly and it has to have full customization. No one has asked for a multiplayer game and no one will tolerate it if the single players are going to be pushed to a side.

Lets not pretend that the past few years have been good for The Sims. TS4 has had an awful start and should have ended by now. The focus on half done packs is not acceptable and as someone who has been with the series for the past 20 years I know what works and what does not. Our games have always been our own and I know that I speak for the very large majority who say that they want single player to stay. If you want an online game then that is cool but it can not and must not be The Sims.

Most us us have been waiting for years for a true successor of TS3 and I will be deeply disappointed if we go back down that route again.

So of course rumours are just rumours but I am already getting nervous.

Agreed.
    telmarina wrote: »
    I agree 100%! I just wish the sims to be a single player game and i think that budget will be spent on this multiplayer facet and the single player part will be shallow. Too bad they think this way. Also really weird to read the part on sim's players wanting competition on their games?? Never saw anyone craving for competition on The Sims. Each one does whatever he/she wants with the game...

People have been asking for a competitor and now we have Paralives coming.
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    They should make 2 separate games multiplayer so it can crash and burn and the main game single player and bring back what single player does best customization and game play. We are now suffering because we're dealing with an offline game that spent a large portion of its development time as a online game I never want to see that again.

They maybe cause they have a new studio now called Maxistexas.
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited February 2020
    It sounds like it's going to be similar to the Sims FreePlay where a player has to approve a request from another player before they can visit your town. The visitor can't change anything while they're visiting.

FreePlay used to have events throughout the year that were pretty interesting. However, many of the more recent events seem to involve a lot of grinding for resources so I generally pass on those. The prizes are usually modern style furniture which I don't care for so I skip the events. The thing is, that if you do like modern stuff and you can't get all of the prizes this time around, the event will come back again and you can work on it then, unlike The Sims 4 that doesn't repeat some of the events it had in the past.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I personally believe that the title for this article is kinda misleading.

The CEO mentioned that "...As Maxis continues to think about The Sims for a new generation – cross-platforms and a cloud of a neighborhood world, you should imagine while we will always stay true to our inspiration, escape, creation, self-improvement, motivations – that this notion of social interactions and competition like the kind of things that were actually present in The Sims Online many many years ago – that they will start to become a part of The Sims experience in the years to come....".

It does not even mentioning the 'Next' game. He just gave out his vision on how the team should consider in developing the game. Perhaps, it's just another feature to be added in the existing game (ref-to start to become part of The Sims experience...) Which can also be considered as an option for the existing TS series, where we can turn it off as & when we want. Or perhaps, in a way where he wants to encourage the developers to develop a kind of packs that can encourage social interaction & competition or even make use of the current gallery for social interaction & competition (which as of now, it's cross-platforms). They also have The Sims Mobile where the players can interact virtually. Most of what he said is already here. Plus, as he said, they want to stay true to the current gameplay too.

Sometimes, we need to remember that, not everything 'new' need to be in the next/new game or only for The Sims PC/Mac/Console version. Who knows, TS4 could be their last. Maybe, the next simulation game is going to have a different title. Personally, I won't be nervous. I like & enjoy changes. I'm pretty sure my virtual world is not going to end if the game doesn't even meet my expectation. I can just not to buy/play & move on or even restart.

OID:- x4m1r4