Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Next generation Sims game may be single player and multiplayer...

Comments

• Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    If it does go multiplayer I wouldn't buy it . I have no interest in that whatsoever.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Multiplayer does not interest me at all. I don’t see how it can work for the sims as the whole point of the game is to make it your own with the sims and worlds and tell your own stories through them. If sims 5 is multiplayer then I won’t be interested and will continue playing 4. I play to escape the real world and others in it and create my own sim world that I wouldn’t want others playing in or even visiting. If this is true it seems an awful idea
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    On the one hand, the idea of being able to play with some of my friends - especially those that are half-way across the country - is really intriguing.

On the other hand, I share the same concerns about nearly every negative to multiplayer Sims that has been brought up in this thread.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    It was nice knowing you all :disappointed:

3u0U.gif
    5JZ57S6.png
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I really don’t understand why everyone is freaking out so much 🙄 If you don’t want to play multiplayer then don’t, that’s why there are options for you to choose. And people saying single player might be watered down due to multiplayer, well the Sims 4 is watered down and y’all are still playing that so what’s the difference 🤷‍♀️
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited January 2020
    I really don’t understand why everyone is freaking out so much 🙄 If you don’t want to play multiplayer then don’t, that’s why there are options for you to choose. And people saying single player might be watered down due to multiplayer, well the Sims 4 is watered down and y’all are still playing that so what’s the difference 🤷‍♀️

I'll try to explain to you why people are, um, "freaking out" as you so kindly put it. At least a few of the reasons, which you may or may not agree with.

This is a trend with EA games, fwiw, along with many other developers. Multiplayer means people pay more $$ in microtransactions. There's a ton of psychology behind it. But furthermore, they're appealing mainly to the people who the game industry refers to as whales. Whales want all the cool stuff, and they're willing to pay thousands of USD to get it. So that is who the game is made for, basically. It's no longer about fun and engaging play, but rather fun enough to ensure whales play and spend spend spend. A few non whales are good so the whales stay interested, but the game itself becomes less relevant than the store.

Sims itself is a sandbox game which is supposed to simulate life. Now, Sims 1, 2, 3, and 4 all rely fairly heavily on interactions with other sims. Now imagine if every sim you're interacting with is a real person which would be the case in a sandbox game with lots of interactions. Sims online had a real problem exploitation of underage kids. If somehow they were able to prevent that this time, the game would be heavily censored and/or limited, or you would run the risk of that new romance partner of yours actually being 12.

So say they want to avoid the above by not making it an open ended sandbox game but instead do what the mobile games do. Well, those games are popular I suppose, but to many people who really like the Sims franchise, boring.

There are more reasons, but my husband just walked in. I hope this is a good starting point for you to understand a bit better.
  • tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    edited January 2020
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Then I’ll explain. I want a worthy, great Sims game that focuses on quality and depth. Creativity, customizability, personalities, you know, depth. That costs money though. And it takes time. And they can only spend that time and money once. And if they have to spend it on the multiplayer part of the game, that means the part I’m interested in (single player, depth, complexity) will inevitably suffer. This doesn’t mean I’m freaking out, it just means I’m out.

(for the very same reason I’m actually not playing Sims 4)

🤷🏻‍♀️

The problem is everyone is saying it would mess up their idea of creativity and customizability for their game, well from my experience Sims 4 already does that. You have NPC in the game and the game dresses them in what they want whether or not you have went in and put specific outfits on them or not so to me the customizability is really not there when this happens. I had 4 families, each one had specific outfits and when I wasn't playing that family it went in and put them in outfits I had not chosen. I also have a habit of going in and giving specific clothing to the NPC, I wasn't playing but yet they were never put in those, just something the game chose.

This is one of the reasons I stopped playing Sims 4
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    For me that would be great, I could play with my boyfriend and friends. I have played MMO for a while now and have enjoyed the social aspect of the game. Most of the individuals I have met are nice and helpful. I have yet to be bullied in the 10-12 years I have played MMO's.

I am currently on the fence, while I LOVED The Sims Online, it was one of my favorite games, if they go to the direction of that I'm all in, but I am afraid it will be mirco transactions and just not all around good -shrug-

EA is actually not doing a lot of micro transactions anymore. When Anthem was being released they were going to do that and got into trouble about it. Now on SWTOR we have a cartel shop but nothing that is something you have to have. I would love the Online giving me the chance to play with my boyfriend. He brought this for me and when I told him what I was doing, he said I wish I could play with you. and playing solo isn't all that it is cracked up to be. I can get bored quickly playing by myself.

I honestly fail to see anything you could do "together" in Sims. But then I loathe multiplayer. I play games to get away from people, not play with them. But then again, as I said... how would playing together work? If I pause the game for 36 hours to perfect a build, how does that work online. And again, why?

As for Micro transactions: Hah. They only stopped because they started getting hounded by actual legal teams from governments. SWTOR was one of the games, together with Blizzard's Overwatch and FIFA that were being looked at for "selling lottery tickets to kids", and hence might have forced EA to simply close the games down in those countries, period.

Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    I really don’t understand why everyone is freaking out so much

Two words:

Sim City.

That's all you need.

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,861 Member
    I think I'd give it a try if it does happen and turns out to be similar to the play in Animal Crossing where you can visit other players' towns and purchase items or like Free Play where certain tasks can be completed in another player's town. If not, I'll be cool with 2, 3, 4, and Medieval.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2020
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Then I’ll explain. I want a worthy, great Sims game that focuses on quality and depth. Creativity, customizability, personalities, you know, depth. That costs money though. And it takes time. And they can only spend that time and money once. And if they have to spend it on the multiplayer part of the game, that means the part I’m interested in (single player, depth, complexity) will inevitably suffer. This doesn’t mean I’m freaking out, it just means I’m out.

(for the very same reason I’m actually not playing Sims 4)

🤷🏻‍♀️

The problem is everyone is saying it would mess up their idea of creativity and customizability for their game, well from my experience Sims 4 already does that. You have NPC in the game and the game dresses them in what they want whether or not you have went in and put specific outfits on them or not so to me the customizability is really not there when this happens. I had 4 families, each one had specific outfits and when I wasn't playing that family it went in and put them in outfits I had not chosen. I also have a habit of going in and giving specific clothing to the NPC, I wasn't playing but yet they were never put in those, just something the game chose.

This is one of the reasons I stopped playing Sims 4
    But I actually think a lot of Sims 4’s issues, especially its total lack of customizability, is caused by the fact they initially designed that game to be multiplayer as well. So if anything, Sims 4 proves to me this is not a road I want the franchise to go down. There’s something in that engine that consistently limits players to make their own choices and I think multiplayer might very well be the root for that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    When a gaming company says "online" and "competition", what they really mean is wallet competition. That's all online competition games ever are. There's also been an increasing trend among games to monetize housing and property ownership at ridiculous prices, where if you don't own property, you have no privileges.

Knowing this, combined with EA's track record, and having watched their corporate speak for so long basically leaves my reaction being that the scenario has a good chance of being some combination of this type of nonsense. Their business plan has always pretty much been "they'll buy it anyway"..... and it's still working for them so far. So corporate math makes something like this almost inevitable.
    I think I'd give it a try if it does happen and turns out to be similar to the play in Animal Crossing where you can visit other players' towns and purchase items or like Free Play where certain tasks can be completed in another player's town. If not, I'll be cool with 2, 3, 4, and Medieval.

They said "Competition" tho, which is keyword for "make you want to spend as much real life money as possible for benefits of some sort".
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

Exactly what joanne65 said. I stopped playing ps4 for this reason. Most of the games I use to play and love is now watered down on the ps4 version with microtransactions (they even want me to buy characters for a fighting game I already purchased)
    Many games lost its deep story and depth they use to have and they focus on online features that I don't want so I gave it up all together. I only play sims now. And now they are saying it might become like the games I hate...... 😆
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    When a gaming company says "online" and "competition", what they really mean is wallet competition. That's all online competition games ever are. There's also been an increasing trend among games to monetize housing and property ownership at ridiculous prices, where if you don't own property, you have no privileges.

Yep. The word "competition" always means "We want you to feel forced to spend money to beat the competition". That's why EA wants multiplayer games to begin with. Hosting servers isn't cheap, but worth it by far if you can make gamers pay real money for benefits (or better yet, imagined benefits).
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    edited January 2020
    $4 Braided Hair Box - only available in this limited time offer - Guaranteed to include two 'braided' style hairs for Female T-E PLUS a chance at this New Exclusive French Braid (Female T-E). These hairs won't be seen again after this Amazing Offer!! Get it now!

--

this
    x100
    thecatsred wrote: »
    $4 Braided Hair Box - only available in this limited time offer - Guaranteed to include two 'braided' style hairs for Female T-E PLUS a chance at this New Exclusive French Braid (Female T-E). These hairs won't be seen again after this Amazing Offer!! Get it now!

--

this
    x100

Well you will always get three hairstyles, but the random one might be one you already have. Too bad.
  • thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    It’s probably very early in development. I don’t think we should worry about this until we see what it may look like. Bad as EA is, I have faith that they’ll offer something passable for a base game. (I may also be tired of Sims 4’s game engine and am ready to take something new, regardless of what it is.)

I don’t know why they think competition is a good idea in a sandbox game. That gives the players goals.
    If this idea does pull through, I would like to see it implemented as a separate game, like ARK; Survival Evolved’s multiplayer.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Elliandre wrote: »
    Wow, I totally forgot all about Sims Online! I gave it a try, but I didn't like the game and quit very quickly. I don't like multiplayer gaming. I wonder how they will make both an online and a single-player game. I guess the good thing is that there are a few years left before they switch to Sims 5 because Sims 4 still feels new to me. Every day I'm discovering something in the game I didn't know about.

One thing I do remember now from Sims Online is that I really loved that tomato station and I wish it was in Sims 4! It's the only thing I liked from Sims Online. Anyone else remember it? It was really addictive and fun.

The_Sims_Online_909.PNG

Those are apples ^^

oooh right! lol was it apple jam? I can't remember exactly, but it was fun so fun. And the pizza one.
  • tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    edited January 2020
    For me that would be great, I could play with my boyfriend and friends. I have played MMO for a while now and have enjoyed the social aspect of the game. Most of the individuals I have met are nice and helpful. I have yet to be bullied in the 10-12 years I have played MMO's.

I am currently on the fence, while I LOVED The Sims Online, it was one of my favorite games, if they go to the direction of that I'm all in, but I am afraid it will be mirco transactions and just not all around good -shrug-

EA is actually not doing a lot of micro transactions anymore. When Anthem was being released they were going to do that and got into trouble about it. Now on SWTOR we have a cartel shop but nothing that is something you have to have. I would love the Online giving me the chance to play with my boyfriend. He brought this for me and when I told him what I was doing, he said I wish I could play with you. and playing solo isn't all that it is cracked up to be. I can get bored quickly playing by myself.

I honestly fail to see anything you could do "together" in Sims. But then I loathe multiplayer. I play games to get away from people, not play with them. But then again, as I said... how would playing together work? If I pause the game for 36 hours to perfect a build, how does that work online. And again, why?

As for Micro transactions: Hah. They only stopped because they started getting hounded by actual legal teams from governments. SWTOR was one of the games, together with Blizzard's Overwatch and FIFA that were being looked at for "selling lottery tickets to kids", and hence might have forced EA to simply close the games down in those countries, period.

Why? Because we like playing together. We have since SWG and we actually enjoy playing together. I hope that is a good enough reason for you to why we would like to play together. AS you say you don't like playing with people so you may never understand why those of us do.

And this would actually be a good time for us to agree to disagree.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
    thecatsred wrote: »

--

this
    x100

Well you will always get three hairstyles, but the random one might be one you already have. Too bad.

But surprise mechanics are fun! It's like a Kinderegg!

Why? Because we like playing together. We have since SWG and we actually enjoy playing together. I hope that is a good enough reason for you to why we would like to play together. AS you say you don't like playing with people so you may never understand why those of us do.

And this would actually be a good time for us to agree to disagree.

You misunderstand me. I can honestly not understand how multiplayer in Sims would work other than a "visit other people's games occasionally".
    Also I might be a tad aggravated since so many of my favorite franchises has been destroyed or severely worsened by adding or even forcing multiplayer. I am just afraid I am seeing it again.
    edited January 2020

EA hasn't stopped on microtransactions. They haven't even slowed down. They are letting up on loot boxes only because there are governments that are banning EA games that have them, and other governments are adjusting their laws so they can get them classed under gambling.

If someone is saying EA is cutting down on microtransactions I have to ask... in what universe?

https://www.slashgear.com/this-is-why-ea-wont-give-up-on-microtransactions-31608202/

Edit: It's easy to get confused because a lot of commentators are conflating them, but they are separate. Loot boxes are aimed towards getting people hooked on gambling. Micro transactions are aimed towards whales/compulsive spenders. Both are exploitative. And EA absolutely will put them in a Sims game as they have in the past (Sims 3) and have them in current Sims games as well (if you count mobile).
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited January 2020
    While this interview confirms absolutely nothing, there will be an online, multiplayer, and/or social component to TS5. I hope it’s optional, but it will be there. The gaming landscape has changed a lot since 2014 and TS5 will likely adopt even more of a service-based model than its predecessor. Of course, there’s no better way to support such a model than with online multiplayer and yes, cosmetic microtransactions.

I think much of the angst in this thread is coming from the fact that people know it’s inevitable in some way, shape, or form.