Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Overwhelmed which NRAAS mods do i need to run TS3 smoothly?

I feel like a dunderhead, so which NRAAS mods do i need to run TS3 smoothly? The list is so long on the website I found

https://www.nraas.net/community/Mods-List

is that the right link and my game lags or stutters and gets stuck.

Help please and thanks!

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited January 2020
    That really is a long list, and I don't think anyone could digest it all at once. But if you're only looking to improve performance and clean up errors, the place to start is with ErrorTrap, Overwatch, MasterController, Traveler if your sims travel, Register, and Traffic. Except for MC, all of them do their jobs in the background, on default settings, without your having to intervene. MC doesn't do anything unless you specifically run a command, but it's useful for its ability to reset anything (sims, objects, lots, the whole world) that gets stuck or seems broken.

There are several other reasons your game could be lagging and stuttering though. One is if you're playing in a world that's poorly made (Isla Paradiso is the most infamous) or too large to run well. Test a new save in Sunset Valley, Riverview, or Twinbrook to get a baseline for the game, and then you can compare performance there with your existing save(s) elsewhere.

Another important consideration is your in-game framerates. If you have even a mid-range graphics card, it can throw rates well into the hundreds and cause all kinds of problems. To check your framerates, bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "fps on" without quotes. A number will appear in the upper right corner of the screen, and it should never go above the refresh rate of your monitor: probably 60 Hz, maybe 120 or 144 if you have a high-end model. If you need help bringing down fps, let me know whether you have an AMD or Nvidia card.

There are plenty of other steps you can take to improve how the game runs, but this is a good place to start.

Once you get the game running smoothly, you can look into other NRaas mods, but it's simpler to add one or two at a time as you get used to having them in play. When you find you want an additional function in-game, you can add the mod(s) that enable that function easily enough.
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    If you get just one mod, get Overwatch. It resets everything at 3 a.m. unless you set it differently. The first night it runs, it might take a really long time. After that, it never takes so long. Error Trap is meant to stop a lot of things from going badly, so it's more hard core; but neither mod requires you to do anything. Though, when you get a message that someone is stuck or idle, you could try and find out why and change things to prevent that happening again. However, even if you ignore the message, the mod will unstick/reset the sim or animal in question. So you need to do nothing but create the required mods folder with a sub-folder for package files and the required resource.cfg file that basically tells your game how to use the files.

Take your time to read through the descriptions of what the other mods do. You might find some you'll like. Personally, I don't use Error Trap. But I do like Debug Enabler, Go Here, and No CD along with Overwatch.

Good luck!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2020
    It should also be noted that there are real live people (we only look like avatars) on the NRaas website and its discussion boards. We are always happy to help players with their journeys through the game and the usage of our mods as needed along the way. :)

And perhaps this page helps for those just getting started?
    http://www.nraas.net/community/Getting-Started-Using-NRAAS-Mods
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net