Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Okay Children and Toddlers are being SEVERELY neglected.

Comments

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I'm desperate for more toddler and child stuff too. They are lacking so much I get jealous of all the stuff I see ts3 and ts4 has. BUT on a positive note they said they "hear us" so maybe between this year (hopefully) or next year they will give it to us. I would go crazy to have toddlers, strollers,walkers,carriers,etc. Kids playing and chasing eachother, and normal sized playground stuff/pool slides etc. 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
    I think we just have to be patient.

....that doesn't make sense?

• bandit5bandit5 Posts: 917 Member
    I liked sims child interactions like mary mack marco polo when swimming and cops and robbers. And child sims could get tans and sunburns without mods in 2 and 3
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Yes, especially for toddlers. I'm playing with a long life span. With that, I managed to maximise all the 5 skills even without cheat. As of now, there's nothing much I can do with them except letting them roaming around & building up their characters.

While, I could still tolerate that the children do have an aspiration, unlocking more skills, after school activities, etc. But, I feel that there's something more that they can do besides than that, for example, an active after school activities (just like the active career) where they could do an exploration or summer camp (for both children & teenagers), which they could unlock certain collectable items (not with clubs) or skills specifically from that experience (i.e., survival skill) like the scout trait.

Perhaps adding in a specific lot type just for them like a playground/play-zone for example. For my case, I've thought that if I build a restaurant (something like kids cafe/kidzania) which is family friendly (includes the toddlers) where I created a play-zone, it would be a fun place for toddler play date or some group gathering for kids. I even dressed up the waiters, hostess & even the chef with fun costumes. Unfortunately, I can't have a play date for them, and it's nothing but just becoming a "weird" restaurant.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    sinra wrote: »
    Well, iirc Plumbella mentioned in a video that one of the simgurus said people don't play family style gameplay, which... imagine being that out of touch with a massive part of your playerbase. And that's not to say there aren't people in the other camp. A good chunk of players couldn't care less about familial aspects of the game and honestly, congratulations my dudes, you're catered to more than family players. And yes, I see you poor occult players too. I'm sorry.

The generational players do make up their fair share of the playerbase though, so I don't know where exactly they're getting that idea from. Especially considering the devs were bullied into releasing toddlers, and how within the three pack types the dlc that caters to realism and family style gameplay consistently ranks in the top three in terms of success within the first year of their respective releases, not to mention the realistic* players are absolutely the loudest in terms of voicing what they want to see in the game.

*I'm aware realism includes both camp millennial life simulator and camp suburban soccer mom. One just happens to be ea's favourite and I can see why the latter is so salty.
    What really with how popular the 100 baby and not so berry challenges there are? It just doesn't make sense especially with how much I see Game Changers play those challenges too. Plus being part of the family play thread for years. If they can't see how much more the player base grew since the introduction of toddlers I don't know what more can convince them even looking at their own financial statements of how much players like things like family play. Plus they have the numbers of the polls they have done regarding which supernatural Simmers would like to see next. Simmers are begging for more content beyond just CAS and sadly the Sims 4 is sticking to its five year old direction of not being a life simulation game, so it is not even realistic gameplay they are going after that they choose to ignore experts when designing the emotion system for the Sims 4. All play styles are suffering for all forms of game play at this point. CC artists can create CAS parts for free, so I don't understand why the Sims 4 is focusing on it so much. For all the flack that Paralives is getting for not showing gameplay yet, I don't see the Sims 4 doing that much better than an unreleased game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I'm desperate for more toddler and child stuff too. They are lacking so much I get jealous of all the stuff I see ts3 and ts4 has. BUT on a positive note they said they "hear us" so maybe between this year (hopefully) or next year they will give it to us. I would go crazy to have toddlers, strollers,walkers,carriers,etc. Kids playing and chasing eachother, and normal sized playground stuff/pool slides etc. 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
    I think we just have to be patient.

....that doesn't make sense?

I meant to say ts3 and ts2 lol typing too fast. Lemme go correct that.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    IF there is a reason why they are lacking content, it is because the theme of them packs are not focused to them. 2017 might be the best year for family players till mid 2018. Toddlers, Parenthood, Seasons, Toddler Stuff, and Cats and Dogs are released at that year, all giving more possibilities with family play. However with packs like Get Famous and Discover University I can't seem to see those young age group to have more activities since they dont fit the theme of the pack. Yep Uni has bikes but the focus was fleshing out higher education so it make sense.

We might say that Realm of Magic should have atleast included the ability for children to do magic, but it is like vamps over again. In Januaray 2017 SimguruNinja told us that if they included vampire powers for children, it would mean that no or less detailed skill tree. That would be the same for this pack. We can have children animation and spells but no alchemy. This is why Realm of Magic should have been an Expansion Pack. But since it is not, I can see the reason why they cant have magic for children.
  • Foxybabyhg3Foxybabyhg3 Posts: 11 New Member
    I think they're either really out of touch with the entire community or they're only catering for themselves. I've been around since the early noughties and Sims 1. I'm been in the online community since around 2003 when I discovered other players and CC. When TS2 came out it was a huge jump from TS1. Everyone on the forums loved all the life stages, and as the game grew with EP's & packs, every player type was catered to. Sims 3 was great too and again all player types were catered for. I don't know if these Devs differ from the last 2 games, but they seem very focused on YA/Adult whilst all the others were given minimum consideration. Babies were merely objects and toddlers left out altogether. In fact, it was that focused on only YA/Adult after buying the game upon release that I didn't play it for 4 years. Ive only been "back" since the beginning of 2019 with all the mods & CC to give me the game that the majority are crying out for. On all the forums, blogs and Faccebook group I'm in, almost everyone are talking about the lack of interest & consideration the devs have given to the "family-style" player. Its a life simulation game and they've taken a lot of the life right out of it.
  • Foxybabyhg3Foxybabyhg3 Posts: 11 New Member
    > @TS1299 said:
    > IF there is a reason why they are lacking content, it is because the theme of them packs are not focused to them. 2017 might be the best year for family players till mid 2018. Toddlers, Parenthood, Seasons, Toddler Stuff, and Cats and Dogs are released at that year, all giving more possibilities with family play. However with packs like Get Famous and Discover University I can't seem to see those young age group to have more activities since they dont fit the theme of the pack. Yep Uni has bikes but the focus was fleshing out higher education so it make sense.
    >

I would've loved to have seen private school being added for one (DU), I know obviously the main focus is Uni, but small things could've been added to the teen stage (graduation, prom, cheerleaders). Parenthood & Toddler Stuff only came because the community was quite rightly up in arms that the toddler stage wasn't with the base game which was either mismanaged work loads or they had no intention of adding them and only wishing to cater to the YA/Adult life stage. It's like they were trying to attract a new demographic but even the new player majority are family style players.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2020
    Maybe the Gurus have limited information. Like, people don't play with family stuff much because kids and toddlers never had nearly as much stuff to begin with, and Sims 4 took most of what they had away. When Sims 4 took a stab at fleshing out kids, they did well. Very well.

But then again, I take everything companies say with a grain of salt, because they keep their cards close to their chest and can skew facts to say whatever they want. I wouldn't be surprised if they purposely ignore why the younger stages get less playtime. It makes sense that young adults are the most popular and stuff, but still.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • RadioOwlRadioOwl Posts: 9 New Member
    I love family gameplay in TS4, so I agree with those here who say there doesn't seem to be enough. Someone else also mentioned how back in TS2 they had the ability to play Cops and Robbers, do different things in the pool, etc.

I will also point out that the only family related expansion pack that I have at the moment is Parenthood, so I don't have Toddler and Kid Stuff. However from the sounds of y'all talking here, it seems like there really isn't much to them. Is that right or wrong? Are they even worth it?
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    The kid stuff pack adds bedroom furniture for kids and a puppet show. I use it often but it does nothing for gameplay. Toddler stuff adds outside decor that has nothing really to do with toddlers and adds a jungle gym, ball pit, and slide for toddlers to use. I use the slide the most out of the pack as the other items are big for a regular lot. Again it's nice to have a couple of nice things for toddlers to do outside but no real long-lasting gameplay value. So if you like to decorate your kid's rooms and want some outside stuff for toddlers to do than the packs are worth it. :)
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I agree. I'm hoping for a generations pack with lots more for tots and kids soon.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    If let's say you guys have to pay $5 more for each EP, GP or SP for them to put in more CAS stuff for toddlers and children, would you be okay with that? Just curious. Cuz I'm guessing they don't put more stuff for these life stages as it will take time and more resources to make them. Therefore, more money is needed. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • sinrasinra Posts: 72 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    If let's say you guys have to pay $5 more for each EP, GP or SP for them to put in more CAS stuff for toddlers and children, would you be okay with that? Just curious. Cuz I'm guessing they don't put more stuff for these life stages as it will take time and more resources to make them. Therefore, more money is needed. XD

For just new CAS items? No. DLC is supposed to expand on the game with new content, but in S4 we rarely see it apply to everyone, only adults, leaving the concept of expansion quite lackluster at the end of the day. Whenever a new pack comes out it should apply to everyone in some way, of course within reason (SPs providing less than EPs etc.)

I would pay 5 or even 10 bucks more just to see gameplay features available for children. Taking Strangerville as an example, it's based on the show Stranger Things, which is literally a bunch of children getting involved and solving the mysteries within the show. Our children are stuck with four repetitive aspirations and can't get involved with the Strangerville situation at all.

And I'm not saying everything needs to include children completely, some things don't need to be directly copy pasted over to kids. Like how DU is specifically targeted towards young adults, but the introduction of bicycles with the pack absolutely should have included children. They could have given us reasonably sized stuffed animals of the university mascots for the kids. I definitely would have paid extra for ROM if children had something going for them when they're spellcasters, but they couldn't even do familiars right so, eh.

They really should revamp the amount of content that goes into our three pack types. Tiny living was a great opportunity to add ladders and bunk/loft beds, but because of the murphy bed they couldn't. Whatever these restrictions are they should be reconsidered, and I personally wouldn't mind if I had to pay a little bit extra for it because as things are right now it's plain stupid.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    While I do think toddlers in TS4 need more stuff, I actually find them more enjoyable in TS4. The base gameplay for them was more well-thought out. The TS3 toddlers were just recycled from TS2 but had a longer age duration, and they were neglected in their own ways. Toddlers in TS3 have no interactions at all with cats and dogs, while in TS2 and TS4 they did. It seems like a huge oversight to me.

Plus in TS4 we did get some bits and pieces of novel gameplay for toddlers, like the kiddie pool from Seasons, toddler play dates, and the toddler playground set from the toddler stuff pack. They even went back and patched the Outdoor Living tents to accommodate toddlers, as well as include a portable toddler bed for sims going on trips to Selvadorada or Granite Falls.

On that note, I feel like they did put in more effort to include toddlers in certain activities in TS4. In TS2 Bon Voyage, you couldn't take them on vacation or to community lots, while in TS4 you can take them pretty much anywhere.

Of course, I wouldn't mind the return of some old features too, like the stroller and the spring riders.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Children in TS4 are more of a mixed bag, though. Kids in TS2 had a lot more play interactions that didn't involve any toys or tech, like tag, cops and robbers, and red hands. We could use more of those in TS4.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member

I think they could give a bit more to kids and toddlers. YA females get the bulk of CAS in every pack - I wouldn't mind trading off a couple of items for something new for kids and toddlers. I can see that it might be a bit much for a stuff pack, which doesn't have a lot of items, anyway, but a cute university logo onesie or a sweatshirt for kids should have been in the DU pack.

I think we did get a new hair for toddlers in TL? It's identical to the new braid for adult females. Unless we got both in the patch?
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • doublenoodlesdoublenoodles Posts: 89 Member
    I would honestly be happy if they just patched in some interactions between children and toddlers. I'm not even asking for new objects, just the ability to play games together outside like tag, be mischievous together and just mess around. I feel like my sibling sims ignore each other because most actions are individual.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I agree that they need more content. Teens too. Specific content for them, not just stuff you can do as an adult too.

On the note of neglect...I was playing a household with toddlers and they went to daycare. One didn't get fed and was really sad but the moodlets for happy overrode it, so I had no idea he was being neglected (by the daycare, not me, but of course it was only a problem when he loaded back into my house) and he was taken away. Though they fixed that, smh
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    I'm really wondering if there's going to be a generations type pack coming this year that's full of toddler/child stuff. It isn't like them to ignore such life stages like this.

I absolutely hope so which is why I wanted to voice my opinion early in the year. It’s about time!
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Same as you, Chazzzy. But I also don't understand the oversizing of things in 4. Even simple furniture as dining chairs and kitchen counters seem very big to me. If we assume that a Sim is about, say, 5' 9"/6' 0" tall (around 180 cm). Isn't that the standard height of humans used for general comparison?

Omg I’m so happy I’m not that only one which has noticed this. I’m planning on making a thread comparing the oversized items in TS4 compared to TS3. It’s actually so ridiculous. Only because it was the last game and they do have a lot of similar items.
    I want more stuff for them as well. I do have a feeling a bigger pack more focused on them may be released this year. I hope so.

I hope so too..
    I actually feel like teens are more neglected. At least we got a childrens and toddler pack. We haven't had anything for teens at all.

Honestly I don’t know how to feel about teens. I feel like they are neglected but at the same time they’re not. These are the worst teens in any sims game in my opinion. They just don’t feel like teens to me. They feel like young adults. They can do pretty much everything young adults and older can do and they have the exact same hairs and clothes available. I find it so difficult to dress my teen sims because I feel like they look like 25 year olds trying to look young. It’s just weird. I kinda wish they only let teens wear teen specific items but that’s another topic entirely for another day.
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    All life stages aside from Young Adult and Adult are neglected in my opinion. The difference is that teen and elders get to do and wear all the things designed for YA by default, but that doesn't mean they get anything for them specifically. Because of that, the neglect is far more evident on kids and toddlers (and babies).

Some things that come to mind straight away:

Kids don't have play interactions with other kids, only talking (and to be fair the partners in crime thing).
    Kids can't play tag or anything in a group that doesn't require a massive object.
    Kids can't ride bikes even though Teens+ can (I am really sore about this one)
    Kids can't do magic nor have the mermaid form
    Kids can't help with gardening
    Kids don't have a kid's oven or any other toy for cooking
    Kids have the same (and only!) 4 aspirations since launch

Toddlers can't be added to clubs
    Toddlers don't have strollers
    Toddlers don't have any protection against the rain
    Toddlers don't have tricycles (should have been implemented with bikes, bikes should not have been a part of DU if they were not going to include the whole family)
    Toddlers don't spawn with their caregivers anywhere in the world, like they don't exist outside the household you are playing unless you force it
    Toddler's eating chair has been broken for ages
    Toddlers can't swim with their parent and floaties in swimming pools

The interactions between toddlers and kids are very limited.

Edit to add something that just came to mind: Elders are neglected to the point that when they retire, it doesn't even appear on their career slide, it just appears blank as if they were unemployed.

I love all of this! Thank you!
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    the bikes not being available for kids really 🐸🐸🐸🐸 me off

i hope they include bikes and those small little tricycles for toddlers in some future update or pack
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    It has been getting even worse lately. Vampires can at least dress their offspring in a couple of new clothes that fit some of the vampire aesthetics. But spellcasters can't. They made it possible for the offspring to inherit the trait, but not dress like their family. And yeah, university logo t-shirts or sweatshirts for toddlers and children is an obvious idea, especially since sims are allowed to have kids while going to school now. It wouldn't have been that hard, like someone else already said, to just cut a few YA female pieces to make room for a few for the younger kids.

I can see why they may not want to use animation resources to give bikes to kids in a pack specifically centered on YA. Hopefully they got the message about how much we would like them and will include them in patch content or a family pack soon.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited January 2020

Maybe, I'm in Canada though and that'd be $18 for a stuff pak so it'd have to have a lot more in it. What I think should be done though is less for adults/young adults instead. they have enough.

Honestly though, I don't think it'd be that hard to add in the same thing for kids/tots once they already have it for adults.