Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Murphy bed death

Comments

• CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    In the next update
    I had a supersim upgrade 3 murphy beds on one lot and had 3 sims constantly putting the beds up and down for an hour of real time. 0 deaths. If the rumour of deaths despite upgrade is true, it has to be incredibly rare. I've seen objects upgraded to be unbreakable actually break before, so if this has happened to someone I'd suggest it's the same bug and to report it.

I made need some kind of professional help...

Anyway, people know about the death. They know there is a way to prevent it. So why aren't they using it? I started a new rags to riches and when she had enough to buy a murphy bed I simply had her nap on the attached sofa until she could upgrade it /shrug.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    Never
    So far, I haven't had the fully upgraded one break down or close on my sim and I am testing for it. I am on the lookout for it because if the beds are still malfunctioning after full upgrades, then I agree that's a problem that should be fixed. Not nerf them because they are doing what they're supposed to be doing, but if they are still breaking down or snapping shut after being upgraded then that's a problem that needs to be fixed.

Me, I like the Murphy beds as they are, there's a reason that I've given one specific sim in the household a bed that hasn't been upgraded. Snap snap!
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Hopefully soon. I'm to scared to use it now. I love my sims and don't want them to die early, sorry. :D

Then upgrade the bed so your sims won't die. Don't ruin it for the rest of us. Sigh.

I have already posted a few pages back that I downloaded the mod and I no longer care what happens with the item with regards to nerfs. ;)
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Never
    With the micro home lot, I'm learning it is super easy to upgrade skills especially handiness which is cool because Murphy homes work really well with the tiny home design. I need to test further on how strong the upgrade bed is since that is a recent addition to the game. So far I haven't had any deaths. It is super common for the bed to fall on them. The Murphy bed I've noticed breaks about the same speed as something else in the house breaks. Also I would recommend people use the gnome lot trait if you don't want to use mods which will fix objects for you. I had all the sprinklers break when the bed did, so that was fun. I've been able to upgrade all the furniture fast without having to buy parts from the computer and it really has enhanced the handiness skill since the pack and patch came out.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited January 2020
    Never
    I am playing an overstuffed household right now, the one with the upgraded and unupgraded Murphy beds. I've had no deaths and there's 14 sims in the house. It closed on them a couple of times in the beginning but nobody died. They had the negative moodlet and wouldn't go back to sleep after trying to open it or sleeping in it and it closing on them. They autonomously upgrade and repair them. I noticed one of the housemates repairing the broken bed while a sim slept in it. I did eventually upgrade the second bed to the one that has it break less often and I don't think it broke again for several nights. The fully upgraded one has never broken down again.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member
    Never
    At least I hope Never. I don't kill my sims very often, if ever, but as its been said We knew the risk.

I also like having handy sims so fits nicely as I think any Sim that is going to build a tiny home should be handy in the first place. IMO ;)

"Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited January 2020
    It may be a while...
    I just had an idea of a challenge with the Murphy Murder bed. I'm gonna call it "The Murder bed survivor". :D
    I'm gonna put 8 random Sims (randoms from CAS) in a house with 8 Murder beds, one for each Sim. Then I will just watch... who will be the last one alive. That random Sim will earn the title of Murder bed survivor and I will include her/him on one of my saves as a character I'm going to play.
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    edited January 2020
    It just needs the odds tweaking slightly, when I was watching some of the streamers use it, almost all of them had their sim die the first time they pulled it down. I hope they don't remove it completely.

This is what I'm thinking too. I don't want it removed or nerfed but I feel like it happens a little too often, and as I mostly play single Sim households, I do worry that the Murphy bed death will end my game before I can make a start on upgrades.

The thing that doesn't add up to me, is the cost of the Murphy beds. They're so expensive (around §2,000 I believe?) so I would expect a higher energy fulfillment and better reliability. It would have made more sense to me if there was a really cheap version as well as an expensive version, then I could understand a cheap Murphy bed breaking and getting stuck so often, and probably wouldn't have any issue with the increased risk of death.
    Post edited by Plumbeeb on
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    In the next update
    I really like the feature and while I haven't tried it yet, most of my sims have handiness skills high enough to upgrade the beds. I'd rather go that route instead of reporting to EA because EA never does anything just a little. :|
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    In the next update
    It just needs the odds tweaking slightly, when I was watching some of the streamers use it, almost all of them had their sim die the first time they pulled it down. I hope they don't remove it completely.

This is what I'm thinking too. I don't want it removed or nerfed but I feel like it happens a little too often, and as I mostly play single Sim households, I do worry that the Murphy bed death with end my game before I can make a start on upgrades.

The thing that doesn't add up to me, is the cost of the Murphy beds. They're so expensive (around §2,000 I believe?) so I would expect a higher energy fulfillment and better reliability. It would have made more sense to me if there was a really cheap version as well as an expensive version, then I could understand a cheap Murphy bed breaking and getting stuck so often, and probably wouldn't have any issue with the increased risk of death.

There is no such thing as "tweaking slightly". We either have it, or they tune it and it disappears entirely. So if people don't want it to happen, then they can upgrade the bed so the odds are reduced or eliminated all together, or install a mod. I paid for Murphy bed deaths, and if they're going to keep coming into my game and taking stuff away, I feel I should start getting a portion of my purchase price refunded.
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    There is no such thing as "tweaking slightly". We either have it, or they tune it and it disappears entirely. So if people don't want it to happen, then they can upgrade the bed so the odds are reduced or eliminated all together, or install a mod. I paid for Murphy bed deaths, and if they're going to keep coming into my game and taking stuff away, I feel I should start getting a portion of my purchase price refunded.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't consider it to be unreasonable to ask for a better balance here, and I see no reason why it can't be done.

Murphy beds just weren't done very well IMO, regardless of the extra upgrades they came with. If they wanted such a high risk of death with the beds, then I think there should have been a cheap version where this would happen as often as it currently is, as well as an expensive version that's unbreakable from purchase. This would have suited players better because they get the choice. Those that enjoy the new death can fill their boots while the rest of us that just want to enjoy using the bed like any other in the game, can still do that - and all without the death being nerfed or players relying on mods if they can't/don't want to.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
    Never
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I just had an idea of a challenge with the Murphy Murder bed. I'm gonna call it "The Murder bed survivor". :D
    I'm gonna put 8 random Sims (randoms from CAS) in a house with 8 Murder beds, one for each Sim. Then I will just watch... who will be the last one alive. That random Sim will earn the title of Murder bed survivor and I will include her/him on one of my saves as a character I'm going to play.
    That sounds like so much fun. I had the idea of 100 baby Black Widow Challenge, woohoo then kill with the same bed.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    edited January 2020
    It may be a while...
    I'm sure it won't get removed. However, they can change the chance or set a condition where it is impossible.
    Murphy bed dangers are like in The Sims 3. They always have a chance to hurt your sim (either by crushing them or getting them suck in it) and even smaller chance of killing your sim.
    In The Sims 2, death by murphy bed was a really rare event. Your sim is in danger if they have really low mood and their body skill is under level 5. When these conditions are met, they only have 5% chance of getting killed by opening a murphy bed. So they are the safest in The Sims series (unless you have bad time maintaining their mood or they get non-fatally electrocuted and they lose their fifth body skill level due to that).

However, I have found a way around.
    Due to a bug, the remote won't appear in sims' hand when they open a murphy bed successfully. So, if you see a remote appearing in your sim's hand, immediately cancel the opening interaction. They won't go trying to open it and getting hurt. It can also prevent death as the death interaction appears as soon as sim steps next to the bed to open it manually.
    Also, I have noticed that murphy beds will only shake children and won't crush them. The test to see whether children can die that way or not showed me that they can't. So, if possible, have a child open the murphy beds.

The reason why I put "It may take a while..." is because it did with alien abduction and male pregnancy chances in Get to Work. Back then, it was more common for sim to get abducted by aliens and male sims almost always became pregnant because of it. Now it is really rare and male sim getting pregnant because of it is also rare.
    It may be a while...
    Scobre wrote: »
    That sounds like so much fun. I had the idea of 100 baby Black Widow Challenge, woohoo then kill with the same bed.

It's going to be a very short challenge. I started it and two Sims died already the first night. Grim Reaper hadn't even left the lot after the first death when the second victim died.
    I'm the person who doesn't enjoy killing Sims, especially my own, but this challenge is so ridiculous that I actually laughed. It's going to get more difficult later when I start liking those Sims, I already have a favorite and every time he puts the Murder bed down I'm afraid that he's the next one to go, lol.
    It's a great idea to combine two challenges (100 baby and Black Widow challenges). I failed at my Black Widow challenge because I felt so bad for the victims I couldn't kill them anymore. Let's see if I can go through this one. >:)
  • VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    edited January 2020
    In the next update
    I say around 2 updates or around that the bed might get nerfed to pretty much never happen. I can already see the patch notes

The Sims 4
    •"Fixed" sims constantly drinking water
    •Fixed toddler on roof bug
    •Fixed sims being stuck on the toilet

Tiny Living
    •""""adjusted"""" murphy bed death chance

Get Together because it's always in the patch notes somehow
    •Fixed the dang closet again
    EMrBkJP.png
    Never
    Scobre wrote: »

It's going to be a very short challenge. I started it and two Sims died already the first night. Grim Reaper hadn't even left the lot after the first death when the second victim died.
    I'm the person who doesn't enjoy killing Sims, especially my own, but this challenge is so ridiculous that I actually laughed. It's going to get more difficult later when I start liking those Sims, I already have a favorite and every time he puts the Murder bed down I'm afraid that he's the next one to go, lol.
    It's a great idea to combine two challenges (100 baby and Black Widow challenges). I failed at my Black Widow challenge because I felt so bad for the victims I couldn't kill them anymore. Let's see if I can go through this one. >:)
    I hope you have fun. I'm a family player and a deviant Simmer, so I get to play both good and evil towards my Sims. It can be fun having variety. Wow two birds with one stone nice. Oh wow so like Survivor, who will be the next victim. Sounds like a blast.
    edited January 2020
    Never
    So watching a SimmerDre stream on Twitch and this is 3rd time and counting. Well watching 5th time currently. But vampires are really hard to kill with the Murphy bed it seems:
    https://clips.twitch.tv/BashfulGrotesquePistachioBCWarrior
  • SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    In the next update
    I actually played with it for a week in-game with my Simself, and she survived. She was crushed once, swallowed... 3 times? But nothing caused her to die and she sometimes slept in the bed while it was broken.

However, I think they'll tweak the likelihood of death happening because... Well it's happened before with anything interesting (coughcoughalienscough ;-; )
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
    Never
    I have yet to kill a Sim too. So far just smashed.
    edited January 2020
    Never
    SimmerDre's Sim still won't die even after getting hit:
    https://clips.twitch.tv/TrappedSquareLardChefFrank

Classic vampire death took him after over 10 attempts:
    https://clips.twitch.tv/InnocentScarySwallowCmonBruh

So yes the Gurus were right during the Sims stream about the deaths themselves are rare.
    Post edited by Scobre on
  • UnknownGamerUnknownGamer Posts: 77 Member
    I can confirm upgrading it seems to remove pretty much all risk of being crushed by the bed. So there ya go, upgrade it. I’m sure it’ll still get nerfed like Vampires and abductions did though
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I have two Sims that I've been playing since TL released. Both are using the murphy bed and neither of them have died yet. They've gotten swallowed a few times and crushed once but are both alive and well. Bed is not upgraded at all. So it definitely does not need to be toned down at all. Much like others, I am tired of losing gameplay in my game because people bought packs that knew those things were in there, yet complained. That is one of the reasons why TS4 is a shell of the former games. People have become way too soft and can't handle anything.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
    edited January 2020
    It may be a while...
    I've been playing my "Murder bed survivor" for 6 Sim days and I have only 3 Sims left of the 8 Sims that I started with. I'm quite sure I'm gonna finish the game today (I started it yesterday). I can't believe how fast it's been, 5 Sims have died since yesterday. :o
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited January 2020
    In the next update
    EgonVM wrote: »
    I'm sure it won't get removed. However, they can change the chance or set a condition where it is impossible.
    Murphy bed dangers are like in The Sims 3. They always have a chance to hurt your sim (either by crushing them or getting them suck in it) and even smaller chance of killing your sim.
    In The Sims 2, death by murphy bed was a really rare event. Your sim is in danger if they have really low mood and their body skill is under level 5. When these conditions are met, they only have 5% chance of getting killed by opening a murphy bed. So they are the safest in The Sims series (unless you have bad time maintaining their mood or they get non-fatally electrocuted and they lose their fifth body skill level due to that).

However, I have found a way around.
    Due to a bug, the remote won't appear in sims' hand when they open a murphy bed successfully. So, if you see a remote appearing in your sim's hand, immediately cancel the opening interaction. They won't go trying to open it and getting hurt. It can also prevent death as the death interaction appears as soon as sim steps next to the bed to open it manually.
    Also, I have noticed that murphy beds will only shake children and won't crush them. The test to see whether children can die that way or not showed me that they can't. So, if possible, have a child open the murphy beds.

The reason why I put "It may take a while..." is because it did with alien abduction and male pregnancy chances in Get to Work. Back then, it was more common for sim to get abducted by aliens and male sims almost always became pregnant because of it. Now it is really rare and male sim getting pregnant because of it is also rare.

Yup, that’s my point. Part of the reason I bought GTW was alien abductions and now it’s pretty much gone. So, I spent $40.00 usd and they removed a percentage of my content that I purchased without my permission but yet I’m still out the whole $40.00. Then I am often told to hunt down a mod to replace something I already paid for? That’s baloney! Why can’t those who don’t want a feature mod it out? They buy the pack knowing there are these “risky” features because they want furniture and clothing and then demand that those other features are basically snatched away from those of us who not only paid for them but enjoy them. How is that at all fair?.

We all know there is no slight tuning back. There is the thing happens, or the thing never happens. There is no in between.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't consider it to be unreasonable to ask for a better balance here, and I see no reason why it can't be done.

Murphy beds just weren't done very well IMO, regardless of the extra upgrades they came with. If they wanted such a high risk of death with the beds, then I think there should have been a cheap version where this would happen as often as it currently is, as well as an expensive version that's unbreakable from purchase. This would have suited players better because they get the choice. Those that enjoy the new death can fill their boots while the rest of us that just want to enjoy using the bed like any other in the game, can still do that - and all without the death being nerfed or players relying on mods if they can't/don't want to.

In the livestream Ninja even said: non-upgraded beds have a high chance of breaking and broken beds have a high chance of killing and injuring sims. There was no ambiguity here.

They gave you the ability to upgrade the bed to virtually eliminate the possibility of death or injury. You refuse to utilize that option and so you think the fairest thing to do is have it pulled out of everyone else’s game instead? Really? Many of us shelled out our hard earned money for this feature. It wasn’t a secret. They tweeted it, it was in the trailers, they showed it in the livestream, it happened in many YouTubers early access videos all before anyone could buy the pack, because there is no pre-purchase of stuff packs, and you bought it anyway.
  • AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    > @Pamtastic72 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Yup, that’s my point. Part of the reason I bought GTW was alien abductions and now it’s pretty much gone. So, I spent $40.00 usd and they removed a percentage of my content that I purchased without my permission but yet I’m still out the whole $40.00. Then I am often told to hunt down a mod to replace something I already paid for? That’s baloney! Why can’t those who don’t want a feature mod it out? They buy the pack knowing there are these “risky” features because they want furniture and clothing and then demand that those other features are basically snatched away from those of us who not only paid for them but enjoy them. How is that at all fair?.
    >

Did they actually advertise that alien abductions would be a common occurrence or more of a chance encounter?