Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tiny Living SP - Early Access honest review

AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
Thanks to EA for allowing me early access to this stuff pack

Here we are again!

I had the whole weekend to play with Tiny Living and boy do I have thoughts!

Tiny Living as a concept is great. The problem with Stuff Packs is that since the game is (still!) lacking in some many aspects, they usually feel very short and to add salt to injury, this one does not only feel short, but random. Nothing about the build/buy catalogue says "tiny living", not even the "space saving" (we'll get to it later) murphy bed. The only aspect of the pack that aligns with the theme is the new lot type.

Let's dive a little deeper into all of these.

CAS

I wonder if the pack would have benefitted from no CAS at all or maybe one piece of clothing for each age group. Having this forced ratio of CAS + BB + gameplay object is very restrictive in the long run, specially for Stuff Packs that have a limited budget/resources.
The CAS in this pack is really nice and comfy looking, and most of the assets have great textures. But, I don't think the pack should have had any CAS focus. That way we could have had more attention put into the real aspect of the Tiny Living concept: building and living in a confine space.
In my opinion, TL should have come with just this pyjamas (with its really cute swatches) for all ages and the team should have put all their time and resources into the actual topic:
shrMtNo.jpg

But this is just my ideal scenario and not the reality. The reality is that a big chunk of the pack is dedicated to nice CAS assets and a couple of odd ones. So, I'll review them.

I'm looking at you and your texture!
7DG9tM2.jpg

Overall I really love most of the clothes but I wish (yet again) that kids and toddlers would have gotten some, that full outfit pyjamas would have been ideal.

Here are some of my favourite outfits:
YqUY67x.jpg

Hairstyles are hit and miss here. I really like the braided one for the women but I feel the other ones look a bit odd.
I like that the team has finally found the way/time to convert adult hairstyles for kids and toddlers and that they added the new ones in the pack for all life stages. In fact, one of them looks much better on a toddler than on an adult:
DDFeLTW.jpg

But I would really appreciate specially designed hairstyles for kids and toddlers.

BUILD/BUY

The furniture and clutter in this pack is BEAUTIFUL, absolutely stunning, I love it. However, nothing about it says "tiny living". Only the TV/bookshelf/music combo, that's it. Everything else is just normal stuff with normal footprint.
The murphy bed has the exact same footprint as a normal double bed and you can't put the ceiling lamp that comes with the pack on the area, with normal beds you can.
xHdmUbL.png
On the topic of lights, the standing lamp that comes with the pack is gorgeous but HUGE! not even with the move objects cheats can you really place it in a space saving way.
LbXdJVW.png

I mean, look at it next to a sim, it's massive.
DuJHG4K.png

Why would you include such a massive lamp in a pack about "tiny living"?

Another beef with the murphy bed is that there's no single murphy bed, only a double, why? And also, you stil can't put it by a wall and have 2 sims use it, which should have been implemented since the idea is to save space and if you can't place it against the wall, well, it takes too much space.
q39AyVM.png
(two sims can't use it placed like this, exactly like with normal double beds in the game)

And yes, you can use the murphy bed as a sofa when is not open but you can't place anything in front of it, no coffee table, no nothing. You can't even place a picutre on the wall.
BLphnwc.png

We also get another toilet (how many do we have already?) and 3 chairs, that take up the same space as any other chair has had in the past. And like this, with every object in the pack.

Absolutely beautiful furniture but it has nothing to do with the theme. You still have to play around with the move objects cheat like crazy, everything is like in any other pack size wise.

The new lot type

The new lot type is a really cool idea and I love that there are 3 different tiers. Building a Tier 1 is a lot of fun and really challenging, specially because all the new objects being just normal size, maybe they did it on purpose so it would still be a challenge to build? :D
And building a Tier 2 for a family of 4 is also interesting.
However since we barely have any small lots and we don't have the option to change lot sizes, most tiny homes look a bit silly in the middle of the lot. I like lanscaping in the game and you can get really creative but it would be nice to have options.
I built this Tier 1 home for a couple and their dog and I really enjoyed myself.
VVjK3Qw.png

I also build a Tier 2 home for a family of 4 (parents and toddler and kid), and that was fun too, specially trying to fit activity objects for each life stage.
cKwg4NM.png

The tiers come in my opinion with way too many perks and positive moodlets. I wish the gameplay would be as fun as building with the new lot type, but it's not, it's just happy happy happy.

CONCLUSION

The them does not match the content very much. CAS is pretty and the build/buy objects are absolutely stunning. The new lot type is fun if you enjoy building but the gameplay is meh, although I appreciate the details of the new ghost having special interactions and most of the murphy bed shenanigans.
But the point of Tiny Living is completely missed. And that, is a huge BUT.

Here are some more pics:
dkFGBXx.png
5AT9o7Y.png
NfN4HHa.png
DY2bCxn.png
MqiBtoN.png

EDIT to add this info about how to get 2 sims to sleep in a double bed against the wall.
So I’d like to comment on some misinformation. Two sims CAN in fact use a double bed when placed next to a wall. There’s a scoot over animation that happens.

I have tried since I read your comment without success, then I came accross these:

Very interesting!
Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
All my creations are CC free.
Post edited by AlbaWaterhouse on

Comments

• FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Thank you for your review! That floor lamp is huge, didn't seem huge when they showed it (but there wasn't a sim standing next to it).

Two sims can't use the Murphy Bed if placed by the wall? I thought they could slide over to it? I usually always play singles, so I don't know about this.

Nice to know about the perks, I was curious about them. Happy all the time then?

We can build on any size lot though, so guess I will try on a 30x20 first and stay away from the smallest lots placed in the game? Wait, are you on 30x20? Isn't ComfyCubby and Oak Alcove 30x20?

@AquaGamer1212 Great, I thought two sims could use them when its against the wall!
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited January 2020
    So I’m curious, what do you do to warrant being a Game Charger? You have a YouTube? Popular Tumblr? Sims-focused website? Or do you only post reviews to this forum?
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    @AquaGamer1212 Great, I thought two sims could use them when its against the wall!

It’s a bit tricky, for me I had to click on the wall side of the bed twice. BUT it did work which I’m very happy with. I thought the animation was really cool too. Hope they add reading in bed and such later on.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

Chazzzy wrote: »
    So I’m curious, what do you do to warrant being a Game Charger? You have a YouTube? Popular Tumblr? Sims-focused website? Or do you only post reviews to this forum?

There are different unofficial tiers to being a game changer I’ve seen. Tier 1 is the forum/blog game changers who get early access. Tier 2 is the Youtubers who get early access. Tier 3 are the Youtubers/streamers who have a ton of followers and get flown out for events.

• AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member

It’s a bit tricky, for me I had to click on the wall side of the bed twice. BUT it did work which I’m very happy with. I thought the animation was really cool too. Hope they add reading in bed and such later on.

Really? That is great. I will try again then. And I'll update my OP when I do so :)
    Thank you for your review! That floor lamp is huge, didn't seem huge when they showed it (but there wasn't a sim standing next to it).

Two sims can't use the Murphy Bed if placed by the wall? I thought they could slide over to it? I usually always play singles, so I don't know about this.

Nice to know about the perks, I was curious about them. Happy all the time then?

We can build on any size lot though, so guess I will try on a 30x20 first and stay away from the smallest lots placed in the game? Wait, are you on 30x20? Isn't ComfyCubby and Oak Alcove 30x20?

Thanks!

Those 2 lots from New rest are 20x15.
    And yeah, the perks are super positive as far as I could experience. With the micro home (tier 1) you get so many!

Really? That is great. I will try again then. And I'll update my OP when I do so :)

Hopefully they added the functionality to the Murphy beds 😊

There are Game Changers from every platform and many different cases.
    As for myself, it's not for writing reviews here, it's for Gallery content.

Is your gallery name the same as on here? 😊

Is your gallery name the same as on here? 😊

Yes :)
    Thank you @AlbaWaterhouse I will start with a 30x20 then. I really like that it counts the tiles for me, love how they added that!

I think I will try to place a picture holding the Alt key (without activating cheats) and see if I can place a pic on the wall somewhere around the bed. I love decorating my homes and hope they don't look bare on the walls with a Murphy Bed in a tiny room, LOL.
    edited January 2020
    Thank you @AlbaWaterhouse I will start with a 30x20 then. I really like that it counts the tiles for me, love how they added that!

I think I will try to place a picture holding the Alt key (without activating cheats) and see if I can place a pic on the wall somewhere around the bed. I love decorating my homes and hope they don't look bare on the walls with a Murphy Bed in a tiny room, LOL.

With cheats you can definitely do that!
    Edit: I guess hahaha didn't try myself, but usually it works that way.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited January 2020
    Thanks for the review. It's disappointing they couldn't at least give the objects a smaller footprint. So many objects in the game already have ridiculous footprints for their size. Tiny living really would have been the place to address this. Not to mention things I've seen asked for over and over around here, like small telescopes.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited January 2020
    Re: the giant lamp, does it size down well with the [ key? I know some of the candles don’t because the candle sizes down fine, but the flame hovers in midair above it, and mirrors and windows don’t resize well at all. They get really funky. But if the lamp will then moo can be employed to overcome the red footprint of doom :D when placing it.

ETA: thanks for your review by the way. I’m still super excited for the pack, because I just love the way the CAS and BB looks, and I love that there’s a new death and a new ghost. To my estimation no pack is perfect but I think this still looks like a good one.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited January 2020

Ah yes forgot about the people on the gallery with hundreds/thousands of uploads, favorites, and/or downloads.
    Re: the giant lamp, does it size down well with the [ key? I know some of the candles don’t because the candle sizes down fine, but the flame hovers in midair above it, and mirrors and windows don’t resize well at all. They get really funky. But if the lamp will then moo can be employed to overcome the red footprint of doom :D when placing it.

ETA: thanks for your review by the way. I’m still super excited for the pack, because I just love the way the CAS and BB looks, and I love that there’s a new death and a new ghost. To my estimation no pack is perfect but I think this still looks like a good one.

I wish they would change that. Some mirrors can’t be raised or lowered, I’d like them to be able to be resized too :/

• Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

I wish they would change that. Some mirrors can’t be raised or lowered, I’d like them to be able to be resized too :/

I wish the would too. You can raise mirrors with ctrl+9 but, there’s a limit to how high they’ll go, and you can’t lower them.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    edited January 2020
    The lamp sizes down quite nicely. I sized it down to table top size but wasn't able to place it on a side table. Maybe with MOO.

xmKcLBX.png
    Pic courtesy of EA Early Access.

Great review @AlbaWaterhouse
    It looks nice sized down @simgirl1010 !

I love that lamp, my comment was more to use it as an example of how odd it is that most objects in the pack are not focused on the theme of "tiny living".
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    It looks nice sized down @simgirl1010 !

I love that lamp, my comment was more to use it as an example of how odd it is that most objects in the pack are not focused on the theme of "tiny living".

I agree. I would have loved some combo kitchen items.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Thank you for the review. I wonder, what happens if you place down objects in front of the murphy bed with moveobjects. Does the animation bug out when they are trying to fold down the bed?
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited January 2020
    Definitely agree about the CAS, I feel like it would've been much better for the pack to be solely about furniture since sweaters don't really provide any benefit for making tiny homes. This pack seems a nice idea but just seems a bit lost in direction, ladders, sofa beds, smaller couches, thinner kitchen worktops and maybe a raised bed that you can put furniture under would've been much more effective for the "tiny home" style

It's not all bad though, I really like how there's a couch on the Murphy bed so it's not just a weird wall and it's actually usable space rather than having dead space like in previous games, it'd be cool to place it in a living room for example and just fold it up and use it as a couch in the day and a bed at night and I do like the art style and the challenge aspect
    logion wrote: »
    Thank you for the review. I wonder, what happens if you place down objects in front of the murphy bed with moveobjects. Does the animation bug out when they are trying to fold down the bed?

Yes, if you have time could you possibly place down a love seat via MOO and then lower the bed? I wonder how bad the clipping would be 🤔🤔