Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

20 Years of Sims

Can y'all believe it's been 20 Years of the Sims?

Comments

• Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    Since I came to the Sims in Dec 2016, it’s only been three years for me going on four as of the 3 yr badge in April 2020. But yes, I have seen Sims game boxes around for the past twenty years. Of course when Sims 1 first came out in 2000, @Featherbelle was still in Louisiana and I was working at H&R Block Canada head office as a seasonal accountant. My fiancee (at the time) and I were making plans for her to come up in July. So I did not think about buying the game. @Featherbelle and I got married in August of 2000.

By the time Sims 2 came out in Sept 2004 my wife and I were parents two times over.

Sims 3 came out ten days before I turned 39. And at least 4 months before my wife found out she was pregnant with our daughter.

Sims 4 is the only one that hasn’t come out on, in or around some sort of milestone in my life.

So anyways, ever since I started playing the Sims, I’ve started to realize just how much my own experiences have intertwined with this game. Even though my own personal playing of this game didn’t start until after the current iteration came out.

All I can say is I hope the Sims series doesn’t go the way of SimCity...

LONG LIVE THE SIMS!!!

I hope Sims 5 is a worthy sequel.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • AaeiynAaeiyn Posts: 521 Member
    edited January 2020
    @Nikkei_Simmer Been a general Simology fan, since the late 90s back when SimCity3000 was huge. Which if it wasn't for that Game, we wouldn't have the Sims ;)
  • MKSizzleMKSizzle Posts: 557 Member
    Wow. I've been playing Sims from the getgo. It's funny, I literally remember the very first time I got it. We were in the computer store and my mom showed it to me and said "this sounds like it would be right up your alley". Mother, you could not have been more right. It was that night that I became a Sim addict.
    The Palmer Legacy -- Generation 1

It all started with Zack & Blair....

• MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I played Simcity in the 90s. I didn't know about the sims until after my son was born. My husband bought it for himself and tried it for a few hours and hated it so left the disc on my desk. I was a bit busy raising my son and settling into a new country to play it immediately but eventually gave it a try and thought it was fun. I can't say I was hooked because life was quite demanding back then. When my son was a toddler TS2 came out and I had more free time on my hands and TS2 was so charming that I would spend hours playing, often with my son on my lap :) When I read that TS3 was coming out, I knew I had to have it and got it the week it came out and have spent more hours than is healthy playing it over the years :D
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited January 2020
    It'd hard to believe. I've played them all since the start
  • thebriamonthebriamon Posts: 377 Member
    I remember my dad buying the sims 1 when it game out. We had to return it the first time because the laptop we had was terrrrrrible, but he later got a better one and we got the game again. We played through the Bob and Betty Newbie tutorial and immediately after we set Betty on fire with a grill. I wasn't able to get all the EPs for that one because my parents were the ones in charge of getting them, and my computer had limitations. TS2 came out around when I graduated high school, and I played that an awful lot. I even took a laptop with my sims with me on my honeymoon in 2008 :D

I had a computer made for TS3 and my husband left early in the morning on the day it was released to get it for me. I was in the early stages of pregnancy with my first son and I remember I had to leave playing WoW because morning sickness while I played that game would make me really dizzy, so it was perfect timing for the sims, although I remember feeling so frustrated at the lack of CC in the first months, and all the hiccups with story progression.

Years have passed, obviously. I've tried TS4, but I just can't get into as much. I think it's beautiful, but the gameplay is lacking for me. I've modded the heck out of TS3 and it's nice not having to worry about patches and updating. I can play pretty often, even with four kids now, going on 12 years of marriage. I hope there is a TS5, and if there is, that it's a decent upgrade, but TS3 has been pretty great and stable now that I've figured out a good balance of modding, CC, and a decent computer.
  • SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 814 Member
    I was only seven when The Sims came out, and at the time The Sims was released, my mother had just given birth to her last child, a boy, and we were in the proccess of moving to a new house as the street we lived in at the time was being demolished. Three years later, I was reaching the next stage in my life, going to Secondary School, and so my parents brought a computer for when I have homework. In 2005, I went to visit my grandmother's house and I saw my cousin, upstairs, on her grandmother's computer playing The Sims 2. I asked my cousin if I would like to play, and she said I can, but she was going to return the game to her friend once the half-term holidays were over; I created a family, consisted of an elder named Daphne Molyneux, her children and her grandchildren. Within a day my cousin sent Daphne and her family over to her Sim's pool party and ended up drowning them. Afterwards I asked my parents if I could get The Sims 2, and I received the game and the Expansion Packs for my birthday. In 2009, The Sims 3 came out, but I was feeling depressed at the time due to the fact I was struggling to get into college that I didn't ask for The Sims 3; my sisters were reaching the age I was when I discovered The Sims 2, but they decided to wait until they have their own laptop. My yongest sister got a laptop first, and she had installed Sunset Valley, Riverview and Hidden Springs on her laptop; she even started building up her SimPoints by watching adverts. Then my younger sister got her laptop and she too, got The Sims 3. By that time I had managed to stop having "bad days" and in 2016 I received my kitten, named Dexter. Dexter cheered me up and in 2017, I finally got The Sims 3. By that time my sisters had finished University and had amassed a collection of Stuff Packs and Expansion Packs and was looking at The Sims 4. The first time I played on The Sims 3, it was without Mods and CC. In 2018 my sister added some Mods and at the same time, I was looking at CC hair. After trying a hairstyle on a Sim, I decided that I would be better off with retextures of CC. Sure enough, after accidentally deleting my Mods folder, my sister loaned me her memory stick which contained the missing Mods as well as some CC. I continued to work on my Expansion Packs and Stuff Packs, and as of 2020 I only need one Expansion Pack to buy and four more Stuff Packs. I am hoping to have at least a significant amount of items from the Store, and my long-term goal is to have as many items from The Sims 3 as possible, so if I do move on to The Sims 4, when I want to go back and play on The Sims 3, I would have a variety of items installed to choose from. I plan to buy several memory sticks in the future to back up my files in case my laptop gives up the ghost. Here's to another 20 years of The Sims
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I first played in Easter 2000 whatever month that was.

Looking back 2000 was the last year of the 90s!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    wow it is hard to believe that I have been playing the sims for 20 yrs. My Granddaughter gave me the sims for my Birthday, best present I ever got. The fun just keeps on going.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited January 2020
    Aaeiyn wrote: »

Haha i don't know if i feel nostalgic or old :) i was in my uni or maybe last year on high school when i read on a game magazine about sims 1. I got it right when it went out. Im engaged since day 1. Have spent times in and out during this 20 years but there's something i know for sure: i always come back to the game of my life :)
    Post edited by texxx78 on
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I am getting old..I can remember the day I got a brand new copy of The Sims....some of the best memories of my life <3 This game has got me through so much.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2020
    I was not a very young man when I first played TS1, having had years of fun with SimCity up through 3K at that point. Couldn't play all seven of the TS1 expansions either, my Mac at the time was also getting on in years, but was thrilled to find that Unleashed (the TS1 version of Pets) would run just well enough on it to be enjoyable alongside of around three others. It was still great fun, though a bit disappointing when a household reached the end of all that I could ever have wanted them to do since children never grew up and adults never aged. But there was so much gameplay, things like time management and career progression were so challenging, and there were so many funny little things to discover all over the place even as time went on.

Took a little break there, never did get to play TS2, and when I bought another new computer in late 2011 this time with a capable graphics card and found that while the new version of a different game I had been playing for years did run very well on it, the new version was far too different from the original and just no fun anymore. So, let's go shopping online and give this TS3 thing a whirl since by coincidence my new computer's specs met all reasonable requirements for the game. I sat down one night, created a sim, decided I had no idea what I was doing, deleted the save, and went to bed. Tried again the next night and did a much better job of it, placed that sim into a new game in Sunset Valley, and gave him what I thought would be a challenging job. No one ever told me that we were "supposed to" start the game over again every once in a while, so that is still the same game I am playing today, when I actually have time to play, and that sim I created became the great great (etc.) grandaddy of all the rest of them now spread out among various other worlds.

So my history with Sims games is a bit more disjointed than some, and somewhere along the line I seem to have become associated with an allegedly popular mod site (still not quite sure how that happened), but it does feel like we have been together for about 20 years by now. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    It's been fun reading your stories, and although I have been aware of the Sims during all that time, I was never really interested in playing it - I was into other kinds of games. I'm pretty sure I got the Sims2 for free at some point and never even gave it a single look. I bought the Sims3 Starter Pack in 2013 in a bundle, but again, I didn't really buy that one for the Sims3. Not sure when, but I started a game at some point in Bridgeport, because that was what that starter pack suggested. It was some guy who lived in an apartment where it took him nearly an hour to get out of and who was working in the culinary career, which meant he had no social life because of those work hours, aside from some vampire (whom I didn't recognize as such :smiley: ) and the dysfunctional daughter of the mayor (which I also didn't recognize at that time) coming over for visits sometimes. That game went nowhere, and I thought it was just tedious, which resulted in another break of a few years. Oddly enough, what brought me to come back was someone mentioning game oddities, and one example that was brought up was playing the guitar in the Bridgeport subway. That made me curious, and I had to try that out. I noticed I was playing this the wrong way. Soon enough, that guy was living in a villa on the other side of the river, with wife and kids, "friends" in all the clubs and high rises, and with the Grim Reaper calling him for a date. That was actually fun. The start was late, but I'm still here :smile: .
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    I prefer not to think about how long it's been lol. I've played probably 16 of those years.

I do remember walking to school with a friend and she was talking about this new game... I think it was shortly before it actually came out but somewhere around release. I thought it sounded soooooo dumb. Granted her take on the game was something about "getting jobs and whatever. But they can "woohoo" isn't that cool?" 8 year old me didn't really care. 8 year old me was just moving into the area and more occupied with that and thinkimg her new friend was weird lol. My friend couldn't remember the name of the game at the time but I eventually pieced together that it was the sims.

I started playing just before Sims 2 came out when my mom got a copy of the game after a coworker recommended it. She thought I would like it so she let me play. Well here we are today and I... well I never play anymore lol but that has more to do with life than the game. I still very much love the game and my mom has no clue my addiction is her fault lol.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    I can, but I can't at the same time. :lol: Time flies faster than the speed of light the older you get! I was so young when The Sims first came out... like... 15! :grin:

Here's my story with the Sims. I dunno how many of you feel like reading this "novel," but...

I actually wasn't introduced to the Sims until 2004, only a mere couple of weeks before The Sims 2 came out. It was during my college days (just started my second year) and one of my roommates had a computer that she actually let all of us use! :blush: I caught her playing this game one day :smirk: and it looked really interesting so I asked her about it. She told me all about it and she encouraged me to play it. (I will love her forever for that. <3 )

I got WAY into playing The Sims for about a week, then my roommate informed me that The Sims 2 was coming out next week and she was going to buy it! I was just glad I didn't have to. :lol: (I was a very poor college kid, what can I say? )

Once she had Sims 2 installed, and wasn't playing it, I got on there and started to recreate my own, real life family. :mrgreen: I did my Dad, Mom, 3 older sisters and 2 older brothers. I think I thought that was enough for one household because I don't remember creating myself or my little brother. (It wouldn't have allowed me to have my little bro on there anyway because I think 8 was the max for a household then too...or was it 6. 🤔 Who knows I never remember anything. :p ) Anyhoo I think I set my oldest sisters and oldest brother as children (so 3) and then made my second oldest brother and oldest sister above me as toddlers (2). Why I didn't have any of them as teens I can't remember. I think I was trying to see what life was like for my mom having 5 children under the age of 12! :joy:

I was having a BLAST playing! :smiley: However the rookie simmer that I was, and not knowing a thing about cheats, my mom got so busy caring for the kids that her needs were forgotten and somehow...she died. :cry: I dunno if it was starvation or what, but when that horrifying music started playing as the Grim Reaper made his appearance and he took away my mother I just stared at the screen like this:

1452107.jpg?imageId=1452107&width=480&height=274

My heart was breaking on the inside it was SO sad! Witnessing my dad and all my siblings standing around mom's body crying their eyes out! I think my dad pleaded for her life, but Grimmy said, "Heck no!" and slashed his scythe at him. I was so devastated by what happened in fact that I refused to play the game afterward. And it would be years before I played it again...
    (I'm pretty sure this is why I never created me or my family members in the game for a LONG time. I still won't create my family members, but I did finally do a "Simself" - there was a trend going on ;) - 3 years ago.)

Flash forward to 2006, not long after my husband and I got married, I discovered he had the original Sims disk and most of the expansion packs. He also had The Sims 2. :smirk: He really is my kind of guy. <3 So we got back into simming together and he taught me all the ropes and the cheats! :lol: The game had been reborn to me and I've been a simmer ever since. :star:

I have fond memories of us playing The Sims 2 together in our tiny military housing computer room together, 2 desks beside each other, at the same time. :blush: He was the builder, I was the player...and it was a joy seeing what each of us came up with. I miss those days...
    Then he was deployed to Iraq during the "surge" and was gone for 14 months. I played the Sims 2 all the time in his absence...it's how I coped with everything and I am forever thankful to this game for that. <3

When he returned home from Iraq we continued to play Sims 2 together for a while, but then he pursued other interests while I kept on playing and playing. :)

Flash forward to 2009: In my great anticipation for The Sims 3, hubby bought me a brand new computer (Christmas 2008) and it was the best gift ever! <3 As soon as Sims 3 was released that Summer I bought it in a heartbeat and it ran beautifully on my brand new, Windows 7 computer. :star: Ok, maybe beautifully is an overstatement because I experienced all the crashing woes of the game in its earlier days just like many of you did and it was frustrating for sure, but having that open world oh man...that was my LOVE and I haven't been able to go back. (Why I don't play The Sims 4...and for other reasons. It's personal preference.)

Our daughter was born in 2011 so my simming had been put on the back burner for a while, but I still played it as often as I could. It was my escape from everyday life, a therapeutic coping mechanism, and it still is. ;) I also bought up every expansion pack that interested me and would download tons of CC like I did back in the Sims 2 playing days. :mrgreen: I learned many a lesson back then about being careful with CC...
    Remember when you had to go back and replace certain CC after a patch came out so that it would be compatible with the new patch? Man, I don't miss those days! ('No mosaic' anyone? :lol: Had to have it! )

We moved to Utah in 2013 and it took a bit to get settled into a place of our own so there wasn't much simming going on. That and having a 2 year old. :flushed: In 2014 that's when I really started to become a die hard Sims 3 player. :mrgreen: In fact I was introduced to "Challenges" around that time because I found myself running out of ways to find the game fun and engaging. I happened upon the "Single dad with 5 kids challenge" and THAT was fun! :smiley: In fact it's what got me into storytelling with the Sims and my Holland Family story was born. :blush: Good times...good times. I still love and appreciate all the followers I had on it's story thread back in the day. <3 Many of those folks aren't simming anymore...

During that year I was painfully brought to the realization that my gaming was taking over the needs of my family, more notably my 3 year old daughter. So I stepped away from Sims for a year - my story going on hiatus with it - and in mid 2015 I was able to became active in the sims community here again. I figured out how to balance my gaming and family time and it's been well ever since. :)

For the past nearing 5 years I have shared many a post of my gameplay and stories on here, making wonderful and lasting friendships along the way. <3 I gladly call this place my social media over Facebook! :lol: Because seriously, The Sims 3 and every one of you who loves it just as much as I do, has my heart. I once thought my writing talent to be long lost in all that I endured in my adult years, but through this game, this forum, and good, supportive friends, I've been able to bring it back and it's been one of the greatest joys of my life. :star:

And I love that while I know almost ALL there is to know about this game, I am still discovering so much more that I DON'T know! :grin:

Thank you Will Wright for inventing this game (and Happy Birthday to him!) for helping me cope with the struggles of life and being able to express my imagination and talent through this game for the past 13 years. <3 (I wish I could say 20, but as you can see I was really only an avid player for 13. ;) )

Sim on forever my friends! :smiley:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    I was not a very young man when I first played TS1, having had years of fun with SimCity up through 3K at that point. Couldn't play all seven of the TS1 expansions either, my Mac at the time was also getting on in years, but was thrilled to find that Unleashed (the TS1 version of Pets) would run just well enough on it to be enjoyable alongside of around three others. It was still great fun, though a bit disappointing when a household reached the end of all that I could ever have wanted them to do since children never grew up and adults never aged. But there was so much gameplay, things like time management and career progression were so challenging, and there were so many funny little things to discover all over the place even as time went on.

Took a little break there, never did get to play TS2, and when I bought another new computer in late 2011 this time with a capable graphics card and found that while the new version of a different game I had been playing for years did run very well on it, the new version was far too different from the original and just no fun anymore. So, let's go shopping online and give this TS3 thing a whirl since by coincidence my new computer's specs met all reasonable requirements for the game. I sat down one night, created a sim, decided I had no idea what I was doing, deleted the save, and went to bed. Tried again the next night and did a much better job of it, placed that sim into a new game in Sunset Valley, and gave him what I thought would be a challenging job. No one ever told me that we were "supposed to" start the game over again every once in a while, so that is still the same game I am playing today, when I actually have time to play, and that sim I created became the great great (etc.) grandaddy of all the rest of them now spread out among various other worlds.

So my history with Sims games is a bit more disjointed than some, and somewhere along the line I seem to have become associated with an allegedly popular mod site (still not quite sure how that happened), but it does feel like we have been together for about 20 years by now. :)

@igazor i have to thank you... you helped me play the sims 3 in the way i wanted, and I'm really greatful to have come across you.
    Also... WOW... I wonder what your sunset valley looks like. I bet your sims heirs have lived in every single house/remodeled them. haha Have any pics of how it looks now?
    Oh... also... have you seen this thread of mine? - > https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/971452/popularity-contest-which-is-your-favorite-twinbrook-household-from-sims-3#latest
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,275 Member
    Meh, I've never played Sims 1. I think I learned about it when I read that Drew Carey did a cameo in the game, and I used to watch his show back then. I started playing Sims 2 in 2006 after seeing pics of it online. Then I got Sims 3 when it came out. Played a little, but took almost a year long break from it to continue playing Sims 2. But then I got a new computer and my Sims 2 save file didn't work, but Sims 3 got more and more really good expansions, so I got hooked.

I still play Sims 3 and have never tried Sims 4. :smile: So I have played Sims for 14 years this autumn. Sims changed my life quite a bit. Playing is fun, but so is the Sims community. :smiley: And I hope to continue simming for years if my health allows it.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2020
    Karon wrote: »
    @igazor i have to thank you... you helped me play the sims 3 in the way i wanted, and I'm really greatful to have come across you.
    Also... WOW... I wonder what your sunset valley looks like. I bet your sims heirs have lived in every single house/remodeled them. haha Have any pics of how it looks now?
    Oh... also... have you seen this thread of mine? - > https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/971452/popularity-contest-which-is-your-favorite-twinbrook-household-from-sims-3#latest
    Appreciate the kind words and am always happy to be helpful. But the real thanks go to Twallan and the mod developers who have taken over at NRaas since his retirement (Chain_Reaction in particular, but he doesn't have a presence on this forum). Without them we wouldn't have had the mods we care about so much to even talk about. :)

You...do not want to see what became of my Sunset Valley. It's a total mess from a design standpoint because I made so many new player mistakes along the way. It still exists in my game only because some of my elders who are still kicking around have friends and extended relatives back there. I had to demolish the house in which my founders and the next two generations started because I added onto it in so many amateurish ways back then, as I did with the town itself, that on the rare occasion I would travel any sims back to SV it was just too painful to even look at. But I can always pull up a very old save if I really want to see that lot again.

By way of the Traveler mod, "my" sims live in Riverview, Twinbrook, Bridgeport, Isla Paradiso, Dragon Valley, and Monte Vista with vacation homes and friends in ten other worlds. The entire game is really centered around Riverview though. I haven't taken over the majority of pre-made's lots in these worlds unless you count systematically remodeling the lobbies in the Bridgeport highrises to cut down on the lag and other issues caused by NPC-only units being on the ground floor (they function much better on upper floors) and fixing up the by now well known issues with Isla Paradiso. Although certainly a slightly higher percentage than usual of Riverview's population are loosely related now, it's not an entire world thing by any means because of the ability to spread my sims out among so many other worlds.

I will take another look at the Twinbrook thread, but I've never played any of the pre-mades there actively except for Tay Bayless who married his way into my storyline. My other sims who live there arrived already partnered up or are still too young to be dating, but this will change over time. The other friends the adults have there currently are all more recently arrived immigrants, I think, and thus wouldn't be part of the survey. Although I could be just not remembering one or two correctly.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member

When I bought my first desktop PC way back in 1999/2000, I got a game for it free. My choice, the Sims. And here I am so many years later, it's the only PC game I play. (Well, I don't play 4, have to admit). I've been still playing Sims 3 for what, 10 years now?

• Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    will-wright-3.jpg

All hail WILL WRIGHT! If he hadn’t thought this genius concept up in the first place, we wouldn’t have this vibrant community of Simmers.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • bobv2bobv2 Posts: 95 Member
    edited January 2020
    My sister and I got into the sims when we were kids. It started with sims 1, we were late to the game only trying sims 1 just before sims 2 was released. We owned every expansion pack for Sims 2, we played that game almost every weekend. My sister became sick with ME and couldn't go out or do very much so Sims became our way to hang out, to spend time together. She always had to have control on the mouse and keyboard though, we would start families in with there was a sim for me and a sim for her and I would just tell her what I wanted my sim to do. By the time Sims 3 came out she was much better and I had a decent paying job so I just bought the game for us but quickly realized sharing was too difficult since we had more than one computer in the house, back in the day where you used discs. I ended up buying my sister her own copy too. We stopped playing for a bit since life got busy but then when digital downloads came out my sister and I decided to go halves and buy a new digital copy and just share a account, since you can with offline mode. To this day every Sims 3 expansion pack has been shared and we both use the store account, I know its against the rules but we were kids when it started. She doesn't play at all anymore so the account is mine but Sim will always be a special game to me because for the longest time its how I connected with my sister, we still sometimes chat about the weird world of sims, it was an important part of growing up for us.

Also worth noting more than a decade later I developed the same illness she suffered when we were teenagers. Now I can't do much so I play computer game to keep occupied, this includes Sims 3 in all its glory.
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    I’m feeling old, so I can believe it! :lol:

I’ve not been simming for quite 20 years myself though. It’s been 17 years for me, and the first several years were not on PC, so my introduction to the series was different or delayed in comparison to many of y’all. I was in my mid-twenties when The Sims was first released. Hubby and I (and our littles) were console gamers so PC games like The Sims were not on my radar, although I had played SimCity on SNES.

A couple years later I was at a Game Stop looking at PS2 games for gifting ideas and came across some new titles that looked interesting... something called The Sims and The Sims Bustin’ Out. I wasn’t sure if anyone else in the family would like them, so I bought them for myself! :p They instantly became my favorites. Shortly after those I got The Urbz, to be followed in time by The Sims 2/Pets/Castaway. I loved them all (despite those killer load screens, lol). The kids also enjoyed playing them and later on, my nieces as well. Some of the console versions had a split-screen multiplayer function, and for the others I’d hook up multiple consoles and TVs so they could all play and share their sim-stories.

I eventually grew tired of replacing consoles and bought home computers to try PC gaming. Mine was a first-gen i7, purchased just in time for TS3 on PC. OOF. My jaw literally dropped when I loaded the game for the first time. There were so many more lots, no object limiter, aging and more life stages, multi-level homes, Sims traveling in an open world without load screens, CASt and the color wheel... that’s when I became truly obsessed. And then being able to add CC/mods as well! I went on to try the PC versions of TS1 and TS2 to see what I’d missed out on, and briefly tried TS3 Medieval and TS4 too.

It’s been a fun journey. Although I play other games, nothing compares to the Sims for me. I’m anticipating playing with the grandkids once they’re old enough; looking forward to intergenerational simming and more decades of The Sims! :mrgreen:
  • DramaticpianoDramaticpiano Posts: 39 Member
    Wow that's crazy, I have only been playing for a bit more than a year but it seems longer😁
  • PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    Has it really been 20 years since Sims1 came out? Giggles. I was hanging out with my friend when we went to I think Circut City. She had an imac at the time and she picked up a game called The Sims. I thought oh, because I never did play with dolls when I was younger. Oh how wrong I was. We spend most of the night playing and didn't go to bed until probably 5:00 the next morning. So I asked my parents to get it for me and they did. I think I had all the expanison packs for Sims1.

Then we learned Sims2 was coming out in 2004 and it had more lifestages. I got that for my birthday that year. Also completed a 10 generation legacy and an alphabet legacy in the Sims2. My favorite thing in the Sims2 were aliens. I miss those little sims.

Then Sims3 came out in 2009 and I got it on release day. I love CAST and the color wheel, as I can make crazy colors. So much fun.

I also do play the Sims4, but I can't get engaged like I can with The Sims2 and The Sims3.

Thank you so much Mr. Will Wright for bringing lots of joy with the Sims.
    :) Smile!

• bobv2bobv2 Posts: 95 Member
    edited January 2020
    I should note that while my sister and I love the games, my mother absolutely hates them! Not because of content or even that they are computer games, just because of all the issues. We needed to get a new computer because sims 2 kept crashing out old one, then needed emergency ram because the computer couldn't run sim 3 properly. And honestly almost every game that came out seemed to have some sort of glitch or bug in it. My sister and I were in tears sometimes because the game would crash or couldn't launch it or a bug ruined something. She calls Sims the biggest scam in history LOL as much as I love the game as an adult I see her point.