Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Care What Your Sims Eat?

Comments

• Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    No
    No, I usually just pick Quick Meal -> Cereal.
  • Options
    SiggDiggitSiggDiggit Posts: 145 Member
    No
    I voted 'no' but it's more of a 'yes and no' anwser, lol.

Outside of the normal restrictions (vegetarian=no meat, child of the ocean=no fish, vampires w/withered stomach=no human food) I try to pick food that makes sense with their traits, age and where they live, for example; self-assured sims eat spicy food, snob sims eat gourmet, children (and lazy sims) eat simple food, like spaghetti or microwave dinners, sims who live in San Myshuno eat food with chopsticks and sims in Brindleton Bay eat east coast fish dishes (popcorn shrimp, lobster rolls, ect.). When I make foodie sims I have the most fun, having them travel all over to specifically learn recipes and learn experimental foods.

However, I don't watch what they eat in regards to whether i'm worried they'll put on weight or not. Sometimes it makes sense for a sim to get a little heavier. Sims who live for food or hate exercising or are elders are, in my mind, naturally gonna be heavier. Plus, I do find it fun to whip 'em back into shape for say; an upcoming wedding, as a resolution or for the summer.
    A sims life, for me is a journey, lol.

2f8164094dfe843e371b34f5333b4dff1d96e006.jpg
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    my sims make me look bad. i don't make them vegetarians. not oppssed to it its just most of them like vegetarian foods anyway so there no point. i on the other hand like the potato cookie diet as in potato chips and cookies. :)
  • Options
    sharonlynettesharonlynette Posts: 26 Member
    Yes
    I see it as an extension of their personality but, although there are many options on what to eat I don't think there are quite enough. Would love to see more vegetarian and vegan options, salads. It would be great to have a blender for smoothies and milkshakes, my sims have such a large quantity of fruit in their inventories. I would have liked to have aspirations/traits with more of a focus on healthy eating and more fitness activities.
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    Yes
    I see it as an extension of their personality but, although there are many options on what to eat I don't think there are quite enough. Would love to see more vegetarian and vegan options, salads. It would be great to have a blender for smoothies and milkshakes, my sims have such a large quantity of fruit in their inventories. I would have liked to have aspirations/traits with more of a focus on healthy eating and more fitness activities.

Smoothies and milkshakes would be cool. You could also have a smoothie restaurant/shop like Jamba Juice or Robeks.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    No
    Well, sometimes I pay attention a little. Mila Munch is working on her baking skill, so dinners in that household are mostly fish and salad because they're all eating baked goods for breakfast. But most of the time I have them eat a variety and if they start to get fat and it starts to bother me I have them exercise more. When they have picky eater phase as children I make a lot of mac and cheese and grilled cheese and spaghetti (basically what my sister would eat when she was in that phase when we were kids), and then the whole family has to start working out by the time the kid is out of it.
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    No
    "No" because what can be put on can be removed in a gym or by that ice cream or whatever else far too easily. Now if the developers created categories of foods with real risks to your sims overall health to them that not even exercise can remove, then i'd be more inclined to say "yes" after that point, but even exercise and that ice cream can't be the answer to your problems, the effects of both will need to be adjusted so it isn't so easy to lose weight and keep it off by exercising at one point and then thinking that is it, which it isn't unless you take care what you eat.

For example the developers could work in a case where a sim is dangerously overweight and eating all the wrong things and is likely to suffer from poor health, but being a lazy sim, the chances are of an early grave for that sim if action isn't taken to solve the dilemma. same with a dangerously thin sim not eating enough.

Shame this aspect and difficult to it has been ignored really. it would add more challenge to the game with risks.
  • Options
    MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    Weight is easy to lose with taste of diet ice cream!

Not to mention that jogging is way more effective than it is in real life. Seems to burn more calories, and they don't have the runger issue.
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Yes
    Me: You can't eat birthday cake for breakfast, you'll get chonky. Then you'll get diabetes...or you've already got it and that's why you're going after the water so obsessively.
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Yes
    elliendre wrote: »
    But my poor Sims must hate me when the Spice Festival comes around, because I just make them stand at that table and eat a plate from each recipe until they learn them. They have no fun, just food.

I do this too!! Haha. So they can make ramen, pho, curry and etc. for themselves. And because it sounds really good!
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    No
    I don't usually have to pay attention to what my Sims eat because they all seem to like the same things. They all learn to cook by making fruit and garden salads at first. I've noticed that even after they learn to cook a variety of different things when they have both fruit and garden salads in the refrigerator, they usually pick the garden salad. They also seem to prefer fruit and yogurt parfait, prosciutto-wrapped asparagus, or Caprese salad. When they grill something on their own, it's always grilled fruit, grilled chicken, or steak. Almost all of them have either a water-slide or basketball hoop so they stay pretty active.

They all seem to really like cookies, but not cakes, pies, or bread. If there are cookies in the refrigerator then they will always go for those first. Those only around when I'm having one of them learn to bake. I have them sell all baked goods at a yard sale.

I've only had a weight issue with one Sim that I've played and that was the merman Ukupanipo who had the Glutton trait. I wanted to see how that trait worked. It's awful. Uku maxed out the Cooking and Gourmet Cooking skills very fast and he gained a lot of weight in the process. He got pretty big even though he spent a lot of time swimming and working out at the gym. I didn't change his Glutton trait until I caught him eating spoiled chicken that he had dug up on the beach. The green vapors from the spoiled chicken did it for me.

I've noticed that the game tends to give the Glutton trait to a lot of townie Vampires, but I've never seen an Alien with that trait. So now I know why many game-generated Vampires hang out at food stalls in San Myshuno getting sick. I wonder if this was done on purpose to Vampires?
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    Yes
    The Glutton trait grosses me out. I can't stand watching them eat. Ukukpanipo or Po as I call him is in one of my households too and I changed that trait out right away. I don't really monitor what that household eats, some are Forever Full in that household and don't eat and some others are athletic. From what I remember, they cook gourmet stuff but they exercise and use the pool constantly so I haven't noticed any weight gain with anyone lately. I didn't care that he stuffed his face, it's that the animation makes my stomach do cartwheels.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    Yes
    I try to watch what my sims eat, I don't want them to get fat. But I wish we could see the calories ingame when choosing a meal. It would make things easier.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    No
    Some sims look better heavy. I've had my Don mentor people at the gym a lot recently for career purposes, and as a result many NPCs are just skin and bone now. Thank goodness that wife Nina and their daughters retain their curves. They have been eating a ton of grilled cheese as one daughter did the associated aspiration :smiley:

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    hellokitty1496hellokitty1496 Posts: 243 Member
    No
    No. Eventually, they'll get fat beyond my control, especially the kids, so I just let them eat whatever. If I happen to give them a healthy balanced diet, then so be it.
  • Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    Yes
    I didn't used to care, until I got roommates who only wanted to make/eat cake. I got so grossed out that now throw the cake away.
  • Options
    mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    No
    For the most part, no. I let them eat whatever and if they start gaining weight I'll have them exercise, or if I'm really lazy, I'll just edit them in CAS. I only care when they start only eating cake, that's why I usually throw the birthday cake away after they age up and sometimes I'll let them have a slice. I don't mind if they have a little cake, but it does seem like if there's cake in the fridge that's all they want to eat.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    Yes
    I don't know how it's programed into the game, but yeah, I see them eating cake over any other food most of the time if available.
    Bread, pastries, are by far the most fattening. That burger may have meat, but it's probably the bread that is making you fat. Heh!
    In real life, I've seen before a woman about a meter and a quarter (4 feet) in diameter walk out of the supermarket grocery store with her shopping cart full of cakes. So maybe the cake thing in Sims4 is a bit accurate.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    lacianalaciana Posts: 29 Member
    No
    I have to count carbs in real life, I don't want to have to count my Sim's calories too. She's a celebrity chef, so if she wants to grill steak then she grills steaks. Her wife can eat cake for breakfast and not gain weight. Of course, her wife also compulsively does sit ups in their living room. ;)
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Yes
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    I micromange most of my Sims, so when they're just starting out they only make salads until their cooking skill has increased in order to avoid noobie fires. lol After that, I have a Google doc listing the calorie content of foods in the game someone shared on the forum. I'll use that list to choose which foods they'll eat that have no calories or are low calories. They will also eat a lot of harvestables. Great for a quick meal with no idle animations and they get a nice moodlet boost for it.

When aging up, they can have one slice of cake to celebrate and then I drag the cake to the trash. They almost never eat gourmet meals, most of them are full of calories. If I have a Culinary Sim who need to prepare an abundance of meals, I'll drag what they cook to the trash unless it's low/no cal. Sims learning the CL food stall recipes or DO experimental meals will go jogging, do yoga, boxing, run on the treadmill, etc., if I notice they're getting a bit chunky. It depends on their traits/personality what they'll do.

Why am I so obsessive about keeping them fit? Well, after having children I gained a lot of weight and was obese. About 5 years ago I was determined to get fit again like I was in my youth. I followed an online program called My Fitness Pal that helped me keep track of my daily calories, starting eating healthy foods and running. I lost 66 lbs. So, I like to keep my Sims fit and healthy and not let them fall down the rabbit hole I did. Just my own personal preference. :)

Congratulations. I feel the same way - I've always had to struggle with my weight, and getting older doesn't help. (Fortunately, I walk a lot.)

As for my Sims, they never get anything but garden salad or the superfood salad from Spa Day, and they do yoga every day. My toddlers eat the superfood salad, too (most of the toddler foods overfeed them) and dance for an hour every morning, and my kids play on the monkey bars for an hour.

I only wish that living a healthy lifestyle would carry over to elders - those who are fit when they become elders should not have issues with exercising or woo-hoo.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    Yes
    That's the nice thing about a game, a simulation, a sim. ;) It can be one's own fantasy world. :)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    Yes
    yes since becoming vegan myself, I try to make my sims vegan to. now there not getting fat.
  • Options
    keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    No
    I like feeding them, but I don't mind one bit about the calories. If they're a bit chubby, they're chubby. I don't really mind that outcome at all. It's kinda nice. I like having sims of various sizes in my game. It'd be a bit boring if they were all one standard, fit frame. That's too cookie cutter for my tastes!
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Yes
    It kind of depends on the story I’m telling. If I have a sim that really into health, wellness, and fitness then I try to really watch what they eat. Also vegetarian Sims I keep an eye on. But it seems left to their own devices they generally choose meatless dishes. The rest of my sims I’m pretty lax with them and mostly let them eat whatever they seem to want, or whatever sounds good to me at that moment.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Yes
    Yes, I care. If it is high-calorie, it needs to be excellent quality to really be worth it. They will also be getting more exercise to compensate.