Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Phantasmal Reading Circle III: Newness Returns!

Comments

• NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    edited November 2020
    @Firande Thank you! :) Personally, I think Aiden here gives Vin a run for his money on the hotness scale but I'm biased towards tatted, pierced alternative-type guys so my opinion isn't worth much. :p

@katrinasforest A couple of questions...
    1.) What inspired you to do Kids of Straud Mansion?
    2.) What is your preferred format for stories? (Pure text, hybrid, etc)

OT but here is a very good, FREE note-taking app/notebook I've recently started using. Zoho Notebook.

More pics for your viewing pleasure ;)
    50630209028_3fd355e7c2_z.jpg

In Dark Form with Ginger
    50641191966_5710aa97d8_z.jpg

It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    @Firande @NyteRose

I love how the comics looked, but honestly, you're right, they were so much work! The Kids of Straud Mansion is more low-key and puts me more in my element. I'm way more used to just writing prose than planning out the layout of a scene visually. In fact, lots of times I end up using the Sims just to help me understand what my settings look like and to help me describe them accurately.

I picture this taking place in the same universe as Clanbuilding, but before Vlad turns Elliot and sets all those events in motion. I'm not against having a few cameos and nods in there. :)

That's a tough question about my favorite Forgotten Hollow resident. Let's see...normally I would say Caleb hands down, but I actually started playing Kay Cave recently, and she's been a lot of fun. She's decided to be an artist and leave her life of evil behind. (Okay, I guess I still have to give it to Caleb, but I'll call Kat a close second.)

Vampires are definitely my favorite. Mermaids might have been able to compete with them if they'd had more powers and a way to grow stronger over time. (I do love how many options there are for mermaid designs, so I'll give them that. :)

Thanks for the questions!
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    Hi guys, I'm back!

I've been told by my friends that they're going to get me Snowy Escape as a Christmas present, and I'm thrilled. I'm a little behind on this thread, but I'm going to be more active. My next chapter is going to focus on Rhea!
    @lilypadmeulin What a great gift. That's awesome to know it's coming your way.

The latest Xaos chapters up for discussion this week are...
    https://donaeis.home.blog/2020/11/08/73-ne-perenni-cremer-igne/
    https://donaeis.home.blog/2020/11/08/74-at-your-service/
    https://donaeis.home.blog/2020/11/15/75-chaos/
    https://donaeis.home.blog/2020/11/22/76-θάλαττα-θάλαττα/

I believe there was also a new chapter posted just today, though I'll be keeping my comments to the above ones for now while I catch up. :)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    Oh DANG these were some good episodes.
    Pomea is my current fave, but I also liked seeing Titus getting shut down by Tika like that. But Pomea using her siren wiles was so POWERFUL. I loved it!
  • FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    @katrinasforest I can definitely imagine @ the comic format. I actually used that same format for my Simlit on my Tumblr, to shorten things a bit, and while I really like that format a lot, it's just so much effort editing every single screenshot to add the text and stuff... so ultimately, I just can't find the will to switch the format even though I absolutely love it.

That's so cool about Kat growing to be a favorite of yours. I added those Rebellious three to my game too, except I heavily edited them so that they don't look like their original at all anymore LOL. These are my rebellious vampires:

My version of Markus became Emmanuel (M.) Morales:
    QOu4MtB.png

And then my version of Kat on the left:
    vkByEgQ.png

And of course Miss Hell:
    sgV20nm.png

In my lore, all of them, except for Miss Hell, are super old vampires and all my super old vampires have to have the gray skin, so they get to hav the gray skin. :sweat_smile:

There is a new chapter, yeah, but absolutely take your time in reading and responding and all. <3

@lilypadmeulin Welcome back! That's so awesome that you will be getting Snowy Escape. I haven't played around with it too much yet, but it definitely seems to be a really neat pack. :blush: Also, am so glad you'll be focusing on Rhea! I adore her character.

Thanks so much for your response to my story! I'm glad you like Poema, I have to say... characters like her and Tori, I just always end up having so much fun playing and writing for them, haha. :blush:

To celebrate the start of December, I wanted to share this short series of Snowy Escape screenshots that had me in tears :joy: :
    8CT6PDC.png
    3iUTtKS.png
    eYY5e3M.png

6Mebv45.png
    C5jvUuc.png

I added these screenshots to my story without any text, just that Friends theme song. :joy::joy:
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
    @Firande Got a screencap of my version of Kat Cave:
    KatCave.jpg

I love your re-designs of the Rebellious Vampires. I don't picture Kat being all that old, but she's definitely one of the oldest vampires in my game. Most of my vampires have only been turned in the past couple years, and I figure she's been around a few decades at least.

On a similar note, I love your re-designs of the three sages as well. Their personalities still come through, and I can clearly tell who's who, but it's nice to see a creative twist on them. I think L. Faba was my favorite.

Chapter 73 made me laugh out loud several times--my other half was working in our shared office alongside me and kept giving me weird looks. ^_^ But the ending to it was so sad, too! The screenshots at Tori's grave really carried the story every bit as much as the words did.

As for chapter 76 ...
    Oo, I knew Poema was going to get to Laka eventually! I give him credit for trying stay away from her, but I can't wait for the drama to ensue. bwa-ha-ha!
    @katrinasforest Holy sh, you did Kat so well! I love how she looks in your game. :blush:

That's so interesting, the difference in our vampires and how Kat is still one of the oldest in your game with a few decades. How old do you imagine Vlad to be in your lore? And the Vatores? I always sort of figured Vlad would be from like, the 1700s and the Vatores maybe from the 1800s or early 1900s, something like that. :sweat_smile:

I'm so glad you liked my makeover of the Sages! I really enjoyed writing for them, even though it was only one meeting. I just imagine them all to be kind of arrogant and nonchalant in this been-at-the-top-for-quite-some-years-now way. I think I immortalized them in my game too through MCCC, so they'd likely remain the Sages for a hot while as I couldn't, as of now, think of better sages than these three.

Thanks so much for all your feedback! <3
    And oh yes, you definitely were right on Laka/Poema all along... :smirk: It was so fun reading your theories and already knowing how spot-on you were about them, but trying not to give away too much just yet haha.

If anyone has any more questions for me, on anything, feel free to ask! This story, Xaos, is actually slowly coming to its end. I published Chapter 78 on Friday, but only because I will be flying back to my home country tomorrow (ugh) so I knew I wouldn't have time today or tomorrow. I expect the next chapters to continue to follow my usual schedule of being published every Sunday/(Monday) starting next week, and there's only 7 more to go! Chapter 85 will be the last chapter of this story. :relaxed:
    (Though I have to add I already have a sequel I've been sharing with a friend that I'm actually hoping to finish this year too, so I'd still technically be a whole story behind on sharing on my blog, LOL.)

Also have some other semi-exciting news I wanted to share... I officially submitted my Master's thesis on Monday! I haven't really been open about sharing the news or celebrating it yet, because it still doesn't feel finished until I have the grade and am graduated and it's all like, fully behind me, but I guess the thesis itself is pretty close to being finally behind me now! I really didn't think I was going to be able to do it earlier this year, so I'm really, really happy I managed after all. God, the sleepless nights I've had, the struggles I've faced... I was in such a bad place over it this summer, it's hard to even describe. :sweat_smile: And since we've been chatting about our stories for quite a while now, I thought I'd share the news.

Here's a screenshot that I took just 2 days ago in my Sims, which is a bit of a spoiler alert because it shows one of my Sims... in a whole 'nother place in life right now. :scream:
    uKZVmY1.png

fgQIHTb.png
    edited December 2020
    Oh, wow, @Firande, that's awesome! Seriously, a huge congrats to you! That's got to be such a weight off your shoulders. I can't imagine how much of a struggle that must have been between the nightmare that is 2020 and such a huge amount of work you had to do. Hope you have a safe flight and make sure you treat yourself extra nice. You deserve it. :)

Thanks for the compliment! The color scheme of that hairstyle reminded me of the Sunfire elves from Dragon Prince, so that's probably what drew me to it, but I also wanted to see what Kat looked like with less makeup and a more human skin tone. I'm sad to say all the sages except Morgyn have died of old age in my game, though Simeon and L's ghosts are hanging around. (I didn't know MCCC could immortalize Sims--I've gotta install this. Simeon's ghost was almost lost in my game...I had to go back to a slightly older save and track him down during Ghost Night.)

I guess I wasn't counting Vlad as a vampire, since in my game, he's currently lost his powers. But, you're right, he was the oldest vampire by a lot before that happened. ^_^;; I don't think the Vatores were turned that much later than Kat. I'm thinking maybe she was turned around the 60s or so, while the Vatores were turned more around the 70s. I guess based on the trailer, the only "canon" timeline is that both Miss H and Caleb were definitely turned sometime after toothbrushes became commonplace. ^_^;;

Chapter 85 isn't that far off, is it? I guess my question for you would have to be, how are you feeling bringing such an epic story to a close? Are there any techniques you picked up while working on it to apply to your next story?

I don't make accurate predictions too often, so it was fun to be right on one of them. ^_^;;
    Looks like the next chapters up for @lone_cat's Supernatural Misadventures are:
    https://lonecatsims.wordpress.com/2020/10/06/chapter-22-heart-to-heart/
    https://lonecatsims.wordpress.com/2020/10/15/chapter-23-goodbyes/

Hope everyone's having a great start to their week. :)
    Oh, wow, @Firande, that's awesome! Seriously, a huge congrats to you! That's got to be such a weight off your shoulders. I can't imagine how much of a struggle that must have been between the nightmare that is 2020 and such a huge amount of work you had to do. Hope you have a safe flight and make sure you treat yourself extra nice. You deserve it. :)

Thanks for the compliment! The color scheme of that hairstyle reminded me of the Sunfire elves from Dragon Prince, so that's probably what drew me to it, but I also wanted to see what Kat looked like with less makeup and a more human skin tone. I'm sad to say all the sages except Morgyn have died of old age in my game, though Simeon and L's ghosts are hanging around. (I didn't know MCCC could immortalize Sims--I've gotta install this. Simeon's ghost was almost lost in my game...I had to go back to a slightly older save and track him down during Ghost Night.)

I guess I wasn't counting Vlad as a vampire, since in my game, he's currently lost his powers. But, you're right, he was the oldest vampire by a lot before that happened. ^_^;; I don't think the Vatores were turned that much later than Kat. I'm thinking maybe she was turned around the 60s or so, while the Vatores were turned more around the 70s. I guess based on the trailer, the only "canon" timeline is that both Miss H and Caleb were definitely turned sometime after toothbrushes became commonplace. ^_^;;

Chapter 85 isn't that far off, is it? I guess my question for you would have to be, how are you feeling bringing such an epic story to a close? Are there any techniques you picked up while working on it to apply to your next story?

I don't make accurate predictions too often, so it was fun to be right on one of them. ^_^;;

Thank you so much! I'm now fully back (at my own place too) and will definitely be treating myself well with some online shopping and revamping of my place, haha. :blush:

That's too bad that only Morgyn is still around in your save. :( And yeah, MCCC can do a whole lot of things! I have a lot of Sims flagged for no aging because they're immortal in my lore, but not in the game. The 70s would definitely make sense for them... would also explain why they (and then specifically Caleb) are still so painfully and tragically stuck in terms of fashion LOL.

Yeah, there's 6 chapters left I think! Have had a busy week so I'll probably be publishing the new chapter tomorrow or even the day after, but yeah... it's drawing to a close and I can't wait for you guys to read the final chapters! That's so sweet of you to be calling my story epic. :cry: I'm excited to finish it off and move on to new things, but am also specifically excited for you guys to get to see it, haha. There's definitely techniques I will be using on my next story, specifically my use of songs and other media to embellish chapters with (poems and such too). The songs started out as me being too lazy to write for certain chapters or wanting to summarize moments in an easy way, but I grew quite attached to that method and especially in some of these upcoming final chapters, I really feel like the music I'll add just adds a lot to the whole experience, even for myself, and even if I can't actually have the music be there for real, just adding lyrics and hoping people who read will look it up, haha. I should probably start at least adding embedded YouTube links to the song in question to those chapters that have songs!

fgQIHTb.png
    @Firande Oh, gosh, there's been so much drama in my save right now. The mermaids went to war with the spellcasters, and the spellcasters lost. Magic is now underground, but one of the Charm family kids is probably going to bring spellcasters back when he gets older. Morgyn's an elder and he retired from being a sage before all the drama started, and he's probably happier for it. ^_^;;

@lone_cat I'm so sorry! This week got away from me, and I realize I posted your chapters and didn't make any comment on them. Anyway, we'll stick with your story this week so we can get some actual discussion in. Here's my thoughts/questions after reading...

I thought chapter 22 was really sweet, and I'm glad Hailey was able to get a relaxing massage in. (I wasn't sure if she'd be able to with those bruises.) It was also nice to get that backstory between Hailey and Barnes. I get what you mean in your authors' notes; I don't like changing what I've already established as canon in my stories. At least after posting. Before posting, anything goes for me. Do you find yourself making a lot of changes to your characters when you're first creating them/figuring them out? 

I had forgotten about Willa's warning when I started reading. It only felt more ominous with that screencap of her in chapter 23 coming up behind Hailey and Ian. All the characters are so perfectly expressive in that shot. 

I don't know if you can answer this question without spoilers, but I'm really curious if Luke is telling everything he can or if he's holding back for some reason. My guess is the latter, but either way, their conversation felt carefully crafted. 

@lilypadmeulin @NyteRose Hope your past week went well. Anything new or exciting in your Simming worlds?
    edited December 2020
    Aiden and Ginger got engaged in-game. Planning to let him turn her soon so I can have a vampire wedding.^^
    Still working on their WIP project.

Sexy Gothic dhampir, anyone? ;)
    50716429997_64d8ca2f5b_z.jpg
    @NyteRose Nice! Always love your screenshots, and the way those glowing blue eyes stand out in the picture is amazing. Hope their wedding went as planned. (Sim weddings always turn out to be an adventure for me...usually in all the wrong ways.)

I know this seems silly, but I'm so glad to read someone else use the word "dhampir." One of the players in my D&D campaign is playing one, and none of the other players had heard the term before! I was starting to think it was just something another dungeon master made up. ^_^;;
    @katrinasforest I haven't played out the wedding yet, still designing outfits (with CC I downloaded) and got sidetracked playing a tropical save (Ginger makes for a STUNNING mermaid, Aiden is still a Dhampir, and yes, they're together.)
    edited December 2020
    @NyteRose I bet they're adorable. :) I'd only ever paired mermaids with humans or other mermaids after my game gave me a really weird mermaid/spellcaster hybrid. Basically, she got stuck in mer-form the first time she entered water, because the game doesn't register that a spellcaster would have an alternate form to change back from. But maybe now I can try again, since they've patched it. Hybrids are a cool concept, and I wish they existed in the game for real, but I'd rather not have them at all than have a really glitchy version of them. Though having a hybrid did make my epic battle between the merfolk and the spellcasters a lot more fun. The Charm family has taken a sudden interest in Sulani in my game. Speaking of which...

We are on Not So Charmed this week. @lilypadmeulin, I think you mentioned you're in the midst of working on a new plotline? Any details you can share about the process without too many spoilers? :)

@Firande and @lone_cat, you can feel free to add onto the Supernatural Misadventures chat from last week if you want.

I know 2020 is almost at an end (thank goodness!), so no stress or pressure on anyone. Oh, and don't forget to check out the sky tonight for the great conjunction/"Christmas star." ^_^
    edited December 2020
    @katrinasforest There is an Occult Hybrid Stabilizer mod. Have you tried that? It may help with your hybrid issues.
    50740747673_7a6ea81327_z.jpg
    @Firande @lone_cat @lilypadmeulin

Sorry for going so quiet, everybody. I don't know where my head was with the holidays and all. Anyway, hope everyone had a great New Year's, and we'll pick up with the circle again next week, if everyone's up for it.

Oh, and thanks, @NyteRose, for the mod suggestion! I managed to fix it by just taking away her magic powers, but I'll definitely keep it in mind. Love the screenshot--especially those fin-like ears! (And the tail almost looks like a flower. Really beautiful!)
    @katrinasforest Thank you! Here are links for the mermaid CC I used.
    Siren Ears
    Siren Eyes
    Scales
    Opalo Mermaid Tail
    Opalo Forearm Fin
    Aura Shell Top
    Enjoy!
  • lone_catlone_cat Posts: 417 Member
    Hi everyone! Hope everyone is having a good new year. :)

Sorry I've been silent on the forums. I've been dealing with some health problems over the last couple of months. I promise to get caught up with everyone's stories in the next couple of weeks. :)
    edited January 2021
    @NyteRose Thank you! I am so glad you helped me get over my fear of using CC. ^_^

@lone_cat No worries, take your time. I'm sorry to hear about your health issues, and I hope they improve soon.

@lilypadmeulin @Firande I'll have a new chapter of Kids of Straud Mansion hopefully up later today. But I was also having some thoughts about this thread in general...we've all been pretty busy with different real-life things as a group, and I was wondering if it would be less stressful if we all followed each others' individual story threads on the forum so we can comment/discuss as new chapters come up rather than the weekly discussions we've been having.

I'm still happy to keep the thread going if that's what everyone wants. But I also want reading the stories to be something relaxing and fun for everyone, without feeling pressure to catch up by a specific date if we fall behind. (Or, on the other side, feeling pressure to have new chapters completed if we're falling behind on the writing end of things.)

Thoughts?
    edited January 2021
    lone_cat wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Hope everyone is having a good new year. :)

Sorry I've been silent on the forums. I've been dealing with some health problems over the last couple of months. I promise to get caught up with everyone's stories in the next couple of weeks. :)

Absolutely take all the time you need. I hope you're feeling a bit better or you'll feel better soon. <3 And I hope you had a good new year's too!

@lone_cat I can't wait to read your new chapter!

I have definitely also been busy, but I'd personally like to keep the thread going for the simple reason that I don't have an individual thread, so I'd most definitely lose contact with you guys and have nowhere to post my own stuff either, if we were to go another way. I'm also personally better at following everyone's stories through this thread than by continuously checking everyone's individual pages to see if maybe, they posted something. But I do think it may be an option to just discuss whoever posted a new chapter, than to have a specific story to discuss each week. That way, there's more chance the person who wrote the story is actually available when it is being discussed, and there may be less pressure overall.

I myself am almost done with this story, I posted Chapter 82 last week on my blog and should have posted Chapter 83 last Sunday or yesterday, but haven't found the time to do so yet. But including Chapter 83, I only have 3 chapters left until this story is over. :smiley:

fgQIHTb.png
    @Firande I like that idea a lot! If no one has any objections, let's give it a try. :)
    @katrinasforest @lone_cat @Firande @lilypadmeulin

Officially and permanently retired from the Sims Community and quitting writing. All of my projects are now discontinued. I will leave my old content up, but I feel like there is no place for me or my work in this community. Harassment, health, and creative burnout have taken too much of a toll and I no longer enjoy writing.

Thanks for reading and for the support.