Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Phantasmal Reading Circle III: Newness Returns!

Comments

• 15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    Another new chapter!
    Simeon, Part 3: Stranger Things
    DFoiF5w.png
    I was planning on adding two chapters today, but I woke up feeling terrible. Body, why do you do this to me? :lol:
    Pushing things when I'm not feeling good is a very bad idea, so I have to content myself with reading SimLit for today. That would be totally awesome if Supernatural Adventures did turn into a book, @lone_cat ! I love your writing style. <3
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    I've hit another creative roadblock with Bloodline (so very sorry, I know you guys are looking forward to the updates) but I got my mojo back for Moonlit Tides. So the MT updates should be soon-ish.
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited April 2020
    @lone_cat I think your story lends itself very well to an original piece. That's the part that's great about SimFic. Unless you're focusing on one of the pre-established families and all the lore behind them (like the Goths or Landgraabs, for example), most of the characters and plot are going to be your own anyway. Often times I think of The Sims as a writing tool. It helps creators get ideas out, then we can take those ideas and run with them.

There's a lot I have to change with the original version of Clanbuilding, since I did lean on game lore a bit heavy at times, but I'm enjoying the process. (Though if you have any helpful tips to share as you go along, let me know!)

Apologies for my delay in getting the front page changed, but feel free to ask us questions whenever!
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    edited April 2020
    A mermaid who I'm considering adding to MT's supporting cast, but I don't know what or how much of a role she'll play in the story.
    Kaia Rossdale (Before, no CC)
    49807344277_5aba583358_z.jpg
    After...
    49806478658_8807583f1e_z.jpg
    49807034356_2c2135f0f3_z.jpg

And the backstabbing 'best friend'
    Jackson "Jack" Spaulding
    49806513048_4ca19d1a04_z.jpg
    Post edited by NyteRose on
    @15aewar Thanks. She's been rotting on my Gallery page forever, so I decided to give her a makeover for the heck of it. I'm thinking Kaia is one of Helena's tribemates, maybe? Or she's been cursed to live on the land, and stripped of her powers (therefore human?)
    Merfolk background and lore sheet for Moonlit Tides. It's a WIP but I thought I'd share what I have so far. Happy reading :)

The Mer are a race dating back to the tales from the ancient Celts, Hindu, and Greeks of pre-Christian Europe, Asia, and the Pacific Islands. In Greece, the local Mer tribes claim to be descendants of the nymphs and children of the sea god Poseidon. The sunken city of Atlantis- a city devoted to the worship of Poseidon- has been claimed and rebuilt to its former splendor by the Mer. Although Merfolk law forbids them from interfering with the affairs of land-walkers, Mer often absorb elements of the culture, customs, and religion(s) of the locality in which they share the seas.

Religion/Spirituality: The religious beliefs and spiritual practices of the Mer are as varied as the numerous tribes themselves. While many Mer hold religion and spirituality as a cornerstone of the community and personal growth, many do not. Priestesses hold a high position in society as spiritual advisors and healers to the populace. Magic is also practiced, sometimes as a path to understanding the natural world to the religious teachings of the temple. Common magical practices include but are not limited to: prayers, spells and rituals, the use of amulets and talismans, water and candle magic. A Mer may act as a familiar to trusted human witches or the island chief/elder, but this is very rare.

Powers and Abilities: Underwater breathing, limited shape-shifting (transforming to human form on land and back to merform in the water,) weather control, singing, enchantment, bring good fortune or luck and blessings, healing (especially if trained in healing magic,) divination, very strong swimmers. An old sailor’s tale claims that a mermaid’s kiss protects from drowning; another yarn says that the gift of a Mer’s scale shows his or her favor toward the recipient. Sirens: A Mer can become a Siren because of sorrow from unrequited love, birth, extreme emotional distress, or rebirth after a tragic death. A Mer can also become a Siren through the use of a forbidden magical ritual. Sirens are primarily female; male Sirens are uncommon but exist. These Merfolk live up to the old legends, using their beauty and ethereal singing to lure men to their watery deaths. They enjoy the taste of human blood and flesh. Sirens conjure storms and rough seas, bring misfortune, inflict disease, and curse their enemies. A Siren’s scream can cause insanity to those unlucky to hear it.
  • lone_catlone_cat Posts: 417 Member
    Sorry, I got confused with the weeks. Anyway, I don't really have any questions, I haven't updated anything since the last time it was my week. I'm hoping next week I'll have something new. I have it written up, but I've been really uninspired when it comes to taking screenshots, lately. :(

Do you have any questions or comments for me? How's everyone's week going?

@NyteRose I love Kaia and your CC for mermaids. :) I also like all the lore surrounding Merfolk, it's very in-depth and interesting.

@15aewar Thank you! :) A 100 baby and black widow challenge, that sounds like a fun challenge! I'll have to get caught up on your new story.

@katrinasforest I'm kind of at a roadblock with turning my story into a book. The setting is giving me problems. I want it to be set in a real city, but that comes with its own challenges of researching and writing something authentic. To me, San Myshuno seems like NYC, but I don't have a lot of knowledge of NYC, and even with research I'm worried I wouldn't get the vibe or authenticity of NYC. I've been thinking of setting it in a smaller city that I'm more familiar with or even setting it in a small town.

It would be cool to see what you do with Clanbuiding and how it turns into a book. Sims definitely is helpful for writing, I have used it a couple of times when I was stuck and didn't know where to go, or sometimes sims just do things that make the story more original.
    @lone_cat Thank you! :) Let me know if you want links to the CC and I'll post them.
    Arahi (Human Form)
    49812977003_0761b4e372_z.jpg

Merform
    49813800902_306821c31b_z.jpg
    Messed around with CAS genetics. Guess who her parents are :p
    edited April 2020
    15aewar wrote: »
    Is it Vin and Meli? Or Ambrose?

Ambrose and Helena :)
    Arahi is a Siren, but a possible plot arc will be spoiled if I reveal details.
    lone_cat wrote: »
    Sorry, I got confused with the weeks. Anyway, I don't really have any questions, I haven't updated anything since the last time it was my week. I'm hoping next week I'll have something new. I have it written up, but I've been really uninspired when it comes to taking screenshots, lately. :(

@NyteRose I love Kaia and your CC for mermaids. :) I also like all the lore surrounding Merfolk, it's very in-depth and interesting.

@15aewar Thank you! :) A 100 baby and black widow challenge, that sounds like a fun challenge! I'll have to get caught up on your new story.

@katrinasforest I'm kind of at a roadblock with turning my story into a book. The setting is giving me problems. I want it to be set in a real city, but that comes with its own challenges of researching and writing something authentic. To me, San Myshuno seems like NYC, but I don't have a lot of knowledge of NYC, and even with research I'm worried I wouldn't get the vibe or authenticity of NYC. I've been thinking of setting it in a smaller city that I'm more familiar with or even setting it in a small town.

It would be cool to see what you do with Clanbuiding and how it turns into a book. Sims definitely is helpful for writing, I have used it a couple of times when I was stuck and didn't know where to go, or sometimes sims just do things that make the story more original.

@lone_cat Setting is the worst for me, too. A friend and I are working on a co-written story on the side, and I've joked a couple times that if it weren't for her, the whole thing would take place in a featureless white room. ^_^ I sometimes find it helpful to go sit down at a place where I could imagine the story taking place, although that's obviously less doable these days.

I've been to NYC a couple times, but yeah...it's really unlike anywhere else I've ever been. I'm very much an introvert, and everything was so big and busy, I felt pretty overwhelmed. ^_^;; I feel like San Myshuno could be a small city, too, though. Maybe with a few big social spots, some historical landmarks, that kind of thing.

I actually have a writerly question for you. I was wondering how you go about creating your characters. Do you have an idea in your head before you go into CAS, or do you use CAS as kind of a character sketchpad?
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    edited April 2020
    lone_cat wrote: »

@NyteRose Loving your screenshots!

@lone_cat San Myshuno gives me New York City vibes too but actually, the city was inspired by many different real world cities including Tokyo and San Francisco which is how San Myshuno got its name, as a combo of the Cali/Japanese vibes basically. Here's some more info on it:

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/sims-4-city-living-san-myshuno

I have been to New York three times and I second what @katrinasforest said about it, though the being overwhelmed for me came mostly on and around Times Square which is one of those places you can't really be for all too long before the insane crowd just drives you crazy LOL. As a European we don't tend to have cities like these with them super big skyscrapers and everything (most European capitals and metropolises are very old cities with old structures rather than skyscrapers) so it was unlike anything for me too... until I went to Toronto and thought it really looked like a smaller NYC to me LOL.
    To give a bit of an impression, this is a picture I took of New York City near Times Square at 2 am in the night !!!
    f95lp4V.jpg
    This was in like February too, so no holidays going on it just always is crowded as heck LOL.

And the following day:
    lEiMe2i.jpg

It's... a lot.

There are areas that aren't that crowded though, even though every single part will definitely have those big city vibes. We walked through Harlem for this one walking tour we found on the internet and really liked that, it was decently more chill there.

But I think if you truly want to like, deal with the vibe just right I'd also go for a place you're more familiar with. I used Boston as a setting for my story long before I'd even gone there, I chose it just because I had this feeling I'd love the city LOL. Then when I had the opportunity to go there for my studies for 6 months I immediately did it and then when I actually finally arrived in Boston I realized just how much different (but still AMAZING and my feeling that I'd love it was definitely right) it was from what I imagined. I think you can absolutely choose settings you're not familiar with yourself, but if you really want the most authentic vibe, I think choosing a city you know would be the better option.

Again, San Mysh was also inspired by Tokyo, Shanghai, Vancouver, San Francisco, New York, and Sydney, one of which you may know better and be able to use for inspiration instead:
    San Myshuno was inspired first and foremost by diversity. We knew we wanted a diverse, vibrant, modern city where you might see people of Indian, Arab, Japanese, African, and other ethnicities. We wanted to create a colorful melting pot inspired by different cultural canvasses. We initially drew inspiration from Asian cities like Shanghai and Tokyo, but they were too intense with the lights, and felt a bit too focused on single cultural groups. Then, we looked to coastal cities like Vancouver, San Francisco, New York, and Sydney, as places known to host hugely distinct cultures in unique neighborhoods.

As for questions for you..... hmm.... I guess this is kind of a lame one hehe, but why did you choose Sulani for your next story to take place vs. other potential locations? :blush:
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
    @lone_cat I have a few questions...
    1) How do you break through writer's block when it strikes?
    2)Do you stick with one story or work on multiple projects at once? How do you choose and stick with one project/story? (I'm struggling with these issues so I'm curious as to how you deal with them.)
    Do you guys ever get random Disney songs stuck in your head, then write entire parodies based off of them? No?
    Well, I guess it's one way to spend your afternoon!
    Interlude: I'll Make a Vampire of You
    OCmahWS.jpg
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for all the great questions! :) You are all awesome! And sorry for the late response.

@katrinasforest I have a general idea of what the characters look like in my head. It can be frustrating because I can't always get what I want in CAS. The characters I'm most happy with and the ones that I was able to get right on the first try are Soto, Ivan (the Russian guy), and Veronica Beckett. The author and Gibbs I downloaded off the gallery and then tweaked their features a little. All the other ones took several iterations in CAS before I got what I wanted or close to what I wanted. I think the Hailey I now have is on the fifth iteration. Ian, I could not get for the life of me. I kept going back and tweaking him, and then finally a sim was born into the world and I liked the look of him, it wasn't exactly what I had envisioned for Ian, but I like how he turned out in the end. That character was also a vampire, so I had to turn him into a human.

When I first came up with the story I was actually playing more Sims 3 than 4 and was thinking of using Sims 3 for screenshots. All my original writing was written for Sims 3. Hailey and Barnes's hometown was going to be in Hidden Springs. I actually have some screenshots of the characters in Sims 3. If only posing in Sims 4 was as easy as it was in Sims 3, I would not get so frustrated over taking screenshots, lol. I'll have to dig through my old screenshots and post some of my Sims 3 screenshots of my characters.

@Firande I love the pictures of NYC! I have been there only once, but I felt like it is so massive and there is so much to do and see, that I didn't get the full experience, but don't know if that's possible in a city so large. I had been to Chicago a few times before my visit to NYC, but NYC is even more massive than Chicago, plus it has a totally different vibe than Chicago. I got to see Times Square during the day, but all the pictures I see at night are so much prettier, IMO. I have even less experience with the other cities that you listed, never visited any of them, but I'm hoping someday I will. Maybe I'm just being hard on myself and if I did some research, I could set it in NYC.

Here's the answer to your question. Originally, I wrote Supernatural Misadventures for Sims 3 then decided to change it to 4. I wrote it like four years ago, of course what I have now is very different than the original. I wrote a story for Sunlit Tides which I thought corresponded nicely with Sulani. I was going to do Brindleton Bay as my next locale, but I didn't have a very good storyline written for it, and I had major writer's block. So I decided just to stick with the Sunlit Tides/Sulani story. Plus, Sulani is beautiful and probably my favorite Sims 4 world at the moment.

@NyteRose
    1) I have different ways of dealing with writer's block. If I have writer's block for a particular story I'm working on, I usually try to write something different. An example is that I was having major block for my Brindleton Bay story, and I just couldn't come up with anything I liked. I decided to scrap that story and go with the Sulani story I already had a rough draft for. I ended up changing a lot of the story, but I didn't have writer's block anymore. Also, if I'm having writer's block with a certain story, sometimes I'll work on a different story or even just pull up the game and play and see if I get any ideas. If I absolutely can't write anything, then I usually just take some time away from writing or thinking about writing. If I force myself to write it doesn't work for me and I usually just stress myself out. I find taking a walk outside helps me get my creative juices flowing again, I love hiking and being outside, even if it's cold and snowy, lol. Sometimes reading or watching TV or a movie also helps me. Also, I find that I'll usually get these spurts of creativity, and then I just have a huge binge session of writing and get my idea down while I have the motivation. Then, later on, I'll go back and edit and change things I don't like. I'm also not afraid to throw out things and try not to get attached to anything. If I have a scene I like, but it doesn't quite work, I'll try to rewrite it or even use parts of it in a different story.

2) A little of both, I guess. I have a few different stories I'm working on currently or at least rough drafts that need to be worked on. I try to designate a day or two to a certain story. So if I want to work on updating a chapter of Supernatural Misadventures I work on that for the day or two and only edit or take screenshots for that chapter and don't go to my other story until I have that chapter that I am working on updated. Also, if it's been a long hiatus, I try to read the last couple chapters that I wrote to get into the tone and mood of the story, then I start editing and taking screenshots, or writing new stuff for the story.

Hopefully, those answers make sense. If anyone else has ideas on how to get through writer's block feel free to chime in. :)
    I've been digging through some of my old screenshots. I found the vampire that I used to create Ian. I can't remember his name, I'll have to pull up this save because it was a fun save. I had a lot of interesting families and was thinking of doing a storyline around it. Anyway, alternative universe Ian was the product of an evil vampire guy that had three wives (I allowed polygamy in this particular game) and each of his wives had triplets at the same time (MC Command center helped with that). I immediately aged all nine kids to teenagers, didn't want to go through the headaches of toddlers, lol.
    idO0HCWl.png
    He's talking to Simeon Silversweater's daughter (I think she's adorable and I was surprised she turned out so cute), they have the hots for one another, even though he's old enough to be her father, and her best friend is his niece. Plus, she's a spellcaster and he's a vampire, even though he likes to pretend he isn't. His vampire dad ditched all three of his wives and all nine kids, so he doesn't really like his vampire side of the family. He had dog lover, lazy and family-oriented as traits, and he was constantly showing up at his half-sister's house to help take care of her two kids. He really grew on me after that so I decided to use him as a template for Ian. He gets the award for best uncle.
    xi7F9FGl.png
    He also liked to wear scarves, even on a hot summer day.
    DKdkc0Dl.png
    Okay sorry for the massive photo dump. These are some of the pictures from my Sims 3 version of Supernatural Misadventures.
    9sSlS70l.jpg
    1SFofFil.jpg
    I really miss the ghost hunting career from Sims 3. Hailey was a ghost hunter, I guess she still kind of is, and lived in Hidden Springs.
    iGT9nqEl.jpg
    Barnes and Hailey in Sunlit Tides. I actually like my Sims 4 version of Barnes so much better. I had a height slider mod in Sims 3, and in my head I imagined Hailey being this very petite ghost hunter, and people would underestimate her because of her tiny stature, but in Sims 4 the height mod was just too much of a hassle with poses, so I did away with it.
    GMBs4i7l.jpg
    pdzlwznl.jpg
    The infamous red room, I totally forgot I had taken pictures of it. I actually think my Sims 3 version is way better than my Sims 4 version. And who could forget Ivan in the background.
    4cZMAbtl.jpg
    Ian and Vern. I pretty much love both versions of Vern, especially her hair and her facial expressions. The guy on the left is Stevens, Ian and Vern's boss. I've changed his character and we don't get to meet him until much later, but he's undergone a lot of changes since his Sims 3 days. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of Soto in a Sims 3 version, because he is a new character and wasn't even a thought in my head when I wrote the sims 3 version.

Okay, that's all from me for right now. :)
    @lone_cat That's awesome! It looks like Supernatural Adventures have been going on a long time. :blush:
    How do you manage to stay interested in one story for so long? My problem is that I get distracted really easily. Sometimes it feels like there's a million different stories that I want to tell. How do you manage to focus?
  • lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    Hi guys - is there any way to join this? I'm both a writer and a reader, so if you have an opening for either I'd love to be part of a SimLit circle!
    @lone_cat A lot of my ideas for breaking through writer's block are pretty similar to yours. Sometimes I get stuck in a spot where I only have one story I'm working on at the moment, so when I get stuck on it, it's hard. It's awesome you've got a few different ones you can drift between. I also find that being able to distance myself from a story that isn't working can often bring up new ideas later. And seeing what the Sims do when I'm just freeplaying is a good spark, too!

I love the Sims 3 screenshots, especially the Red Room! I still haven't played it nearly as much as 4, but I can see why it's well-loved.

@15aewar Lol, the soundtrack to Mulan is totally stuck in my head, now. (But that's okay, because it's a good soundtrack.) That was an awesome interlude. I loved his worries about that Landgrabb sun-kissed skin. And the "alluring as a cowplant's moo!" ^_^ Keeping Up With The Slayers has been a well-needed dose of humor for me the past couple weeks.

Speaking of which, do you want to chat Slayers this week? It's your turn in the spotlight. :)
    edited April 2020
    @katrinasforest Absolutely! I hope I can think up some questions for everybody. :D
    I'm so glad you're enjoying it. I have a blast playing that save!
    Okay, I'll BRB in a little while with some questions for this week. <3
    @lilypadmeulin Yeah, can she join? She just started a series about the Charm family. It's really well-written!
    @15aewar I wrote it about four years ago, and I was playing way more sims 3 than 4 at the time. Then the story collected dust on my computer for a couple of years and now I've resurrected it. I had it all set up in Sims 3, I started a Wordpress site (the site I'm using now), but I never promoted it. I also had like six separate stories already written, so that helped because I had so much story to work with. Then I took down the pictures (I didn't have a lot of screenshots) and decided to go with Sims 4 instead. I like how the sims look in Sims 4, but there are a lot of things I miss about 3 (especially the ease of posing and being able to put a lot pretty much anywhere in the world).

I totally understand getting distracted by other creative ideas. I have like a million stories I've written or want to write. I think I go back to Supernatural Misadventures because it was one of the first sims stories I started to write and I got attached to all my characters and wanted to tell their story. My other story, Lost in a Magic Realm, has kind of gone on the back burner, but I'm sticking with it. I have two characters I haven't introduced, but I am really excited for them to become part of the story. So, I think that's what keeps me going, it is mostly the characters and having a lot written up already, and probably my stubbornness, lol.

@katrinasforest Thanks! I got hooked on the sims franchise with Sims 3. It was my first Sims game, if you don't count Sim City, which is also super addictive. I've gone back and played Sims 2, which is also super fun, but it didn't get me hooked like Sims 3 did, maybe if I played it first it would have.

Haha, I also have that Mulan song in my head. It's one of my favorite Disney songs, so it's not a bad earworm to have. :)
    @lone_cat Hooray for good ol' stubbornness! Is it easier to pose sims in TS3? Don't you have to know the exact text string or something? I kinda like the teleporter method.
    Okay, question time!
    1. So far, we've got Geoffrey Landgraab (deceased), Simeon Silversweater (deceased), Caleb Vatore (engaged), and Pink Hair Guy on the list. Which eligible bachelor would you like to see Elvira pair up with?
    2. Would any of you be interested in seeing your sim in Elvira's cellar?
    3. For some reason, I've spent a lot of time on raising the Slayer brood. Is the pace too slow, or should I pick things up a bit?