Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best modular stair configuration for saving space?

I'm still getting the hang of modular stairs. What's the best configuration for saving space?

Comments

• DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited May 2020
    I do 2 turns, it makes it so I can put a tv or stereo under them. It's a u shape, like this [_].

Eta. The size is 3 X 2 with a tv, desk, or stereo fitting within the 3 X 2 area.
    Post edited by DragonAge_300905 on
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,946 Member
    edited January 2020
    depends on space is really all one can say but personally I often find U stairs at the back of house pretty easy way since I can easily add stairs in same place next floor and it takes like elevator worth of space
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Good question
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    edited January 2020
    I'm still getting the hang of modular stairs. What's the best configuration for saving space?

You don't actually save space. However, if you want it more compact, instead of straight, then something like this:
    3sCdF7M.png
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    edited January 2020
    As said above, you don't save any space, in fact you always use more tiles. And it takes sims longer to go upstairs or downstairs too.
    Wall height is also an important factor if you want to be able to place object underneath the stairs and use them and/or not have sims unable to use the stairs because of them.
    But in tight spaces it can be useful to not have straight stairs. I usually just make L shaped stairs. Like for example in the tiny house I submitted for the contest.
    I'm gonna try to add a picture to this, but I'm on mobile so it's a bit of a hassle.
    1a01f5c82ee7f8a5ec933c87088f412fbb404d17.jpg
    The front door (not pictured, but opposite the back door that is pictured) is one tile away from the stairs (the lower floor is 5x9 tiles, short walls), so if I had wanted to use straight stairs I wouldn't have been able to put them in this orientation but I'd have had to turn them 90 degrees and align them to the long side of the house.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    @MDianaSims I like what you did with the stairs there. Nice!
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• RDMAJ1990RDMAJ1990 Posts: 11 New Member
    Hello! Your build is awesome. How did you delete the floor under the stairs? I’m attempting to build, but when I delete the second level floor under the stairs to expose the bottom (like floating stairs), my whole second floor staircase disappears.
    edited April 2020
    Open staircases like the one pictured above don't have walls underneath them. You can place those first and then replace them with the stair type of your choosing.
    Alternatively, you place the stair type of your choosing and if it does have supporting walls underneath it,
    use the sledgehammer tool to remove those.
    tumblr_inline_o79x5hI6QF1u21s2l_1280.jpg

Edit: I just realised you asked something different, but as it happens I did write a tutorial that covers that technique: https://mdianasims.tumblr.com/post/141437735990/ts4-building-guide-warehouse-loft
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,096 Member
    @MDianaSims is that house on the gallery? I'm so curious to see the rest of it. I love what I can see!
    @aaronrulz you mean the tiny house? It is on the gallery, my ID is the same as my forum username.
    The lot is called Tiny Home, Happy Garden.
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,096 Member
    @MDianaSims oh my god! I just saw your tumblr. Your houses are AMAZING!! How far are you into your save file? I'm going to start following you in the gallery. :smile: