Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

UPDATE 9-2-20 Has your Sims 3 game been affected by the recent pixilation issues?

Comments

• Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    My game has been affected and I'm upset
    @ZeeGee There is for you and anyone else involved a deband function in quite a few Reshade presets. So you could try that. Reshade hates me and refuses to work 99% of the time, so I've just been tweaking my Freestyle settings to try to at least make it look somewhat more tolerable until a fix comes along.

Also, ZeeGee, I posted TS4 pics but I made an oopsie. Updating my Nvidia drivers tends to reset my in-game graphics settings and it unchecked the setting to use uncompressed textures for the sims in TS4. Which is why the sim, at least for me, looked so awful. :lol:
  • budewarminbudewarmin Posts: 371 Member
    Is this issue tied to w10? I have w8 and see atleast some of the issue, just not very bad. But I dont know if thats just the way sims 3 is or that issue.
  • Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    @budewarmin All evidence points to Windows 10 being the root of the problem. Very light color banding has always been in TS3, but this recent color banding is comically bad.

NRAAS has a thread on this if you want to keep up better with it from more tech-y players:
    https://www.nraas.net/community/chatterbox/topic8132/o40
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    I guess, today, the game wanted to not let me feel left out.
    3oAozK5.jpg
    fNVN762.jpg
    CCl0bYC.jpg
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    budewarmin wrote: »
    Is this issue tied to w10? I have w8 and see atleast some of the issue, just not very bad. But I dont know if thats just the way sims 3 is or that issue.

@budewarmin Yes, it's one of those Windows 10 updates. Be glad you're still on 8. I was shopping today seeing if I could find a copy of 7 or 8 to install on my computer. There has always been a little bit of color banding (though I didn't know that's what it was called), mostly in the night sky is when I saw it. But now it's just all over the place.

@Turjan Oh I'm so sorry. :*(
  • budewarminbudewarmin Posts: 371 Member
    I'm on w8.1 with gforce gtx 970 (Nvidea) and this is how it looks with me.
    b5c5e10e67194a82b3173ec2154ccd700ffff58b.jpg
    00b83e36ca1efab1cb3e97684ca085148deaff98.jpg
  • FrusturatedUserFrusturatedUser Posts: 484 Member
    edited January 2020
    Yeah. This seems new...
    o9z3WzS.jpg
    Things are fine enough during the day, although anything dark looks a little odd, but it's just terrible at night.
    @budewarmin Oh wow so even getting a new computer with Windows 8 wouldn't fix it. :scream:

@FrusturatedUser Oh my that's bad
  • JemkatkJemkatk Posts: 199 Member
    Yes actually!! My husband accidentally updated my computer (which I had purposefully been avoiding) and now when I look at the horizon, it's all pixelated looking and blotchy.
    I thought maybe it was just Starlight Shores, but no.. it's gotta be this.
    I run graphics all the way up, and use a Nvidia 960M card.
    I have tons of sunset pics on my laptop from the game, and have never experienced this before.
  • AaeiynAaeiyn Posts: 521 Member
    Other. Please explain in comments.
    I put "Other" 'cause mine isn't exactly the same as everyone else. Just, things seem to take like a whole 5 Minutes to actually load, their physical appearances, sometimes. Not exactly sure, if this follows the same "pixelation" issue, others are experiencing.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I'm running Win7 with a GF GTX 750ti and my game has always looked like @budewarmin 's game does, with the colour banding, despite having everything on max settings. I've just concluded that is the way TS3 is, and not really bothered about it any more.
    I am not having the intense pixelisation that others seem to have though.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    My game has been affected but it doesn't bother me

I'd have to say I'm in the same boat as @Pary , I thought this was something that had been in the game for as long as I can remember. I always seen it in the night sky....

OOkhBkI.jpg
    cKS2Lf3.jpg
    jyXRKvM.jpg

I see it a tiny bit on the fridge but it does not bother me tbh and I don't see anything on my sims. Then again I have lighting mods and CC so idk if that makes some sort of a difference. I do hope it gets fixed for those of you who are bothered by it/have it really bad.

Running on Windows 10 gtx 1050ti by the way.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited January 2020
    Other. Please explain in comments.
    @xitneverendss, I guess a graphics card is in my future then as well as ReShade. Considering how this graphics problem makes the Sims look outdoors at night off the reflection of the lights. I guess I may have to start looking at graphics mods to offset the problem since it doesn’t seem as though Microsquash will bother doing anything about it.

What a royal pain in the rear-end this is.

When I was still able to play (CPU fan), my sims looked proper (way before the update that carked everything up in March/April 2019 which affected a lot of gamers

This was in Jan, 2019
    Screenshot-36.jpg
    Andt there was no stresking of light across the face. But between that Mar/April update and this latest one Microsquash has managed to royally muck things up for us Simmers.

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    My game has not been affected
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    Is it an AMD vs NVIDIA thing? I have an AMD Radeon 7770 and I have not noticed this issue on my game.

I can't change my vote, but I took a closer look at my objects over the weekend, and yes I am now seeing that I do have the issue. But I don't seem to have it as bad as some other people's pictures have shown.
    I have sim and object detail on max, but trees and shadows down to low-medium.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • JemkatkJemkatk Posts: 199 Member
    I checked out the fridge in game and yeah.. it has awful pixel banding. I have no idea how to post screenshots but if I figure it out, I will.
    I don't know why Microsoft updates cannot be turned OFF. I purchased the computer, shouldn't I have the agency to have a say in whether or not I use their awful updates that ALWAYS ruin something?
    Half the time in previous updates, my PC wouldn't even load windows.
    I guess Microsoft thinks we're leasing these computers. Ticked off lol
  • LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    At first, I wasn't sure what you meant by the pixelation issues, but then I looked at some of the pictures and realised that my game also has the same graphical issues. It's one of those things that I didn't notice until I looked close enough, but it hasn't bothered me too much. It really only becomes noticeable at night in my game. If there's a lot of light, it's harder to see.
  • matthewst10matthewst10 Posts: 47 Member
    I am on the Steam version. It seems to happen with darker walls and the fridge when there are not many lights to light it up. I do notice it but it's not as drastic as some of the pictures I've seen.
  • shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    i'm using nvidia and windows 7 (hehe sticking it to the man) and i havent noticed anything! atleast ....yet :P
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    My game has not been affected
    I really wish they would fix it.This just started happening to me this month, but apparently its an on going issue.Its like I'm playing on low settings.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    I really wish they would fix it.This just started happening to me this month, but apparently its an on going issue.Its like I'm playing on low settings.

@GraceyManor ^Exactly! That's what I've been telling people.
    It's like, what was the point of getting this higher end computer to make Sims 3 look sharper and more high def, if the freaking Windows 10 update messed with my Graphics Driver (My Card: NVIDIA GE Force 1050 Ti) and ruined it - to where the in game graphics settings don't matter anymore???

I wish I could change my answer, because at first the little color banding issues didn't bother me, but after another update I saw more pixelation on the walls and sims clothing and...I'm NOT happy! :angry: When you use this game as the illustrator for your stories, and you once had beautiful pictures, and now there's all these pixel flaws in them, that's annoying and frustrating! Windows 10 updates should not even be touching anyone's graphics cards/drivers IMO!!! (Those updates should be a separate thing).
    I know that I am not very computer literate and so I don't understand why this happened, or why the Graphics Drivers would be involved, so anyone who knows more about this and is like, "She don't know what she's talking about...this is why the GD's are affected and...blah blah" please excuse my lack of knowledge and ranting and kindly keep negative comments to yourself.

- @ZeeGee informed me that she updated her Graphics Driver to the recent version and that made the graphics worse...
    -I talked to an IT guy and he said GE Force Experience has the potential to make the graphics worse for an older game like Sims 3 and...I can't remember his reasoning why. Forgive my memory... So I'm staying far away from that.
    -I read in another place that Windows 10 updates actually throw people's graphics cards back to a previous version, so they have to keep updating it to the current one to get their graphics looking back to the way they used to. *I do not think this is the case for us Sims 3 players, in my research it seems the better the graphics card, with the updates, the worse Sims 3 is looking. Because it's older. It must be the way Sims 3 is programmed or something because Sims 2 is much older, but you don't see these kinds of graphical issues in it. 🤷‍♀️

For this reason - me not being very computer literate - I contacted a computer repair & build shop in town that also does IT stuff, told them my (and our) dilemma, and they said they would look at my computer and see what they can do free of charge. (The owner told me that). I was like, Sweet! :smiley: Cause they're expensive! :grimace:

So today I'm going to take my computer over there and watch them as we all work to see what we can do to help my game look as wonderful as it did before. This might require uninstalling my current Graphics Driver and going back to an older one, it's just...nailing down the right previous version. Or maybe by them simply changing some settings in my current Graphics Driver will do the trick. Since I don't play any other games - especially high def, 3D ones - on my computer I'm okay with doing this. I'm just leaving this in the hand of experts because I have NO clue what I'm doing and I don't want to destroy my game, GD, or my computer trying to fix this myself.
    (Yes I will be backing up my Sims folders 👍 )

Wish us luck! :star:

If they find a solution I will be SURE to let all of you know about it on here. :) (If I can remember all the steps they took...I should jot down some notes. :p )

I know this is a long shot, and maybe this is something a few of you have already tried with no success, but I'm willing to give it a shot for my game. :star:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
    @emorrill Please take notes! I guess I’ve just assumed that if NRaas experts can’t fix it, it can’t be fixed but I hope so much that your tech people can find a fix. Thank you for doing this.
    edited February 2020
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @emorrill Please take notes! I guess I’ve just assumed that if NRaas experts can’t fix it, it can’t be fixed but I hope so much that your tech people can find a fix. Thank you for doing this.

@ZeeGee Honestly I didn't even think about that. :pensive: And I hope the NRaas guys don't think I didn't trust their conclusions about the issue. I forgot you had asked them about it. I forget a lot these days...

I just needed to take it to someone who could show me how to possibly fix something like this, as I am a visual learner.

I took some notes, but I just ended up tossing them aside...

I wish I had good news for all of you...it was my hope...but no... You were right ZeeGee and so were the NRaas folks. The IT guy that was working with my computer (after trying all sorts of different settings and options) finally gave me his professional opinion that it's a Windows issue and Graphics Drivers have nothing to do with it, even if I were to roll back to a previous version of it. :pensive: I'm sorry...

I won't lie I felt like crying when I walked out of there...

He did tell me though that Windows is becoming more aware of the gaming community and that they've already made some fixes where some games were having issues and they rolled them out in an update. This was (somewhat) a comfort to hear and it's my great hope that they will have a fix for whatever is affecting our Sims game in another update.

I'm telling myself to just let it go and keep on enjoying my game, which I know I will. Nothing could ever stop me from playing it. And to trust that someday Windows will fix the issue.

Keep calm and Sim on my friends. <3

Post edited by emorrill on
    @emorrill I’m sorry that was the answer but at least now we know. I don’t think the NRaas people would be offended. There’s so many different systems and answers that it would be hard to get an answer without seeing each of our systems.

The only option that has not been explored is installing a Linux partition and installing Sims 3 on that. I tried on my my laptop but messed it up so thoroughly I’m afraid to try it on my desktop. Might your IT guy be willing to answer whether that could possibly be a fix?
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @emorrill I’m sorry that was the answer but at least now we know. I don’t think the NRaas people would be offended. There’s so many different systems and answers that it would be hard to get an answer without seeing each of our systems.

The only option that has not been explored is installing a Linux partition and installing Sims 3 on that. I tried on my my laptop but messed it up so thoroughly I’m afraid to try it on my desktop. Might your IT guy be willing to answer whether that could possibly be a fix?

@ZeeGee I have honestly never heard of a Linux Partition. :lol: So I had to look it up...

It sounds complicating, but I could definitely email the guys over there and see what they think.
    @emorrill I think someone on here mentioned it and I ran with it, did lots of research, and figured out how to try it out on a thumb drive. It was actually easy. When you turn your computer on you can choose to boot to Windows or Linux. But when I tried to actually install it instead of just using it on a thumb drive I messed up. I finally gave up but might try it again at some point. Google Ubuntu if you want to read about it. I think I added too much space to it and didn't leave enough for Windows but really I have no idea. I need to learn that Google can't make you a techie genius. :lol:

Some have said that Sims 3 runs really well on it but I never got that far.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top