Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

UPDATE 9-2-20 Has your Sims 3 game been affected by the recent pixilation issues?

Comments

• Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited February 2020
    Other. Please explain in comments.
    I’m not sure if it will even work but has anyone tried reinstalling their graphics card drivers to try and overwrite the changes that the Windows update made to the graphics coding? I don’t know if that will work but at this point; I’m willing to try anything. But since my computer is completely down at this point someone else will have to be the guinea pig.

I’m seriously getting tired of Microsquash haphazardly coding their updates and throwing them out there with a laissez-faire Caveat Emptor when they screw up royally. Evidently responsibility for their errors is not a part of their company culture any longer.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited February 2020
    My game has been affected but it doesn't bother me
    Yup, reinstalled on new computer windows 10 it's awfully pixelated in fullscreen mode. Windowed is okay but it's still noticeable

I am playing on low graphics settings though.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    My game has not been affected
    I’m not sure if it will even work but has anyone tried reinstalling their graphics card drivers to try and overwrite the changes that the Windows update made to the graphics coding? I don’t know if that will work but at this point; I’m willing to try anything. But since my computer is completely down at this point someone else will have to be the guinea pig.

I’m seriously getting tired of Microsquash haphazardly coding their updates and throwing them out there with a laissez-faire Caveat Emptor when they screw up royally. Evidently responsibility for their errors is not a part of their company culture any longer.

I actually tried that and it made it worse.
  • Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member

I actually tried that and it made it worse.

Really? Darn...

Further proves what they've all been saying that this is purely a Windows issue. Because the game ran fine on all drivers, even when they had updates... Until this Windows 10 1903 update came around...
    They better fix it...

My hope is that with Sims 4 & other popular games being affected that more people will be putting up a stink and that will get their attention. Keeping fingers crossed!
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Dam... that really stinks. So chalk up another one to a list of do not touch when I get my computer back working again. Hopefully Microsquash decides to take responsibility for this and roll out a fix but every thing is pointing to a “no solution forthcoming” from their end.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    ScottDemonScottDemon Posts: 504 Member
    My game has been affected and I'm upset
    Dam... that really stinks. So chalk up another one to a list of do not touch when I get my computer back working again. Hopefully Microsquash decides to take responsibility for this and roll out a fix but every thing is pointing to a “no solution forthcoming” from their end.

It's not like MS doesn't know about it. The same problem was also affecting games on the Xbox One but 3 weeks later they rolled out an OS update for the console and it no longer has the problem.
    All my computer games have been affected by whatever MS did including new games like Skyrim SE and Fallout 4.
    I'm just a little bit crazy LOL
    Okay actually I'm totally and completely nuts LOL :p
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @ScottDemon - Wasn’t saying they don’t know anything about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techtimes.com/amp/articles/239511/20190312/latest-windows-10-update-causes-lag-in-games-microsoft-advises-update-uninstall-as-quick-fix.htm
    Microsoft confirms that its latest Widows 10 update KB4482887 (OS Build 17763.348) causes certain computers to experience graphics and mouse performance problems when running certain games. The company says that while it is currently working on a fix, users may just uninstall the update that is causing the glitches.

It appears this problem is well over an year old (they rolled out an update in Mar 2019 which affected graphics in select games and still have not managed to fix the problem almost an year later rolling out yet another update further complicating the graphics issues) - my money is on their gross incompetence, greed and their willingness to just let the general public have to deal with the consequences of MS’s QC Policy instead of doing their Due Diligence and working out the major bugs in-house before rolling out an update
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @ScottDemon - Wasn’t saying they don’t know anything about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techtimes.com/amp/articles/239511/20190312/latest-windows-10-update-causes-lag-in-games-microsoft-advises-update-uninstall-as-quick-fix.htm
    Microsoft confirms that its latest Widows 10 update KB4482887 (OS Build 17763.348) causes certain computers to experience graphics and mouse performance problems when running certain games. The company says that while it is currently working on a fix, users may just uninstall the update that is causing the glitches.

It appears this problem is well over an year old (they rolled out an update in Mar 2019 which affected graphics in select games and still have not managed to fix the problem almost an year later rolling out yet another update further complicating the graphics issues) - my money is on their gross incompetence, greed and their willingness to just let the general public have to deal with the consequences of MS’s QC Policy instead of doing their Due Diligence and working out the major bugs in-house before rolling out an update

That was a different issue that was causing problems with Radeon cards. This latest one just started around Nov 12, 2019 with KB4524570 on 1903 and 1909 and KB4523205 on 1809 and has affected both Radeon and Nvidia cards (Nvidia seems to be the most affected). It even went cross-platform into causing problems with the Xbox One which also uses Win 10 and that had never happened before.

*edit fixed typo*
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @ScottDemon - The earlier issue may have been a different issue howvever it still affected graphics on computers even if it was just AMD at the time but evidently that issue hadn’t been fixed completely before they rolled out their latest blunder in November since they seem to have carked things up even worse now now affecting Nvidia as well and now going cross platform to XBOX One consoles.

I’d still say that this is gross incompetence at its worst with no responsibility and the barest minimum efforts taken on the part of Microsoft to attempt to rectify the situation.

Considering their blunder of October 2018 where many Win10 users lost files (both images and others (I managed to avoid it as I completely disabled autonomous Win10 updates to prevent the loss of my photographic images (as a photographer, these are several hundred thousand images that could have potentially have been lost if my system had updated in Oct 2018 at the potential cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars in potential lost income and the aggravation of rebuilding my image database costing me time and dollars))). This is not just simple aggravation as far as Microsoft is concerned. Others have actually lost money thanks to Microsoft’s cost-cutting measures and they need to be held to account.

It has been eff-up after costly eff-up with Microsoft putting it plainly and simply.

My viewpoint still stands that their stance on not having internal quality control will continue to create such issues in the future.

Their whole stance on this problem stems from their stubborn attempt to cut costs by eliminating in-house quality control and smacks of corporate greed.
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @ScottDemon - The earlier issue may have been a different issue howvever it still affected graphics on computers even if it was just AMD at the time but evidently that issue hadn’t been fixed completely before they rolled out their latest blunder in November since they seem to have carked things up even worse now now affecting Nvidia as well and now going cross platform to XBOX One consoles.

I’d still say that this is gross incompetence at its worst with no responsibility and the barest minimum efforts taken on the part of Microsoft to attempt to rectify the situation.

Their whole stance on this problem stems from their stubborn attempt to cut costs by eliminating in-house quality control and smacks of corporate greed.
    No that one was fixed. That one didn't affect graphic visuals but the graphic cards performance where it couldn't utilize it's full power where it would cause the card to lag out, freeze or crash the game it also cause mouse lag and CPU spikes. And I just remembered that it did also affect Nvidia's RTX series cards the GTX where fine.

I agree that there is some incompetence there namely from the Tech Managers.

As for the greed I would like to agree but Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer are not running MS anymore. Bill Gates in particular has no say or ownership of the company anymore he's just an advisor he had to sell MS off and give up any authority otherwise the federal government would've tossed him prison. And Ballmer now runs his own non-profit organization.

Satya Nadella is the one running MS and he's not the "All for the money" type. I've meet him and he's actually a very nice guy and genuinely has good intentions just not much common sense. He's just too nice as he won't get rid of the people causing the problems, he lacks that mean streak he should have to get rid of them. It's okay to be a nice guy but there are times you have to be Mr. Mean.
    Post edited by ScottDemon on
  • Options
    Icy_LavaIcy_Lava Posts: 5,461 Member
    I'll have to reinstall Sims 3 on Origin to see if I have any more banding than I'm used to. (Though Sims 3 has always had lots of banding, especially on solid colors and reflective textures)
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Yup, reinstalled on new computer windows 10 it's awfully pixelated in fullscreen mode. Windowed is okay but it's still noticeable

I am playing on low graphics settings though.

I play in windowed and it's bad enough...godspeed sis :pensive:
    Icy_Lava wrote: »
    I'll have to reinstall Sims 3 on Origin to see if I have any more banding than I'm used to. (Though Sims 3 has always had lots of banding, especially on solid colors and reflective textures)

Yeah I only started to notice it when skins looked bad too.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    matthewst10matthewst10 Posts: 47 Member
    edited February 2020
    It's not just The Sims 3 for me... It's pretty much all games that have been affected by this. I think it's just a Windows update bug. I have this problem in Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 3, Dark Souls Remastered, both versions of Skyrim, Dark Souls 3, The Sims 2, The Sims 4 and many more to name. Hopefully they will fix it soon.
    Post edited by matthewst10 on
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    @matthewst10 Hi, and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry all of your games have been affected but glad to know that so many other games are affected because that is more chance that Windows will fix what they've broken.

I've been pretty disheartened by it all. I've never played in Appaloosa Plains before so I thought I'd start a game there to while away some time while waiting for a fix. I clicked on a household and they had two horses and the horses looked horrendous. They looked plastic in some parts and one you could even see the white fence through the horse. It was on a different computer. I'll post the horrible horses pictures later.

• Options
    @ZeeGee I finally heard back from the local computer IT guys about running the game through the Linux Partition thing. :blush:

Their first response to me went like this:

The solution you mention is quite deep. We have been discussing it to see if anyone has some ideas. We will get back with you.

So a day later they wrote me back with this:

The option you mention might work, but it it quite deep. It would require setting your computer up with a dualboot option for linux and then installing the game to be used in a windows emulator in Linux. For your information, sometimes windows emulators have stability issues. If you would like us to try this fix please feel free to bring your machine in at your convenience. Thank you!

My thoughts are it sounds a little iffy... :confused: And I'm afraid something like that would have the potential to break my brand new computer, but...if they are willing to do it for me then maybe not... 🤷‍♀️

I don't think I will have them do it, but we'll see if the game starts to look any worse with more Windows 10 updates. (Heaven forbid!) Then at that point I may seriously consider it.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @emorrill - Having a dual boot Linux partition is not very likely to break your computer unless it was already on the verge of breaking for other reasons. The worst thing that can happen is that the game install on the Linux side might not be as stable as you wanted. Windows proper when you boot into it (not the emulator) will ignore the entire Linux partition as it would be a huge block of data that it wouldn't otherwise understand what to do with.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    @emorrill - Having a dual boot Linux partition is not very likely to break your computer unless it was already on the verge of breaking for other reasons. The worst thing that can happen is that the game install on the Linux side might not be as stable as you wanted. Windows proper when you boot into it (not the emulator) will ignore the entire Linux partition as it would be a huge block of data that it wouldn't otherwise understand what to do with.

Oh ok. Thanks @igazor <3
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    It effects my sims 3 dragon age Skyrim American truck simulator euro truck simulators, gets 5 sims 4.:(
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Icy_Lava wrote: »

^It's funny you should mention this @Icy_Lava because when my daughter left my old Sims 3 game running on my Windows 7 computer...a thought came to me before I shut it down for her.
    Edit: My game I ran through Origin on that computer.

I thought I would check and see if there was any color banding on the cheapo fridge (to see if this was purely a Windows 10 issue). Lo and behold...............

Win-7-color-banding.jpg

Needless to say, I was shocked! :scream:

I'd never noticed that on my old computer...and suddenly I realized this issue has been going on long before Windows 10 updates. And this confirmed that this is very much a Windows issue. (In the days when Sims 3 was first released I'm telling ya folks I do not ever remember seeing this color banding...) Then again, a Win 10 update last year did indeed make things look worse within @ZeeGee 's game to the point that she couldn't film her sims anymore and that tells me the problem is only getting worse with more and more Windows updates. I hope that isn't true, but...it's a valid concern. :(

Praying Windows fixes this. 🙏 If they do, they will redeem themselves in my book!
  • Options
    ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    Ok, seems intel chipsets are not immune to this either.
    Screenshot-3952.jpg
    Screenshot-3959.jpg
    Much better:
    Screenshot-3960.jpg
    From what I can gather from the top two screenshots, some colours look worse than others with this issue.
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • Options
    @emorrill Thanks for checking with them. I'm horrified that this has affected Windows 7 also, at least the fridge color banding. How could a Windows 10 update affect a Windows 7 computer?!

My game did have some graphics issue but it wasn't anything that ruined game play for me until early December. I had played all day on Saturday, booted up the game on Sunday, and had to reset all my options back to high. That was unusual because usually that only happens with a graphics card update, which had not happened. That's when I noticed the TRULY AWFUL graphics. Shiny wood, color banding, pixilation of sims faces and clothes. It was like night and day from the day before when I had been playing.

About Linux, I had found some information that Steam had developed a stable way to play Sims 3 on Linux, which is why I was willing to risk my laptop trying to get it running. I got so far as being able to boot Windows or Linux and then when given an option to do something (don't remember) instead of asking I just picked one. Horrible mistake. If it weren't for Lenovo recovery on my laptop it would have been a goner because even Windows restore wouldn't work.

@igazor Just wondering, do you know of anyone who has managed to play on the new thing Steam has developed for Linux and, if so, is it stable and does it fix the games graphics?
  • Options
    @ChuChuExpress Thanks for the additional info.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Horse pics
    It was easier to see when the horse was moving but you can actually see the white fence bars through the horse. At first I thought the horse had not completely rendered it was so bad, but it had.

sWxs3W9.jpg
    Nw7k7M7.jpg
    3LwF45A.jpg
    ieLG4IH.jpg
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
  • Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    emorrill wrote: »
    The option you mention might work, but it it quite deep. It would require setting your computer up with a dualboot option for linux and then installing the game to be used in a windows emulator in Linux. For your information, sometimes windows emulators have stability issues. If you would like us to try this fix please feel free to bring your machine in at your convenience. Thank you!

My thoughts are it sounds a little iffy... :confused: And I'm afraid something like that would have the potential to break my brand new computer, but...if they are willing to do it for me then maybe not... 🤷‍♀️

I don't think they meant it would break your computer. I think they meant the game would not be stable on a windows emulator and would crash.
    Running Linux is for advanced computer users, so I would not recommend it for most people.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    I found it! Looking at this article, I took this to be a 'Linux for dummies,' which is why I ventured in and tried it. Apparently I need a Linux for dumber than dummies' :lol:

https://www.protondb.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top