The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

UPDATE 9-2-20 Has your Sims 3 game been affected by the recent pixilation issues?

Comments

• ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    My game has been affected and I'm upset
    @SPARKY1922 My version of Sims 3 is all discs too. If this graphics issue is ever fixed, I'll disconnect internet and never reconnect it to this computer again! Not getting the latest Microsoft updates won't be a security issue if the computer isn't on the internet. And YES! Thank you. Filming is ruined for me right now. I tried to just play but my sims' faces are so wrecked.

@Mikezumi Your game looks great to me. The sim's face makes me cry it looks so good! I think I said (in that earlier post in tech), that it was a night issue, and that was what I originally thought. But it also was bad during the day and another update (that pushed through despite me having updates turned off) made it even worse.

@Emily4331 That blue is the worst I've seen! How are your sims faces? Are they pixilated?

@GraceyManor I see it on the headboard in the one pic but other than that it looks okay. How are your sims' faces?

@Cororon The color banding definitely going on!! Thanks for that info. There are two more issues. The sims' faces being pixilated and, I can't remember mentioning that in this thread (which I probably should have) is that wood looks green and shiny. I think they are all caused by the same problem because they all appeared in my game at the same time.

@Nikkei_Simmer Teach me Linux please!
    Here's a pic of the 'shinyness'. Notice the green shine on the wood floor and the side of the tv. There are also some green shiny spots on the chair.

Bav2J86.jpg
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,918 Member
    @ZeeGee when I am recording video for my YouTube I found I need to fill the room with the 'invisible' lights that are found in buydebug.

I have noticed the things you speak of in my games too but they mostly seem to vanish with sufficient lighting. Even when I tested that cheapest fridge, I found adding a light directly in front of it removed most of the issue.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Other. Please explain in comments.
    @ZeeGee

I can see from your pics that there is a continuing issue. What's weird for me to read is that your sims have issues too because that's how it started for me with terrible sims graphics. I had not realised you were on disc as well (or I had forgotten-) so i think you may have 2 choices now which is to maybe try to take the internet out of the equation altogether when you are playing/filming and see if that works any better and/or maybe try the invisible lights that @Karritz mentions and see if they make any difference. I hope you manage to be able to find a solution you are happy with as quickly as possible.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    My game has not been affected
    Fortunately no, this hasn't affected my game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,425 Member
    Other. Please explain in comments.
    I’m just getting started; have to read lots about it first before attempting anything. But when I get it straight I’ll let you know. .
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    I'm not sure about pixelization, but I got these weird shadow issues, too. I first noticed it on untextured walls, but yes, it's also seen on shiny surfaces like fridges.
  • Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    @ZeeGee I zoomed in on my sim's face, but I didn't notice any pixelation on the sims themselves.
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    dmrlFQf.jpg
    I opened up the house from this screenshot and played around with the lighting to see if I could get the same issue. (I also have an NVIDIA GTX 1060 and recently updated Windows 10) I see pixelation on the wall, but it's nowhere near the amount in your game:

B3e1lVH.jpg

It kind of looks like your game is running in 256 color mode for some reason. These ideas probably won't amount to anything, but the only things I can think to check right now are:

* see if your game is running in reduced color mode (right-click the game's icon or exe file, enter Properties, then check under the Compatibility tab)

* sometimes color banding can happen if your brightness and contrast settings have been modified from their default settings (Brightness 50%, Contrast 50%, Gamma 1.00) in your NVIDIA Control Panel

* under "Change resolution" in NVIDIA Control Panel, scroll to the bottom and make sure "Desktop color depth" is at "Highest (32-bit)" and "Output dynamic range" is at "Full"
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 816 Member
    edited January 2020
    So far no problems in my games, but I'll update later on if I have been affected.
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited January 2020
    @Zeegee

Screenshot-31.jpg
    I don't really notice on the sims.
    I paused all future updates for 7 days.

However I did recently lower my graphics to medium on most settings and low on others to reduce lag.
    @Archivist Thank you for the suggestions. I'll try them. Nvidia did walk me through changing a LOT of different settings during our chat. Maybe they changed something they shouldn't have? Anyway, I'll try your settings and report back.

@GraceyManor Her cheeks and neck look pixilated to me when I zoom in, but maybe that is the lower settings.
    Just booted up Sims 4 cause I've heard reports the same thing is happening. It is.
    euChTfo.png
    mDJ2jGI.png
    @InfraGreen Sorry I missed your pics. That is the worst I've seen!

@Kynan Thank you
    Archivist wrote: »
    * see if your game is running in reduced color mode (right-click the game's icon or exe file, enter Properties, then check under the Compatibility tab)

* sometimes color banding can happen if your brightness and contrast settings have been modified from their default settings (Brightness 50%, Contrast 50%, Gamma 1.00) in your NVIDIA Control Panel

* under "Change resolution" in NVIDIA Control Panel, scroll to the bottom and make sure "Desktop color depth" is at "Highest (32-bit)" and "Output dynamic range" is at "Full"

@Archivist All my settings were what you said they should be except I couldn't find 'output dynamic range' anywhere.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    @ZeeGee I zoomed in and still don’t notice 😆maybe it’s always looked that way to me
    @ZeeGee I went ahead and checked TS4 as well and...oof. It is even worse than anything I've seen in TS3. Hopefully these pics aren't too dark, but if they are, just zoom in and the weird pixelation will be apparent.

VXSeVbj.png

2au0aCo.png

TQS8ud1.png

Kbwm5e4.png

This leads me to think I might not have noticed it on my sims because I was only looking at those with custom skintones. For the objects, the more detailed the pattern, the less you can notice the pixelation. So I assume I just don't notice it as much on CC skin since it is more detailed than EA skin. Here are some closeups I took to see:

MMRpXXV.png

LX7BNOl.png

mnzd3zx.png

I think we should probably check other games too, so if you guys see it in anything else you play - post pics.
    @Emily4331 Oh poor girls. That's exactly what I'm seeing on my sims' faces in Sims 3.

I've heard it's in Fall Out 4 too but I don't have that.
  • bobv2bobv2 Posts: 95 Member
    I have always had this in my game, varies to the degree but yeah always there in some form. I didn't even know it was an issue until I read this post, just thought it was the graphics lol
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    This could be an issue that started with Windows 10's 1903 update from last year. The two links below seem to describe the same thing you're experiencing right now (color banding with an NVIDIA card after a recent Windows 10 update) and both offer the same step-by-step solution that could be worth trying:

* https://windowsreport.com/nvidia-color-banding-fix/ (How to fix Nvidia color banding issues on Windows 10 PCs)
    * https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/c6dfkt/fixworkaround_for_windows_10_1903_color_banding/ (Fix/Workaround for Windows 10 1903 Color Banding Issues)

This other link below has a slightly different version of the fix from the above two links that might also be worth trying:

* https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/c7c578/followup_for_workaround_on_windows_10_1903_color/ (Followup for workaround on Windows 10 1903 Color Banding Issues (Important))
    9d9hOnJ.png
    @Archivist Thank you for the tips. I tried them all. There are a few changes. I guess Windows no longer will let right click on "allow task to be run on command" and disable it. Don't know if that's the issue but I tried them all and rebooted, booted game, color banding still there. :disappointed: I really do appreciate you finding this. I'm going to play around with all those settings. I can always click on 'reset to default' if I screw something up really bad, right?!
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I just played through a save until night and don't think it's too bad although I could see it on the kitchen wall, particularly around the smoke alarm and near the shelf.
    49411039923_6fbbfdbf7b_o.jpg

This is my boys at sunset and I don't think I see anything on their faces. The good thing about old age and failing eyesight is that I probably miss a lot of stuff that would annoy others ;)
    49411040148_fcfddaf912_o.jpg
    49411040018_6bf2728876_o.jpg

The boys watching the stars later in the evening. The outdoor light never does my sims any favours :D
    49411513821_555462319b_o.jpg

• MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I just zoomed in on the pics on both my laptop and iPad. It was way more obvious on the iPad and I noticed there is a little on the boys' necks at sunset but not enough to bother me.
    I also tried all of the fixes @Archivist posted. But, I found a site where I could test to see if it was a problem within TS3 for me or outside of TS3. The gradients looked perfect in the test, so I assume this is just a TS3 issue. At least, for me. Color banding has always been a mild problem in TS3, but the color banding recently is noticeably worse.
    @Mikezumi Oh yeah, looks like you have it too but not as bad. Are those first two pictures in Lucky Palms? So beautiful.

@Emily4331 I've always noticed some color banding in the night sky but that's the only issue I've ever had prior to this.

I guess for all of us affected the only thing we can do is wait and hope for Windows to fix it. Or maybe for those of us with Nvidia cards they will work on a fix. There was some chatter about that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top