Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

UPDATE 9-2-20 Has your Sims 3 game been affected by the recent pixilation issues?

Comments

• ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    @Emily4331 Curious, do you have any leftover files in your The Sims3\Game\Bin folder from previous attempts to install ReShade? Particularly DLL files (except TSLHost.dll and EAWebkit.dll, those two need to stay). I've had a couple botched ReShade installations in other games that made those games not load, and it was usually related to bad DLL files in the game directory.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    My game has been affected and I'm upset
    @Archivist The only DLL files in there right now are the EA ones.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    My game has been affected but it doesn't bother me
    @Emily4331 I'm sorry you can't get Reshade to work... :pensive: I can totally understand your frustration! :confounded:
    If you find that certain settings in Nvidia Freestyle help to keep the pixelation and banding away please let us know. 👍

----

So everyone, since nothing can be done to fix this mess (until Windows fixes it... 🤞 ) I've told myself to think positive about it and do whatever I can to make do with the pixel blocks and banding issues; using little tricks to keep them from being so noticeable. 🙌

People mentioned doing this earlier as a quick fix for the plain walls (I'm sure will work on plain clothes too) so I went ahead and did that. :) I wrote down what the color numbers were for the current colors on the wall and made sure to apply those when I added a more textured look on the wall choosing swatches from the "Paint" category. I always loved using plain color swatches, with no texture, in the "Misc" category, but for now, I gotta let those go.

Here's some before and after pics. (I'm so sad how nasty the bands and pixel blocks look on my plain walls now! :confounded: Y'all can see it right?)

Here's Shane's room with the plain wall that I shared earlier:

test-pics-after-1.jpg

Now after I changed the wall texture:

Make-do-with-1.jpg
    Voila! :smiley:

Looks good huh? I'd say even better! :mrgreen:

Same example here in Alex's room.

Before:
    (Look real hard at those walls)

Make-do-with-2.jpg

After:

Make-do-with-3.jpg
    Boo ya! :star:
    You can still see lines on the white parts where the different "panels" meet, but oh well...no one really looks at the molding anyway. Right? :confused:
    :lol:

I have been seeing many more of these weird lines showing up on beds and sims clothing, particularly at the base of some shirts where their belly button is...

Make-do-with-4.jpg

^If any of you affected are experiencing those lines too please let me know. If not, it could be a mod I have, but I doubt it.

But yeah I've just decided to be positive about this from now on because I don't need any more stress in my life. (I think we all don't...) And it's hard...I'm not saying it's going to be an easy mindset to have in this case. And I don't look down on anyone at all for still being upset about it - I am deep inside too - but mostly I just want to find joy in my game again and not allow this unfortunate Windows update to bring me down. I got a story to write! :star: I can't let this ruin my happiness in playing it out and writing it, which I found it was doing. :(

Do share any changes you've made to help your game look a little better and then we can all try them in our games! :blush: Let the happiness abound!

{{{{Hugs}}}} to you all! <3
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    My game has not been affected
    I'm too scared to try reshade.XD
  • Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    I'm too scared to try reshade.XD
    No, its safe mod pretty helps your game look better like lighting not only on the floor see a circle of your sims should hold shadow behind your sims and make your pictures come out pretty like taking snapshot sunset or clear night sky see real stars. no dots. trust me was scared to use it thought my harm my computer but it doesn't. In fact, use in ts4 is a picture that stands out better. It is like you go outside in real life want bright sunny day that will happen.
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr
    @Archivist @Emo-usagi2187 I took pictures using Reshade and they came out all dark... Horribly dark... :confounded:
    I was told even doing videos with Reshade they come out dark...

Is there any way to change that in the settings somewhere? Also what's an easier way to change it so that pictures taken go to your Sims 3 Screenshots folder?
    @emorrill I checked around and it seems like ReShade has an issue with gamma correction when playing in fullscreen mode. You may have to play in windowed mode to be able to take good screenshots/videos with ReShade.
    emorrill wrote: »
    Also what's an easier way to change it so that pictures taken go to your Sims 3 Screenshots folder?
    Here's a quick way to set your screenshots folder to your Sims 3 screenshots folder:

* Open your Screenshots folder in File Explorer
    * Click the address bar at the top and copy the folder location
    * Open ReShade in-game and click the Settings tab
    * Click the two dots next to "Screenshot Path" then paste (Ctrl+V) or type the folder location in the window that appears
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    I use SweetFX from BurntWaffles, I wonder if that compensates for this Windows issue and why I don't notice it so much in my games.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
    edited February 2020
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    I use SweetFX from BurntWaffles, I wonder if that compensates for this Windows issue and why I don't notice it so much in my games.

@KevinL5275 Enlighten me on SweetFX! :smiley:

Or heck I can just open another tab and look it up. :p But I like to hear people's personal experiences with this stuff.
    Are you on Windows update 1903 or 1909?

@Archivist Thank you.👍
    I don't care for windowed mode, but I guess I could try it. :p
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    I had tried Reshade last week, but SMAA wrecked my menus and fonts, which is why I didn't use it. I wasn't too sure about the smoothness that resulted in general, as it looked a bit artificial.

Regarding dark screenshots, that's also what the Windows screenshot function produces, so this doesn't surprise me. I usually have to crank up gamma correction to roughly 1.5 for Windows screenshots.
    Turjan wrote: »
    I had tried Reshade last week, but SMAA wrecked my menus and fonts, which is why I didn't use it. I wasn't too sure about the smoothness that resulted in general, as it looked a bit artificial.

@Turjan It made my UI and menu fonts look all blurry too and it was driving me nuts! :confounded: And then when I discovered the dark pictures I was like, "Nope. This isn't worth it."

Made me sad though because so many of us are hoping to find a fix outside of Microsoft because who knows if they'll actually do it at this point. :confused:
    Yeah, it's definitely kind of a hassle for an imperfect solution. I've been leaving mine toggled off most of the time and only turning it on when I'm going to take a screenshot where the color banding is distractingly bad, but it's a lot of extra steps when I'm just trying to play my game. Still, just wanted to make sure any Simmers who don't mind the downsides knew the option was available. :)
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited February 2020
    The attempt to help is certainly appreciated. I'm sure there are people who are happy with what Reshade can do for them. Our systems - and certainly also how we see the game - are different, so its worth a try. It just didn't really work for me.
    I very much appreciate it too @Archivist <3

Good point @Turjan 👍
    emorrill wrote: »
    KevinL5275 wrote: »

@KevinL5275 Enlighten me on SweetFX! :smiley:

Or heck I can just open another tab and look it up. :p But I like to hear people's personal experiences with this stuff.
    Are you on Windows update 1903 or 1909?

https://brntwaffles.tumblr.com/tagged/lighting-mod

And scroll down to the Sims3 SweetFX mod. I don't remember which version of Win10 I am on as I'm not at that computer, but I figure I'm on the most recent update.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    @KevinL5275 Did you use the version at the bottom specifically for Sims3? Or one of the sharp ones?

@Archivist Sorry, I did google but couldn't find the answer, how do you toggle Reshad off and on?
    @ZeeGee Its been so long, I am sorry I don't remember right now.
    @ZeeGee No worries! On the Settings tab, near the top of the screen you can set an Effect Toggle key to turn ReShade on/off.
    9d9hOnJ.png
    @archivist Thank you. That worked.

I've been doing some testing. Reshade looks much better on my laptop than my desktop for some reason. Here are some pics from my game from laptop, I used an editor to lighten these. This is without Reshade:
    AvH4Swf.png

With Reshade:
    M3im01F.png

So the dark skin looks much better with Reshade, but I noticed if you add freckles it does blend those out.

I set the 'c' key to capture pictures and put them in my Screenshots folder, now I just have to lighten them.
    @ZeeGee ^Might this be a temporary fix for you to finish your story videos? :blush:
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    I may give reshade a try.Watching a tutorial now...
    @emorrill Maybe! I need to test and see if the video is as easy to edit as the pictures were.

@GraceyManor Did you see Archivist's post on how to install? There are exact instructions of how to install it. It's actually easy. I managed to do it. :)
    Quick update about ReShade's SMAA:

I see that ReShade's SMAA is causing issues on a few people's UIs. You actually don't need to turn on ReShade's SMAA as long as you have TS3's Edge Smoothing setting turned on. The main reason you might want to use ReShade's SMAA at all is if you're someone who uses NVIDIA Control Panel's enhanced antialiasing settings; ReShade screenshots remove NVIDIA's antialiasing and will leave jagged edges all over your pictures, so SMAA would be necessary to keep that from happening. But if you use TS3's Edge Smoothing, your edges should look fine in screenshots and you won't need to turn on SMAA.
    9d9hOnJ.png
    edited February 2020
    Archivist wrote: »
    Quick update about ReShade's SMAA:

I see that ReShade's SMAA is causing issues on a few people's UIs. You actually don't need to turn on ReShade's SMAA as long as you have TS3's Edge Smoothing setting turned on. The main reason you might want to use ReShade's SMAA at all is if you're someone who uses NVIDIA Control Panel's enhanced antialiasing settings; ReShade screenshots remove NVIDIA's antialiasing and will leave jagged edges all over your pictures, so SMAA would be necessary to keep that from happening. But if you use TS3's Edge Smoothing, your edges should look fine in screenshots and you won't need to turn on SMAA.

@Archivist Sweet! Good to know. Thank you so much for sharing this! :star:

You have been most helpful to many of us in running Reshade. <3
    @emorrill No problem! Just sharing what I learn playing around with it. :)
    9d9hOnJ.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top