Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

UPDATE 9-2-20 Has your Sims 3 game been affected by the recent pixilation issues?

Comments

• ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    My game has been affected and I'm upset
    I pulled my folder and started with a fresh one. Same issue:

Aj3CJ6h.jpg

I looked around and tested, placed new windows. It seems the issue is only with this particular window. I'm not that worried about finding a fix because I only use this laptop to test the latest updates on my Sims 3 game. I rarely actually play the game on it. It is a 1.67 Steam edition of the game.

@Nikkei_Simmer Looks like the same issue just not as bad. :( All my graphics are set to the highest level.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    My game has not been affected
    Mine updated as well and I feel it isn't as bad as some of everyone else's.

Screenshot-8.jpg

Screenshot-13.jpg
    @GraceyManor There is some pixelation on his face but your sky sure looks great. Are you using reshade?
    edited June 2020
    @ZeeGee im not sure what reshade is.There pixilation on his face but not enough for me to really notice. I also have most settings set to medium.I use brntwaffles fresh cut day with aurora skies, realistic clouds and Skyrim starry field replacement mod
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    My game has been affected but it doesn't bother me
    @ZeeGee I'm gonna have to throw that window onto a wall in my game and see if I get the same issue cause I've NEVER noticed that in my game ever...
    I meant to tell you, I had a doozy of a time trying to figure out why EA hairs looked all pixelated in CAS and Sims body edges looked jagged. (Cause they never did in my game before the dreaded update. It was beautiful HD).
    So I took out my entire sims 3 folder and booted up the game so it would create a new one. Went into CAS on a fresh folder and it looked beautifully smooth like it used to. I was shocked! I realized the issue had to be a mod! This made me hopeful that Windows update wasn't entirely the problem. I simply added my "Global Mods" cc folder in and booted the game up again. Lo and behold the jagged edges and pixelation returned in CAS... :confused: So I took out mods, little by little to narrow down the problem one. Took forever...
    Got to removing all the mods from the folder and the problem was STILL in CAS. At this point I was flabbergasted! :open_mouth: And very confused! How?????
    Turns out, before I added my "global mods" cc folder in, I naturally changed the in game graphics settings back to high on everything and saved. Because, I've always played my game with them in high since getting my new gaming computer.
    A thought came to me...
    I changed the graphics settings back to low, particularly sim detail and texture detail, and went back into CAS. Smooth looking as butter. :star: Left CAS, raised the settings to high, went back in, and the pixelation and jagged edges were back.
    My conclusion, the Windows 10 update screwed up the in game graphics, like we pretty much already knew, to where low settings look all HD and high settings don't. :confused:
    That's not entirely true in LIVE mode cause I tested it, but it certainly is true in CAS. Strange, but it's totally what's happened.
    Now when I want to showcase pics of a sim in CAS, I just change my settings to low, take those pics, get out of CAS and change them back to high for LIVE mode. I dunno if that will cause "serious graphical issues" without closing the game and opening it again, but if I really wanna take good pics in CAS I'll do it. No prob. But mostly I'll stick to LIVE mode pics now.
    Anyway, just wanted to let you and everyone else know what I discovered. I'm relieved to finally have found an answer as to why everything in CAS looked choppy after the Win 10 dreaded update. Now I, and we, know. ;)

*Note, the sim detail cannot be higher than low in CAS for the edges to not look jagged and have horrible nasty pixels on many of the hairs. (Worse pixelation than usual, trust me. I'll try to share an example pic later when I'm back on my desktop. )
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
    @GraceyManor Your sky looks gorgeous. I don't really know how medium settings are supposed to look but your game looks fine. Reshade is a program that makes some issues like color banding go away and allows people to tweak their settings to make their game look different. Archivist recommended it awhile back on this thread.

@emorrill I have seen that! Didn't know what it was or how to stop it. Thanks for the advice.

My main issue is still the pixelated faces in live mode, especially darker sims or at night. And I absolutely know that it was that Windows update because I was getting a sim ready to film a scene one night and had her all set up to go, the next day when I logged in and had to reset everything back to high, her face was so pixelated and her neck was so color banded it was ridiculous. And the back of a man's jacket (Mortimer's) was pixelated horrifically. Those were the two big things I noticed when I booted up the next day. The other thing was the shiny green wood. Reshade does help with the pixilated faces and clothes, though sometimes it takes too much detail away. But I've learned to live with it.

Then I went hunting and found the pixilated walls and color banded fridge. I guess because most people have suffered that for ages not many took it seriously.

I've never noticed that window problem before and I've played in that room in that house with those windows on many different saves and many different computers. It's the Goth's living room. When I updated the Nvidia graphic card and went into game it was there. :angry:
  • cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    edited June 2020
    @ZeeGee I booted up my game to see if I had the same window issue as you. I could not replicate the glitch though.
    Screenshot-231.jpg

It was only until I looked super close that I could see some overlapping edges just like in Nikkei's picture. It was unnoticeable from afar and I kind of want to believe that this has been in the game since the beginning.
    Screenshot-232.jpg

I still have the banding problem with the cheap fridge. But as you can see putting a texture over the top makes it mostly disappear.
    Screenshot-233.jpg
    Screenshot-234.jpg

I am on still on update 1903. My NVIDIA driver version is 436.48
    Edit: Apologies for the shoddy pictures. I am renovating that house :lol:
    edited June 2020
    It is morning in my game so I will test again at night on a community lot or something, but here is outside night Buy mode lighting. I don't notice anything too odd. I wish EA clothes did not have terrible shadows like on his neck though.
    Screenshot-238.jpg

@emorrill I have pixelated EA hair in my game but I made my peace with it, I think in my case I have to keep it that way to get non-blurry cc eyelashes. I could still test that further but I don't really want to mess things up as they are. There's a thread about it. You mention jagged lines as well, I had that too. PM me and we can try and troubleshoot it if you want :smile:
    @coco
    That's a very pretty house!
    @coco Hey girl! :smiley: I can't stand the shadows on the neck from some EA clothes as well! :confounded:

And OMGOSH thank you for the link to that thread! I read through it and followed exactly what Odonata68 said they did here:
    Ok, the cas hair thing was bothering me so I decided to check on my NVidia settings. I know that I've played around with them before, but I think a driver update may have changed something. So I restored all my settings to factory in 'manage 3D settings'. Then the only things I changed back were vertical sync-on and Multi-frame sampled AA-on because Gforce experience said my card supported it.
    Anyways, it fixed the pixelated hair in Cas! yay!

And it worked for me too!! :smiley: WOOP WOOP! No more of those nasty, nasty pixels on most of the EA hairs! They look beautiful again now!

Screenshot.jpg

Screenshot-2.jpg

My gosh I am SO thrilled! I dunno what was going on in my 3D settings, cause yeah those pixels on the hairs in CAS were an eyesore! :flushed: (Thankfully they never showed up in Live mode, but still!)

I did find some example pics of those horrible pixels from CAS in my game, but these examples don't adequately show them off like the example pics that were posted on that other thread:

Alexis-Dutton-2.jpg

Even with Blonde hair you could see them. (Look in the mirror). Gross! :confounded:

Alexis-Dutton-3.jpg

***The jagged lines still show up in CAS for me though...what did you do to remedy that?
    (Setting the Antiailiasing - Mode setting to "Override any application setting" like that other simmer on that thread did, made ALL jagged edges look worse in my game, especially in LIVE mode! It was painful! :persevere: )

@ZeeGee I just realized I forgot to check on those windows in my game so...back into it I go! :lol:

So at a little bit of a distance here's how the window looks:

Screenshot-2.jpg

I zoom in a little closer and I can see "tabs" a teeny tiny bit:

Screenshot-4.jpg

But yeah not to the extent that they look in your game, or enough to stand out at me. I'm so sorry yours look like that on the newest Windows 10 update! :angry: I swear Microsoft is out to kill our beloved game!
    (But really I'm beginning to realize that it's an issue of technology advancing and that this game is a decade old... :cry: )

I feel you on all this still:
    My main issue is still the pixelated faces in live mode, especially darker sims or at night. And I absolutely know that it was that Windows update because I was getting a sim ready to film a scene one night and had her all set up to go, the next day when I logged in and had to reset everything back to high, her face was so pixelated and her neck was so color banded it was ridiculous. And the back of a man's jacket (Mortimer's) was pixelated horrifically. Those were the two big things I noticed when I booted up the next day. The other thing was the shiny green wood.
    ^Those issues all appeared in my game after the update as well, based on previous pictures I viewed of the same sims before the update. It royally su'cks!

**Another big issue from that update I'm seeing more in my game are these white lines (in LIVE mode) that usually appear on objects (like beds), but just now I noticed they are showing up on the MOUNTAINS in Moonlight Falls! :open_mouth:

Screenshot-5.jpg

They too are an eyesore and drive me NUTS when I'm playing! :confounded: Has anyone else been seeing those in their game post 1903 update?
    edited June 2020
    @emorrill Yay! I'm glad it worked for you. My Antialising - Mode setting is set to Application controlled. Not sure if that helps or not. Jagged lines are really annoying once you notice them :disappointed:

I can't say that I've seen white lines in mountains before. Sometimes I see them around lot edges. I have no idea about that :frowning:

Just also wanted to say thanks to those in the thread that suggested the Deband filter with Reshade. It really does help with with the sky. I have been struggling for a while to take pictures with filters, because my older version of Fraps does not open anymore thanks to some Windows update (I assume). It tells me that the administrator has blocked me... but I'm the administrator :unamused:
    Taking screenshots in game, using Reshade, using Geforce Experience, Windowed mode and even the snipping tool all made screenshots look very dark or filter-less. I finally fixed the issue by downloading the latest Fraps version. Just a heads up if there's anyone out there who experienced the same thing.
    edited June 2020
    @coco Mine is set to Application Controlled as well. :) Looking at my pictures above, after changing my 3D settings to default, the edges of the sims in CAS don't look as jagged as they do on my computer screen. 🤷‍♀️ Perhaps it's just my computer, or the monitor.
    It's all good about the white lines. They are strange... It looks like someone is trying to cut out a piece of my game with scissors and are doing a terrible job at it! :lol:

I can't stand playing in Windowed Mode so ReShade is out for me because it darkens pictures when not in windowed mode. I don't have GeForce Experience on my computer anymore because it actually made the Windows 10 update issues look worse in my game (especially the shiny wood). :confused: I guess all these issues vary depending on what kind of graphics card you have. If anyone is curious mine is Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti and my driver version is 436.30 (I rolled it back to see if it would help the graphics issues any and many it did a teensy tiny bit? I've just left it alone).

I'm finally at that point where I'm satisfied with how great my game still looks even after the dreaded update and that I should be thankful because it still looks more smooth and 3D than it did on my old computer so... :mrgreen:
    @emorrill Geforce Experience was fun to try out but for some reason I just couldn't take normal screenshots with it but I might try again now that I have Fraps working again. I don't ever play in windowed mode and Reshade works fine for me. You should try using Fraps (it's free) as it's the only way for me to take screenshots with filters. But I can understand not wanting to change anything. It's like two steps forward and one step back sometimes :wink:
    @emorrill i been noticing those white lines on some of
    My builds.
    coco wrote: »
    @emorrill Geforce Experience was fun to try out but for some reason I just couldn't take normal screenshots with it but I might try again now that I have Fraps working again. I don't ever play in windowed mode and Reshade works fine for me. You should try using Fraps (it's free) as it's the only way for me to take screenshots with filters. But I can understand not wanting to change anything. It's like two steps forward and one step back sometimes :wink:
    ^It really is. ;):kissing_heart: I tend to get a little set in my ways. :p

Interesting. You referred me to Fraps before and after downloading it I took one look at it and saw confusion :lol: so I was like Nope! (Again, going back to being set in my ways. :joy: ) It's possible it looked more overwhelming to me at the time depending on if I was a having a depressive flare up or not... :confused:
    PM me the link you found to the latest version of it, and maybe I can try it again. Thanks. <3
    @emorrill i been noticing those white lines on some of
    My builds.

@GraceyManor ^Thanks. Good to know I'm not the only one who has that issue in my game. 👍
    @coco Love your pics. Your sims are gorgeous and their faces look incredible. I'll check out the thread later though I do remember having the problem of horrible looking hair in CAS and finding a fix, but don't remember what it was. It seems all the tweaks that usually help and are supposed to help the way the game looks leaves mine in ashes. :angry: For example, antialiasing does the opposite to mine!

@emorrill Glad you got your issue fixed with the hair but omg those white lines. That's awful looking. Even though it's an old game I'm hoping some genius comes through for us. Sims 2 is an even older game and it had a couple of minor graphics issues that modders fixed so I guess we can always hope. In the meantime my gaming desktop is now, and will always be, off the internet and out of the clutches of Windows 10.

I just need to learn to film with Reshade somehow. Right now if I film with Reshade on with my desktop everything comes out orangey. May be an update because my laptop films Reshade perfectly, but I don't use my laptop for filming. It it ain't one thing it's another. :anguished:
    Oh and P.S., I'm going to look back at some of my video of the Goth mansion and see if I can see those little bad spots in the Windows. Maybe it was always there and the update made it more pronounced.
  • GguyGguy Posts: 254 Member
    Never heard of this issue before. So no, i haven't experienced it.
  • ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    I'm going to go ahead and say, since updating to 1909 on a NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650, I have noticed the banding and pixilation...and it's freaking bad:
    Screenshot-3981.jpg
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
    @ChuChuExpress Well that is not the FIRST thing I noticed in this pic. 😲😁 But I’m sorry you’re now experiencing this issue too.
    @ZeeGee.
    Eh, sorry :p I should have taken a screenshot of one of the walls. But yeah, 1909 was forced onto this laptop, when it was perfectly fine on 1809. Heh, that rhymes.
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
    I wish updates weren't forced upon us.Its my laptop and it should be my choice if I want to update.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited June 2020
    Other. Please explain in comments.
    This pretty much covers MY reaction whenever I see an "Update and Restart" notification on my computer.

Windows_Updates-tweet.jpg
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    Phew... :confounded::dizzy: after seeing that picture with those grossly oversized body parts... I think I need some Plum Eye Wash

@SuzyCue72.
    Sorry about that :sweat_smile:

Here's another example of the pixilation issues.
    Screenshot-3982.jpg
    Let those smiles spread!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top