Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's the worst expansion pack and game pack and why?

13...Next

Comments

• candybootcandyboot Posts: 129 Member
    Worst game pack-Dine out. So buggy!
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    edited January 2020
    By far and away, Strangerville. First you have to go through the whole kill the mother thing just to use it. Now if I want to use Strangerville, I have to go through this all over again because I got a new computer. I don't want to.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Just gonna copy/paste this list of packs in here and give my honest opinion about them all and decide from there what the worst pack is:

Outdoor Retreat - I did like the concept of it and that it was something new for once. Sims going camping and experiencing the wild life in a tent. Even though the world and aspects of it where pretty disappointing and lacking, but that is mainly the fault of the base game and it's engine itself. It gets boring very fast due to that, but I still use the items and features these days.

Get to Work - Was excited for the concept of it, cause I loved Open Business in TS2. It needed more than just 3 careers, but the my attention for this pack lasted long enough to say it is one of the good ones. Still waiting to explore the two remaining open jobs from this pack.

Luxury Party - Stuff packs are always a bit mehh unless they are done very very well and come in subjects that matter to the community + a feature that is game changing. All though I use some of the items and dress from this pack, it was not mandatory at all. A party pack was the last thing this game needed at that point and still.

Perfect Patio - Not sure what all the items of this pack were, but it would have been better if they combined the patio and garden together. Packs like this are containing such small subjects that do not really matter to wait all these months for and then they just end up disappointing and not worth it in my opinion. Oh I see, it has a hot tub.. hmm.

Spa Day - Also another nice concept and something new. I felt it had much to offer and still use their items up until this day. It means in contains needed and necessary items for daily use or building lots where I can also work with creative lot ideas and stories.

Cool Kitchen - I remember this pack was not so comforting as it was all about the kitchen, but it missed it's key items. We are still missing tons of good swatches and new kitchen cabinets that are not just a mesh copy from other packs. So no, this pack did not implant much into my game and I would not miss it I think.

Spooky - Honestly have no idea what this pack delivered, but probably Halloween stuff if you are into that. I remember the trick or treat thing was broken up to a few months ago, so never really had a good chance of enjoying this pack. I do like the pumpkin carving table, but that's about it. If im not wrong, I think your can create a Halloween themes event/party without this pack, so it was not really mandatory to create a stuff pack for this. I rather would have an autumn bases stuff pack with items that can be used realistically and for day to day use as well.

Get Together - I think many (including me) are forgetting that this pack brought the club system which is one of the major game changing aspect in the history of The sims 4. I think it is mostly overlooked due to that cringe event with a former producer R. who had overly hyped dancer in colorful clothing jump on stage with her and clearly made a fool out of themselves. And is insulting as it was for it's community, cause yet.. another party themed pack, it did actually bring one of the best worlds, a great system and many cool features. It was just promoted totally wrong, but i think that has been dealt with back then.. goodbye R.

Movie Hangout - I liked the style of this pack! The furniture, the popcorn machine, the big tree with lights and the giant tv screen for an outdoor cinema. Great for stories! The style of this pack reminded me of boho/hippie and that is what I am living for, so yes, great stuff pack!

Romantic Garden - Some nice bushes, trees, flowers but not much else.. I like to decorate my garden and I learned to get better at it by time, but I think this pack could have been so much better and more expanded than what it brought us. Why even call it romantic if you are not going to add new romantic interactions for out sims???!!! I lost it at that one. It was just disappointing for that part of the name.

Dine Out Game Pack - I only like it, cause it brought the long wanted dine out options and owning/running a restaurant. This pack is something I can not live without, cause it gives my sims purpose on their free time which is needed in The sims 4. The pack could have been made so much better, but then again.. blame it on the poor engine.

Kids Room - I am still missing nice looking kids room items, so this pack was not all that for me. I am a little tired of seeing these old fashioned, colorful, round shaped children items that are not from this time anymore. They really need to upgrade their style on this one. Children have also not much to do, so this could have been a good chance, but nope.. not much that interested me or my gameplay here. The void critters are nice, but there is not much you can do with it other than playing pointless games, search/buy or gift cards... I was expecting some serious results from this overly hyped game the kids were introduced to.

Backyard Stuff - Some of the items were really nice. The water slider and the deco ladder that holds plant pots. Some re-used meshes again and the bird feeder could use some more entertainment and meaning. But mainly I would not want to miss out on that water slider, cause I looks great in my backyard in Del Sol Valley and it serves the parties they throw in there greatly. You now those typical California summer nights with friends.. ah great!

City Living - Nice pack and of course APARTMENTS! Can't live without them and yes I know.. the restrictions are killing me, but what to expect at this point in The sims 4.. we know we not gonna get 2020 worth packs in this franchise. The world is okay too and the festivals are another gameplay aspect that gives sims a little bit more meaning, so yes, i would not want to miss out on that one.

Vintage Glamour - Wait what?! Vintage glamour is not the same as Luxury Party stuff? I mean, it could have been blended it with that pack as well as Get famous. So no, not really necessary. But I do like some of the items like the salon table, one tile bar, the animal lamp and actually quite a few items now that I look at it. Did the butler come with this pack or was it in a free update? If not, I think this pack is not something I would do without, but it was still not needed. A little bit of a milking the cow case if you ask me.

Vampires - I don't like vampires, supernatural things of whatever belongs in that section, so a big no for me. But i am not gonna say it is the worst pack just because of that. I know many are interested in this and I also know it was quite disappointing and it resulted in many bugs that made vampires unplayable as they always forgot to update them or something. I DID like the items from this pack and i do use them. For churches, old historical buildings etc. Those are really beautiful and detailed! So, not the worst pack at all.

Bowling Night - Bowling is great and could be a nice thing for our sims to add to their free time activities list, but i just dont play it that often as I find it quite annoying they couldn't communicate while bowling and there was a limit, so group bowling was never a thing. Waist of opportunity if you ask me.

Parenthood - One of the best packs, just because it is focused on family play and it was more than needed. Also love the new system where raising your children has actual effect on their future. Well.. as for much The sims 4 goes.

Fitness Stuff - unnecessary pack. Instead of upgrading existing equipment, they could introduce some new features or fitness hypes from the real world like group lessons of all kinds, dance lessons/classes, water bottles, new vending machine with healthy snacks, smoothies, blender machine and just more focus on sims trying to be healthy and fit instead of just pumping in the gym in new gear.

Toddler Stuff - Bit disappointed, cause of AGAIN.. giant objects. I cant use them in my small town houses, so yeah.. wasted chance. Wish there was more for them to do and learn then just playing in giant objects or the general toys they play with.

Cats and Dogs - It brought the long wanted pets, so yes could not live without it. BUT, only cats and dogs??? Now come on.. that was just ughh.. so Sims 4 like.

Jungle Adventure - Loved the pack! The world, the vibe and the danger of it. I was so surprised when I nearly dies every time in the jungle and you really had to be prepared and learn before entering that dangerous wild, but beautiful greens. I take so many pictures each time I go there. I have a whole sims created around that world and being an architect, so this pack was and still is enough to keep him entertained and busy for his entire life.

Laundry Day - community voted pack right? Can't go wrong if they listen to us. Nice objects, nice style and laundry just adds that little realism in my game that i like. Also great that it stays optional for those who do not like it. Overall, I just like the style of this pack. It is very 'now' and just fits into the world of today.

My first Pet - Do not like the childish style of this pack. Also not into clothes for animals. I think this is more of an owners wish than of the animal itself, so nope. Just noy my kind of pack, but would not rate it the worst cause of its content.

Seasons - Just a great, giant pack with lots of new introductions, game changing systems and that event calendar!!! Love it!

Get Famous - Still enjoying it and trying to get my sims famous. The world is terribly small and has so much missing aspects. I mean, no beach in a California inspired world??!! No body guards, no cars to buy with all that great fame money, no limousines and those poorly made award shows or celebrities popping up random lots as if they got nothing better to do is just too weird and unrealistic. For that part, I don't really feel
    the world of rich and famous.

Strangerville - I did like it that they put a quest in this pack and it brings some excitement and danger which the sims desperately needs. It is all rosy, flowery and happy. Bring on that drama! I like the world and the style along with it's fitting items it brought, but haven't played with it much. I am not over the moon by it, but I am not interested in this unrealistic quest. i just think it was a good move and many people liked it. Would like to see more of this, but with more realistic themes for other players as well.

Island Living - Here i started to get bored of so much lacking things in the sims 4. It could have been sooo much better. No hotels, no resorts, no property owning for our sims to buy holidays and then no diving under water??!! These things made quite furious as a loyal sims player. Even though i loved this concept, world and everything, but it was just one of the most disappointing packs. And that overly done promotion of mermaids as if we are mainly 10 year old children who live among rainbows and unicorns.. please stop. It is just insulting.

Moschino - I was never excited for this, cause i do not care for this brand. TS2 H&M? Now, that was something and along with those real stores and fitting rooms it would bring.. oh my! I did end up liking this moschino pack, cause of the useful and cool furniture it had and the photographer career. It was a nice surprise and I wish it would happen more often.

Realm of Magic - Again, not a supernatural fan, but loved the building aspects of this game. For the rest, i know the community was disappointed by the ugly building, again the small world and the lie about having to fulfill a quest before getting those special powers. It was another giant disappointing pack i figured.

Discover University - One of the best subjects, but one of the most disappointing packs. it is all the Sims 4 is doing lately. Are they getting our standard even lower to prepare for a Sims 5?? Anyway, i haven't even played with it yet, but it is so much lacking and dumbed down that it doesn't interest me much either.

Tiny Living - Not here yet, but I am not pleased with what i have seen so far. Missing features that would have been great for this particular pack. A meaningless trait and meaning pack that we could easily do without.

What is the worst pack so far?? Hmm, can i say The sims 4 in general? :D
    Otherwise i'd say: Fitness stuff. Totally wasted.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Expansion: City Living, though I do enjoy it, I like all the expansions
    Game Pack: Vampires closely followed by Spa Day
    Stuff Pack: Bowling
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    What is the worst pack so far?? Hmm, can i say The sims 4 in general? :D
    Otherwise i'd say: Fitness stuff. Totally wasted.

Haha, I LOVE Fitness Stuff, one of my most used packs, not because my Sims are athletes or something but because the earbuds that come with it are lifesavers to my sims in almost all saves haha! Being able to get Sims fun up while doing homework or at work, or other activities that usually make them tense has been super helpful in my large families lol.
  • WillskyWillsky Posts: 63 Member
    Overall, the worst game pack is vampires; in my experience. For other players this has been a faviroute :smile: but for me I really don't like it. The world is small and lacking any special features. The vampire system is cool, but it's soo annoying when they come to your house in i.e. Britechester at 1am... Just saying. Worst EP: Get Together (But it came with the BEST WORLD!!) the CAS items were not my style and the build mode was pretty good but the furniture was also not the best. But the club system is very versitile.
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Nothing. o:)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • KruegerKrueger Posts: 130 Member
    drakharis wrote: »
    They kind of fell short with Island living. It's great we have mermaids. However, I would have liked to have abilities for mermaids like singing that have effects on other sims. A flirty song, a sad song, a happy song, an energizing song etc. that would give other non-mermaid sims those buffs. I would have liked to have had an underwater world for the mermaids. I would have liked the beaches added to all worlds.

Seasons broke the game for me where there were too many bugs. When a new pack comes out I play vanilla and slowly add back in my mods. However, instead of it taking a few days, it took a few months.

I like spa day but it was lacking. It was more like a game pack than an expansion pack.

University I guess is the ones I like best followed by City Living.

Unless I'm really misremembering here, spa day *is* a game pack.
  • DustyDusty Posts: 44 Member
    I don't mean this mean or hateful but I do mean what I'm going to say(write). I think all of the DLC for this game is to expensive.IMO
    7B2hMRQ.gif
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Worst Game Pack: 'Outdoor Retreat'
    Worst Expansion Pack: 'City Living'

'Outdoor Retreat' comes off as their "experiment" for game packs (since it was the first one). While I like some of the content it comes with, the overall pack wasn't worth the $20 I paid for. The trailer itself was misleading into making us think there were way more lots in 'Granite Falls' than there actually are as well. Also, the entire camping concept (while interesting) seems incomplete. They had an opportunity to add things like lodges, but completely missed it! Also, their excuse that "bears are too hard" was cringe worthy (which was their reasoning for why we got a bear costume instead).

'City Living' goes along the same lines... it feels unfinished. There were many opportunities that were missed... one of them being giving us the ability to create/build our own apartments! Also, their refusal to give us the elevator for use on other lots was disappointing as well. It would be VERY convenient to use elevators on certain community lots (like in real life). I was originally excited for the music keyboard to be returning... only to find out the only sounds it makes are tones that sound like science fiction soundtracks... keyboards are supposed to have all different kinds of tones... not stuck on these! The festivals are also disappointing... and get boring VERY quickly! Especially when your Sim is already rich and successful... there's nothing at these festivals that you can't do in your own home (when you have the money).

Also, as a bonus... the worst stuff pack (so far) is 'My First Pet'... and it doesn't really need explanation because the name explains itself.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    Island Living and Realm of Magic, because they both should have been better.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I think Vampires is probably the worst for me.

In my opinion, the gameplay surrounding vampires is half-baked in part due to negligence toward detail, in part due to incompatibility with the overall cartoonish feel, and in part due to the heavy nerfing that came post release in order to accommodate the faint of heart.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• safersavioursafersaviour Posts: 507 Member
    For Game Pack, it's Dine Out by some margin. If you want to sell food, do it on a basic retail lot, or in a cafe. Dine Out's restaraunts are so full of bugs, and managing one is a nightmare.

For Expansion, this is harder but I'm gonna have to go with Island Living. I love Sulani, but Island Living feels like a glorified Game Pack. Many of its features (Mermaids, Island Spirits, the tepid lot traits, ocean swimming) are underdeveloped. I understand that it's a more culturally themed back, and so hotels and the like weren't ever going to come, but at least go full force with the cultural aspects. Give me more interesting Island Spirits, make the volcano dangerous, give me Haka.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Island Living and cats and dogs is a close second. I had to go with island living because I think the gameplay was on the level of a stuff pack.

Strangerville was the game pack I did not care for. All of the gameplay revolves around one story that literally has no replay value.

The funniest part of this is I think Sulani and Strangerville are the most prettiest worlds but gameplay is everything for me in the sims 4.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Stutum wrote: »
    I'd say the spa game pack and the island expansion. I don't think they're bad in themselves, but I find them the least interesting ones compared to the others.

imo island living is the best, I couldn't get into the sims 4 at all until that pack came out, it just feels much more open world and way more interesting than the other worlds but I get that not everyones into the same gameplay as me
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    I can honestly say that I like Get Famous the least. I don't use a lot of it. The fame part of the whole thing has been dialed back since it's release so it's become tolerable at least. It used to really interfere with gameplay.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited January 2020
    For me Get Together is easily the worst, there's nothing interesting about it at all, the world is dull and the clubs seemed pretty pointless. I only bought it because everyone says its amazing and I completely regretted it, only thing I use is the pool stuff and the wardrobes. It just seems like they took all the rejects from other packs and said "hey heres a new pack give us $40", most of the stuff in the pack should've been included in City Living or Jungle Adventure. It's like the Sims 4 equivalent of the Sims 3 Showtime.

As for game packs and stuff packs I can't really say as I've never bought any as they all seem a waste of money apart from the occults.

Edit: Also University is high up there aswell for me, just because it seems like something I'd use once and then never use again ,the CAS and world is nice but there's very little replay value
  • SilentVixenYTSilentVixenYT Posts: 17 Member
    I own all the packs and I like all of them, obviously I have my favourites but if i had to say which ones i liked the least, it's probably Island living for expansion packs, i completed the goals and stuff within a few hours of gameplay and then it felt like the pack itself was redundant. And for game packs i'd probably go with dine out, I liked the idea of being able to go for a meal but it just seems a waste of a sim day, especially considering how long it takes to get a table and everything ordered etc.
  • ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    Get To Work is the worst EP for me. I'm just not a fan of active careers.

Outdoor Retreat is the worst GP for me. It's boring and I always forget that it's even there.
  • Gareeth1Gareeth1 Posts: 3 New Member
    I didn't buy Get Famous as I knew it would have zero appeal for me thus it won't make the list.

For Worst Expansion I am a bit torn. I think Island Living should have been a game pack given it adds very little to the game and Sulani is not big enough to attempt to fix some of the things it lacks. I didn't try it out as I got it at a busy time for one of my Sim families so it was a surprise there was no way to take a holiday there.

Accepting it as a day trip that there was no place for my Sims to get their hygiene up was irritating plus every single Sims despite not being a neat Sim was not a fan of public toilets.

Overall for what is there as a game pack and at game pack pricing then it would make sense as it doesn't add enough to be an EP.

I'm only torn because if it had said which EP do you never really use the features of that would be Cats and Dogs. Initially I did and I love animals but thankfully I needed a new computer as if a few of your Sims have pets it seemed like there were way too many strays. Still I did get more initial play from it if only that didn't have downsides I had not anticipated.

Get Together would be a candidate for which EP drives you around the bend. It's not that I mind the events so for sure it is better than Sulani it's the constant invitations as if every Sim I am not playing in such an insomniac they may need it looked into in case the lack of sleep kills them. It should follow usual rules of when is it too late to call a friend. Your Sims doesn't even have an option to set quiet hours for their phone thus training their friends about the 3 am circus tickets and other things.

Still while both Get Together and Cats and Dogs had unwanted side effects of having them Island Living was the one where I contemplated returning it other than I do have all the EPs except Get Famous and I suppose a part of me hopes they will make it more fully fleshed ( I know this is a bit on the delusional side but otherwise I'd be more annoyed about it .

I didn't get the Game Packs listed by a lot of people as worst as like Get Famous I suspected I just would not like them.

I actually like Outdoor Retreat which is at least a GP so however seldom I use it ( I currently have less outdoor Sims than usual) I like the items and skills.

I mostly like Parenthood except it's a bit easy to have your Sims be freakishly perfect. I do think it added a lot but I agree that the phases are an issue. I have a Sim who a few days after aging up to a child had that Bear Costume phase. Although it is supposed to help if a parent or caregiver is also a bear he'll be a teenager in 8 days. He is sad a lot as for whatever reason even if he is in bear form he gets the longs to be in bear form debuff.

I agree with the poster who said the traits should impact the child and teen sims as it's a bit odd that if you are not attending to them your well mannered and responsible children are instantly making a mess. What's worse is if they go to a park with their family to work on something everyone gets a debuff for unpleasant environment because good luck finding a playground with under 20 messes to clean up. A sim with maxed parenting should be able to influence a child sim to stop and to clean up or something.

I don't think I have a candidate for worst Game Pack as I have some issues with how they work but I skipped ones I knew would have no appeal for me . I think Parenthood has room for improvement but on the other hand there is a lot of content for something that was released as as Game Pack.

Maybe they will path the whole apparently every child makes a mess in public spaces. That's more realistic than them saying oops we realized Island Living was half thought out and we are sorry we released it as an EP.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Expansion: Get to Work
    Needs upgrading, doctor and detective careers are pretty useless in normal gameplay. We should be able to go to the doctors when sick and not just for labor. There should be robbers and such and we’d be able to call the police or go to the police station to report a problem. Sixam needs updated too...
    Game Pack: Outdoor Retreat or Vampires
    Not a huge fan of occults in my normal gameplay, just mostly wanted the stuff that came with it. I do appreciate the Vamp system that was introduced.
    Outdoor Retreat is boring and could use a good updating. More activities would be nice.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Expansion Pack: Get to Work
    Game Pack: Probably Realm of Magic? Totally game-breaking, you're basically cheating.
    Stuff Pack: Laundry Day. Worst pack they've made by far. Don't bother getting it.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • TWSimGamer82TWSimGamer82 Posts: 456 Member
    Island Living was kind of disappointing to me, but it's okay. I wanted resorts, but that's okay. The dev team still added some really cool objects to the game with that EP, though. Don't really care about the mermaids, so I'm not even going to comment on that.

Spa Day might be my least favorite GP, but only because I rarely use the spa. Maybe I'll change my mind if I try building one? I love the objects that came with this pack, but game play was kind of blah. Owning and operating a spa would be something I'd love to have in this pack.
    Sim: "I'm starving!"
    Player: *instructs sim to prepare meal* "Then eat something, you little goofball!"
    Sim: *starts cooking meal*
    -5 seconds later-
    Sim: *Stops cooking meal* "I'm so hungry!"
    Player: *head hits desk*