Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lucky's 2 Week Build Challenges

Comments

• AlJayAlJay Posts: 1,655 Member
    Entry Form
    Challenge number: 7 - A Boardwalk
    Origin ID: AlJay2000
    Gallery Name and link : Boardwalk In Sulani
    Notes: My boardwalk inspiration was from when I visited Victoria, Canada 20 years ago. The markets were meant to look like the ones that you see in Mexico and the Caribbean countries.
    Link to the Slideshow: The Sulani Boardwalk
    Building Tips Feedback Wanted? Yes please!! Teach me your ways ;)
    Screenshots
    Street View
    r2Gl9OK.png
    Ocean View
    R9M8QaD.png
    Overhead views
    Xlaoa4t.png
    J1sIJ6v.png
    drOOQKe.png
    arc2QUi.png
    k6lK2VF.png
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    The Sulani Bosrdwalk is a very beautiful venue to visit! @AlJay :) It is so very detailed! There are so many special areas both outdoors and inside! You have designed and furnished it so very well, and your screenshots for each area are lovely! I won’t post about all the areas, but have enjoyed looking at the pictures of all the very special areas that our sims can enjoy visiting and seeing at the boardwalk!
  • LionessInMNLionessInMN Posts: 478 Member
    Challenge number: 7 - Boardwalk
    Origin ID: Nihlia
    Gallery Name: Sapphire Shores Boardwalk
    Gallery Link: Sapphire Shores Boardwalk

Notes: I was trying to capture the feel of the Disney Boardwalk in Orlando Florida, because I am hoping to go there later this year.

Building Tips Feedback Wanted? Sure, always open to new ideas and learning.

Screenshots

CdWoEbn.png

Outside Views
    1vzvVBk.png
    r1hfsJg.png

Boat (Restaurant, Bar, and Dancing)
    CPDIalF.png
    atb5pd9.png
    fbTUiwz.png

Spa (Wellness and Exercise)
    X2hgUpw.png
    ofYPJDs.png
    bMRXJJp.png

Cafe and Retail
    ZIIjZa7.png
    JtYxMLt.png
    Thank you @rosemow :)
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    Sapphire Shores Boardwalk is very lovely! @LionessInMN :) Each area is designed and furnished very beautifully! Very lovely restaurant and bar ship! Very nice exterior design! Sims will enjoy dining, having a drink and dancing to the dj booth music! The spa is lovely place to relax in the tub,do yoga or keep fit using the fitness equipment or go swimming in the pool. Very lovely cafe and gift shop! Very nice black and white colour scheme throughout the build areas :)
  • luckyheatherluckyheather Posts: 19,779 Member

I see lots of stunning builds I have to review and give feedback on this thread so please forgive me for taking a while, I will try to do them all today starting with The Clubhouse then the Boardwalk's amazing creations everyone so I do not want to rush things and enjoy looking round them writing here as I go. As I have the Shell thread too im a busy girl Lol and enjoying your builds!

Shell Thread here if want to look : https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/973065/luckyheathers-shell-challenges/p1?new=1
    edited April 2020
    I am now at you 'Scout's Clubhouse' @PitlordMaggie that suits Granite Falls Holiday destination or on most worlds for everyone to enjoy. It looks family friendly even from the street with its entrance sign by pretty wild flowers and beside the double front doors a horseshoe pit that sims do love to play! Outside so much to see and enjoy using for many ages including a pretty pond with waterfall over rocks and next to it a Telescope that I know will be used by so many people that love watching stars and searching for plants, plus if you are lucky you will get wall art to hang up when you get home. The woodwork bench is a great object for handiness skill and also to create objects you can take home or give as gifts, if you are good at carving you can open a store in your home town!
    A great safe area for little ones is at the back as it is fenced and has plenty of toys for them to have fun with and learn from, its nice its safe by fence. Also so is the 3 BBQ grills that everyone can use for food or even stir up some herbal potions to use out there in the woods where things can scratch or bite you! Three picnic tables are at the ready for you to eat at and have a jug of juice to go with your meal. Then enjoy the froggy water slide it will be such fun or if you prefer using your brain and tactics many ages will use those chess tables. If artistic they can paint the scenes around them plus people doing the different activities including playing guitar and using the firepit to cook on or having fun at the bonfire. If tired its great there are Tents to use by the lovely pine and spruce trees, there the Scouts can learn what the trees are here I hope there is a badge for that!
    Now indoors plenty of toilets plus there is one outside as well, its good to see there is a potty for toddlers! Behind that is a large cosy room for sitting by a warm fire with a book or the scouting manual and music playing so you can have a dance in here and I know lots of ages enjoy that. The Ping Pong table is a great addition for Teen's and adults and upstairs is a computer and a Florists bench for those who have been picking flowers to display them nicely in a vase to take away with them or to gift someone with, plus its a great skill to learn.
    I love the little area at the side with more kid's objects like the activity tables, violin and chemistry set, the visiting children will learn so much here and just inside the doors are the Scouts boards to add their badges too when they earn them here and can admire them proudly!
    Thank you for creating this great Club for Scouts and their family and friends to visit.

Some Feedback and Tips you requested for your 'Scout's Clubhouse' @PitlordMaggie I hope the things I say help in future creations but of course its up to you to use them or not they are just my thoughts :) The first thing I noticed and had a think about was the Pond from Get Famous, I was not certain if you could actually catch fish in it so I tested one with my sim, sorry you can only feed them or swim with them and I know some are dangerous to swim with depending what fish your sim puts in it via the menu it has. So I suggest you use one from Debug in future, plus they can click on it to find frogs :) The telescope was a good idea most sims cant wait to get in there Lol. But I see quite a piece of grass behind it where you could have added a swing set or something else maybe even some tables with frogs and insects on to look at, just an idea. I do love the firepits and now they can stand by them to use them but personally some chairs connected to them would be nice, maybe around one of them. The bonfire I have not seen used but it may not be safe near tents or kids :/ I dont know but I think the 2 fire pits would be enough. Inside I feel needs some more lights there is only 1 ceiling light in that large room, a wall light either side of fireplace would be nice, a tip always turn it to night and check inside and outside, I just did and the build itself needs some wall lights around and in or by the plants of the front entrance. I love the little upstairs room very good idea, I would put a good ceiling light up there too and a unbreakable computer the 'Ghostwriter Disappearing Desktop' as I often use it where so many will want to get on it ;) Oh and before I go a reminder to use the Build Traits they can be so useful on community lots and homes.
    Its a great place you created thank you so much and for wanting to hear what I think :)
  • PitlordMaggiePitlordMaggie Posts: 390 Member
    edited April 2020
    Thank you @luckyheather ! I'm thinking maybe I should take it down and re-upload with some changes? I really thought that pond would work for fishing. Perhaps there is space for two ponds? I ponder :wink: I like the idea about the frogs. I might place some indoor for learning about different types of frogs.

About the fire pits: It's on purpose that I left the seating groups on a distance. My saves always end in disaster if I group seats next to those... I'm afraid of fire, and for some reason my game likes to show it to me in various ways :s Perhaps my computer is evil! I see your point about the bonfire, probably not good for kids! I'm thinking now maybe a portable cooler, a basket with blankets for cool nights, maybe a picnic set, more lanterns lol.

I didn't know about the unbreakable computer. Good idea. Also good point about the lights. I second guessed myself a bit about the amount of light I used. I guess- when in doubt add more light :D And I keep forgetting lot traits.

There is a couple things I've noticed in hindsight. The picture above the fireplace could hang a little lower, perhaps just a tad. And I could have done more with eaves I think I went a bit safe route there. But perhaps it's not a big deal, and I'm nitpicking myself.

On a somewhat related note:
    In my build save I used the Goth kids for scouts to get inspiration for activities in my build. Yeah, its a reference :)
    Well, the other day on my play save, I saw Alexander Goth was wearing a scout uniform as a teen. And I don't play them on that save! :o

@PitlordMaggie its great I helped you with some ideas and its up to you if you want to do different things to the clubhouse, if you do I can remove my review and feedback and we can use the same comment boxes again :);) I could review again but after I have done the boardwalk ones I still have to do above me. I take a while as I type with one finger Lol. I will see what you decide.
  • PitlordMaggiePitlordMaggie Posts: 390 Member
    @luckyheather no, I like it to stay. Next project I continue what works and improve what doesn't. I kind of see this as a back and forth, like a conversation between two creative individuals. And there's little flaws in what I build, like cracks, but from within it something beautiful can grow... like a flower through the concrete :smile:
    ok, I've been hanging out in the writer's section too long now, and I'm getting wordy lol.

Hi all I just want to say I feel my reviews are sooo long and I shout make them a bit shorter as the writing comments are taking over from people admiring your builds :) I will still do Feedback too of course as its great to help each other. The reviews are mainly read by those who entered a build and they know what is there already, not easy to make it shorter but I will try Lol. Plus I am trying to sort and pack a whole house and play now and then and I watch Twitch too so very busy right now, also I want to learn how to do Twitch myself.... not enough hours in a day even though I dont sleep that long. Well off now to look at boardwalks :)
    edited April 2020
    I am now looking at 'Freezer Bunny Boardwalk' @icanhassims and the entrance looks very inviting and shows there is fun to be had for all the family here with the Rainbow and Critters on clouds. Inside to the left is a large and well set out Restaurant with tables for couples and family groups too. Clever adding an office with tills to take in and count the cash flow. Also on that side is a water slide room that will be such fun! and above an outdoor Coffee Cafe or above the restaurant a lovely Gift shop with toys and lots of items to purchase and bubble machines to try before you buy or just for great fun. To the right when you enter the Boardwalk there are plenty of toilets in pretty pastels, then beside that a great looking Photo Studio where you can get your family or friends to pose with you. Then there is an Ice cream parlor a must for those hot days, I would so be in there! Then I would go into the Arcade next door for hours of fun gaming on the arcades or with a friends on the fooseball tables or even try ping pong. Above Toddlers can have great fun in the Twisty Toddler Tunnels while parents sit and watch.
    Outside there are lots of Brolly covered tables and a help yourself Bar and a row of Festival stall's where you purchase so many different items to wear and take home. I do love the central bowling alley's over the water it looks so good! Also the old Carousel that gives the place that typical Boardwalk atmosphere.
    Thank you so much for your entry it looks a lot of fun for our sims.

A Little Feedback and Tips
    Firstly I want to say It looks such a good place to go and I would only add a few things. I just noticed there are no Host station inside only outside in all weathers I would put inside too and the 2 restaurant Waiter stations they are facing the wall I would move them away from the wall so they do not have to stare at the wall while standing there. Just a thought. Outside I would add a couple of BBQ and maybe 1 more bar as the 1 might get busy also a few bins around the place and I think at least 1 of the Festival vendors could be a food one to get good use out of all the tables. Oh and something I try to add at each community lot is a shower in the bathroom as a dirty sim might miss the fun by going home early. Well I hope those ideas help as its a great area and you do not have to do any suggestion I make. Thanks for joining the challenges I appreciate your hard work.
    edited April 2020
    I am now looking at your 'Boardwalk in Sulani' @AlJay and its a beautiful Boardwalk with so much to see and do, where do I begin! I do like how you have a little kids play area on the beach and I love the different levels to walk up onto the main boardwalk where the row of buildings look pretty as each is different. Starting with the Cafe its so lovely and bright inside with pink and white with some blue and all your great Art all around. Its nice to see the Cupcake factory in the back room for anyone to use and white benches and brolly tables out the back to match the Cafe. Such a pretty Florist shop with those beautiful windows and door plus inside so many gorgeous gifts to purchase. The one way mirror by the florist workbench is a brilliant idea, to keep an eye on the shop while using the workbench. Next door is a great bookstore in a traditional style so relaxing to walk around.
    Outside the market stall are amazing so full of goodies to look at and buy to take home or give as gifts, so much work went into that market I love it! Real Wow factor! The artist corner is perfect and maybe they will paint your portrait for a price. That Fish Mural is just right there and next to a busker that will get lots of tips from passers by... oh they already have : ) I Love the Captain Statue he really was a great addition! clever idea. At the end there is band instruments and tables to seat people from the Restaurant inside under the lattice awning. Its such a welcoming restaurant with a Naval theme to it and above a great Lounge with a Bar and Karaoke plus bathrooms and the outside is great wood to match the Boardwalk. All those Yacht's look like all the wealthy are there in Sulani!
    Thank you for creating such a gorgeous Boardwalk for this challenge.

Some Screenshots I took
    Love the Market
    GOPjVCB.png
    Such a great Artist Corner
    iu4ccHb.png
    Busker with change by the Captain!
    AgkM9KS.png

Some Feedback and Tips/ideas
    To start your community lot is wonderful and my little ideas you can take or leave as you decide. On the beach I love the play area, I would have added a toy box or a large cuddly toy for little ones. On the 1st level you walk up it could have a couple of benches facing the beach. In the restaurant the Waiter station is facing the wall I think it would not be nice for them to look at the wall but thats just me. One thing I usually include is a shower so sims dont go home just for that reason im not sure if the public bathroom gives a shower. The stall and shops are amazing but I feel the actual boardwalk needs a couple of things on it for sims to enjoy such as fooseball or Llama table for example. I love all the Yacht's but I would have left say 2 off so people can moor their boats there as there is ladders/docking points there already. I really wish we had normal sized telescopes to put out there! Well thats my thoughts I hope some are of use to you, thanks again for your Boardwalk.
    Post edited by luckyheather on
    Thank you @luckyheather for all your wonderful words. I've never thought about the waiter station! I'll have to take note for my next restaurant :) Enjoy your packing and good luck with twitch. My kids think I should do that as well, or start a YouTube channel. Too much like work for me though, I just love to build.

Thanks @AlJay I am glad my words are of some help :) Btw I tried to delete your build to put the next one there well my comp liked it there and froze Lol so I came out but left it for now Lol. Yes streaming is so complicated for pc users if my daughter was still at home it would be easy as she knows how but the lock down keeps her away.
  • icanhassimsicanhassims Posts: 790 Member
    Thank you for the lovely review, @luckyheather and please don't worry about the length. Even just a smile review works for me Haha! I really appreciate the feedback though! You made some excellent points that I'll have to try and remember in future builds. <3
    Get 25% off with the code: SIMS4FORUMS My Sims 4 Portfolio
    edited April 2020
    I am now looking at your 'Sapphire Shores Boardwalk' @Nihlia and right away the bold black and white with pops of colours from the Sulani plants makes the wonderful community lot stand out. The central clock with plants make a great entry to go in the different directions of interest for people. To the left is a gorgeous Coffee shop that is better than a Cafe! As it is also a Shop with an elegant feel with the monotones both inside and outside where you can enjoy food and drinks in the sun or upstairs in comfort and there is a mini kitchen area and other objects to purchase. You can sit on the balcony if you prefer to have great views.
    To the right of the central clock is a beautiful modern Spa with its own outdoors Bar and seating, go inside and check yourself in for a pampering by having a Sauna, mud bath or upstairs a Massage on one of the tables or get a foot massage. If you are the active type you can have a workout here or even a swim in the indoor pool that looks so inviting with its waterfall. If you prefer to be alone there is a balcony for quiet meditation on the stool provided.
    Then onto the Boardwalk itself where right in front of you is a beautiful Steamboat that matches in with the entire area with the black and white that suits it so well. Inside the door you will find a decent sized restaurant that follows the black/white theme but has lovely pops of blue from curtains, rugs, lights and pretty floral arrangements. Service will be good too as there are two Chef stations and there is a table for four out on the deck. When you go upstairs there is a large Bar and great decorations including the clever faux fish tank, love that idea. Through arches you find the bathrooms and a quality DJ Booth and dance floor perfect for daytime and nights on the Ocean. Upstairs again onto the upper deck we find what seems to be, the Captain's office with computer on the desk and important papers plus the world Globe and Ship's Wheel.
    Back to the Boardwalk to go along past heating lamps to keep us warm on cooler days, seats, bins and some stalls where we can purchase local Island items and different local foods to try out, plus there is a festival stall as well, I wonder what interesting things we can get there to take home from our Holiday in Sulani or if you are lucky enough to live here, we can take them home for gifts or for ourselves to enjoy. Then if we need to relax at the end of the boardwalk are loungers and if we have watercraft we have arrived on we can use the ladder down to the water to swim to them or just to go for a swim.
    This is a beautiful Boardwalk thank you so much for creating it for the Challenge and sharing it with us here in the Forum.

A bit of Feedback as you are like all of us trying to improve and learn new Tip and tricks.
    When I saw this build I was Wow thats amazing! I love that Steamboat and how you managed to do it mainly in Black and White. So here are my thoughts that you can take in or ignore its only my thoughts. I love the Spa and Coffee Shop with shop I feel I would not change/add anything. Outside I picked up the beach towels (without moo on) and I think they may have been too close together to use or possibly the awnings legs may have been in the way as I could not lay them down again. The floating loungers I picked them up too and they need to be on deeper water it seems so I dont thing they can be used on the shallows. The Boardwalk is so wonderful and wide I would have added games along it such as Ping Pong table, Foosball, card table or Wake the Llama table plus some things for children to play with. A couple of Easels would be good too for the artist types, I have many Lol. Its so large you could have put the Telescope where the loungers are, just an idea. I would have also added a couple of tables or picnic tables near the food booth so they dont stand or sit on the bench to eat. The other area I would have added some fun was on the top deck of the Boat it could have been a dance floor up there too or some games of some kind, it just seemed a bit empty and I tend to think what our sims like to do. Well I hope that helps you in future in some way. I love the whole build and thanks again I do hope you get tempted by my theme again in future.
    Post edited by luckyheather on
    edited April 2020
    Im running out of time to do my own.....getting thinking cap on Lol how can I do a good one with those amazing Boardwalks before mine!? I had the idea weeks ago and now I have to think up a theme at least I know Sulani is the best place to build one, thats a start :) I am still trying to get my Twitch working so thats my plan today with my daughters help over the phone but that is difficult. I will let you know when streaming works! Oh on Twitch I am luckyheathersim if you want to follow me.
  • LionessInMNLionessInMN Posts: 478 Member
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for the tips @luckyheather! It never occurred to me to add games and art easels to the boardwalk but you definitely have a point! I can see adding more activities there for sure.

The top of the boat was a tough one for me. My original concept was the captain would only go up there because it was restricted but I backed off that idea and added flowers and benches because we literally can't stop Sims from going up. I should have gone further once I realized that.

I am glad to be of any help @LionessInMN :) what I try to do is think of things sims will use to get them interested in using every area of a build especially community lots with different levels. I Love your Boardwalk its so creative and beautifully done, thanks again for your hard work and for joining my challenges. :)
  • coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,100 Member
    Hi Everyone -- my other shoulder hurts now, and so does the first, my back and neck.
    So I can’t build or play Sims at all now. I will let you know when I can.

I just wanted to let any of my friends who may not have known yet.

Great builds, everyone! :)
    4kkjdXo.png

• coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,100 Member
    Thank you very much @luckyheather for the nice message!

Thanks so much for the gentle hugs! <3

4kkjdXo.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top