This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

Tiny Home Contest Question

So, after reading the Contest rules a dozen times now, I'm confused as to why people are harping on 100 tiles, as it is nowhere in the contest rules. Is that one of the conditions for the contest?

Comments

• Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,149 Member
    Hi, could you provide a link to the contest, please? I can't find it. :(
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    Thank you :)
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,900 Member
    "tiny, functional home (a Sim must be able to fulfill all needs within the lot) for a single Sim household on a 20x15 lot with #TheSims4Contest and #TinyLivingContest in the Description text box"

Nothing there about 100 tiles. Don't know where people are "harping" on it, but its certainly not in the rules, unless I missed something in all the legal mumbojumbo
  • Options
    TaoronTaoron Posts: 2,031 Member
    edited January 2020
    Kathykins wrote: »
    "tiny, functional home (a Sim must be able to fulfill all needs within the lot) for a single Sim household on a 20x15 lot with #TheSims4Contest and #TinyLivingContest in the Description text box"

Nothing there about 100 tiles. Don't know where people are "harping" on it, but its certainly not in the rules, unless I missed something in all the legal mumbojumbo

I had a couple of people tell me my home was too big, even though it's on a 20x15 and on some of the Facebook Groups, some Forums and even in the Gallery, people are on about 100 tiles. I think the Intro Video for the Pack has something about it, but, like you also said, it's not in the Contest rules.
  • Options
    I only visit these forums, no FB groups/Twitter/whathaveyou ... I also don't have access to the in game gallery right now (only have wireless connection atm, since I moved, and my PC doesn't DO wireless.) I'm probably very out of the loop, mostly due to the aformentioned moving. Not had time to get caught up much.

Yeah, the 100 tile limit is for the new lot trait coming in Tiny Living SP. Don't know why people would think its a requirement for the contest, when there is no mention of a limit at all, except the lot size of 20x15.
  • Options
    xMarianxxMarianx Posts: 74 Member
    I have a different question about the contest. Does it matter how many floors the house has, as long as it’s functional and on a 20x15 lot? I can’t find anything about it in the contest rules.
  • Options
    As far as I could see, the only requirements were that the house is built on a 20x15 lot, and is a fully functional tiny house, which is able to fulfill all the needs of a single sim. It shouldn't matter if the house has 2 or 3 floors, as long as the "footprint" would be considered "tiny", I guess. I can't enter the contest myself currently, so haven't really read much "in depth" about it :)
  • Options
    xMarianxxMarianx Posts: 74 Member
    Thank you :smile:
  • Options
    I was going to enter but issues with the mandatory Origin update is forcing me to stay offline so I didn't get further than making an outer shell.
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    I haven't seen any response from a simguru on another thread regarding quebec's laws, i had a question in there that seems to of gone on ignored? Guess i'm not gonna get into this event *shrugs*

I have a perfect tiny house that works. Only needs a small adjustment and i can put it out there. Unless a simguru answers that question i put out there, otherwise i'm just gonna sit here and wave goodbye to it.

A tiny house can easily be done under 10x10 without issue, you just need to organise it correctly and make most use of the space provided.
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,702 Member
    I build a teensy 3 by 5 tiles tinyhouse in October 2015 that I loaded in my game and playtested then re uploaded for the challenge. I did it for the tinyhouse thread we used to have.
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,946 Member
    The 100 tiles limit is not in the contest but in the requirements for a tiny house in the stuff pack.

I'm getting the 100 tiles from the annoucement thread for the stuff pack. The first paragraph is this below.

Small Houses, Big Dreams

Challenge yourself to build in a greatly reduced footprint of 100 tiles with a Tiny Home Residential Lot to receive special bonuses for your Sims. In addition to friendlier bills, smaller spaces are good for encouraging relationships to bloom, and you’ll have plenty of leftover yard space for a garden. Compete with your friends to build a cuter, smaller home for the ultimate bragging rights.

It's from the first page of this thread.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/970974/dream-big-build-small-with-the-sims-4-tiny-living/p1

• Options
    The_MercuriaThe_Mercuria Posts: 163 Member
    Can we use bb.moveobjects cheat or must we be constrained to the objects' locked footprint?
  • Options
    Can we use bb.moveobjects cheat or must we be constrained to the objects' locked footprint?

For the contest you could have used the move objects cheat and items created by you. I think the contest ends on the 13th of January, that being the last day to submit an entry.
  • Options
    I didn't think we could have any user made items including our own. I thought it was only supposed to be existing game items.

Being able to use move objects will help a great deal!
  • Options
    After re-reading the rules, they seemed pretty vague. So I really don't know what to do.
  • Options
    I didn't think we could have any user made items including our own. I thought it was only supposed to be existing game items.

Being able to use move objects will help a great deal!

Being that copywritten content is not allowed, and most player created paintings would fall under that, unless they were legally obtained, Royalty Free stock inages. At least that's my interpretation. I just didn't bother with anything that was not in game, for art, for this build. To be safe.
  • Options
    After re-reading the rules, they seemed pretty vague. So I really don't know what to do.

Yeah, the rules were not very clear. I was able to make a duplex using the 100 tiles limit on a 20 X 15 lot, but I didn't submit it because I was unsure if it was within the rules for the contest. I only use the money cheats, no moo or cc in any of my builds.
  • Options

Yeah, the rules were not very clear. I was able to make a duplex using the 100 tiles limit on a 20 X 15 lot, but I didn't submit it because I was unsure if it was within the rules for the contest. I only use the money cheats, no moo or cc in any of my builds.

That hundred time limit isn't a contest rule. It's actually a challenge for the tiny house DLC.
    For this challenge you're not constrained on the footprint. It's just up to you to figure out what you find tiny enough.

Which I'm having trouble with, at the zero hour LOL
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,378 Member
    I interpreted the rules as having no footprint (but as small as your concept allows) but no CC, and it only had to house a single sim with all the necessities (fun, food, bed, bladder, hygiene, and either a place to socialize or a computer to chat.)

Of course, I don't actually expect to win either, so if I'm off on the rules, no harm, no foul. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2020

That hundred time limit isn't a contest rule. It's actually a challenge for the tiny house DLC.
    For this challenge you're not constrained on the footprint. It's just up to you to figure out what you find tiny enough.

Which I'm having trouble with, at the zero hour LOL

I had trouble being sure about the single sim since a duplex can house a 2 different sim household.

Eta,
    I'm going to change some of the furniture when the stuff pack releases, move it to the volcano island, and try out the roommate stuff in the game. It should have the 100 tile limit but I might have to redo the roof because I use the small fence so I can see the roof in the game when I'm playing. I'll have to remove the roof and rebuild it after taking away the small fence underneath it.
  • Options

Money cheats mean nothing when building. You don't need to use money, if you are just in build mode and not placing a Sim on the lot. Just go to a lot and build.
  • Options
    Taoron wrote: »

Money cheats mean nothing when building. You don't need to use money, if you are just in build mode and not placing a Sim on the lot. Just go to a lot and build.

I'm learning to build like that and I can use the locked content if I remember to. My only problem is when I go to test the lot, I realize I should have used 2 locked chairs or something like that.
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Well, I got my 100-Tile Tiny Starter home (fully furnished, fully playtested, landscaped, lots of extras and under 20K) submitted on the Gallery, not a minute too soon! Whether it has a chance or not, I really am happy with it and am just glad to have it to play with in future.

It's not fancy, but I managed to include, for the money, a nanocan, smart speaker upstairs and wall speaker under the basement stairs, flat-panel TV and console game system, a fireplace in the bedroom (basement level), some art on the walls, some plants, a fish bowl, and raised beds out back. Also used a minifridge for the kitchen because it's just cool and goes well with the small-footprint lifestyle.

Now I just wish those futons were actually functional so the basement bedroom with fireplace and bath, could double as a separate living room. I think that might be better than a Murphy bed: Murphy beds hog wallspace, whereas a futon is a sofa by day, a bed by night, and good quality ones are plenty comfortable. Murphy beds come with an airing issue as well as they can fall on you (but no need to put that into the game...it's too much reality!).

But hooray for an easier life with less actual house, smaller appliances, and more time and money to go, do, and be.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg