Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Off the Grid radio?

Hey, so, I've tried googling the answer to this and saw someone say "portable radio" but I don't have this in my game and I have all of the packs. I'm setting up for an apocalypse challenge but I wanted a scene where she hears about the news on the radio, but I don't think any of them work while off the grid. Any ideas here?
ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ Life's Greatest Adventure, The Morgan Legacy ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ
ntlW6ly.png

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I had no idea radios don’t work off the grid.

Weird. Batteries exist lol
  • AnnoyingTigerAnnoyingTiger Posts: 509 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Right? That's what I was thinking, too. Then again, the last I heard the wash bucket for laundry doesn't work either since you have to refill it with water. I don't know what EA is thinking half the time lol
    ntlW6ly.png
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I just had a look through too, none of them work off the grid as far as I'm aware but I seem to recall that earbuds do. I haven't tried having any sims live off the grid for a while because too many things that should work off the grid didn't and it was too much hassle. But I seem to recall that the earbuds did, which is more ridiculous than the kaboom box not working with batteries. :D
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member

Right? That's what I was thinking, too. Then again, the last I heard the wash bucket for laundry doesn't work either since you have to refill it with water. I don't know what EA is thinking half the time lol

Yea you couldn’t refill the laundry wash tub at first but that was fixed in a patch.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    Hey, so, I've tried googling the answer to this and saw someone say "portable radio" but I don't have this in my game and I have all of the packs. I'm setting up for an apocalypse challenge but I wanted a scene where she hears about the news on the radio, but I don't think any of them work while off the grid. Any ideas here?

One of the base game radio's is actually portable : the kaboom radio. It would make sense if a portable radio would work off grid but I don't think it does.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    One of the base game radio's is actually portable : the kaboom radio. It would make sense if a portable radio would work off grid but I don't think it does.

I will have to test that now. Hmm
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

edited January 2020
    No. Doesn't work. I'm not surprised, really. The 'Slablet' works, but no connection to the internet. Just for playing games, reading eBook and viewing notebook.

There are quite a few things that work 'off-the-grid'. Take a look in build mode. ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

Admiral8Q wrote: »
    No. Doesn't work. I'm not surprised, really. The 'Slablet' works, but no connection to the internet. Just for playing games, reading eBook and viewing notebook.

There are quite a few things that work 'off-the-grid'. Take a look in build mode. ;)

About that. People keep saying the catalogue says what works off the grid and what doesn't, but when I hover over something, there's no indication. I've hovered over both working and non-working items for off the grid. Am I doing something wrong?
    ntlW6ly.png
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    The headphones might work off the grid...
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    About that. People keep saying the catalogue says what works off the grid and what doesn't, but when I hover over something, there's no indication. I've hovered over both working and non-working items for off the grid. Am I doing something wrong?

Do you mean after you've built it? Because in build mode it says if it works off-the-grid. It won't say if it works on the grid, since that's default. In "Island Living" there are alot of things that work off-the-grid, which makes me actually want to try building a household using only off-grid items in Sulani.

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »

There's a note at the bottom of the description of the item in the buy catalogue: 'works off the grid'. However, a number of items that do work off the grid aren't noted. (I think they fixed most of these in a patch, but there are still a few things that aren't marked.)

I don't think there is any radio that works off the grid - I wanted to do a musician off the grid, and she would have had to travel elsewhere to fulfill the 'listen to music for 2 hours' aspiration goal. I wish they'd give us some items that do work - aside from batteries, there are radios that work off a crank or solar.
    I just want things to match. :'(
    edited January 2020
    @invisiblgirl I think there should be an old-fashion wind-up phonograph/gramophone. That would be cool for off-the-grid music.
    ( A more modern wind-to-charge and/or solar powered radio would work too, of course)
    PFfALun.png
    However, I wonder if listening to someone else play the violin, guitar, or piano for 2 hours would work for that aspiration goal off-the-grid?
    Hmm...

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,547 Member

Yeah the washbucket threw me for a loop, too. Back in the 18th century my family had to lug buckets of water taken from the nearby creek or river, allow it to set for a certain amount of time (mostly overnight) to let the stuff settle and then boil it before putting the homemade lye soap into it. Suffice it to say laundry was a full day affair! They also had irons, that surprised me. Box irons, where hot coals were placed into the box and from there you ironed the clothes. Yikes.

So, why can't our Sims refill their buckets, again? face/palm.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    edited January 2020
    Yes the earbuds work off the grid. But keep it quiet so they don't "fix it" in a patch.
    JACKIEJOY wrote: »
    Yes the earbuds work off the grid. But keep it quiet so they don't "fix it" in a patch.

So does the 'cell-phone', mobile-phone' (whatever you wanna call it). lol
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

@Sigzy05 I forgot about the headphones, I'll have to try that.

@Admiral8Q In build mode, I hovered over an item that DOES work off the grid but it said nothing in the description about it.

@invisiblgirl Maybe I was just unlucky and hovered over items that aren't noted, then. And yeah, I can't find any cc for it, either!

@GalacticGal Hmm, I never thoughts about how they did it back then... that's really interesting to think about. I never would have guessed they had irons, that's crazy.

@JACKIEJOY I think as long as CallMe Kevin doesn't mention it, we should be good xD every time he features something in his videos it gets patched lol
    ntlW6ly.png
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    JACKIEJOY wrote: »

I thought I'd tried the earbuds, and they didn't work for my Sim (because they were 'off the grid'). But, I used the BB cheat to get them - maybe if they accepted them when offered, they would work.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    You can accept the free ones or take a laptop to a lot with power and order them. I usually turn them on as soon as I buy them at the library or park. But you have to own the computer or you cannot order them.
    "Island Living" has quite a few off-grid items. I actually bought the "Outdoor Living" pack to compliment that since it has many off-grid items also. :)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png