Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dream Big, Build Small with The Sims 4 Tiny Living

Comments

• IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    We have Murphy beds in the UK, but we just call them wall beds or something like that. Didn't hear about Murphy before The Sims :)
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    We have Murphy beds in the UK, but we just call them wall beds or something like that. Didn't hear about Murphy before The Sims :)

Really? I lived in the UK for 7 years and never saw one :D
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    @musteni wrote: »
    davina1221 wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I am mostly confused

tiny living? yas
    murphy bed? yas
    that 1 tile desk? yas

everything else? what does this have to do with tiny living? those objects literally save no space?

at least give us some space saving kitchen appliances darn it or loft beds or something come on

I also saw the eating table for one, which we may already have a small one. IDK, I usually buy larger tables. Also, when they show the kitchen toward the end, there is a sink to the right in an unshown bathroom; can't tell if that's new.

I am happy with the theme. I like the new lot challenge even though I despise leveling up. I am not a builder, but I just about always change or redo houses my Sims live in. But, somehow, I really like the idea of it. It's limiting though, because of the kitchen and kid's rooms; no bunk beds. I wish we could've at least gotten one more real space saver. I guess, the bunk beds. For family players, it's space consuming to have to place a bunch of beds.

We have a one tile table already, but in this pack there seems to be a higher table that fits with a bar stool. Doesn't save space but it's new, at least sort of.

It's not new. The high table was introduced with Dine Out. There's one that's 1 tile and one that's 2 tiles. The same tables have a version that is the same height as a normal dining table. DU did another version of the 1 tile high table and this is another one. I quite like this asset, you see them in a lot of Cafés and what not.

Whaaat? I can't believe I have completely missed a high table. I have had Dine Out for ages. DU I just got so that one I would understand.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,543 Member
    I don't see how the murphy bed saves much space to be honest, also who has a murphy's bed? Is that something normal in the US because I think I have seen like one in my whole life. Apparently it was a very requested item, this also confuses me.
    A Tiny Living pack should come with ladders first of all, that is to me a no brainer, plus we have already the animation (kind of) from the IL ones. (Maybe they come with the patch before the SP is released). Then, together with the ladder, we should have gotten actual space saving items like a trash compactor (so we don't need to use up space for a bin), a normal size telescope, a tiny fireplace, a stove with only 2 plates instead of 4, bunk beds (I would love to know why it is so difficult for them to make them work, like I am genuinely curious), a small dollhouse, and the list could go on. I know an SP wouldn't include all of those but you get the point.

Then there is the aspect of the relationship bonus in tiny house lots, it should be the opposite. Living in a confine space usually puts a strain on relationships, it does not make them better. And that drama would have been a lot more fun to play with than just more happiness and easy gameplay. I don't see the point of the relationship boost, sims are already extremely social and happy, and autonomously kiss ad flirt with their SO all the time. So what will change exactly? Is not like it's hard to have a happy couple in TS4.

Speaking of this new lot type, most of the lots we have in the existing worlds are too big for a tiny house which means, like in the trailer, you'll have to do a lot of landscaping around the tiny house for it not to look silly.
    Now that would have been much better!

I guess they were trying to think of incentives for building a tiny home, with rewards, not realising that it would actually have rewarded us if we could have something other than happy happy happy.
  • mariisseethingmariisseething Posts: 1 New Member
    I don't really understand the relationship bonus on tiny houses. If anything, I'd expect relationships to falter. I wouldn't love someone more if we only had 100 sqft to live with. I'd go crazy.
  • RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    I'm not surprised by the choice of tiny house as a pack theme. There are two main driving forces behind the the tiny house movement, only one of which is directly in the trailer. One of the biggest things behind (real life) people wanting a tiny home is just to be able to have affordable housing at all. The cost of living in California is horrifically high (my in-laws live there, we hear this from them all the time and it's all over the news) and a tiny house helps make it make it more affordable to live there (as well as other high cost areas). The other main driver behind the tiny house movement is not directly addressed in the trailer but is part of the 100 tile limitation. Eco friendliness is also part of the tiny house movement. The goal is to build a home that impacts the environment as little as possible, reducing carbon foot print. That's why the 100 tile only house on any lot. Often coming with this is off grid living with things like composting toilets.

I like the pack theme, smaller/combo stuff (in general) is something that many players have been asking for for a while and limited living space offers interesting game play challenges, but I'm not quite so thrilled with how they went about this. First, they have hit one of my big peeves with stuff packs in general - CAS items tossed into a pack where they make no sense. I don't dislike what I have seen of the CAS assets, but they have nothing to do with tiny living. I think we miss out on a lot by the current formula of build/buy items, clothes and PC. Some times the formula works, like with the toddler pack, the kids room stuff or Vintage Glamor, but for other packs, however it often feels like a theme is unfinished and stretched too thin. CAS assets suffer the most, with the lions share of clothing items going to T/YA/A/E size and most that aimed at YA females than males and younger ages getting almost nothing. This new pack looks to be like that from the trailer. I would rather have seen all build/buy and game play than clothes that have nothing to do with tiny living. (And I would lovelovelove to see a fully developed CAS only pack that treats all ages and genders equally)

My other issue with this is that this is a stuff pack. Personally, would have liked to have seen this in a game pack rolled with the environmentalist career from Island living and with more eco friendly assets like solar panels, etc. Island Living (as far as I am concerned) suffers the some of the same issues as the above stuff packs. It's focus is to broad and it feels stretched thin, each area not developed enough and making it fell lacking. Also, as a game pack they might have had the resources to add some of the things people were expecting from tiny living (bunk/loft beds, spiral stairs, pull out bed).
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I just hope they add a more upscale Murphy bed option. Idk about y’all, but my Sims live in luxury. The tiny house I build would have to be ballin lol

haha! I haven't heard people say that in forever! :D

Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I don't really understand the relationship bonus on tiny houses. If anything, I'd expect relationships to falter. I wouldn't love someone more if we only had 100 sqft to live with. I'd go crazy.
    ugh me too!

Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • krysteenbbykrysteenbby Posts: 1 New Member
    Will this pack be available for Sims 4 legacy users ??????
  • Staralien7Staralien7 Posts: 34 Member
    I am actually excited for this pack. I love the Murphy bed and the idea that we can have a bookcase, TV, and stereo all in one. I hope there will be neutral, realistic wood tones and nice fabric colors. I know we can already build tiny homes, but a 100 tile limit is a nice challenge. I just built a house with a 100 tile limit and it isn't really that small. I was able to have a nice open living space with a full bathroom with laundry and fit two bedrooms and a full bath upstairs. One bedroom has two twin beds. I wish they would include more landscaping plants and items and more veggies for the garden. In fact the perfect stuff pack for me would be one with a ton of new plants and garden stuff for landscaping.
  • RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    The close relationship thing pops up a lot in the house hunting shows. I'm always horrified by especially when I see families with kids do it. I can say that had this been my family, either my parents, sisters and I or my husband, daughter and I, none of us would still like each other very much at all any more at all. As it is most of us have a limit to how much time we spend with each other before needing a break (and saying things we shouldn't) Also, my (adult) daughter recently moved out and I am happier than I have words to express - we tend to get on each others nerves (same and different in all the wrong ways) and I don't know how much more of her constant company I could take (and she was more than ready for her own home and being able to do things in her own time and way).
  • SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    Some of the hair looks cute. I hope this doesn't mean that new worlds will come with more small lots though. We hardly ever get any large lots anymore.
  • secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member

No - we don't get any more packs (if you are a mac user you can probably install a windows partition to continue - but eew windows 7)
  • cutefrutypiecutefrutypie Posts: 39 Member
    Popular opinion coming:

Im soo broke lmao, I cried when EA gave The Sims 4 :(
  • LoftyyLoftyy Posts: 101 Member
    I have many tiny houses in my game already. I'm excited for this!
  • abelhinha35abelhinha35 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Also call me crazy....but, I worry that they put in that "knitting" ref. in this, which just kinda confirms my suspensions that the poll was rigged and knitting was gonna win regardless -shrug- I can't help but feel that way.

The timing don't make sense, did they work on this pack for little over a month? Since the results are not that old?

Totally agree with you
  • abelhinha35abelhinha35 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    The murphy bed doesn't seem to save that much space - maybe a little as it's a sofa too (I think?). It would have made a lot more sense to include bunk beds or a pull out sofa - or any kinda of furniture combo really. The murphy bed is nice, but it doesn't really fit the theme. I feel like the 'stuff pack' size is a waste of DLC for this game. We need so much in the game that stuff pack themes always feel empty. I think the tiny scope for stuff packs are ruining the themes and they're ultimately a bad idea IMO.

Totally agree here too
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,543 Member
    @Repo that's exactly what I thought, and I mentioned elsewhere about the cas items. Clothing makes no sense whatsoever in a pack about tiny living.

It is very disappointing that they have to stick to the same formula for every single pack regardless of its theme.

If they had ditched the clothing we could have had ladders and some more combo items, maybe for the kitchen since they seem to have forgotten those.
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »

Really? I lived in the UK for 7 years and never saw one :D

Yeah, for example https://www.wallbeds.co.uk/ . I don't know anyone personally with one, I don't think they are very popular compared to sofa beds, but my friend's son was working for a wall bed company for a while.
  • Angella_RosettaAngella_Rosetta Posts: 185 Member
    I must admit I've never seen anyone with a Murphy Bed. I am excited for this pack though.
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member

No - we don't get any more packs (if you are a mac user you can probably install a windows partition to continue - but eew windows 7)

That's actually really lame. So legacy users only get everything that's been released so far but nothing more?
  • janwearsbracesjanwearsbraces Posts: 53 Member
    As others have said, it can't really be a tiny house without ladders or spiral staircases (unless, of course, you're sticking to a single story home). The regular staircases take up a lot of space and, while I like having the ability to configure them, the "new" stairs have an even bigger footprint! :s Having true walk-out basements (with windows) and attic rooms would save a lot of space, too. I know there are work-arounds for these, but having the real thing would be great. But, maybe they'll give us bunk beds and ladders in a patch?
    Spiral staircases please!
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,965 Member
    I hate to state the obvious but if better relationships leads to more numerous nooboos where are we going to put them all in 100 squares? They will need to play outside more by this will be interesting
  • shakerellashakerella Posts: 321 Member
    I am super excited for this pack! I am so glad the bookshelf/stereo/tv are all in one now! Major space saver! Tiny homes are my favorite to build and live in.
    My Current Challenge: Drifter House Challenge
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    This is a pack I am finally exited about and after the 2nd results of the community stuff pack vote this really suits my gameplay more on all levels and I can’t wait to see the livestream.