Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dream Big, Build Small with The Sims 4 Tiny Living

Comments

• Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Lemon405 wrote: »

I’m definitely on the bus with everyone else who thinks this would have been the time to do something about ladders, loft beds, smaller telescopes, wall ovens and countertop stoves, smaller/different option for the cupcake factory, smaller microscope, smaller <insert bloated item here>. Why is everything in this game so huge?!?

Remember, one of the options for the second community pack was for smaller objects like telescopes. This was likely in the works for a year or so. The community pack only came around a couple of months ago.
  • Options
    vincentvega8899vincentvega8899 Posts: 103 Member
    [quote="alexspoom13;c-17361309"]I'm confused as to why the announcement thread got closed.

I like the look of what [i]is[/i] in the pack, and I hate to be that Simmer, but really? A 'Tiny Living' Stuff Pack, with no spiral stairs [i]or[/i] bunk beds? What pack could have been better than this to include two items that have been requested for [b]5 years[/b].

Like I said the objects look cool but these omissions leave a sour taste in my mouth. [/quote]

Heard that! We aren’t getting spiral staircases or bunk beds. The update to custom stairs was the “new” take on it. Same as their “new” sim story which is to much work on their part for the amount of luster it gives. Sims 2 had it right. Bunk beds would have to be integrated in the packs theme and they kinda missed it a few times. However I’m extremely happy for the pack. It might force some sort of challenge with the game which means more involvement which I’m totally about.
  • Options
    AmandaBeuryAmandaBeury Posts: 12 New Member
    I wish we could see more about the lot type. Does it limit to just 100 tiles? Or is there more to it?
  • Options
    SpirithartSpirithart Posts: 20 Member
    I love this idea and perfect for starter homes plus very cute
  • Options
    Felicia_QueensFelicia_Queens Posts: 69 Member
    edited January 2020
    No....just no. I already hate the idea of tiny homes IRL, I certainly don't want to see this in the sims. I'd much rather have....oh, I dunno...more animals? More recipes, home based businesses, more active careers.... You know what, I posted a whole thing already, just go read that.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/970913/my-ts4-wish-list

Those of you who are into it, have a blast but IMO this was a waste of time and a money grab. :|
  • Options
    CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    Those of you who are into it, have a blast but IMO this was a waste of time and a money grab. :|

True for any pack

• Options
    Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 268 Member
    Well this came out of nowhere. I mean...I approve, but I wasn't expecting this.
  • Options
    secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    Sims 4: Living Small!
  • Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,656 Member
    I like BIG homes with plenty of space, so I won't be needing this one.
    Looks cute though, and I do like the bed.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    This was my thoughst exactly. I've never in my life seen a murphy bed whereas sofa beds are very common around here. I'm willing to consider having a muprhy bed though as this is sims and the functionality is essentially the same (saves space).

I've never seen or heard of a Murphy bed outside of the Sims. It's clearly a north American thing. Sofabeds would be cool.
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    This was my thoughst exactly. I've never in my life seen a murphy bed whereas sofa beds are very common around here. I'm willing to consider having a muprhy bed though as this is sims and the functionality is essentially the same (saves space).

I've never seen or heard of a Murphy bed outside of the Sims. It's clearly a north American thing. Sofabeds would be cool.

It's not a very common thing currently in North America, I don't think, unless they're making a comeback or something. They seem to be a dated concept from a time gone by. Sofa beds would be cool, I agree.
  • Options
    ArianjaArianja Posts: 3 New Member
    I couldn't be more excited about this as I mainly build small and have been considering for quite some time to go into living in a van in real life. The murphy bed especially is very exciting, murphy tables would be equally awesome!
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited January 2020
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I am mostly confused

tiny living? yas
    murphy bed? yas
    that 1 tile desk? yas

everything else? what does this have to do with tiny living? those objects literally save no space?

at least give us some space saving kitchen appliances darn it or loft beds or something come on

I also saw the eating table for one, which we may already have a small one. IDK, I usually buy larger tables. Also, when they show the kitchen toward the end, there is a sink to the right in an unshown bathroom; can't tell if that's new.

I am happy with the theme. I like the new lot challenge even though I despise leveling up. I am not a builder, but I just about always change or redo houses my Sims live in. But, somehow, I really like the idea of it. It's limiting though, because of the kitchen and kid's rooms; no bunk beds. I wish we could've at least gotten one more real space saver. I guess, the bunk beds. For family players, it's space consuming to have to place a bunch of beds.
  • Options
    Calypso_MoonCalypso_Moon Posts: 1 New Member
    I LOVE TINY HOMES! I was so excited when I first heard about the pack, but now am just absolutely DEVASTATED that there are no freaking ladders. Which is what will actually make a tiny home tiny, instead of trying to work around a stair case. They already have the animation for the pool ladder, why couldn't they use that? :'(
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

It's not a very common thing currently in North America, I don't think, unless they're making a comeback or something. They seem to be a dated concept from a time gone by. Sofa beds would be cool, I agree.

There's a growing market for them for small condo apartments where I live, especially studio apartments (the ones with no separate bedroom). I would imagine people use them similarly in tiny homes if they have the budget for them. I was sofa shopping in the fall and we ran across lots of Murphy beds.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited January 2020

There's a growing market for them for small condo apartments where I live, especially studio apartments (the ones with no separate bedroom). I would imagine people use them similarly in tiny homes if they have the budget for them. I was sofa shopping in the fall and we ran across lots of Murphy beds.

Oh I see; interesting. Funny enough, I was watching Love It or List It on HGTV the day before yesterday, and they added a Murphy bed into the bonus room design. It looked sleek, modern, and easy to use. It was in an actual full-sized home, too.
    I guess the sort of...conundrum with this being the main feature in a tiny home in The Sims would be that Sims don't physically move furniture around, the player does. So in real life, a Murphy bed works as a space saver because a person can put the bed up and pull other stuff out, whereas in The Sims, the player would potentially have to constantly go into Build mode to make use of the available space when the bed is packed away. Which somehow doesn't seem efficient. Unless there's some routing features that have been implemented to make this more efficient.

ETA: after rewatching the trailer several more times, I realized that the Murphy bed does save space because it's also a couch.
    Post edited by NationalPokedex on
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited January 2020
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    This was one of the concepts that we could choose from in the first community stuff pack, for who doesn't remember/knows.

large.img-6.jpg

17-5.jpg

MY FIRST THOUGHTS HOWEVER:

This pack looks......really lame. Don't get me wrong, I like the concept but the only gameplay object is a murphy bed, like are you serious? Plus a new version of a residential lot with a 100 square room limit. It just doesn't seem worth the price but idk,it's just my first impression not knowing much. And why include knitting clothes on this SP when you are going to do a knitting SP, to be released at the end of this year? I hope the knitting SP doesn't have recolors of the clothes from this pack or I swear I'll rage. This just looks all over the place, plus the clothing is really nothing new, just seems more of the same, and once again, nothing for toddlers and kids, I'm starting to get annoyed.

The murphy bed looks fine, it looks like the couch in the initial concept art, I quite like it but does a murphy bed include enough gameplay for a SP? I guess there's a new death, perhaps ghosts with the death by murphy bed trait have a new ability or something idk. The new buffs also don't seem worth 10€ especially with the lot traits that we currently have but maybe there's more?

I like the build buy, however they once again went nuts with the colors, I hope there's some nice neutrals, blueish greys, browns, blacks and white, and not more of the purple and pink, or blue and pink color combos.

there's also a multi-purpose tv hack, and the new lot type. I just hope that murphy beds aren't exclusive to this SP, I'm really looking forward to seeing more designs to them... I've been witing for new washers and dryers for so long...
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    As for murphy beds "clearly" having been meant for DU, I've never heard of university housing of any kind having murphy beds. In fact the only time I've seen them in the wild, so to speak, is in older city apartments and not for many years. I highly doubt they've been holding on to this one object since City Living.

Just yesterday I saw someone wishing for more one-tile desks to save space.

I think my parents had a murphy bed at one point...in the 60s. I've never actually seen one, so I'm not sure why everyone thinks it should have been in the DU pack. As you note, it would probably only be in older apartments in the city (again, like the one my parents had).

My parents have one in their house! At some point after I moved out they turned my room into a guest room and custom built their own murphy bed in there. Lol. But, that's the only one I've ever seen in person.
    My husband and I had a futon when we first married and lived in an apartment, and my oldest son has a futon right now as well. So that would have actually been my first thought for a couch/bed combo.

I think part of the reason some people are excited about it is just because we had them before. There are a few things that people remember from previous games that they thought were fun and it's just fun to have them again. One of my things would be the heart hot tub and vibrating beds. I rarely used them before because I thought they were ugly, but now it's been a long time and it would be fun to see them again. Lol. Its nostalgia.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2020
    Karon wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    This was one of the concepts that we could choose from in the first community stuff pack, for who doesn't remember/knows.

large.img-6.jpg

17-5.jpg

MY FIRST THOUGHTS HOWEVER:

This pack looks......really lame. Don't get me wrong, I like the concept but the only gameplay object is a murphy bed, like are you serious? Plus a new version of a residential lot with a 100 square room limit. It just doesn't seem worth the price but idk,it's just my first impression not knowing much. And why include knitting clothes on this SP when you are going to do a knitting SP, to be released at the end of this year? I hope the knitting SP doesn't have recolors of the clothes from this pack or I swear I'll rage. This just looks all over the place, plus the clothing is really nothing new, just seems more of the same, and once again, nothing for toddlers and kids, I'm starting to get annoyed.

The murphy bed looks fine, it looks like the couch in the initial concept art, I quite like it but does a murphy bed include enough gameplay for a SP? I guess there's a new death, perhaps ghosts with the death by murphy bed trait have a new ability or something idk. The new buffs also don't seem worth 10€ especially with the lot traits that we currently have but maybe there's more?

I like the build buy, however they once again went nuts with the colors, I hope there's some nice neutrals, blueish greys, browns, blacks and white, and not more of the purple and pink, or blue and pink color combos.

there's also a multi-purpose tv hack, and the new lot type. I just hope that murphy beds aren't exclusive to this SP, I'm really looking forward to seeing more designs to them... I've been witing for new washers and dryers for so long...

They are exclusive. It's the point of the SP, much like the others.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    davina1221 wrote: »
    I am mostly confused

tiny living? yas
    murphy bed? yas
    that 1 tile desk? yas

everything else? what does this have to do with tiny living? those objects literally save no space?

at least give us some space saving kitchen appliances darn it or loft beds or something come on

I also saw the eating table for one, which we may already have a small one. IDK, I usually buy larger tables. Also, when they show the kitchen toward the end, there is a sink to the right in an unshown bathroom; can't tell if that's new.

I am happy with the theme. I like the new lot challenge even though I despise leveling up. I am not a builder, but I just about always change or redo houses my Sims live in. But, somehow, I really like the idea of it. It's limiting though, because of the kitchen and kid's rooms; no bunk beds. I wish we could've at least gotten one more real space saver. I guess, the bunk beds. For family players, it's space consuming to have to place a bunch of beds.

We have a one tile table already, but in this pack there seems to be a higher table that fits with a bar stool. Doesn't save space but it's new, at least sort of.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2020
    @musteni wrote: »
    davina1221 wrote: »
    I am mostly confused

tiny living? yas
    murphy bed? yas
    that 1 tile desk? yas

We have a one tile table already, but in this pack there seems to be a higher table that fits with a bar stool. Doesn't save space but it's new, at least sort of.

It's not new. The high table was introduced with Dine Out. There's one that's 1 tile and one that's 2 tiles. The same tables have a version that is the same height as a normal dining table. DU did another version of the 1 tile high table and this is another one. I quite like this asset, you see them in a lot of Cafés and what not.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SiggDiggitSiggDiggit Posts: 145 Member
    edited January 2020
    I'm very excited about this stuff pack, I wonder if we can preorder it, lol. Edit: Not as of this time, or if ever, Idk, lol.
    I love tiny homes and most of my sims live in them already so getting a bonus for doing something i'm already doing is cool. ;)
    That Tv/bookcase/stereo is gonna be soooo useful. Most times I completely forgo adding a bookshelf because I lack the room (see tiny home comment above, lol).
    The midcentury style of furniture is great and it'll mesh well with some stuff we already have. Breaks my heart when I gotta break up the theme of a house or put repeat armchairs in the den. (that was a bit dramatic of me)
    I also like the way this pack segues from DU to the knitting pack we'll be getting. A murphy bed to go with dorms and knitwear to go with, well, knitting.
    Plus, and I know this sounds like a really minute thing to be happy about but I myself wear glasses, we're getting a new pair of super cute glasses and I love them. The kids have been hogging the nicest glasses in the game for too long, lol.
    Edit: I forgot to mention that I really like the clothes and new hair too! I love crown braids and it'll be prefect for laid back, country chic weddings. The long sweater dress on the far left is wonderful and I love the sleeping pants second to the right, the plaid ones. Oh, and the sweater with rolled up sleeves the blond is wearing is so cute. Really I like everything I see, haha.
    Edit (no.2) (sorry, i'm excited): New DEATH, yasss!! lol
    Post edited by SiggDiggit on
    2f8164094dfe843e371b34f5333b4dff1d96e006.jpg
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited January 2020
    The murphy bed doesn't seem to save that much space - maybe a little as it's a sofa too (I think?). It would have made a lot more sense to include bunk beds or a pull out sofa - or any kinda of furniture combo really. The murphy bed is nice, but it doesn't really fit the theme. I feel like the 'stuff pack' size is a waste of DLC for this game. We need so much in the game that stuff pack themes always feel empty. I think the tiny scope for stuff packs are ruining the themes and they're ultimately a bad idea IMO.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    heartlacingheartlacing Posts: 24 Member
    > @Calypso_Moon said:
    > I LOVE TINY HOMES! I was so excited when I first heard about the pack, but now am just absolutely DEVASTATED that there are no freaking ladders. Which is what will actually make a tiny home tiny, instead of trying to work around a stair case. They already have the animation for the pool ladder, why couldn't they use that? :'(

These are my feelings, lol. Like, I LOVE the idea of micro-lots. Having an extremely localized lot might be the thing that finally gets me into learning how to build my lots and I'm excited to see what CC architects do with this concept, but if you can't play with space laterally within each room, you're missing a key feature of the appeal of the "micro house." A brief look on Flickr or Tumblr for real-life micro houses would tell you that ladders feature prominently because they're part of how you maximize space.

I'm sure it'll have some nice pieces in it, but, like... why even bother with this theme if you can't get a basic function working lol
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited January 2020
    Aine wrote: »
    The murphy bed doesn't seem to save that much space - maybe a little as it's a sofa too (I think?). It would have made a lot more sense to include bunk beds or a pull out sofa - or any kinda of furniture combo really. The murphy bed is nice, but it doesn't really fit the theme. I feel like the 'stuff pack' size is a waste of DLC for this game. We need so much in the game that stuff pack themes always feel empty. I think the tiny scope for stuff packs are ruining the themes and they're ultimately a bad idea IMO.
    Totally agreed.

I think the theme and content in this SP is all over the place like it was with Cool Kitchen SP for example.

I am confused.

I don't see how the murphy bed saves much space to be honest, also who has a murphy's bed? Is that something normal in the US because I think I have seen like one in my whole life. Apparently it was a very requested item, this also confuses me.
    A Tiny Living pack should come with ladders first of all, that is to me a no brainer, plus we have already the animation (kind of) from the IL ones. (Maybe they come with the patch before the SP is released). Then, together with the ladder, we should have gotten actual space saving items like a trash compactor (so we don't need to use up space for a bin), a normal size telescope, a tiny fireplace, a stove with only 2 plates instead of 4, bunk beds (I would love to know why it is so difficult for them to make them work, like I am genuinely curious), a small dollhouse, and the list could go on. I know an SP wouldn't include all of those but you get the point.

Then there is the aspect of the relationship bonus in tiny house lots, it should be the opposite. Living in a confine space usually puts a strain on relationships, it does not make them better. And that drama would have been a lot more fun to play with than just more happiness and easy gameplay. I don't see the point of the relationship boost, sims are already extremely social and happy, and autonomously kiss ad flirt with their SO all the time. So what will change exactly? Is not like it's hard to have a happy couple in TS4.

Speaking of this new lot type, most of the lots we have in the existing worlds are too big for a tiny house which means, like in the trailer, you'll have to do a lot of landscaping around the tiny house for it not to look silly.

Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.