February 21 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here!

Not enough community involvement in Stuff Pack 2

2...Next

Comments

• ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 1,887 Member
    It's too late for this now, but I must say, I hope if there's ever a community stuff pack 3, that it's done differently than this one. After seeing some responses from the art style and CAS votes, I agree with the OP now more than ever in that I think there needs to be way more interaction between the fans and the staff working on the pack.

It seems that all of the votes so far have been, show what's going to be voted on a week in advance with a few details, vote starts the following Monday, and that's it. Then we get a messaging saying, "well now the team is gonna take these results and work on the next thing", and it's silence for weeks before the process begins anew. Like the OP said, all we see are near finalized concepts for room designs and clothing when it's all be decided on and are just given the option to pick what we want. But why weren't the concept designs posted when they were still in progress and shown to the community beforehand? Then we could have given feedback on say, what we thought was fitting to even be included in a vote or not. 92 clothing options and a lot of the stuff shown looked really similar to stuff already available in one pack or another. I personally don't get why some of these were even options, but ignoring just my opinion, why couldn't the artists have posted these ideas as concepts far before the vote and asked us, "Here's what we're working on, what do you think of these options for kids? for adults? for men?" "are there other things you'd like to see added, like socks or gloves?" "do any not look fitting for the winning theme?", etc and so on. Then it's possible that we wouldn't have even had to bother with 92 items and we could have focused on a more limited selection and maybe even gotten more diversity from the options depending on what the majority preferred.

And I'm sure people are just gonna say, "well the community voted for it, so it's on us". In a way, yes I agree. But at the same time, again, if a lot of this stuff was never accepted into the final vote in the first place, it wouldn't have ever been available to be voted on. At the very least we should have been able to give feedback on the items being worked on before they were finalized and sent out to be voted on. Same with the style vote, where I saw some people who didn't like any of the options. I think we should have been able to help decide that too. They could have said, "Okay we're gonna come up with 3 styles for the pack to be voted on. We're thinking of a, b, and c. What do you all think?"

There's also the lack of communication on what exactly is being voted on. I know it often seems obvious, but I saw a lot of people who voted for specific art styles, based on the objects in the room or the associated CAS even though none of it was guaranteed for the actual pack (I don't think any of the example DIY CAS actually ended up winning in the end). And the CAS vote, where people weren't sure if we were voting for items that could actually be knit or not (but apparently it's a mix of both). There was a lack of clarity that was never addressed until after the respected votes were done. Again, that should have been specified beforehand.

I'm not posting this because I'm disappointed with how this pack is turning out. I'm actually not. I like the DIY style and I was actually not all too disappointed with the CAS that won. I'm not even saying these suggestions would have altered the votes, because it's totally possible that it wouldn't and that's fine. But, that not's really my point. Regardless, I still think all of this could have been done better and given the community more actual involvement. And like I said, if there is ever another community pack that they execute it a little differently.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 2,047 Member
    It's too late for this now, but I must say, I hope if there's ever a community stuff pack 3, that it's done differently than this one. After seeing some responses from the art style and CAS votes, I agree with the OP now more than ever in that I think there needs to be way more interaction between the fans and the staff working on the pack.

It seems that all of the votes so far have been, show what's going to be voted on a week in advance with a few details, vote starts the following Monday, and that's it. Then we get a messaging saying, "well now the team is gonna take these results and work on the next thing", and it's silence for weeks before the process begins anew. Like the OP said, all we see are near finalized concepts for room designs and clothing when it's all be decided on and are just given the option to pick what we want. But why weren't the concept designs posted when they were still in progress and shown to the community beforehand? Then we could have given feedback on say, what we thought was fitting to even be included in a vote or not. 92 clothing options and a lot of the stuff shown looked really similar to stuff already available in one pack or another. I personally don't get why some of these were even options, but ignoring just my opinion, why couldn't the artists have posted these ideas as concepts far before the vote and asked us, "Here's what we're working on, what do you think of these options for kids? for adults? for men?" "are there other things you'd like to see added, like socks or gloves?" "do any not look fitting for the winning theme?", etc and so on. Then it's possible that we wouldn't have even had to bother with 92 items and we could have focused on a more limited selection and maybe even gotten more diversity from the options depending on what the majority preferred.

And I'm sure people are just gonna say, "well the community voted for it, so it's on us". In a way, yes I agree. But at the same time, again, if a lot of this stuff was never accepted into the final vote in the first place, it wouldn't have ever been available to be voted on. At the very least we should have been able to give feedback on the items being worked on before they were finalized and sent out to be voted on. Same with the style vote, where I saw some people who didn't like any of the options. I think we should have been able to help decide that too. They could have said, "Okay we're gonna come up with 3 styles for the pack to be voted on. We're thinking of a, b, and c. What do you all think?"

There's also the lack of communication on what exactly is being voted on. I know it often seems obvious, but I saw a lot of people who voted for specific art styles, based on the objects in the room or the associated CAS even though none of it was guaranteed for the actual pack (I don't think any of the example DIY CAS actually ended up winning in the end). And the CAS vote, where people weren't sure if we were voting for items that could actually be knit or not (but apparently it's a mix of both). There was a lack of clarity that was never addressed until after the respected votes were done. Again, that should have been specified beforehand.

I'm not posting this because I'm disappointed with how this pack is turning out. I'm actually not. I like the DIY style and I was actually not all too disappointed with the CAS that won. I'm not even saying these suggestions would have altered the votes, because it's totally possible that it wouldn't and that's fine. But, that not's really my point. Regardless, I still think all of this could have been done better and given the community more actual involvement. And like I said, if there is ever another community pack that they execute it a little differently.

• ScobreScobre Posts: 17,782 Member
    I would just because I'm a curious woman who loves numbers.
    "The Sneetches got really quite smart on that day. The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches. And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches. That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether they had one, or not, upon thars." -Dr. Seuss

Everyone is a Simmer.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 3,600 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Glass fabrication would have been MUCH cooler, and sounds way more exciting. Stained glass windows and lights? Glass art sculptures? Snow globes? Glass walls? I have so many ideas, and now I have to be 80 and knit. But I'm a sucker and I'll buy the pack anyway.

Or you could be 45 and knit... or 30 and knit... or 12 and knit...

Please stop thinking knitting is just for old people. It's not. It never has been, except in some people's ageist minds.

I agree! My 25 year old crochets, and she started as a preteen. I’m in my 60’s and haven’t crochet or embroidered since I was a teen, although I did like the granny chic because I remember one of my grandmothers crocheting, and my mother too.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 5,890 Member
    I didn't have this feeling with the laundry pack as much but so far with this sp I can't help but feeling that the votes are a bit rigged. I can't shake the idea for example that they were always going to make a knitting pack, from the very beginning. And I for one don't believe that the results of the cas vote are representative of the way people voted. I can't imagine the votes to have been this balanced at all (and especially, again, include so much adult female stuff). If people voted for more hats and kids / male / toddler items it's because they wanted those more, not because they wanted the dev team to pick favorites from each category .. idk if I express myself very clearly since I'm really tired but everything about these votes has felt off so far. Way more than last time. Or maybe I'm just not on good terms with the team right now. Who knows.
  • SdnPlyr8SdnPlyr8 Posts: 1 New Member
    > @SimTrippy said:
    > I can't help but feeling that the votes are a bit rigged.

Eh, I don't think that's the case. I feel like this pack is very much in line with how Laundry Day was handled. I just think some of us are disappointed to learn how absolutely boring this community is. I mean I'm OLD, been playing the Sims from literally day 1, with real life toddlers at my feet who are now in college, and I was bummed out at both laundry ( I wanted the death pack), and now knitting. Seriously? Knitting? I crochet once in a while, but I don't want to watch my sims do that either. Laundry redeemed itself with awesome build/buy and CAS, so I do own that even though I never use actual laundry game play. However this will probably be a pass for me, judging on these last couple of votes.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 208 Member
    I don't think the vote was rigged; I do think that the gurus are trying to choose a wider variety of CAS items than the raw vote wanted. That may just be my perception based on the tastes of forum members, however.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 815 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I would just because I'm a curious woman who loves numbers.

Same. I'm curious to see where certain items (*cough* viking hat *cough*) ended up in the final tally of things. On the other hand, I can see a reason not to release the list because they did make one substitution, and I can see some people asking/demanding why they didn't sub in others if the votes were high enough. (I checked the wording. They only made the one.)
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 5,890 Member
    SdnPlyr8 wrote: »
    > @SimTrippy said:
    > I can't help but feeling that the votes are a bit rigged.

Eh, I don't think that's the case. I feel like this pack is very much in line with how Laundry Day was handled. I just think some of us are disappointed to learn how absolutely boring this community is. I mean I'm OLD, been playing the Sims from literally day 1, with real life toddlers at my feet who are now in college, and I was bummed out at both laundry ( I wanted the death pack), and now knitting. Seriously? Knitting? I crochet once in a while, but I don't want to watch my sims do that either. Laundry redeemed itself with awesome build/buy and CAS, so I do own that even though I never use actual laundry game play. However this will probably be a pass for me, judging on these last couple of votes.

I'm not sure you're right but this definitely made me chuckle 😂
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 516 Member
    I always knew arts&crafts was gonna win, I am fine with that but I hate that they dangled something like Happy Haunts in front of out noses and now it might be gone forever :(
    Don't think the votes are rigged though, it just that the more realistic and daytoday stuff seems to interest most players, which is fine by me.
    What I would wish for the next community SP to have no options like that, like make all the options occult centered, or all science centered, have an SP for the other niches to vote on, cause as soon as something day-to-day is an option (Laundry, Knitting) it's sure to win, so the others don't even stand a chance and that is kinda unfair, especially since the normal SPs have now won 2x which is okay but it feels kinda useless to have a vote if it is that predictable.
    *new* Gallery ID: ra7orrat
    old Gallery ID: Soulsucker13
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 17,782 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Same. I'm curious to see where certain items (*cough* viking hat *cough*) ended up in the final tally of things. On the other hand, I can see a reason not to release the list because they did make one substitution, and I can see some people asking/demanding why they didn't sub in others if the votes were high enough. (I checked the wording. They only made the one.)
    Same that viking hat was awesome. I'm also curious where the succulent and llama hats ranked too.
    "The Sneetches got really quite smart on that day. The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches. And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches. That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether they had one, or not, upon thars." -Dr. Seuss

Everyone is a Simmer.