Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 hints at "unexpected" expansion packs coming in 2020

TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
Source: https://www.digitalspy.com/tech/a30265434/sims-4-expansion-packs-2020/

The Sims 4 has started hinting at what fans can expect next year, after a strong 2019.

Developer Maxis released a range of wonderful content this year, from the well-received Island Living and Discover University expansion packs to customisable stairs and Pride-themed free updates.

So what's coming in 2020?

During December's Maxis Monthly stream, producers Dave Miotke and Michael Duke briefly discussed what's in store – and although they stopped short of revealing anything, they said that some of the packs coming up will be "unexpected" and surprising.

"I'm really excited for next year," Miotke said. "2020 is going to be a huge year for The Sims.

"We definitely have some surprises up our sleeve. I think it's going to be a very interesting upcoming year full of unexpected turns and twists, and it's going to be a lot of fun."

Duke said: "We're finally at that place where I'm not convinced they can guess our next couple of packs anymore."

"No!" Miotke added. "No, it seems like we've kind of run the gauntlet of historic kind of Sims themes. You've heard me refer to them before. I always call them 'lighthouse' themes. They're the ones that you see from just miles and miles away.

"When is Seasons? When is Cats and Dogs? Where's my University? Where's my Magic? And it feels like okay we've delivered a lot of those, so what's next now? Now it's time to surprise."

One thing that we know is coming is an Arts & Crafts Stuff Pack, after a community vote to decide on a favourite theme and gameplay feature (knitting won the latter).
The second round of voting, which is open now, lets fans choose their favourite art style of objects and clothing to be included in the pack.

Next year will also see the gallery finally come to the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions of the game, and even better, the gallery feature on consoles will be cross-platform with the PC/Mac version.

y'all got bread?

Comments

• Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Soooooooo excited!!!! What do you guys think could be coming that we wouldn't expect?🙈🙈🙈🙈
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I see a Themepark Expansion on the horizon. Also keep in mind Gamepacks is some of those.

Cant wait to see what kind of new worlds we get in 2020.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I'm hoping for a Generations-type Expansion or Game Pack, and Werewolves. I'm also anticipating Farming, but I only want it for two things unless the CAS is good- horses, and for people to stop whining about it.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    unexpected + never done before = farming
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited December 2019
    I predict we get horses and werewolves next year. Raising pigs, chickens, other farm animals. Maybe something with superheroes. Time travel. I'd like to travel to the past this time... Better babies and kids. An amusement park/rides of some sort. And I really, really, hope they revamp traits & personalities so they matter more. Give us an additional slot, too.
  • Options
    graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    I was hoping for farming but it's very expected, the Gurus were discussing it on twitter few years ago, I'm expecting something like superheros since it's very unexpected and was mentioned in one of the surveys..

I hope I'm wrong because it's the least expansion I'm interested in and probably won't buy..
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    I think Horses will be the next GamePack (the first pack of 2020).

I think what this game needs the most at the moment (in terms of packs, not free updates) is a Generations type of pack. Family gameplay has been severely neglected and just Parenthood doesn't cut it.

As a Generations Pre-Patch update they can add the revamped babies we have been asking for for ages.

When it comes to free updates I would love to see cars finally being added into the game, personalities being revamped, etc. (even though I think everything under the hood (the core game) will never get fixed/revamped sadly.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I can see another story driven Gamepack coming out in 2020.
  • Options
    ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    I imagine the "Unexpected" "Exciting" and "Never been done before" expansion will be.....Stamp Collecting. Let's be honest, they just saw Knitting beat out the Grim Reaper career in an actual poll. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they looked at that and went "Clearly Sims 4: Stamp Collecting is the way to take this franchise!"

I love it when somebody tickles my funny bone, lol.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Eh, I thought Island Living was good, though more of a GP. The world, Sulani, is excellent. I think it could have been a stronger pack if it included hotels or a small area specifically for vacationers. I actually liked getting a livable beach world. I also think that since I'm not that interested in playable mermaids, there might have been a chunk of content that just didn't appeal to me.

A lot of people complained about CL and I thought that was a great EP when I started playing TS4.

Anyway, I think that getting away from predictable content is mostly a good idea. It doesn't mean that there won't be demand. If in doubt, keep polling the community. I think what we're seeing is that it's a big community with some very different styles of players. I'm a player with my own style and I sometimes shift between a few ways of playing to different degrees.

Some of the stuff that I want is getting requested more often so I hope that we'll see it. I'm ok with being surprised as well.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited December 2019
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    I hope that they will not make it unexpected and surprising for their people that work with building the game and cause more simulation lag and make more things break for them when they patch the game.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    That gives me hope a Royal pack might be coming.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    I’m so excited to find out what unexpected packs they’ll be doing! I hope at least one of them will be a new vacation destination world, hopefully based around a theme we haven’t seen before.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Y'all keep mentioning generations (though I would personally LOVE this) and werewolves...unexpected=not requested most likely...don't get your hopes up...it's something most likely never done so it can't be those two...
    I am nervous and worried...
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    I am nervous and worried...

I am little worried too honestly, it can't be easy making something new and unexpected for a game that they have worked with for over 5 years.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited December 2019
    Honestly everything they have surprised us with has been great so far. I loved moschino stuff, use it daily. And I loved strangerville and get together. I'm hoping the "unexpected" includes a royal pack and an apocalyptic pack. Im so tired of super heroes I hope that's not it.

They say they hear us so I don't think it means we won't get some of what we've been requesting also. I still think we're getting cars,farming,generations, romance etc 👌

Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Paralee wrote: »
    I need a minute to collect myself after the "well-received Island Living" bit before I finish the rest ahahahahaha

Edit:: Ok I've collected myself.
    I definitely see a farming pack coming so theres still some expected things lol. And I'm guessing a royalty pack too given the number of references to royalty throughout especially in more recent packs. I suspect they will take the Royalty Mod and turn it in to a pack like they did with the Road to Fame Mod

LMAO. That pack has to be the worst EP in Sims history.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    "you can't be disappointed if you have no expectations"

This is my way of thinking with this game now lol. But I get disappointed anyway xD
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I’m intrigued to see what 2020 brings I would like farming and can see it being released at some point but other than that I don’t know what the sims team will release. I loved strangerville from 2019 and would love more surprises like that again. I like the idea of a royalty pack other simmers have mentioned that would be new and interesting. The only packs I would like next are farming, winter holiday and hotels pack. Although I wanted happy haunts I think it would be cool if this was a game pack.