Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

AI Autonomy

Has the AI been changed to make sims do less whilst autonomy is switched on? I've been experimenting with playing just one or two sims in a played household and I've noticed the others not really doing much. To be fair my house is basic at the moment for story reasons and doesn't have a computer or a TV, which sims tend to gravitate towards, but it still feels to me like they spend an awful lot of time just standing there rather than interacting with other objects.
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.

Comments

• CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    I'm a little relieved that it's not just me, yet I don't remember having this problem until just recently. Most of the time I play all the sims in my household but I specifically wanted to let some of them do their own thing this time and it seems pointless.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I've noticed an increase in random standing still as well.
  • asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    Mine just seem to suddenly be desperate to look at the pictures on the wall or have random conversations with people :/ Starving and sitting down for a family meal? Sure, let's get up and look at the painting in a different room. Sitting down to do homework with one parent helping? Sure, lets just forget it and walk to the other side of the house to have small talk with the other parent. Have a toddler that's starving and you've been instructed to pick up toddler and carry them down the stairs? Sure, let's just ignore all of that, put the starving toddler down to look at the picture of a dinosaur for the 8th time this hour - why not!? :s
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    It's not just you. I thought it was my mods, but they are up to date and it happens without them.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    Mine have gone from just standing around to constantly getting glasses of water. I thought we were past this glitch? :s
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Smarter Sims ™
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I thought they were always pretty dumb. I notice no change. I can only play with autonomy on for so long. :D
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • sinrasinra Posts: 72 Member
    Definitely experiencing this more as of late. Best thing is when I queue something up for them and they insist they're not done standing and won't move on for at least half a sim hour.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    It's just so frustrating. Sims always used to do their own thing a lot if I wasn't assigning them actions. It may improve once I give them a better house but I'm sure I noticed the same thing in a different save which definitely had a lot more stuff to do.
  • shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 252 Member
    This has become a very serious problem with the latest update. Our own user command set is being overridden and in some cases simply apparently deleted. It seems to be a combination of ingame AI and Autonomy with far too high a priority setting.
    EA, this game is run on OUR Personal Computers, and your gameplay is NOT more important than ours.

In the last week I have even tried playing with all autonomy turned off, to no avail at all, in fact it seems to stall and lag even worse.
    EA coders, whatever you fixed, UNfix our game please.
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited December 2019
    I've noticed this sort of thing happening on sims 4 console edition, my sim was at the diner and ordered some food, then after she received her food; everyone just stood there herp a derping for like 2 or 3 sim hours, I was like what the plums and I had to force her to eat the food, the friend she had with her just sat there through out the whole meal. I feel like it was because I installed too many expansions/game packs that my game's AI is starting to lag = kinda a concern but yea. So yea; I hope this AI lag issue gets sorted out for both computer and console versions.
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I don't quite understand what's happening. Somehow the priority level of Sims AI is just off to me. The game lags in strange ways too. Like for instance if I cancel an action why doesn't it just cancel right away. Why does my Sim wait there for the cancelled chat to begin first before they do the next action? Even if that means a Sim runs all the way over from the other side of the lot.

Sometimes you see all the cogs and gears working and it's magic. You'll see Sims run or walk to class. Ride a bike by. Have a conversation in the background or Sims at a restaurant just having a good time together while your Sims are doing their own things. It's lovely and lively and it's immersive.

Sometimes though it's like the hamster wheel is jammed but the hamster keeps trying to run. Sims stand around and do a weird acknowledgement motion that seems as they are just agreeing to things. They stand around waiting to start something or they have massive delays between actions. It's kind of a bummer.
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    Reading all this makes me even more convinced that I am not gonna update before it's absolutely neccessary. The last update has introduced more bugs than it has fixed.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    The last update has introduced more bugs than it has fixed.
    And this doesn't feel new, sadly.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 252 Member
    Sighs deeply. Maybe it's time EA was reminded of just who pays their wages?
    That is, WE the customer, pay their wages. Old business wisdom, The Customer Is ALWAYS Right.

Do other users of other EA titles have this problem I wonder?
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    I have noticed it too, I'm not sure if it's simulation lag. It feels like the game is stopping some sims until other interactions happen, usually between other sims. I also see more sims get stuck as well because they try and get food from the fridge or use the ping pong table from Discover University.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2019
    logion wrote: »
    I have noticed it too, I'm not sure if it's simulation lag. It feels like the game is stopping some sims until other interactions happen, usually between other sims. I also see more sims get stuck as well because they try and get food from the fridge or use the ping pong table from Discover University.

I don't understand why this game has this problem but the previous ones didn't....could it be the multitasking?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but seems like it could be. I play most of the time with autonomy off. To me, this means my Sim should not be doing any actions on their own, none, zip, zilch. That's not the case. If I don't have something queued up for my Sim to do and she sits idle, even for a second and another Sim decides they need to chat with her, she runs off abandoning her position to find them and chat.

Also, Sims are constantly trying to chat with her, even Sims that are not currently even anywhere near her. They are usually not even in the same building. I'll see their avy appear above the queue and cancel it, but it doesn't cancel. That Sim will still diligently make their way to mine to chat. Once they arrive, the avy drops into the queue as active and they'll blather away at my Sim, even after I cancel it again. This happens over and over again, ad infinitum.

After a few seconds, they'll stop talking to my Sim while she continues to do whatever I had her doing and go away. But sometimes, they'll sit down and chat with another nearby Sim and then both of them will try again to chat with my Sim and I have to go through the entire process again. It's frustrating.

Also, if I do have my Sim initiate chat with another Sim or want her talk to the Sim that initiated the chat, if there isn't another chat action queued up by myself for her to do, she'll pick something on her own to chat about and it's not always appropriate or what I want her to say. As stated, this is all happening on a Sim with no autonomy. She shouldn't be able to do that, only what I tell her to do. This has actually been going on for quite awhile. The nearest I can surmise is around the time I loaded ROM to my game.

I play a completely vanilla game with no CC, no Mods ever on a gaming desktop that's only a year old. So, I don't believe (at least in my case) this could be some kind of simulation lag caused by my computer in relation to canceling actions.

In summary, I just want other Sims to leave my Sim alone unless I want her to chat with them, I DON'T want her doing actions on her own if I have autonomy off and lastly, if I cancel an action it should cancel immediately! I enjoy playing this game and it's not game breaking for me in the least. It's just very frustrating and time consuming when it happens over and over again. I've resorted to locking her dorm room door to everyone, including her so she'll stay put in there and do what I tell her to do and I shouldn't have to do that. :/
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but seems like it could be. I play most of the time with autonomy off. To me, this means my Sim should not be doing any actions on their own, none, zip, zilch. That's not the case. If I don't have something queued up for my Sim to do and she sits idle, even for a second and another Sim decides they need to chat with her, she runs off abandoning her position to find them and chat.

Also, Sims are constantly trying to chat with her, even Sims that are not currently even anywhere near her. They are usually not even in the same building. I'll see their avy appear above the queue and cancel it, but it doesn't cancel. That Sim will still diligently make their way to mine to chat. Once they arrive, the avy drops into the queue as active and they'll blather away at my Sim, even after I cancel it again. This happens over and over again, ad infinitum.

After a few seconds, they'll stop talking to my Sim while she continues to do whatever I had her doing and go away. But sometimes, they'll sit down and chat with another nearby Sim and then both of them will try again to chat with my Sim and I have to go through the entire process again. It's frustrating.

Also, if I do have my Sim initiate chat with another Sim or want her talk to the Sim that initiated the chat, if there isn't another chat action queued up by myself for her to do, she'll pick something on her own to chat about and it's not always appropriate or what I want her to say. As stated, this is all happening on a Sim with no autonomy. She shouldn't be able to do that, only what I tell her to do. This has actually been going on for quite awhile. The nearest I can surmise is around the time I loaded ROM to my game.

I play a completely vanilla game with no CC, no Mods ever on a gaming desktop that's only a year old. So, I don't believe (at least in my case) this could be some kind of simulation lag caused by my computer in relation to canceling actions.

In summary, I just want other Sims to leave my Sim alone unless I want her to chat with them, I DON'T want her doing actions on her own if I have autonomy off and lastly, if I cancel an action it should cancel immediately! I enjoy playing this game and it's not game breaking for me in the least. It's just very frustrating and time consuming when it happens over and over again. I've resorted to locking her dorm room door to everyone, including her so she'll stay put in there and do what I tell her to do and I shouldn't have to do that. :/

I'm kind of on the fence. I usually don't want my Sim interrupted by other Sims - if I need to have my Sim talk to another Sim for some reason, I'll initiate the conversation. I sort of like the way they'll continue to chat without the player needing to keep the converation going, but as they sometimes say inappropriate things, it's not always a good thing. What really annoys me is that I might want my Sims to have one interaction (say, to fulfill a whim), but they both have to sit down somewhere and continue the chat. They can never just stand and chat.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    :/

I'm kind of on the fence. I usually don't want my Sim interrupted by other Sims - if I need to have my Sim talk to another Sim for some reason, I'll initiate the conversation. I sort of like the way they'll continue to chat without the player needing to keep the conversation going, but as they sometimes say inappropriate things, it's not always a good thing. What really annoys me is that I might want my Sims to have one interaction (say, to fulfill a whim), but they both have to sit down somewhere and continue the chat. They can never just stand and chat.

Yeah, I don't mind autonomy, but I do get what you're saying. One of my main characters, Rohber Calhouni, has the mean trait. So when I'm trying to get him to be friendly with someone, I fill up the "friendly" chat. Then I go do other stuff in the household while that's going on. But I come back and he's saying mean things now! Heh heh! He was a bad toddler too. :D

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• ZevanoxZevanox Posts: 30 Member
    > @Missmagoo2 said:
    > Mine have gone from just standing around to constantly getting glasses of water. I thought we were past this glitch? :s

Man, my Sims do that all the time too. I've considered removing the sinks xD
  • ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    edited December 2019
    I hate to be that guy, but I'm gonna be that guy. It actually doesn't seem too bad right now. (With the exception of Vampires being neutered) For me the AI seems reasonably balanced right now. One time I did have a sim just standing in one spot for like 3 SIM HOURS! And I was like "WHAT IS GOING ON????!!! DO SOMETHING!!!" But then my dumb self remembered I disabled autonomy hahaha.

There are some things I still wish they'd change. Cleaning, shoveling snow and playing in the rain at public venues. Just stop already! No one does this!
    Post edited by Arzekial on
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    Arzekial wrote: »
    I hate to be that guy, but I'm gonna be that guy. It actually doesn't seem too bad right now. (With the exception of Vampires being neutered) For me the AI seems reasonably balanced right now. One time I did have a sim just standing in one spot for like 3 SIM HOURS! And I was like "WHAT IS GOING ON????!!! DO SOMETHING!!!" But then my dumb self remembered I disabled autonomy hahaha.

There are some things I still wish they'd change. Cleaning, shoveling snow and playing in the rain at public venues. Just stop already! No one does this!

"Singing in the rain, Singing in the rain!"
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    edited December 2019
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    Arzekial wrote: »

"Singing in the rain, Singing in the rain!"

Seriously, why do all sims need to play in the rain? It's just silly.
    Post edited by Arzekial on