Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Small or Big Worlds?

mcorralmcorral Posts: 512 Member
Hello,

I'm must curious about your preferences and your game style. Do you prefer to have many small worlds or just fewer but bigger ones?

I personally prefer bigger worlds. I play in very inmersive way so, for example, if I'm playing a single DJ who likes to party I only play in San Myshuno, but if I'm playing a big family in the country I rarely go to San Myshuno and stay in Windenburg or Brindleton Bay. That doesn't mean that sometimes my family want to do something different and spend the weekend in another world.

Bigger worlds means you can place many Commercial Lots so you can have everything you need there and you don't have to go out of your world. You can design your world to your family preferences. That way you can play in a very immersive way.

What do you prefer?
Post edited by mcorral on

Small or Big Worlds? 89 votes

Lots of small worlds
16%
GoldmoldarmercuryfoamloubyloulouphantasmkisselelunicyDeKayLiELFMDianaSimsColton147147AbraKadabraTTNsimmerSimAlexandriaPrink34320V2EllupelluelluQueenarella 15 votes
Fewer but bigger worlds
83%
Akl500PJaseLaBlue0314jeepjeepcatlisamwittjoelygirlsims2MeteoraStormelanorbretonmcorralgoodcakebaker62BluelleLizzychicagoJavi182keenowdetermigsmurf45bluetaydevMinorKeyesduhboy2u2spice3 74 votes

Comments

• Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Lots of small worlds
    The size of the worlds doesn’t matter at all. Worlds in TS4 are nothing more than an illusion anyway. Gameplay wise, traveling to a neighborhood within the same world is not any closer than traveling to a different world, so why do you want everything in one world? Besides storytelling purposes (which I couldn’t care less), I can’t think of any other reasons. You can easily pretend Magnolia Promenade is in Willow Creek for instance; functionally speaking, Magnolia Promenade being its own world makes no difference.

Ultimately, neighborhoods are what actually matter, not worlds. The developers literally call each individual neighborhood as a world in game coding. What we call a world is actually a region that consists of multiple worlds.
    Hey Zerbu, to reduce confusion here is the terminology we should use:

735ehs832jft.jpg

So if the total number of neighborhoods is the same, I prefer lots of smaller worlds to allow a greater variety. For instance, if we’re going to get 10 more neighborhoods, I prefer something like 5 new worlds each with 2 neighborhoods, instead of 2 new worlds each with 5 neighborhoods.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    AderodAderod Posts: 1 New Member
    Fewer but bigger worlds
    What i really want is one XXL size world. New empty/or not world with over 40/50 lots, and divided into special neighborhoods where one of them could be crowded city(something like San Myshuno) and the other can serve as haven for loneliness/tired of living in a big city sims (StrangerVille/Granite Falls), and so on.
  • Options
    alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    Fewer but bigger worlds
    commercial lots are super valuable to my play style, i have to have a range of options, so bigger worlds are better for that reason
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited December 2019
    Fewer but bigger worlds
    My favorite worlds are the bigger ones. I do travel between the worlds but I like being able to edit more within a world. Having more lots allows for more commercial spaces and it lets me expand rotational households in a flexible way.

I actually like having more worlds with lots of different settings but I generally prefer medium-to-large worlds.

The large worlds are all full of households for me. I also think that Brindleton Bay and Britechester are gorgeous though I end up wishing that I had a few more lots. At this stage, I am playing more flexibly with the individual worlds. I keep the Sulani sims entirely in Sulani and I ignore them in any other world. (Yes, it would be great to restrict travel for NPCs from certain worlds into the rest, a bit like with StrangerVille sims.)

I always end up wishing I had an extra lot or two.
    Post edited by ChampandGirlie on
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    mcorralmcorral Posts: 512 Member
    edited December 2019
    Fewer but bigger worlds
    Thank you @elelunicy for your contribution.

Maybe I din't express myself clearly. Sorry. Of course I know the differences between Neighbourhood, World and Lot and I also know you can travel anywhere around.

The thing is that if you are playing a specific family who enjoys a specific way of life you are driven to do all activities in a specific scenery and world. For example: a big family who loves the outdoors, playing with their kids in big parks, doing outdoor activities, gardening, etc. they are more driven to do things in a countryside scenery rather than a city. They love the country so they should have all they need in the countryside: cinema, bar, parks, museum, etc, and all those places means: more lots.

On the contrary, if I'm playing a sim who loves the city and doesn't like outdoor activities but likes clubbing and enjoying the city life, this sim would not go to the country often so he/she likes to have everything IN the city: clubs, restaurants, art centre, gym, etc. Having all those things in the same world means: more lots in this world.

PD: I'm sorry but I think your picture is not right. What you call "region" is the world, and what you call world is the neighbourhood/district. ;)

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Neighborhoods_in_The_Sims_4
    https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Worlds_in_The_Sims_4
  • Options
    BluelleBluelle Posts: 327 Member
    Fewer but bigger worlds
    Bigger "worlds", and by worlds I mean "neighbourhoods", the WHOLE thing, not just a section of the neighbourhood. Bigger worlds with at least 10 lots. Preferably 10-15 lots. Having small worlds just... it just really feels like they are trying to be as cheap as possible. I want worlds like TS3, where they were huge.. This is why I never play with places like Magnolia Park or Midnight Hollow. They're too small.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited December 2019
    Fewer but bigger worlds
    What can I say? Bigger is better :D
    I never play in glimmerbrook because it's too small. And I play big families,I need big lots. And i just love the feel of big worlds. Small ones are suffocating
    Wendinburg and willow creek I play most for this reason.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    I would rather have reasonable amount of mid size worlds.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited December 2019
    I actually don't have a preference, I like small worlds because they allow for small pockets of out of the ordinary (Glimmerbrook, Forgotten Hollow, Del Sol Valley) I like large worlds because there's so much outside of the lots to explore (more or less all the others.)

But I don't have an issue with world hopping to have my sims go to museums or gyms or anything else. It actually feels more "normal" to me to have to go somewhere else for nightclubs and museums than have them all in the same the local area - and I live in an urban area, where, in theory, everything should be close by. And most things are, but not everything. Some things require me to go to a different city. A very close city, to be sure, but still a different one, with a different character and feel.

And to be blunt, my experience with country living (15 years of visiting the middle of Midwestern farm country USA every summer) is that yes, you do have to travel "to the city" to do much of anything besides eat and drink. Maybe some state/local parks which can double as history museums, but arts museums, science museums, zoos, actual nightclubs as opposed to glorified bars, gyms - these are usually "city" things. If you're lucky, there might be a second run movie theater in the next town over if it's big enough. Even expanding "country" to include suburbia, there will still be things that are only available in the city.

But maybe your experience with country living is different.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I don't mind having to world hop in order to do things. Would I like bigger worlds just to have more space? Sure. But I don't want to be stuck in one world the entire time I'm playing like Sims 3.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    edited December 2019
    Fewer but bigger worlds
    What matters more for me is the size of the neighborhood. If you look at del Sol Valley and then compare it to strangerville. Both are about the same size, 11 lots for del Sol Valley and 12 for strangerville. But del Sol Valley feels confined because 2 neighbourhoods haveoonly 3 lots whereas the neighborhoods in strangerville have 4 lots or more. I rather have one neighbourhood less in a pack if that means more lots in the neighbourhoods we get.
    I want to be able to place two or three families and at least one community lot in the neighbourhood I am using, so 4 lots is an absolute minimum for me.

On a side note : context matters. I can understand a remote island in Sulani only having 3 lots but an urban setting like del Sol Valley should have 5 or 6.
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    I like having some big and small worlds because it allows me more options when playing. Sometimes I play a sim who lives off the grid away from everything and I like having Glimmerbrook or Forgotten Hallow to do so. Sometimes I play a club hopping vampire with a large extended family and appreciate having Windenburg or San Myshuno to play in. It's nice to have a variety of worlds to choose from both in size and style.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I don't know what makes a world 'big' or 'small'. I personally don't really care too much. As long as a world isn't like Del Smol Valley, with only 3 areas; each with only 3 oddly sized lots, I'm good.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited December 2019
    I'm not sure. At the moment I play in three regions in my main save:
    - Midwest (Oasis Springs, Strangerville)
    - Polynesia (Selvadorada, Sulani)
    - Great Lakes (Everything else)
    I'd love to get new additions to each region, but I do not care whether this will be one big or several smaller worlds. Unlike with Sims 3's very restrictive maps each Sims 4 neighborhood is closed anyway and I cannot see San Myshuno from Newscrest, just a generic skyline. Therefore the distance between them can be a short or far as I want it to be and therefore world size doesn't matter much to me.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    Fewer but bigger worlds
    I am in the middle on this really. I like having multiple worlds to choose from and travel between, each with their own feel. And size wise, the worlds seem plenty large. I just wish we could add lots to the neighborhoods within them. I wouldn't even mind if we could only place them in certain spots on the map, I just want to be able to add some.
    I turned Windenburg into a commercial center where all the community lots are at, and all my other worlds are residential. But some, like Magnolia Promenade are pretty worthless without being able to add lots.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don't care either way. I'm not a builder and as long as my sims have nice places to live then I'm happy.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Fewer but bigger worlds
    in general I prefer larger worlds that have different areas, like a harbor area, a residential area, a forest area and so on (as in brindleton for example), but I also like variety in the overall setting, what I am really missing is a large occult world though.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Fewer but bigger worlds
    i dislike the smaller "worlds" because of the amount of extra load screens and simply because the areas are too small to be used properly. if we could get a "region" sized world with plenty more lots in between with a lot more detailed area, it would really bring out the game.

The capability for shopping, highways, more secluded residential space, more quiet areas for fishing, several parks and the ability to have cars and motorbikes as the area would be large enough for such things. Not to mention more cafes, libraries, museums and so forth, which can be interacted with and travel to, but can't be edited from the map at all. Having essential services intergrated into these regions would be great so it can allow for a lot more residential zones and optional zones.

Now i could forgive Maxis if they split Windenburg into three worlds, but each of them region sized of their own. having the islands to the southwest, to the east is the densely populated Windenburg city itself. The Northwest has the rolling hills and big open countryside and some seaside with nice brown sandy beaches.

Now imagine the scale that could go into the heavily underutilized and overlooked worlds like Del Sol Valley, Granite Falls or Forgotten Hollow. The effort that could go into those worlds to expand them out beyond one streets worth of houses surrounded by forests, mountains or distant buildings not providing anything would be nice.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Fewer but bigger worlds
    I'm the same as you, op. I have a family in Del Sol Valley and sending them to any other world besides Oasis Springs (and maybe Strangerville) just seems immersion-breaking to me since anything else just looks like it's too far away to travel to just to meet some friends. It wouldn't be a problem if the worlds were just a tad bit larger so we could place more commercial lots there without having our sims have to travel to somewhere which looks like it's located on the other side of the world.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Lots of small worlds
    Why not both? o:)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    Fewer but bigger worlds
    I only chose big because I like to have the aesthetic of having everything in one place.
    But, elelunicy already made the point that in TS4, it doesn't really make much a difference since loading screens are present.
    What I really want in an open world, again. If it's within the same "world/city/town" I want to be able to openly explore the map without a loading screen. It makes it easier to interact with neighbors and provides your sim a bit more freedom.
    I wouldn't mind a loading screen if it takes me to another "world/city", like from Willow Creek to Oasis Springs, though.
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Fewer but bigger worlds
    I will rethink this. It does not matter how big the world is because I can only have 20 Sims on one lot. In my legacy save I can not even invite the whole family over for a celebration. The game has limits which affect the way I play.

Last night in my game it was New Years Eve. I had the 6 college Sims cook up a 3 of grand meals and had some others use the phone to invite over family members. Not every showed up even though I got the message saying everyone was on their way.

In real life I come from a family of 14. I have 29 nieces and nephews. I have 21 great nieces and nephews. I wanted to have a huge legacy in my game. When Discovery was released I had already skilled up two galley Sims so I sent them to college.

When they started college they had two kids. They ended up having 6 kids while in college. I had to cheat the household size. I kept playing and now I have 6 of the kids at college. The older two kids already went to college and are married with kids. After the 6 kids moved to college their mom had triplets and is pregnant again because of MCC story progression. LOL

I was just disappointed that some family members had to be excluded from the party. Then I saw this thread and after I voted I realized that the size of the world makes no difference because you can not even invite over all the neighbors at the same time for a block party or another big celebration.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    All the above
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Fewer but bigger worlds
    I prefer larger worlds I wish every world was the size of Windenburg or larger.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"