Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best university degree for an aspiring archeologist?

What is the best degree if someone wants to explore the jungle in selvadorada and become an archeologist. What educational background could benefit such a person?

Comments

• Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I gave one archaeologist Art history as it seemed appropriate, and he took the Selvadorada and Archaeology related electives when they came up.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    I gave one archaeologist Art history as it seemed appropriate, and he took the Selvadorada and Archaeology related electives when they came up.

I can see why you you thought that was fitting but in the jungle he would benefit from high logic skill..it helps with the jungle dangers.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    kostasmpi wrote: »

I can see why you you thought that was fitting but in the jungle he would benefit from high logic skill..it helps with the jungle dangers.

Hmm, never thought of that.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    Yep
    , it helps avoid the bats:)
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    History of course! It is both fitting and focuses on charisma and logic, as well as the research and debate skill which can be useful for any student. Biology seems like a good choice too if you want something less obvious as logic, handiness and gardening can all be helpful in the jungle. If like my sim your sim wants to do archaeology more as a hobby though, then any degree that suits their character could be useful. They could also study electives in archaeology, Selvadoradian culture, handiness etc. and work on fitness or join the sports team.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Nice to know.

Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    From a gameplay viewpoint I have no idea, but for roleplaying do not underestimate the importance of painting, writing and photography, perhaps also handyness in addition to logic. There's a good amount of measuring, describing, drawing, comparing and laboratory work in that career.
  • Options
    asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    I've literally just done this with my sim :) I went for History because it builds logic and charisma, and spread it out over 4 terms so I could take more electives - and tried to do electives in Salvadoradan culture and dance, and handiness, and I had him join the sports team too to build his athletic skill. By the time he graduated his skills were really high, and his ability to deal with all of the jungle issues, chance cards and traps, was really good and he didnt really need anything other than a machete to explore. From a storytelling perspective, I thought History would be a good one because I though he could be exploring which part of history he found most interesting, and he would discover a love of ancient history and focus his life choices from there.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    shouldn't this be under "EPs" and not game pack?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    GorandGorand Posts: 51 Member
    Jungle is Game pack, so valid here
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    Gorand wrote: »
    Jungle is Game pack, so valid here

but DEGREE is university so it should go in EP?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Such a bummer they didn’t create a career to go with that pack
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Such a bummer they didn’t create a career to go with that pack

I actually prefer that they didn’t. It’s easy enough to register as a self-employed “Archaelogist” which leaves you with a more flexible schedule to actually go to the jungle.

As for the original question, my main archaeologist is currently working on a history degree. Since you can go back for multiple degrees, my head canon for all my sims is that the first degree is an undergrad degree, and every subsequent degree is grad school. So I’m going to have him go back later for an education degree, as most archaeologists IRL are also professors. (For comparison, I’m also going to try to make sure that most of my doctors and lawyers and scientists also get at least two degrees.)

But, I have another archaeologist who is art history all the way (degree plus art critic as a career, with archaeology as a hobby basically) plus another one who I may or may not even send to university, and she’s going to stay self-employed as an archaeologist.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    edited February 2020
    Probably a silly question: Do any degree make a difference if being an Archealogist? I understand thatr certain skills come in handy in the jungle, but would there be any difference between a sim taking a degree (including those useful skills) and a sim just reading up on those skills on his own?

Can relics sell for more if you have a degree? Do you find them more easily? Or do you get a bonus?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    Aside from these mentioned, Psychology gives you a head start as a professor if you want to do the Dr Jones route.