Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you want another pack like Strangerville

Comments

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    Yes
    yes as long as they keep it short ans simple
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • AmavariAmavari Posts: 167 Member
    Yes, but only if they are more than one and longer
    Yes, but if they do packs with storylines they should be longer, more involved, and not just a one and done deal, the pack could have a main storyline that you can finish but there could be repeatable side quests and smaller stories that pop up

Its neat having a reason to interact with other sims.
    This sort of mini story would have done wonders for packs like RoM and Vampires, honestly if they did some little RPGs elements for all of the occult packs I'd be happy.
  • ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    No
    I might consider it if there was a way to toggle the story off but otherwise no. I dont play the Sims for that style of gameplay. If I wanted to save towns from invading monsters I'd go find some other game with more in depth gameplay focused on that style.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited December 2019
    No
    No, I think Strangerville was a test, and it wasn't a very good story either. Sims 4 is about making your own story.

It was an interesting way to unlock things, but it also feels a very 'console appealing' thing. I'd rather the devs focused on objects and gameplay than a one-off story that has no reason to be replayed.

Do the math - currently 76% of people are dissatisfied with the Strangerville story.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,174 Member
    edited December 2019
    Yes
    I miss Castaway Stories !

I like when a world have a background story and to be able to participate or not to it, when things are happening outside of the life of my sims.

It would be nice if Maxis could tell stories about the werewolves and the zombies.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • MsShaShaMsShaSha Posts: 52 Member
    I enjoyed Strangerville, and have yet to play through all of the possible story lines... I also loooooove the build/buy and CAS items, I want more of that in fact, and the world is really pretty (for a desert at that, my least favorite of places). I would absolutely be open to more story based (with the option for the usual sims sand box play) packs!

I feel I should add that I have saves where I've played through the story line as random premades just to put an end to things because I didn't want "the odd acting locals" in that game play. Tbh though, that part doesn't really bother me, it's an easy work around that can be done fairly quickly enough (especially with cheats) without affecting other game play. However, it's having the locked locations that is a serious issue for/with me. - The secret lab should be a buildable lot. And after this long, it's absurd (and beyond frustrating) that it isn't.

I understand their original "reasoning" around locking it - to protect the story play, and the concern of people breaking one of the key features of that story that the pack is based around. *But*, if you're entering cheats, you probably have at least some idea of what you're doing and the consequences of breaking a preset. When we're paying for a pack, if there's a lot (because lbh, we don't get many) we should be able to build on ALL of them.
    • Open the lab to being buildable with bb.enablefreebuild.
    • Include the items that create the "poisonous gas" under bb.showhiddenobjects.
    • Upload an original of the secret lab to the gallery "just in case".

As a builder I want so badly to turn that lab into SO many other things that even visiting Strangerville annoys tf out of me rn. - I want it to be a night club, converter from an abandoned old government facility. I want to turn it into a mansion for an alien family, or maybe an alien colony! I want to do a TON of things with that HUGE lot other than never even visit it.

I'm sorry for rant! 🙈 I know this is a question of our thoughts on future similiar packs, but this seems relevant as I love the idea - but fear more locked lots, and that just wont do.

uwxwhgf
    I build things some times. Origin ID: MsShaSha
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Yes
    This was a sleeper hit for me. I got it only because I bundled it. I actually didn't even research it before I got it which I normally do before making a decision. I had also been away from the game for a while.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected and I got some thorough play out of it in August that kind of brought me back. I don't want all my gameplay to be that directed and I was glad to conclude the story and continue with my rotation, but I had a good time.

I really liked being able to play with any random sim and to choose how I handled it. In my case, I had a freelance computer programmer who ended up being quite "sciencey" and quite handy. She kind of defied gender stereotypes and it's still fun to check back with her.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    No
    MsShaSha wrote: »
    I enjoyed Strangerville, and have yet to play through all of the possible story lines...
    There's only one.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    Yes
    I enjoyed Strangerville and the world is really pretty just wish it was a larger world.
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,859 Member
    No
    If the theme of Sims 4 was "you rule" it would seem that a routed storyline with as specific end game doesn't fit, just IMO. I'm not saying it wouldn't be enjoyable but just doesn't seem like Sims.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    No
    Nope I prefer sandbox play to make me feel like a god in my Sims games rather than the game controlling me. Even Simmers who prefer linear game play said they get bored with the story line of the pack after they play it from what I have noticed from Twitch streamers.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,174 Member
    edited January 2020
    Yes
    The idea should be more flexible, giving the possibility to customize the story like Mass Effect or Life Is Strange :
    One main storyline but several choices and several consequences.
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    No
    I play the sims for a sandbox game not quest lines. If I want questlines I'll go play a game designed to have multiple endings based on my actions not a linear path. (And to be clear, that isn't what I want from the sims)
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    No
    Between all game packs and expansion packs, I find Strangerville to be the weakest of all packs next to Spa Day. I just don't like that linear game play. Things that would have saved it would be if they made a whole collection of strange plants to find and more active items we could use in everyday gameplay. I really don't want to see another story-based pack again. Sims just is not the franchise to do this!!!
  • EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    No
    No, because while game packs are my favorite, I can't remember what Strangerville really added to the game... Wasted resources and lack of replayability, in my opinion. I don't feel like it really expanded or built over any gameplay.
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    No
    RavenSpit wrote: »
    It was fun doing the story, as it also fit one of my characters, but I highly doubt I will ever do it again...I much prefer the usual packs, just , giving us the tools to create our own stories.
    So as for the story aspect: No.
    As for SV being strange (possessed Sims walking arround and weird plants growing), I do like that + the fact that it stays in SV makes the place more special, I wish all sim worlds had more special things about them or at least the occult worlds, guess I am the minority on that one.

It doesn't stay in Strangerville, I had the infected show up in Magnolia Promenade at one of my restaurants. It was shocking and hysterical all at the same time. They were running around my restaurant like maniacs. Another time they were running around the neighborhood.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    No
    No, SV is like that toy you get, look at it, maybe play with it for a few minutes, then throw it down and ask what else did you get me?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    No
    Cinebar wrote: »
    No, SV is like that toy you get, look at it, maybe play with it for a few minutes, then throw it down and ask what else did you get me?

That's a pretty good analogy.
    edited January 2020
    No
    The idea should be more flexible, giving the possibility to customize the story like Mass Effect or Life Is Strange :

They tried what you are suggesting with Medieval and it failed miserably. People who play Sims don't play it because it's like other games, they play it because it's different. There's plenty of RPG's out there.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    No
    I don't know why I read that as Stardew Valley. But yeah replaying Strangerville storyline is short and doesn't have of gameplay hours to complete it. It is like once you know the story not so much there. Sadly how Jungle Adventures gets too. Sims towns aren't that big so don't take that long to explore.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    No
    lisamwitt wrote: »

They tried what you are suggesting with Medieval and it failed miserably. People who play Sims don't play it because it's like other games, they play it because it's different. There's plenty of RPG's out there.

Just think, if there had been all these rpg players back in 2011 who now play and want this stuff in TS4, how many EPs we could have gotten for The Sims Medieval. :D Those who did buy it liked it for what it was an rpg, questing game, however, those playing TS3 wouldn't dare touch it (not a very big audience) so it was scrubbed. I wonder where all these rpg players were back then and why they didn't help support TSM.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited January 2020
    No
    lisamwitt wrote: »

Just think, if there had been all these rpg players back in 2011 who now play and want this stuff in TS4, how many EPs we could have gotten for The Sims Medieval. :D Those who did buy it liked it for what it was an rpg, questing game, however, those playing TS3 wouldn't dare touch it (not a very big audience) so it was scrubbed. I wonder where all these rpg players were back then and why they didn't help support TSM.

I think you're right. I don't play RPG's, so I still wouldn't buy it now, but there seems to be a fairly large base for that type of game. Even if it had come directly after Bustin' Out or the Urbz maybe, it would have sold well because those are more RPG like. I think even I might have bought it then because I loved those before I moved to Sims on PC.
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Yes! Strangerville reminded me a bit of Sims Medieval which was a hoot to play and had a questing system of sorts. I'd love to see that type of gameplay again going into the past, future, all kinds of scenarios but with more outcomes and story length.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    No
    I love story-based games and I love RPGs, but this type of gameplay just doesn't match The Sims for me. It's about telling a story, not following a pre-determined story.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    No
    The story isn't what The Sims is meant to be about, making it a waste of creative talent and programming.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.