Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to create a legacy and stick with it

Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
edited March 5 in Nominated Threads
I was wondering how those of you who love playing legacy style manage to stick with it through so many generations. I have done it, but I think it was years ago when I was still playing Sims 3. Usually I get to generation 4 or 5 before getting bored. What is the best way to do it? Pick a theme? Pick goals for each generation? I wouldn't bother with a points system or anything but I'd like to do it again for sure. I usually play rotationally, including the younger children of the household and all their descendants but I use MCCC so I could definitely play with just the heirs if I so wished.
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    You have my admiration, I cannot even stick through one generation. Legacies are just too boring for me. I have many families in my main rotation, and I rotate at pleasure and age them up when I want. My families pretty much all know each other here and there, belong in clubs etc. and I have aged very few up in the last 5 years. When I did try to do legacies in sims 4 though I would go in and mix families, give them children about every time my sim would have a child ( I don’t use mods ). I have thought about trying some kind of castaway game with chance cards drawn at random. In fact, if Maxis gives us another pack like Strangerville I hope that it is some kind of castaway pack where a boat load of people get stranded with chance cards. I loved ‘lost in blue’ and would sure like to see some of those elements in a game pack. I hope it’s a bit more challenging than Strangerville though, but the challenge can either be toggled on or off depending on the save ( I’m not sure I would want to mix it with my main rotation like I did Strangerville.
  • sinrasinra Posts: 72 Member
    It's been a few years since I successfully completed a legacy following the rules perfectly, and I won't be of much help there, I'm afraid because even I question how I managed.

Though I will say that these days I choose to play my game loosely following the rules, and applying my own and find it easier to get through several generations that way. Personally I find it hard to stick with it for long if I'm too restricted by rules. So, if you find yourself getting bored maybe loosening up with the rules or tweaking them for more freedom would suit you better? Sure, it won't be the good ole legacy challenge, but it's your game and you may as well do what you need to do to enjoy the ride. Some strive with more definite rules to follow and things to achieve and it helps them get through it, for others it just doesn't and that's okay! We're all different after all.

In my current "legacy" I name each generation alphabetically (founder was Aeryn, who married and had the B generation, who then produced the C generation etc.), have strict patriarchy without player interference of gender outcome (and I swear I don't seem to be able to get a son on the first try), strict bloodline, founder started with 0 money on a big lot and so forth, no money/skill/needs cheats allowed, heirs have their typical rules of straight A's, completing aspirations and making it to the top of their careers and such, the usual shenanigans.

I do, however, play rotationally, and allow my heirs to move out of the house, and the founder's lot serves more as a legacy landmark and is where all my heirs eventually go to die as they grow old. I keep their graves, some personal belongings and portraits of them there and expand on the house with each generation, elders essentially inherit the house and do renovations and upgrades in their retirement years. I have aging off and kill for plot, or when I deem elders to have lived "long enough". I want to enjoy all the different worlds and I love building and furnishing so I just can't keep myself in one place forever.

When island living came out I wanted to experience the pack with one sim and considered just making a new save, but decided to instead use my then heir's sister Briar to do it because the pack fit her best and I got some fun plot out of it. She moved out with her future military husband who was sent off to be stationed in Sulani for peace corps purposes, and Briar was essentially a military wife. By the time I had experienced everything I wanted in terms of the pack I had fleshed out the "legacy" and had an actual story for her. She was a stay-at-home mom, producing her share of the C generation and I found myself more compelled to have my heir and the "core family" actually interact with their extended family once I switched back to them, as now that part of the family tree actually had something interesting going for them. Once I switched back, the heir Bellamy married his sister's best friend from Sulani and due to joining the military career and having the Strangerville aspiration he moved to Strangerville to raise the core C generation.

I followed the same principle with those children and the eldest daughter of the C gen is who I used to explore Realm of magic as it came out and for plot purposes had her run away from home (long story), and Discover University came out just in time for my heir to head to college, and I took him and his brother there separately (heir went to UBrite for drama and is now exploring Get Famous as an actor, and his brother attended Foxbury and made a Servo he now lives with in San Muyshuno)

Those are just examples of how I've made (a cherry picked few) legacy rules work for myself when I've found myself getting bored and quitting previous legacy attempts, besides the ones I somehow managed (seriously, how did I? I may never know). Other simmers who actually manage to get through legacies according to the rulebook (I bow to thee, you absolute legends) will be of better help in terms of the actual challenge, but I figured I'd share an alternative in case you're someone like me who needs more leniency, while benefitting from the structure and guidelines the rules provide.

TL;DR if the legacy challenge is intriguing as a concept, but you find yourself unable to stay motivated and inspired for long, consider being more forgiving and lenient with the rules and come up with your own to better fit your playstyle and what you enjoy.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    I think the problem I have is that if you play "properly" the traits are randomised and I randomise aspirations as well and then I don't get as good a sense of who I want each sim to be. That's why I was thinking of picking a theme.
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Mine's been going for about two years, and the secret? I genuinely don't know. Pride in my family and their achievements, I guess?
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
    That's fair. If being more hands-on about their traits and aspirations would help keep you invested I'd say go for it. I myself randomise all traits and childhood aspirations, but by the time my sims enter their teens I usually pick their aspiration based on the traits they've received or what I think would fit them, or simply by what I want to play through. I will occasionally randomise it if I don't have preferences at the time, but ending up with, say, the vampire family aspiration when I really don't feel like messing with vampires it will just end up being a drag and I'd much rather do that aspiration with a sim that fits at a time when I do want to explore vampires again.

Really just mess around with the playstyle and rules and see what works best for you.
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    I picked the Decades Challenge as my legacy base. I love history and so I focused on making each generation/decade as close to historically accurate as I could. That made each generation different, added new challenges, and provided storylines (like war or technology or cultural developments).

That said, I hit a wall in my 4th/5th generation. They had maxed out money and I was bored. But then the Great Depression came and the family lost all their money. That made it interesting and I actually grew quite connected to the heir. They started from nothing and worked hard to rebuild their lives. It was fun and was just the jolt my legacy needed.

I have now finished the legacy and am making up new rules for the ‘future’ to have fun with so I can keep the family going :smiley:
    @ThePinkBookGirl Oh, I will definitely start implementing decade/history specific themes to my saves now, thank you for sharing that. The great depression idea in particular will come in handy once my sims in my current save have more money than they know what to do with, especially considering I thoroughly enjoy the struggle of making ends meet and making due with very little.
    I was thinking about slowly increasing the technology with every generation.
  • asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    I used to be the same, and could never get past gen 3 or 4. But I'm now on gen 23, and I can't imagine going back to anothe rway of playing, or even starting another save. I think the key is to mix it up a bit and not play by the actual 'rules' of the legacy challenge. The only rule I have is that my next heir is the first born child of the current sim. But they can move out to wherever they like, and I change between randomising traits and choosing my own, depending on how I feel. I've also found that keeping the aging on Normal helps things to feel quite flowy, in that I have enough time to enjoy my sim but by the time my new heir ages up to YA I take over and make that one my new main sim. (I have lengthened the age using MCCC since university, just so there's time for uni and a family, otherwise the parents kept dying when the new sims were children or teens.

I think the key for me, is to keep each new generation different, and let them be whatever I want. So, if I am getting bored and want something different I like to randomise everything, to turn them into a sim that I might never normally play (and it takes you to discover parts of the game that arent played very often), or sometimes I'll have an idea for a sim that I really want to play, so instead of starting a new save, I keep that idea for my next gen, and then create that sim. So although I have a legacy, each generation feels like a new save and a different game. One tip I would give you is to try and take a family photo of each generation, and save them somewhere - it's really fun to look back on your whole story and remember all of your sims and how they all fit together :smile:
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    A legacy has been something on my mind for a while now, so I've been trying to make my own legacy style . For me I try to keep a little rule book and create, update and remove the rules as I go until I find a good balance.

I do things like name the kids using the first letter of their parents names and go from there. My gay and lesbian Sims adopt NPC children which is really fun. Sims who "Hate Children" are more or less the Sims that won't have children and that is fun in its own way because then I have to decide who ends up with them if anyone.

I use a randomization app to randomize choices like aspirations, traits, skills and career points. I also assign Sims (randomized of course) "chosen" skills. I really like this a lot but what it means is that if a Sim completes a chosen skill then they are rewarded with the option of buying a reward trait. Same goes with completing an Aspiration or Career.

My other tip is really stylize each household. Make them feel different than each other that way each time you play a new household it feels new and fresh.

What I haven't quite figured out is aging. I know I need to let them grow up and age and die but it's hard!

My Willowbrook has 13 households. 5 are my legacy families and the rest except one are the next generation of those legacies.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I'm making each generation a different decade and theming their clothes, personalities, and jobs as much as I can without mods/CC. It's a fun challenge. I'm in the 20s right now and running a "speakeasy" out of my legacy mansion basement
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    I have only been able to finish the Not so Berry legacy challenge - I think because it has set goals for each generation and some backstory.

I have just started another legacy without realizing that I was at first. Since University came out, I had the Pancakes have a kid and sent him to uni and he married Olivia Kim-Lewis and they had a child and so did the same with their child (grew up and sent to uni) and am continuing on like that. I am also only using premade sims (or their children that I separately have to raise to young adult) as spouses (I play with aging off so none of them will die along the way) and am making the rounds town by town - I hope to eventually be able to have every premade family involved in this uni challenge by the time I am done. I think I just have to have a goal that keeps me interested and my goal is educating the masses and am up to gen 4 so far!
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited December 2019
    I am the same way OP. I get to gen. 5 and just get bored. I've only been able to finish one legacy to gen. 10 ever in my many attempts. The secret to that one was not having any other saved games at the same time. Also I allowed myself breaks, even long ones, between the 5th gen. and 6th gen. Those two things really helped me finally finish a legacy, even if it did take awhile, by not forcing myself to play it when I didn't want to but also having that save be the only one I could play when I did.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,848 Member
    I havent done a typical legacy mine ended at six, I just had bad luck with that family getting corrupt while other sims used in the same save were fine and all my new sims or other saves were fine.

I only took the most basic rule of creating a poor situation for a couple instead of a single sim and grew on that. You find little things to keep it going with long term goals of your choice dont just copy the first gen play around with what you think is allowed.

Like hundred baby which if you go the group way and every mother has a certain number of kids before the next gen in the same family. Take out rules that could bore you and take breaks from sims or just have an extra save file to play whatever works.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
    Thanks all for your comments. I might try again in the new year. :)
    Good luck for when you do. I'm sure you'll find a way that works for you!
  • AssimuloAssimulo Posts: 1,322 Member
    I too have to find a way to make things interesting for a full legacy. Usually though I just play as many generations as possible in different houses. I never really build the mansion over 10 generations. I've never really finished one.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    It is easy if you have a goal for each generation.
  • JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    I don't really like legacy style but I have a save where I'm at the eight generation. For me I guess the trick is to not play that save all the time. I have several saves, including a building save and a save with aging of that consist of my favourite sims.

I played in my legacy save for the first time in six months yesterday because I finally felt like it. Now I'm gonna wait a little though as the heir is halfway to YA (and I'm a bit bored) and I want her to be the test sim for when I get university XD

Maybe you shouldn't play rotationally with the legacy? Because that to me sounds super boring so I'm thinking maybe that's one of the reasons you don't enjoy it? Because it's the same family essentially.
    I'd say the best thing to do is just not play the save if you get bored. You'll get back to it eventually, probably, maybe - hehe.
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
    edited December 2019
    Maybe you shouldn't play rotationally with the legacy? Because that to me sounds super boring so I'm thinking maybe that's one of the reasons you don't enjoy it? Because it's the same family essentially.

I think you may be right. I almost always rotate between households in my saves and perhaps it would be more fun to let the non-heir descendants forge their own path for a change once they have aged up and moved out.
  • fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    Like others have said My Legacy save is just that my own, loosely following the rules, very loosely. Personally I will get bored if the traits randomize to a sim I hate. What I do is when it's time to do my current heirs traits, I look at how she, or he was as a toddler, and pick the child trait accordingly, the teen trait is derived from their personality as a child, if they were studious, or outgoing, or outdoorsy, etc... and then their young adult trait I usually pick a quirky one like clumsy, or klepto, or squeamish, etc...
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited December 2019
    I think I’ve blown through 25+ generations by now with 330 Sims, all starting with 4-6 random Sims I created. The very first one was named Harding Costain 😂 My town is still swimming in Costains, Sterlings, Solittos, and Trevelians. I occasionally add in a few new randos when needed. Each family line usually has their “thing;” like the Costains are fresh-faced, beach-loving prepsters and the Solittos like to doll up in lots of makeup and wear all black.

I pick one household as a favorite and usually play them most of the time until another favorite strikes my fancy. Usually it’s one that inspires me to try a new career, hobby, town, type of house, or maybe a particular couple just seems cute together. Right now all the favorites are wealthy Sulani beach dwellers that like to gloat about their illustrious Britechester degrees 😂

I play with aging on for everybody. Along the way, I hop around to other branches of the family tree to make matches and woo hoo to keep the family line going. Also, when anyone ages up into a kid, I go CAS their household so they match the family theme. It’s cool to have a bustling ecosphere of Sims with unique looks and personalities, but at first glance I still know who is who!
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited December 2019
    I was wondering how those of you who love playing legacy style manage to stick with it through so many generations. I have done it, but I think it was years ago when I was still playing Sims 3. Usually I get to generation 4 or 5 before getting bored. What is the best way to do it? Pick a theme? Pick goals for each generation? I wouldn't bother with a points system or anything but I'd like to do it again for sure. I usually play rotationally, including the younger children of the household and all their descendants but I use MCCC so I could definitely play with just the heirs if I so wished.

4 or 5? Generation 2 hardly gets to be toddlers before I quit :D

Edit: However, I am planning a Not-So-Berry for 2020, so maybe I'll have some tips after that. I think it'll work well because it allows you to cheat if you need it, there are set goals for each generation, and skipping generations if you don't have packs is pretty easy. I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope now...
    funny-gifs20.gif

• SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hm... I am on the 3:rd generation of the longest legacy that I have played currently and I am having a lot of fun with it. Guess I have different saves for different experiences. The legacy-save for family time with some added vampirism and spellcasting on the side. Then I have other saves that are not centered around family where I go after different stories. It is nice to vary what I am doing a bit, after 2 real life weeks of playing Uni it is nice to go back to the family-save.

A bit like reading different books, when I feel like Sci-Fi I get one of those, if I want action or comedy I know where to find it. Just trying to figure out what I really want to do before I start the game so that I pick the right save.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member

I have played Pinstar's Legacy Challenge in Sims2,3 and 4. Legacies, on the whole can get boring. And this one is over once the tenth generation heir is born! To slog through can be painful, but I decided to create certain goals for my heir to achieve and basically tell a story as I play it through. Sometimes, just finding the right spouse is enough to provide the needed entertainment. I was blessed in that, once again, I experienced many 'firsts' in my game via playing the Legacy Challenge. First successful alien abduction, making my young groom preggars, along with this wife on their wedding night. She had a girl, and then several hours later, he gave birth to twins; a girl and a boy. Needed the boy as an heir. Then, of course there were subsequent abductions. Since the Dad/Mom didn't come back preggars, I wove that into my story that the aliens were just checking on the progress of the twins. Certainly, their father wasn't inclined to send them back.

It all boils down to this. Have fun with it. Don't make it a grind. If you get too bored to play, start a new game save and play that for a time, just don't forget about your legacy save.

Unabashed plug: https://galacticgals.blogspot.com/2014/09/chapter-one-eriks-choice.html
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top