Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How often do you live in an apartment?

13...Next

Comments

• troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited December 2019
    delete plz
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I have a big rotational save, and I think I have about 8 families in apartments, around 1/5 of them. I also converted the student housing in Britechester to apartments, but so far only have one family there. I try to choose their homes based on their personalities, if they're the artsy or tech-geek types I tend to put them in apartments, families with outdoorsy, active & rocket science sims usually get the houses, especially the ones with the big yards. I also try to give households with dogs the houses, but I do have one living in an apartment. I also have a few outdoorsy sims stuck in apartments, sometimes it's the family they're born into, what they can afford & where I can find the space for them.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I use the apartments a lot. I love it.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,941 Member
    edited December 2019
    I often make my small families live in apartments but lately I haven't played with them since I started legacy kinda thing with ancient vampires that dunno what apartment is
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    @troshalom I did not know it was based of Honkong, but cool to know^^
    I guess I have read somewhere it was based of San Francisco and since I have never been out of Europe, I believed it :)
    edited December 2019
    Simsandra wrote: »
    I guess I have read somewhere it was based of San Francisco and since I have never been out of Europe, I believed it :)

Welp @Simsandra it reminds of Hong Kong. I had the pleasure to vacation there, and immediately San Myshuno reminded me of Hong Kong, not San Francisco. And I think the nod to Karaoke bars and all of the Asian names of many of the Sims & NPCs City Living are a nod to an Asian city not a USA city. Even if San Myshuno is an amalgamation of Asian cities.

Here are some pic comparisons that makes me think it is more akin to Hong Kong than any USA city.

San Myshuno
    30804338835_11e7f2a53e_b.jpg

Hong Kong
    5779986.jpg

San Myshuno
    3QTEb_scsqVgwxD-roSYAvZcDCIkKAdp8qJgniLidwk.jpg?s=d5fb8910e31fe322ff86812043b7b669e8f107f4

Hong Kong
    HERO_Ultimate_HongKong_dreamstime_68784072.jpg

San Myshuno
    TS4_CONCEPT_BLOG_FashionDistrict_02.jpg

Hong Kong
    33e8237d24f476104abaa413d9b1929a.jpg

7871461070_82ce7ab9b0_b.jpg
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    I have times when I only play in the city. SM, Brindleton Bay, and Sulani are my favorite neighborhoods. I use all kinds of families too. I tend to use the smaller apartments though. I do have one 2/2 that could have been made a 3/2 but I wanted the twins in the same room. I always knock down walls and rebuild though. The roach and mouse infested one with the chalk outline on the floor is my absolute favorite apartment. I either do a 1/1 or a 2/1. I just love that it is so run down!
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,957 Member
    edited December 2019
    I play rotationally and have several households in apartments. Small families mostly, single sims, or parent/grandparent with one child, new couples, etc. I believe 4 sims is the most I have in a single apartment currently. It is good for those that are not into growing food and those that may not want to cook a lot, but like socializing. I plan on getting University soon, and want to try roommates in one of the larger apartments. Since some apartments are pretty small, I renovated the karaoke lot in the spice festival with a toddler playground underneath it and a laundry mat down there too. There are swings and a little play area with a sandbox outside the karaoke bar. I also have a scout area above the karaoke bar. It is multi functional.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited December 2019
    troshalom wrote: »

Welp @Simsandra it reminds of Hong Kong. I had the pleasure to vacation there, and immediately San Myshuno reminded me of Hong Kong, not San Francisco. And I think the nod to Karaoke bars and all of the Asian names of many of the Sims & NPCs City Living are a nod to an Asian city not a USA city. Even if San Myshuno is an amalgamation of Asian cities.

It has inspirations from all over. The Spice District is very clearly New York, for example (those brick houses surrounding the square are right out of any New York Sitcom or cop show, for those who has not been there but want references). The Art District is the most West Coast of all of them. Finance feels Hong Kong to me and Fashion has an odd mix of feel, but mostly specifically Japanese, not Chinese / Hong Kong (the large Zen garden, the Karaoke bar, the design of the apartment buildings.

When it comes to festivals the Spice Festival is also a mix of influences; half the dishes are Asian yes, but there is also a heavy Cajun and Tex Mex feel to some of them. And the music played is very much Southern US, for example.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • AssimuloAssimulo Posts: 1,322 Member
    edited December 2019
    I might've already commented on this thread, but I'm going to update based on recent experience. I love the apartments. They bring a challenge to the game play. I'm playing a 4 sim family right now in a tiny apartment in the spice district. It's the one on the ley line. My sims had twins and now they're trying to save up for a bigger apartment or house. I even throw regular parties for holidays and birthdays with tons of sims crammed into the tiny apartment. I have it decorated nicely, but they're all cramped in there. The festivals are really fun too. The flea market is one of my favorites because of all the collectibles you can find there with little to no effort. The spice festival is fun too, I like having my sims eat all the food and collect recipes. It has a warm and inviting cookout vibe. With the Romance festival it's so easy to seduce a sim and get married on a whim that it's funny. The spice district though is one of my favorite places to live so far. So lively and homey, especially with the constantly present food stalls and basketball court/playground. There's even a few fishing spots in the background on the docks.
    troshalom wrote: »

It has inspirations from all over. The Spice District is very clearly New York, for example (those brick houses surrounding the square are right out of any New York Sitcom or cop show, for those who has not been there but want references). The Art District is the most West Coast of all of them. Finance feels Hong Kong to me and Fashion has an odd mix of feel, but mostly specifically Japanese, not Chinese / Hong Kong (the large Zen garden, the Karaoke bar, the design of the apartment buildings.

When it comes to festivals the Spice Festival is also a mix of influences; half the dishes are Asian yes, but there is also a heavy Cajun and Tex Mex feel to some of them. And the music played is very much Southern US, for example.

@Beardedgeek nah the spice district is not NYC. Those shows about NYC are sets and half of them aren't right. Plus NYC doesn't have a spice district, we have a garment district, a finance district, broadway, china town, delancy street where you haggle, diamond district, but nope no spice district. -- those types of buildings can be anywhere, but they can also be the older part of Hong Kong. And not Tex Mex. Yeah, they like jalepenos down here in Texas but nope. I can see some cajun influence, but folks in Louisana don't eat with chopsticks. Meanwhile, in China I saw a woman carve an entire chicken with chopsticks better than a man in the US with knives. That music didn't remind me of Zydeco music though, but mostly I remember the music from the Romance festival, which is distinctly East Asian.

But yeah, Hong Kong and Asian cities are the influence "MyShuno" -- don't get swayed by the San part of it (teehee)

I'm sticking with Asia. Yes NYC, Hawaii, and Cali has lots of Asians and their influences affect the cultures of those areas, but there is nothing like the real deal. So, I'm sticking with Chinese, Japenese and Korean cities, with the biggest influence being Hong Kong. 😝

But all in fun and tongue in check, honestly I don't know what the sim guru team were using as influences. But, when I first played City Living I was immediately transported to Hong Kong, so it will always be like that to me. Whether it is the glitzy new skyscrapers, the skywalks, the tram, huge subway stations, laser shows, continual fire work shows or the older style colonial buildings (that look like the spice district) it will forever be Hong Kong to me. (SimGuru don't burst my bubble 🤗)
  • KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member
    I don't often put Sims in apartments because of the noisy neighbors. They're constantly noisy even on the lots without the noisy neighbor trait.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    San Myshuno reminds me so much of San Francisco, but I've been there lots of times and have never been to Hong Kong. I love how it can be whatever we want it to be.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I don't like living there. apartments are always going to be a disappointment in the sims 4. I do visit it, it ends there.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    I used to start with an apartment all the time, and some times I even had my sims move back to an apartment. I enjoyed having neighbors (although it was annoying when they kept my sim from sleeping with loud parties, fighting or WooHoo), and it was good to know exactly how much they had to pay every month. However, I eventually changed my mind since the so called ultra speed didn't make much difference since there's so much going on outside, and if there was a festival going on until 3 or whatever, it would take time until it switched to actual ultra speed when they went to bed. I always have them live in houses now, since it goes a little bit faster, I just have to avoid having too much fancy and expensive stuff so the bills won't get too crazy (still makes no sense to me, but it is what it is).
  • Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    I use apartments all the time, I have remodeled most of them and added bedrooms to many to make them family friendly.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • JAYSIMMS2004JAYSIMMS2004 Posts: 31 Member
    If the family has a toddler or toddlers then I move them into an apartment because it's hard for toddlers to use the stairs in a house.
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    I hate flats and buildings but I got some of my sims who live in town.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    I LOVE apartments. I live in LA so I really am in love with the CL aesthetic.

My only down-side is I don't like that you can't get rid of mice and cockroaches in certain apartments (i tried all the hacks. EA has prevented them from working any longer). You can live in a cheap apartment and not get cockroaches, you know!
  • SiggDiggitSiggDiggit Posts: 145 Member
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    I use them a lot. I often start my YA Sims off there, and have them save up to buy a house. Now that University is out, they go from their parents house > dorm > apartment, then buy a house once they are ready for their own family.
    I actually really love the apartments. I originally fell in love with it while playing Sims City on console. I use them rather frequently, especially for Sims just starting out, trying to make it big, or those I feel would prefer city life to the suburbs.

This sums it up perfectly for me, lol. <3
    2f8164094dfe843e371b34f5333b4dff1d96e006.jpg
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    I frequently use apartments because San Myshuno is one of my top three worlds. I usually start my young adult sims there, then sometimes move them to a more suburban world in their middle age.
  • Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    I love apartments but no good b lister celeb with bunch nosey at door disturb her romance with her boyfriend. so thinking of moving her nice house so she private life without lurkers watching or pic of her. san myshuno is a great city but not a good idea for celeb in making haha.
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr