Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The strangest thing happened

ilikethesims30ilikethesims30 Posts: 556 Member
I tried to send my Sims off on vacation. I wait for it to load, fell asleep. I woke up expecting them to be in their vacation world, but instead it was the main menu. What was that about?
Post edited by ilikethesims30 on

Comments

• GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    Are you sure you didn't accidentally hit the main menu button?
  • ilikethesims30ilikethesims30 Posts: 556 Member
    Are you sure you didn't accidentally hit the main menu button?

Maybe? :#
    It happened yet again. I was wide awake this time. Seriously, what causes this?!
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    You didn't really give much information. From where to where do you travel, do you use mods that help with this, etc.?
    Turjan wrote: »
    You didn't really give much information. From where to where do you travel, do you use mods that help with this, etc.?

I tried to do this, in order to stop or least lessen the dreaded error 12....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB_FMUR5BNg

....and it worked, I think.

But I go to play the game--and 2 of my saves ended with the Sims being in another world--and the Sims are back in SimMeapolis. They weren't in the last time I played the game. One time, they were in Barcelona. Then the other save I tried were in Paris.

Then I tried to send them off to another world or the same worlds. But all of a sudden, I go back to main menu. At first, I thought I did it by accident. But it happened again and I know it wasn't an accident. I don't know how it happened.

Has this ever happened to any of you?
    edited December 2019
    Well, I don't use that method described in that video, and honestly, I'm not sure what that is supposed to achieve. Bad saves (those that end on the extension "bad") should be completely deleted, anyway. Cleaning out your savegames should involve deleting all the snapshots in there. Kuree's Save Cleaner is the easier way to do that, although you can also do that by hand with S3PE, but that's slightly involved.

Traveling without mods that help keep your savegames in check, like ErrorTrap and Overwatch, is a bit futile. Traveler is the mod to use to make traveling much more reliable. All of these are NRaas mods.

A general recommendation is to make a save directly before you travel, completely exit the game, restart the game and that save again, skip saving when you embark on the travel. Also, save again after arrival and do the same thing again. That gives your system more RAM to work with, as Sims3 has issues with releasing RAM after it grabbed it for some reason.

Finally, I'm not sure whether some of the worlds you mentioned aren't just too big. Nobody wants to step on toes of people who have clearly poured lots of work and passion into their worlds, but these worlds are just too big to be playable for any longer period of time. I'm not sure about the specific worlds you mentioned, as I haven't tried those yet, so ask around. At least Barcelona was recently mentioned as causing issues in this regard.
    Which world are you trying to travel to? If its a custom world, perhaps the world itself is corrupted and can't load properly.
    Which world are you trying to travel to? If its a custom world, perhaps the world itself is corrupted and can't load properly.

I tried to travel to Barcelona one time. The second time, I tried Paris. Both custom worlds.

I tried to travel to Barcelona one time. The second time, I tried Paris. Both custom worlds.

Barcelona has issues.As pretty as the world is, whenever my sim traveled there, once the world loaded the family was gone and I was stuck on map view and have to hard boot the game.

Try traveling to one of the game's destinations: Egypt, China or France, and see if it does.If it doesn't, then its most likely a custom world.At that point try traveling to a different custom world and if that loads fine, then its that particular world.
    I still got a bad save traveling to the regular game vacation world. UGH! I don't know what else to do....
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Your path to proper gameplay at this point may be to declare this ongoing game (as it now is) a loss and start over. That could mean a totally fresh start with all new sims or some combination of fresh worlds with sims from the current one extracted by way of the Household Bin in Edit Town replaced elsewhere. Personally I would first want to test the game with all of mods and CC you have in place in a known to be gentle to play world such as Sunset Valley, Riverview, or Twinbrook to rule out content issues that may be extending across all saves. And I would try to avoid particular custom worlds that are already known to cause issues for so many players or that are never going to work properly with Traveler.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    What about a Factory Reset?
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    A factory reset in addition to or instead of starting over in different worlds? A factory reset would remove the custom worlds you are currently playing. If you reinstall them with the intent of playing these saves forward, and the underlying custom worlds themselves are part of the problem, isn't that just going to lead to re-creating the problem soon down the road?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Total Annihilation?
    edited December 2019
    Did you actually clean your saves with something like Kuree's SaveCleaner? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere. I have to do that all the time to avoid error 12's.

Also, travel from town view and don't watch your sims.

The issue may also just lie in the lot where your family lives. The usual stuff, too much stuff in personal inventories, in other storage places, a big garden, etc. My main family is due for a clean-up. If I play a townie family with little stuff, everything's peachy. My travels out of town also take much too long, something like 30 minutes. Coming back is done in about 10 minutes. Which means that the issue is often related to the world you travel from, not necessarily the one you travel to.
    Post edited by Turjan on
  • AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    Maybe I´m not helpful at all, but how are your option settings?
    If I travel to a big world or a world which is in play for a long time, I have to lower all my game options to the minimum, otherwise I´ll get Error 12 when saving right after the travel. And I always prepare my family for travel, then save, quit the game, load it again and travel, like @Turjan already suggested. And traveling lasts longer in saves in which I travel to very old (playwise) towns, sometimes more than 45 min.
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    edited December 2019
    If you want to investigate further instead of jumping to abandon the save, you could try starting a new save and then traveling. If that works, you can keep testing to see if specific destinations cause it, but you still might have a major problem in your current save.

[Edited because the last clause did not make sense with the original clause before it.]
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
    s3pe. Who knew such a glorious thing existed? Well, I guess you all did :smiley: .
    s3pe. Who knew such a glorious thing existed? Well, I guess you all did :smiley: .
    Yup. I just cleaned out more than 90 MB of images out of my TravelDB.package yesterday.