Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hiatuses help me reboot. How about you?

I've just finished two households with a total of 4 Sims getting degrees and pushing the boundaries on their careers. As the final Sim in the last household was nearing graduation, both parents died and just to keep things potentially interesting, I had the ghosts rejoin the household. (meh) I was just struggling to find something of interest, something ~new~, a different twist to just get this last Sim through university...Finally achieved. Now that I've played in the islands, uni, etc. it is clear I need a reboot. Generally, that has been putting the game away for months at a time. How do you recharge?

Comments

• Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I haven’t played since the spring. And I’ve had similar breaks throughout TS4’s life where I either have other stuff going on or I just don’t feel compelled to play.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Same here, there are periods of time that I just don't feel like playing. When University came out I did play it for a few days mainly because I was curious about what this pack added, but before that I checked the last time I really played the game was back in September of this past year. But there have also been other times I found other things that I would rather be doing, and I'm currently at that points. I'll start up, only to play for 5 minutes then turn it off again.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited December 2019
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    I'll start up, only to play for 5 minutes then turn it off again.

This pretty much sums up my experience lately. When I last played, around April-May-ish, I spent a decent amount of time in CAS, but then once I got into live mode I lost interest quickly.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I couldn't play the same game day in and day out year round. Sometimes I don't touch Sims 4 for several months. I have a handful of other games (or a new game comes along) that I like to play, and usually my inspiration for one of those has returned by the time I've lost interest in Sims 4 and vice versa.

My best advice: Acknowledge that your mind needs diversion and don't try to force yourself to play when you don't feel like it. Nothing will be lost, your Sims won't do a thing while you're away - and you won't miss out on anything you can't catch up to at a later date. I'm saying this because I personally can get a compulsive urge to play a game just to discover that it's become more habit than enjoyment.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    KruegerKrueger Posts: 130 Member
    I always have to take a break. When I was youngun and playing Sims 2, I could easily play year round. But as I got older it just wasn't possible anymore. People crave variety, and that's fine. Although, funnily enough, I'm kind of like you; my breaks usually come after I get a new pack and play around with everything new feature I can think of for a few days. I think that sort of intense play when I usually only go for an hour or two at a time wears me down quicker.
  • Options
    CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I'm imagining things and fun things to play in s4, but once I enter the sims4, I quit. I no longer compelled to do anything, last time I had fun was when Island Living released but it was just for mere hours. I might uninstalled the game to save some space until new traits or personality update released (if theres any)
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited December 2019
    I havn't been compelled to play for a while now either. I'm honestly just waiting for a game changing update like Toddlers to come around again to spark some inspiration. Other than that I've been focusing more on creating myself a save file filled with new builds and households, so most of my time is spent in CAS or Build mode.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I tend to play intensely for a while then take a break for weeks or months when I get bored.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Sadly, it doesn't work for me. Once I stopped doing something, it gets hard to get back into things.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I take breaks at times and have since I started playing. I just get too busy at times but I generally come back.

In the past few weeks, I was pretty busy as well. In the past few months, it has been a good way to deal with stress.

My game in the way that I've set it up is generally fun so I'm interested in it even if at times I lose interest in certain households. I've almost considered removing a few of them from my game but then I make myself play with them to see if they get more interesting and they usually do. At a certain point, I'll cut ones who don't manage to interest me enough.

I've got other things going on but I enjoy TS4. I'm still likely to play in phases.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    This has been my experience during the life of Sims 4. I will play for a couple days to try out the newest pack I get. Then I get bored when it doesn't hold my attention. I go back to Sims 2 which I can play all day if I have nothing to do. I am honestly trying to enjoy DU since college gameplay has been what I love since it was added to the series. I just really haven't had the time to sit and play an entire day all the way through.
  • Options
    alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    i definitely take hiatuses every once in a while to recharge. they could last several months or a week. sometimes i find myself becoming obsessed with the game again and i play for weeks on end, and a hiatus usually comes after that stage
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »
    Sadly, it doesn't work for me. Once I stopped doing something, it gets hard to get back into things.

Maybe it's a sign that the activity in question just wasn't interesting enough? That's legit.

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »

Maybe it's a sign that the activity in question just wasn't interesting enough? That's legit.

Yes, exactly. Which is playing the Sims 4. 😂
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Yes, exactly. Which is playing the Sims 4. 😂
    *Scratches back of head*

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,566 Member
    I used to play for small spurts of time when Sims 4 was first released. I was still missing the ability for our Sims to sing, which meant I wouldn't with any real sense of satisfaction, have my singer Sim back. I missed the toddlers, too. Then voila they were downloaded via a patch by surprise. The thing that has got me simming every day again, however, is GF and the mod Road to Fame, which enhances GF, allowing for said singer Sim to make a full return to the stage. I've had my ups and downs, mishaps, deaths, corruption of a game save, you name it, it's happened. I just get up off of the floor, dust myself off and start anew. I'm a writer and sometimes a revision is required. When it comes to a total restart, that's called a Redraft in the field of writing. And, sometimes that's the best way to carry a story forward when it goes completely awry. I view my restarts as such. I also know that the same things will not happen in the new game. Things rarely, if ever, play out the same way and that can be a blessing in disguise.

I was experimenting with another new mod that kept me attuned to my four siblings while they were grinding their way through uni, all in the same university, same dorm room, but seeking different degrees. The youngest of the four, and the only daughter in the family, was kidnapped via that new mod. But, there was a problem with said mod. I found out it's buggy and that's why no matter what, I was stuck in a vicious cycle that I have called a tape-loop. There was no way to resolve the kidnapping issue. Unfortunately, using Summon Sim to bring her back and the game cheat reconnecting her to her family (which may have been a mistake on my part) borked my game saves. I know, because there was suddenly no UI to access. I couldn't get onto their lot for love or money and the game became unplayable. I tried creating a brand new game save after doing the repair game option. That new save was just fine, but not the old saves. So, I deleted my old saves folder in favor of an empty new one. I set up the neighborhoods with venues I knew my singer Sim would need to use. NewCrest is a hubbub of lounges, Karaoke bars, concert venues and eateries. Then I placed a copy of my family their skills intact (thank you MCCC) and began anew. Yes, Erik isn't rising as quickly as he's done in the past, but that's okay, too. This is a redraft and we'll see if the four of them, when the time comes, can get through uni, unscathed this time. Yes, I removed the buggy mod and look forward to a fixed version. I liked having a Sword of Damocles hanging over the heads of Sim. There's a certain thrill of adrenaline never knowing what shoe might drop, next.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    maicemaice Posts: 167 Member
    I take a lot of breaks. I haven't actually played the game for more than a few minutes since October... And prior to that I would take months off - or only go in to build. I'm not sure what helps me recharge. I do know that what makes me want to play again is rereading my stories. I love writing them, it makes my sims seem more real when they have personalities and wants and stuff.

Even though I don't really like the way content is being released, I think that's helped a lot too. When I was playing my challenge I started with only Outdoor Retreat, but as I slowly added new things, it helped keep the game hopping. I'm at a point where I don't think I can play the game unless I am playing a challenge, though, I just get too bored.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    I try to play other games, I have played the game since release so I try to play other games because it's hard to find anything new and fun to do in a 5 year old game.

When I play it, I mostly start it up, then I go into CAS and create some sims while I'm watching Youtube.