Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do Degrees impact Freelance Careers?

So I want to try the Fashion Photographer Freelance career that came in Moschino Stuff but I want my Sim to get a relevant degree first.

The game says a Fine Art degree will help in this career path, but my question is how? For regular careers, you get a boost and start on a higher level, but how does that work if you’re in a Freelance career?

Anybody know?

Comments

• storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    edited December 2019
    So I haven't tried this out, but my guess is higher initial pay, the signing bonus, increased performance + easier promotions. And when your Sim maxes the career, easier raises.

For example, my Sim is a Marine Biologist, Master of the Sea I think the highest rank is called, and she gets a raise now like... every third day she goes to work. It's kind of insane, she makes like $600+ an hour lol.

Like I said, I haven't actually tested this with a freelance career myself, but I think degrees only exclude the part-time and odd jobs, as well as running businesses (like with C&D or GTW), and "self-employment" (gardening, painting, etc.).

ETA: clarification
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    storyy wrote: »
    So I haven't tried this out, but my guess is higher initial pay, the signing bonus, increased performance + easier promotions. And when your Sim maxes the career, easier raises.

For example, my Sim is a Marine Biologist, Master of the Sea I think the highest rank is called, and she gets a raise now like... every third day she goes to work. It's kind of insane, she makes like $600+ an hour lol.

Like I said, I haven't actually tested this with a freelance career myself, but I think degrees only exclude the part-time and odd jobs, as well as running businesses (like with C&D or GTW), and "self-employment" (gardening, painting, etc.).

ETA: clarification

Hmm could be.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Not sure myself, but I do have two sims in both freelance careers AND getting relevant University degrees. If I notice anything, I'll let you know.
    Not sure myself, but I do have two sims in both freelance careers AND getting relevant University degrees. If I notice anything, I'll let you know.

Cool, thanks
  • tegteg87tegteg87 Posts: 305 Member
    I had a sim do a fine arts degree - she did the distinguished one at UBrite and graduated with a B+ and joined the freelance fashion career. I can see no discernable difference to the gigs she has available so I don't think it actually does anything.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    tegteg87 wrote: »
    I had a sim do a fine arts degree - she did the distinguished one at UBrite and graduated with a B+ and joined the freelance fashion career. I can see no discernable difference to the gigs she has available so I don't think it actually does anything.

You have to join a separate career choice when you graduate. The careers will still list the "basic career" that starts at level 1 along with the titles of promoted positions that your degree granted you.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    It just seems like the game is a hodgepodge at this point. They keep creating new content that don't mesh with the content we already have.

Well that’s a bummer
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    It just seems like the game is a hodgepodge at this point. They keep creating new content that don't mesh with the content we already have.

Actually University combines more content together more than any other past pack. Literally every single skill and career from all packs is represented in the University experience. I assume all future skills and careers will be covered in some way. They also add club rules for content that comes out. I honestly feel Sims 4 does better than past iterations at making sure past content has different links together that make sense for gameplay. Get Famous allows multiple ways to get famous from base game features to various pack features. Yes, Sims 4 definitely does it best in my opinion.
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member

I never thought of the freelance careers to help with the money issues. Mine are born in game sims so their skills are decent and they got a few scholarships. One sim is still in his Comic career actually he got several promotions and he is not even finished his first semester.
    EA ID burnished_dragon
    edited December 2019
    verlainem wrote: »

I never thought of the freelance careers to help with the money issues. Mine are born in game sims so their skills are decent and they got a few scholarships. One sim is still in his Comic career actually he got several promotions and he is not even finished his first semester.

I don’t think you take full advantage of your degree if you’re already in that career. Like you won’t get the most salary or those bonuses. Someone correct me if I’m wrong...
  • tegteg87tegteg87 Posts: 305 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »

You have to join a separate career choice when you graduate. The careers will still list the "basic career" that starts at level 1 along with the titles of promoted positions that your degree granted you.

There wasn't the option - just the normal freelancer career and then the option to pick whether I wanted to be a fashion photographer, writer, progammer etc.
  • kusurusukusurusu Posts: 971 Member
    Artist/Photographer: Fine Arts
    Programmer: Computer Science
    Writer: Language & Literature

Performance boost of 13-24 (per gig), 25-40% more PTO, §32-41 bonus (in all four careers)
    values depend on degree type (dist/honors)
    My SuperSim Collection: Rosetta Stone · Sona Ali
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    I have Ryan in the Freelancer career as a videgame designer. If you have a sim reach the top(level-5) more than once they still get the award. He now has two awards and over $80,000 in the bank!
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • missdeefyingmissdeefying Posts: 10 New Member
    My apologies if this counts as necroing an old thread, but I haven't been able to find the information anywhere else.

Does anyone know if there's a degree that helps with Freelance Crafter for Eco Lifestyle?
    @missdeefying Fine Arts
  • missdeefyingmissdeefying Posts: 10 New Member
    @kusurusu Are you sure? I put her through Fine Arts and she got a signing bonus for Freelance Photographer, but not one for Freelance Crafter.
    What happens if you select Crafter first? You get signing bonus once per week only.