Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[Bootcamp] New Macbook Pro 2019 VSync + Screen Tearing

Hey everyone! So I recently upgraded to the 16" Macbook Pro 2019 and I love it, but I am having some issues that I did not experience on my old Macbook Pro 15" from 2017...Whenever I play the game (While it does run and look great), I experience slight screen tearing. I have tried tons of methods to stop this from happening, but for some reason nothing works. Even using the AMD Radeon graphics settings and changing the Vertical Refresh option to Always on in global settings seems to do nothing. Below are the specs to my computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

2.4GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
1TB SSD storage
16-inch Retina display with True Tone

Besides this issue, the game works great (so far) maybe I just will have to deal with it...

Thanks in advance!
FreshLion55 on the Gallery! Happy simming! >:)

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2019
    This kind of thing is very common, I have always had the same issues with the AMD cards on both my 2011 iMac (now just about retired) and my new 2019 one. Nvidia card users, regardless of bootcamp or PC, get to use Nvidia Inspector when this needs to be fixed. We can use RivaTuner Stats Server (RTSS) instead, alongside of the built-in Radeon Pro tools, to explicitly cap the fps to the refresh rate of our monitor which would be 60 Hz, so 60 fps. RTSS works in full screen or windowed mode, whereas vertical sync alone would only be effective in full screen.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html
    (note that the real downloads are 2/3 of the way down the page; ignore any in the upper right corner that might appear if you have no adblocker)

It's a pretty unusual program in that it has to be running alongside of the game to be effective, but it can be set to start up with Windows and uses next to no resources. Be sure to "minimize" it to the system tray rather than quitting it entirely after adjusting settings, it's easy to forget to do that.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    axel1015axel1015 Posts: 952 Member
    edited December 2019
    igazor wrote: »
    This kind of thing is very common, I have always had the same issues with the AMD cards on both my 2011 iMac (now just about retired) and my new 2019 one. Nvidia card users, regardless of bootcamp or PC, get to use Nvidia Inspector when this needs to be fixed. We can use RivaTuner Stats Server (RTSS) instead, alongside of the built-in Radeon Pro tools, to explicitly cap the fps to the refresh rate of our monitor which would be 60 Hz, so 60 fps. RTSS works in full screen or windowed mode, whereas vertical sync alone would only be effective in full screen.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html
    (note that the real downloads are 2/3 of the way down the page; ignore any in the upper right corner that might appear if you have no adblocker)

It's a pretty unusual program in that it has to be running alongside of the game to be effective, but it can be set to start up with Windows and uses next to no resources. Be sure to "minimize" it to the system tray rather than quitting it entirely after adjusting settings, it's easy to forget to do that.

Hey Igazor! Thanks so much for the help! I have attached an image of my RTSS (Dashboard?)...What would you recommend I set these things at? I have set it to 60fps, but I don't see an option for Vsync, maybe it's part of the FPS thing? Also quick question - what .exe should I be using? Is there a guide for 🐸🐸🐸🐸 like me for how this works? Thanks again!

jjvwme9.png

• Options
    axel1015 wrote: »

Hey Igazor! Thanks so much for the help! I have attached an image of my RTSS (Dashboard?)...What would you recommend I set these things at? I have set it to 60fps, but I don't see an option for Vsync, maybe it's part of the FPS thing? Also quick question - what .exe should I be using? Is there a guide for plum like me for how this works? Thanks again!

jjvwme9.png

To add to my previous message; the more detail, the better...I’ve never used any outside programs like this to help me make my game run, so if you could explain it to me like I’m 5, that would be so helpful :)
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    The executable to use is TS3.exe for Patch 1.69/Origin, but TS3w.exe (with the "w") for 1.67/Steam or disc without Origin. Otherwise the settings shown are fine, but if you switch on Show own statistics, then RTSS will display the actual frame rate for you in one of the corners of your screen while the game is running. You can adjust the size, color, and which corner using the zoom, palette, etc. settings around that. Or you could use TS3's own fps on cheat code, the same value gets displayed either way and this is the one we do not want rising above 60.

The third party tools do not do vertical sync, the Radeon Pro or other built-in tools still do that. RTSS forces the frame rate capping while still honoring the card's other built-in settings. So think of it as a "helper" for Radeon Pro, not a replacement for it.

If you still have screen tears, then you might check full screen vs windowed mode and also might need to fiddle with the frame rate limit a bit (try 61 or 59, etc.).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    The executable to use is TS3.exe for Patch 1.69/Origin, but TS3w.exe (with the "w") for 1.67/Steam or disc without Origin. Otherwise the settings shown are fine, but if you switch on Show own statistics, then RTSS will display the actual frame rate for you in one of the corners of your screen while the game is running. You can adjust the size, color, and which corner using the zoom, palette, etc. settings around that. Or you could use TS3's own fps on cheat code, the same value gets displayed either way and this is the one we do not want rising above 60.

The third party tools do not do vertical sync, the Radeon Pro or other built-in tools still do that. RTSS forces the frame rate capping while still honoring the card's other built-in settings. So think of it as a "helper" for Radeon Pro, not a replacement for it.

If you still have screen tears, then you might check full screen vs windowed mode and also might need to fiddle with the frame rate limit a bit (try 61 or 59, etc.).

Okay so I have been messing around with this a bit more and I am still experiencing screen tearing. I have tried to set the FPS limit slightly above/below 60 and nothing makes a difference (yes, I have the program running in the background) and I know that it's working because my fps aren't going any higher than what I have it set to, so at least that's working. I am under the impression that I am supposed to use RTSS and Radeon Pro in conjunction with one another, with RP forcing vsync and RTSS holding the frames, however it seems that RTSS is the only one pulling their weight. Any more suggestions or tricks I could try? Maybe I am missing a setting that needs to be changed. I've never experienced screen tearing in any of my MBP's before, so this is a new and unwelcome thing...Thanks again :disappointed:
  • Options
    It is possible that you are experiencing a side-effect of Win 10 and its Creators Updates than many players of older games on other newer cards, nothing really to do with Macs or Bootcamp, got a while back. Is your Win 10 install up to date with one of the two updated versions that came out in 2019? One was much earlier this year, the other was just a few weeks ago.

You can tell which version you have by typing winver into the search box on the toolbar although there are other ways to get at it as well if that doesn't work. Version 1909, for example, was released late in 2019. Version 18xx (where xx is anything) would be from over a year ago.

Does windowed mode vs. full screen make any difference or are the screen tears persistent on both?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    It is possible that you are experiencing a side-effect of Win 10 and its Creators Updates than many players of older games on other newer cards, nothing really to do with Macs or Bootcamp, got a while back. Is your Win 10 install up to date with one of the two updated versions that came out in 2019? One was much earlier this year, the other was just a few weeks ago.

You can tell which version you have by typing winver into the search box on the toolbar although there are other ways to get at it as well if that doesn't work. Version 1909, for example, was released late in 2019. Version 18xx (where xx is anything) would be from over a year ago.

Does windowed mode vs. full screen make any difference or are the screen tears persistent on both?

It says 1909, so I am assuming that means I am up to date. Screen tearing only persists in Full Screen, however when I go into windowed mode, the game is horribly laggy and stuttery, although no screen tearing...
  • Options
    Hmm. The lag and stutter thing shouldn't be happening. Are you running the game at a resolution that is different from the default one for your laptop? Does changing the base resolution of your computer change things any?

If you can get the game to run in a more stable manner and without the performance issues, you may want to stay in windowed mode and use this tool to make it look like full screen. It has helped many players on Win 10 who get screen tears and worse in full screen even after their frame rates are stabilized.
    https://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Hmm. The lag and stutter thing shouldn't be happening. Are you running the game at a resolution that is different from the default one for your laptop? Does changing the base resolution of your computer change things any?

If you can get the game to run in a more stable manner and without the performance issues, you may want to stay in windowed mode and use this tool to make it look like full screen. It has helped many players on Win 10 who get screen tears and worse in full screen even after their frame rates are stabilized.

So I went ahead and uninstalled my game and reinstalled it (Who knows, sometimes that helps) and still did the FPS things that you suggested - no dice, so I worked with some of my settings and things of that nature and windowed mode works fairly well! I get a steady 50-60fps which isn't bad at all, and the stutters and lag are no longer. To answer your question, yes I had it on the default resolution, however switching to the next one down did help some as well. I still have yet to add all my NRAAS mods (overwatch, error trap, etc...) so hopefully that will also lend to a smoother gameplay. I did try to download that Borderless Gaming program, but I get an error when I hit the download button...I will give it a shot tomorrow and once I get my game settled I will give an update. Maybe the screen tearing was because this computer has such high default resolution? I don't know lol! But I do appreciate your help and I will be giving you an update hopefully tomorrow so you can know what works in the event that someone else is in a similar position. Thank you so much again!
  • Options
    axel1015 wrote: »

So I went ahead and uninstalled my game and reinstalled it (Who knows, sometimes that helps) and still did the FPS things that you suggested - no dice, so I worked with some of my settings and things of that nature and windowed mode works fairly well! I get a steady 50-60fps which isn't bad at all, and the stutters and lag are no longer. To answer your question, yes I had it on the default resolution, however switching to the next one down did help some as well. I still have yet to add all my NRAAS mods (overwatch, error trap, etc...) so hopefully that will also lend to a smoother gameplay. I did try to download that Borderless Gaming program, but I get an error when I hit the download button...I will give it a shot tomorrow and once I get my game settled I will give an update. Maybe the screen tearing was because this computer has such high default resolution? I don't know lol! But I do appreciate your help and I will be giving you an update hopefully tomorrow so you can know what works in the event that someone else is in a similar position. Thank you so much again!

UPDATE:

After countless hours and days being plagued by the horrid screen tearing, I think I finally found a (semi) satisfactory solution. This solution was in the setting of Scanline Sync on RTSS. Thanks to Igazor for introducing me to this amazing program, I was able to do some research and found that RTSS has a setting called "Scanline Sync" that allows you to basically get the same effects (affects, I dont know and it's 11:11 (make a wish!)PM and I had a long day at work so I don't care)) as vsync. I still don't completely understand the process, but the gist of it is that it is a way to hide the "scanline" below your resolution so that you don't see it while playing. It's VERY finnicky and difficult to get the sweet spot, and I still haven't gotten it to go away completely (it is a small sliver at the top of my screen that I barley notice unless I am paying attention to it). I know, I'm rambling. If none of this makes sense, see the links at the end of this message for the guides that I followed. Below is basically what I did:

**This only works in fullscreen mode**

Step 1: Download RTSS

Step 2: Go to your TS3.exe (or TS3W.exe depending on which game version you have)

Step 3. Right click, select "properties"

Step 4. Select "Compatability"

Step 5. Make sure "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations" is ticked in the checkbox

Step 6. Select "Change high DPI Settings"

Step 7. Make sure "Override High DPI Scaling Behavior" is checked, with the dropdown menu saying "Application"

Step 8. Click Apply/Okay

Step 9. Open RTSS

Step 10. Do NOT enter anything in the FPS place. Make sure it says "0". When you have a value in scanline sync, your fps will automatically be set to 60 and will not go above it.

Step 11. Open your game

Step 12. Mess around (I would recommend by 10's) with the values of the Scanline Sync. You can go negative or positive. Mine works on -80. Ideally, you would want to keep doing this until the scanline goes off the screen and is no longer visible. You can do this WHILE the game is open. Simply tab out and switch to RTSS and/or hit the windows button to minimize the game.

Step 13. Once you find the sweet spot where the line goes away, you should be all set! You may notice a few initial lines/tearing spots when you first boot the game up, but after about 30 seconds, they'll go away and you should either only have the one that you can't get rid of like me, or none (if you have none then I have determined you are a witch)

Step 14. Enjoy!

**Note, Whenever you play your game, you MUST have RTSS running in the background for it to work.

Disclaimer: I am by NO MEANS an expert. This worked for me, and it may not work for you. If this messes up your computer or your game, that's on you. Take full responsibility when messing with your files. If I am doing something idiotic or completely wrong, please do let me know. I got this to work and wanted to share it in the event that another pathetic individual like myself is ripping their hair out with issues like this.

Links to the guides I followed:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/guide-how-to-use-rtsss-scanline-sync-to-reduce-stuttering-screen-tearing-and-input-lag-on-pc-alternative-to-vsync-g-sync-and-freesync.138764/

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/scanline-sync.423028/

As Igazor Said "(note that the real downloads are 2/3 of the way down the page; ignore any in the upper right corner that might appear if you have no adblocker)"

Gotta love The Sims 3! It's never easy with this game :(

Thanks again Igazor! You've been an INCREDIBLE help!!

• Options
    Wow. Good job on the research for scanline, and glad you had success with that method. And, since I can't resist but honestly I'm really trying, the word you wanted up there was "effects" so you had it right the first time. Enjoy your game, after you've had some rest! :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!