Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Did anyone else get this"You've redeemed an Origin Access Membership Code"

GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
I just received an email that says "You've redeemed an Origin Access Membership Code" I did not sign up for any sort of membership or anything that requires a code.What is this?

I use origin.
I can't afford to rebuy all my games for steam.
And my laptop does not have a cd drive so no disks for me either.

Comments

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Not seen anything from myself but I never trusted Origin so I would usually avoid anything from them.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    @king_of_simcity7
    I can't afford to rebuy all my games over again.
    All my sims games on Origin and I'm not willing to repay for something I already have just to have it on steam.
    And my laptop does not have a CD drive, so I can not get disks.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @GraceyManor All my games are hard copy. The only games I download are those from GOG. I would never buy the Sims without a hard copy
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @GraceyManor All my games are hard copy. The only games I download are those from GOG. I would never buy the Sims without a hard copy

I can't do hard copies either.My laptop does not have a CD drive.There's no where to stick hard copies.

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I got this email. I believe it’s to do with setting up security on your origin account. If you did that you got a free month of EA access. There was an announcement on the forums.
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited November 2019
    I got this email. I believe it’s to do with setting up security on your origin account. If you did that you got a free month of EA access. There was an announcement on the forums.
    Did anyone check whether the trial ends automatically or has to be actively cancelled?

I also got that trial access, even though I had just closed the offer window. This was handled as "accept" instead of "cancel", which surprised me somewhat.
  • EthyrdudeEthyrdude Posts: 268 Member
    @GraceyManor: I just received the same email.
    I'm waiting for an agent in chat right now, there is no way in h that I'm gonna pay a monthly subscription fee for something that I can play on my pc without being online. I feel this is EA's way of trying to railroading people into accepting a monthly fee. I subscribe to a lot of other companies (Steam, Epic to name just a few and all free) and I just can't afford to pay everyone for the "benefit" of providing them with business. I may love my sims but they'll be gone if I have to pay a monthly fee to play them.
    On a planet far, far away.
    I don’t wanna pay either.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited November 2019
    Turjan wrote: »
    Did anyone check whether the trial ends automatically or has to be actively cancelled?

I also got that trial access, even though I had just closed the offer window. This was handled as "accept" instead of "cancel", which surprised me somewhat.

When I checked, it says my membership ends on the 20th December.
    Well, as I said, I 'm waiting for an agent in chat to confirm or deny this, I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that it has to be cancelled manually. I'd just as soon not receive this offer so that there are no mistakes.
    Been digging some more, it states this and I will be keeping this in my records:

Membership Plan: Origin Access 1-month membership (non-recurring)
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2019

I can't do hard copies either.My laptop does not have a CD drive.There's no where to stick hard copies.
    If you keep saying that, some grumpy person or other here is going to suggest exactly where to...uhm know what, I'm not going to finish that sentence. >:):p

Portable external CD-ROM drives are very inexpensive. Not that I am suggesting you switch to a disc install for TS3, I've never owned any of the discs myself either as my installs have always been digital, but it is not impossible. Just sometimes not the most practical solution.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • desertrose0601desertrose0601 Posts: 114 Member
    igazor wrote: »

Portable external CD-ROM drives are very inexpensive. Not that I am suggesting you switch to a disc install for TS3, I've never owned any of the discs myself either as my installs have always been digital, but it is not impossible. Just sometimes not the most practical solution.

But rebuying the entire series on disc would be very expensive. I think that was his point.
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
  • tallcoolonetallcoolone Posts: 6,918 Member
    Thank you @SuzyCue72 for the link about verification and a "free" month of something I don't pay for. Is there a link to the announcement as well?
    I'm confused but I think this just begs the question, are they going to start charging for Origin access and when and how?
    My Page https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/tallcoolone
    Send me a friend request for Simport

• ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member

I can't do hard copies either. My laptop does not have a CD drive.There's no where to stick hard copies.
    If you keep saying that, some grumpy person or other here is going to suggest exactly where to...uhm know what, I'm not going to finish that sentence. >:):p

@igazor Usually I just hit awesome on your funny posts but that deserves a :rofl:

@GraceyManor You must admit you left yourself wide open for that. :lol: The fee is not a mandatory monthly fee that you will have to pay to continue accessing your already purchased games. It's just a free month of Origin Access. No big deal. I would check to make sure it's not recurring though.
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    Turjan wrote: »

When I checked, it says my membership ends on the 20th December.

Yes, I have checked this now myself, and it specifically says "non-recurring" and has a link to "become a recurring member". What confused me was a link to terms and conditions that said otherwise for trials, but those don't seem to cover this, so all's well. I specifically cancelled the box that asked me to "upgrade" my Sims3 to - what exactly? The only thing I don't have is Katy Perry's SP, and my game has already been 1.69 since I got the starter pack in a Humble bundle.
    edited November 2019
    Mine was set to reoccurring for some reason.Switching to disk wouldn’t be practical for me.First my laoptop doesn’t have many places to plug things into l, secondly I lack the space on my desk as I already have a portable hard drive and cooling pad oreads set up.Just isn’t the best choice for me right now.
    edited November 2019

But rebuying the entire series on disc would be very expensive. I think that was his point.
    That was my point(she) lol.
    My original point to the thread was wondering if other people got it.I was worried someone got into my account like they did with my Netflix.Glad to see it’s just a promotion but I probably won’t make use of it as I don’t even know what origin access is LOL
  • RummourRummour Posts: 28 Member
    I just got the same email and freaked out that somebody somehow got into my account and bought membership with my money (even though I have no money-related information on my account). Good to know it's just a promotion or something, cause I just got a mini heart-attack.
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey folks, as the OP received their answer I'm going to go ahead and close this off now :smile:
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    edited November 2019
    Hey - just to confirm the answers here as I don't want anyone to worry:

Also, a month gives you plenty of time to play for free some of the games that are part of Origin Access. A game recommendation as well as I'm on it: Unravel, or Unravel Two if you want to play with someone else ;)

If you have more questions, please, join the discussion here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/967263/ea-account-turn-on-login-verification-get-a-free-month-of-origin-access-in-november
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top