Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Arts & Crafts fans, which feature are you most interested in?

arts & crafts seems to be in the lead so i want to know what you all think.

here is the poll for happy haunts fans. i won't make a thread for the other concepts since they seem unlikely to win.
and here is the survey link:
origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

Arts & Crafts fans, which feature are you most interested in? 192 votes

Knitting Skill
43%
Frn0731Derellaalexspoom13SimmervilleUnDutchableaelias24MaMaTwinklebirdHowGreatThouArtSimpatsyannsimm621StrangerthanThunderbat87babajayneSageRainWillowMariefoxprice83cchant86luthienrisingNivyxloubylouloudragonfreak 83 votes
Embroidery/Cross Stitch
13%
aprilroseLynarielapoemetragurlsennawalesinvisiblgirlLadyDecafJesskiscoedKaeChan2089pearlbhblueyblueskyLissyK9Felicity1169annaliese39musteniValeahEvie0602Jasonschick80QueenofMyshunoSimAlexandria 25 votes
Glass Fabrication Station
17%
auroraael14verlainemKita5399FriedCawfeePlayerSinger2010MeteoraStormPaigeisin5sekojranaVersusVeritasAquariusMomtaydevAlwe1507DaemonPawselelunicyJADETIGERgraventheiliekponiezFaithWittencodylynnclarkgnelso1239 34 votes
Pottery Wheel
23%
Akl500PicmnfrshIdontrcalljeepjeepcatstoryyIsb917joelygirlsims2GdurmaGoldenBuffyMoon_WillowCeres_Meirionamock68vcosleyKhrisstynephantasmkisskellzaBabykittyjadeChampandGirliebixtersAlbaWaterhouse 45 votes
Edible Art
2%
goodcakebaker62NindigopoltergeistJC1979w_w_waiyiiiiii9813 5 votes

Comments

• ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Knitting Skill
    I went with knitting my elders need something to do.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    Knitting Skill
    I picked knitting because I’m a knitter myself. However, glassmaking and the pottery wheel sound awesome! Oh and I like the embroidery and cross stitch aspect too.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Knitting Skill
    They all look like fun to me. I chose knitting because it (along with Cross stitch) is a hobby I do in real life, and can make a plea to have them be viable for children too - yes, kids can and do knit. It's not just for elders.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    Pottery Wheel
    Pottery wheel and edible art.
  • CheekyimpCheekyimp Posts: 124 Member
    Knitting Skill
    As a knitter (who isn't elderly, and won't be for a long time!) no question what I'd look forward to!
  • poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    Edible Art
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    They all look like fun to me. I chose knitting because it (along with Cross stitch) is a hobby I do in real life, and can make a plea to have them be viable for children too - yes, kids can and do knit. It's not just for elders.
    Cheekyimp wrote: »
    As a knitter (who isn't elderly, and won't be for a long time!) no question what I'd look forward to!
    of course knitting isn't just for old people, i think some people just want an excuse to get some elder content and knitting or arts and crafts in general would be perfect for that. elders are really neglected in terms of gameplay (and even cas! i don't want my grandmas wearing crop tops and skinny jeans, sorry). so personally i hope that is the direction it's taken in if knitting wins.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Knitting Skill
    I've never tried knitting myself, but I do like to crochet. My Great Grandmother taught me how when I was a child. She would crochet dresses, hats, purses and such for my Barbie doll, PJ. She also crocheted a poncho for me and my sister and purse for me which I still have and treasure. Yes, it would be a nice activity to have for our elders, but it's a skill all ages enjoy in the real world too.

It's actually a three-way tie for me between knitting, pottery and glass fabrication, I'd love any of those for my Sims. I went with the knitting though because of my experience and fond memories with crocheting.

In my opinion, I believe the Devs knew beforehand this would be one of the most popular choices and have already begun to develop the skill/animations for it in our game. Why? Well, have you seen what happens when students put scarves on the University statues as a prank? They actually stand next to it doing a knitting animation and the scarves materialize on the statue!

I predict this theme will win and knitting will be the biggest feature of the pack. ;)
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    edited November 2019
    Knitting Skill
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Cheekyimp wrote: »
    of course knitting isn't just for old people, i think some people just want an excuse to get some elder content and knitting or arts and crafts in general would be perfect for that. elders are really neglected in terms of gameplay (and even cas! i don't want my grandmas wearing crop tops and skinny jeans, sorry). so personally i hope that is the direction it's taken in if knitting wins.

I think my issue is that "there's nothing to do for elders" is putting elders in a very limited, somewhat ageist box. I mean, my mom (definitely an elder) goes to the local sports bar on weekends, travels around the country judging horse shows, works on making jewelry, reads, teaches horseback riding (she lives in rural Indiana) and generally does all the same things she's been doing... well, most of my life that I can remember. Elders don't need "elder specific" hobbies. They can do everything the "kids" (meaning Young Adults) do. Including clubbing.

Now, CAS I can agree to a limited extent. Still, there's more in there than I think people want to admit. After all, "elders" these days were the original fanbase of Queen, the Rolling Stones, the Grateful Dead, Kiss... So if the Arts pack becomes an elders pack, I'd rather see a Post-Modern Hippy or Aging Rocker vibe than taupe cardigans and polyester knit pantsuits. I can't imagine my mom in one of those gawdawful polyester pantsuits...
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Pottery Wheel
    I voted for pottery and stained glass. The later was a surprise to me. I liked the description more than I first expected.

I'd want to see all of it in a pack though. I'd take the knitting and stitching.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    Embroidery/Cross Stitch
    I do cross stitch so seeing this really excites me.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• ValeahValeah Posts: 98 Member
    Embroidery/Cross Stitch
    I really want Embroidery/Cross Stitch - and Knitting and Crochet. I do them in real life, so I'd love to see them in the game. I'm really not that interested in Edible Art.
  • KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    Pottery Wheel
    I always wanted to try this in real life.
    I'll be happy with Knitting or pottery.
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Knitting Skill
    I believe I voted knitting, but honestly knitting, embroidery, and edible art are all activites I'd like to have in the game. I want more for children, toddlers, and elders and those three fit that mark.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    Embroidery/Cross Stitch
    i keep jumping back and forth with knitting and embroidery/ cross stitch but i voted embroidery 1 knitting 2
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2019
    Knitting Skill
    I love knitting and crochet in my own life, so I would love it. Cross stitch/embroidery sounds like fun too. I just love all the ideas for game play that came with this pack and why I voted for it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Glass Fabrication Station
    All of them seem like fun (I've been DYING for more creative things to do in the game. instruments next pls? Sorry. Tangent), but there's something so fascinating to me about glass blowing. I'd love to see what we could do with that.
  • pattyheartpattyheart Posts: 284 Member
    edited November 2019
    Perhaps knitting will bring back Agnes Crumplebotton from the Sims2 Downtown? (LOL) While my elders find plenty to continue doing in the Sims 4 it would be lovely if EA were to honor the many real life elders who have played and who have contributed to and supported the series from its very start with a Golden Years pack. Our Sim elders do need a selection of complimentary, age appropriate clothing. I appreciate how modders have created nice looking clothing for our Sims 2 elders.
    My Origin ID is PattyHeart <3 Find me at Twitter as animatedword <3
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Knitting Skill
    pattyheart wrote: »
    Perhaps knitting will bring back Agnes Crumplebotton from the Sims2 Downtown? (LOL) While my elders find plenty to continue doing in the Sims 4 it would be lovely if EA were to honor the many real life elders who have played and who have contributed to and supported the series from its very start with a Golden Years pack. Our Sim elders do need a selection of complimentary, age appropriate clothing. I appreciate how modders have created nice looking clothing for our Sims 2 elders.
    I would love that. Mrs. Crumplebottom has been one of my favorite NPCs of all time. Imagine all the cute knit hats and jackets for toddlers too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    edited November 2019
    Knitting Skill
    It was a toss up between knitting and pottery , but I also like the embroidery/crossstitch too.

I don't know why so many people think knitting is for elders as I know quite a few people in their 20s knitting and sewing as a hobby.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    Knitting Skill
    It was a tie between knitting, pottery and glass. I really wish we could get all of the features or at least two, but I voted for knitting because that's the feature I would probably use the most. Fingers crossed we can knit clothes for toddlers, as long as amigurumis!
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    Knitting Skill
    I too was torn between knitting and pottery. Cross-stitch is 3rd and then the glass-making. The edible art is the only one of the options I can't see myself getting much use out of. I really wanted the sewing machine from Sims 2 back but I can be happy with knitting instead.

This is how I feel. Yes, my grandmother used to knit so there's that association for me, and my mum has in the past - I remember her doing it when I was a child , so she was definitely not in the elder lifestage then! So on the one hand I do want more traditional things for elder sims to do, I also want more crafts in general, as well as traditional activities for when I'm playing historical themes or sims who aren't into modern technology. If the elder theme does win out, I hope we get a couple of walking sticks to choose from.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Pottery Wheel
    I really loved the pottery talent badge in FreeTime. And with how they did flower arranging in TS4 Seasons, I feel like we'd get a ton more options if they reintroduced pottery.

Knitting was probably my 2nd or 3rd. I know glass fabrication is somewhere up there too.

Honestly, I'd love to have all of these. Same with the Happy Haunts options, although Arts and Crafts is my top pick.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • DreamOperatorDreamOperator Posts: 241 Member
    Knitting Skill
    I've wanted knitting in the Sims since I first started playing in 2006. I'm an avid knitter and crocheter in real life too. The cross stitch and embroidery would be my second pick. And I like glass blowing and the pottery wheel, but those have been in the series before. I still play Sims 2 and 3 so I am looking for something completely new for Sims 4.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Knitting Skill
    I chose knitting because I'm a knitter IRL and it's one of the things that me and my kid bond over (along with Sims ;).

Pottery and embroidery also sound like fun though!

I wonder how much devs knew what would be popular. We do have a knitting animation and the yarn bombing in DU now.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited November 2019
    Knitting Skill
    I picked knitting because it will give my elder females something to do besides cooking. I also like the idea of buying patterns and making stuffed animals and toys ( would love to see dolls) for the children and toddlers too, they seem to get so little. Elders are not the only ones who will be able to use it. My daughter started sewing and crocheting as a young teen ( in fact she made me the cutest crochet dragon last year, she is a young adult now). I hope that they allow one sim to teach another how to knit too, if it wins. I would love to see the grandmothers teaching their granddaughters. I am an elder and am more into reading or playing the sims, but I remember my grandmother, she made some beautiful things with a crochet hook.

I actually like all the skills in the arts and crafts category.