Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Developers should play the game they're developing.

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    How do any of you think they could possibly make a game they do not play. That makes no sense.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    @Writin_Reg lol because some of them have actually said so themselves.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited November 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    How do any of you think they could possibly make a game they do not play. That makes no sense.
    Wasn't clear, I meant outside of just for developing it. And this is pretty much what developers themselves said. And it wasn't one time they proclaimed such words. Though it does show the result and in it is the problem for us.
    i fully disagree with everything said in this thread
    ok
    but i will say this if you hate the sims4 so much then why are you playing the sims4 then if its only to critic after?
    i do not play it why you think i play it i did not mention i play it but i still criticize because i can but do not went sims 4 to suck any more though i speak from a standpoint of a consumer that didnt spend a money but got it for free?
    NNpYlHF.jpg
    edited November 2019

The only one i ever saw say something like that is he did not play it on his own time at home is Grant. I can see that as he makes board games own his own time. Not a lot of people bring work home with them though. But when they are at work they very much have to play it to make things for it and test it.

I know I have had lots of work history and things i did at work - well i never came home and did them. That makes perfect sense to me. Everyone has lives outside of their job.

So you all think Developers are supposed to work on Sims all day and then play the game all night and the heck with their spouses and families. Tell me how many of you go home and do what you do at your job all day. Do you have kids and families - would they understand if you brought your work home everynight. That is so unrealistic.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited November 2019
    Well I heard numerious of developers say that and it becomes more appearant often than not in streams, where they look like they don't even know how to navigate stuff in the game whilst showcasing a pack.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
    Well I heard numerious of developers say that and it becomes more appearant often than not in streams, where they look like they don't even know how to navigate stuff in the game whilst showcasing a pack.

When people leave work - their work day has ended - period. I don't care what job they have. That is wrong saying anyone has to bring their work home I don't care what they do. Ask people here who have spouses how they would like that if their spouse brought their work home because some customer said so. Home you are on your own time and you should never bring your work home - especially if you have a family which most of the devs do.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

When people leave work - their work day has ended - period. I don't care what job they have. That is wrong saying anyone has to bring their work home I don't care what they do. Ask people here who have spouses how they would like that if their spouse brought their work home because some customer said so. Home you are on your own time and you should never bring your work home - especially if you have a family which most of the devs do.

I think the point they are making is that the devs don't play the sims on their freetime...only when they have to...if ever.
    edited November 2019

I think the point they are making is that the devs don't play the sims on their freetime...only when they have to...if ever.

JUst like any job. Most people do not bring work home and the Sims is their work. Their free time is just that free time to do things with their kids and spouses - live life like everyone does. They are no different than anyone else.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Becoming a little to toxic in this thread. Going to say this strongly. For those who have different views than others it okay to express them. We need to be respectful towards our fellow simmers.

Not all Simguru's have time to play the game. They are human and have things to do when they get home. I agree fully with @Writin_Reg statements.

@friendlysimmers Just because you don't have issues with the Sims 4 don't mean others don't. People have different views doesn't make their views invalid. Disagree don't always mean a person is in the right. I have never in my years have found a perfect computer game. Been searching since Windows 95.

It would help if they practiced at least three to four times before showing off things to us simmers @DragonCat159. I do agree with you something needs to change.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    It seems pretty obvious many of the Sims team do not play this game especially those in charge if they cared behavior of the Sims and their traits would of been top priority and fixed a long time ago they simply don't care.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

That also happens with Simtubers, not just devs. You'd think someone who plays the game for a living would know how to find things and yet... no.

There's a difference in showcasing a pack and playing the game. The team needs someone for those showcases who knows what they're doing (and not just be there with "I always play like this" which was my big issue with the more recent livestream) but there are plenty of devs who do play on their own time too. Just probably not as much as a regular Simmer since it's also their work and they likely enjoy a break.

• vcosleyvcosley Posts: 880 Member
    I didn't have the problems with any of the pack before 4. Sims3 is my favourite. Didn't have a problems, even though my computer is 10 years old. Sims4 to me is lacking. The sims walk through other sims or stand in the same spot. They have had more updates in sims4 than 1, 2, or 3. And there are new glitches with updates and new packs. Doesn't make sense to me. Just my opinion.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    I think what they should be doing in livestreams is whatever computer they use for the packs.. it should have EVERY single pack installed not just whichever pack they're showing off.
    6adMCGP.gif
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    It seems pretty obvious many of the Sims team do not play this game especially those in charge if they cared behavior of the Sims and their traits would of been top priority and fixed a long time ago they simply don't care.

I like them to do away with the traits and moodlets to be honest. But it be interesting if we ever got the type of game I dream of.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

JUst like any job. Most people do not bring work home and the Sims is their work. Their free time is just that free time to do things with their kids and spouses - live life like everyone does. They are no different than anyone else.

And you have a point, but we have a bit of a problem having a team that obvious that don't play the game...
  • SpoonieSarahSpoonieSarah Posts: 17 Member
    They have to play the game to test their work, AT work.
    My roommate works at a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant. He has not eaten fried chicken in four months because he can't stand the smell of it now.
    Same concept. When you are doing something all day long for your work, most people don't wanna come home to it as well.
    They don't have to play the game- that's what we do. Then we give feedback.
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited November 2019
    Then they have to pay playtesters, so they can find fixable things in the game that won't linger for 4 years (I'm looking at you fruitcake). I wonder what would've happened if Dark Souls III hadn't been played and tested before release...
    Post edited by Dijktafone on
    edited November 2019

I think you aren't getting the picture I'm trying to convey to you. I'm not suggesting developers should and must work on the game to bring us new content, squash bug or whatever in that line. I'm recommending them to get to know how to use the product they partook in its creation, and that doesn't have to be at home (they can do it at work during spare time). Why? Because that opens up to the possibilities for new ideas.

Hypothetical scenario to this to be: Imagine If I delivered a program that really interested (think of a concept right now) and let's say you purchase it. Than comes the part you got confused and don't know how to use a particular function to start/finish a task. You send me email asking for instructions, but then I leave this reply: "lol, i don't use it, so idk how to do that".

Throwing a line of code on a program without testing the function you created will not necessary mean it will operate as expected. You'll either got broken down thing, un-intuitive UI, poor implementation, you name it. It's like a chef making a new meal out of new alien ingredients they never tasted or engineer putting a device on market they never turned on. And honestly, that what it feels like with the sims 4 most of the time. You get things like that awful implementation like off-grid trait, with it's designed being awfully flawed as many players have reported

And since that game's development operates on team rather on one person, of course it's possible for somebody to not know how to operate a game. One may work on sound, other on UI, something focusing on one feature, etc. Making API is one thing, playing (also can be defined as 'testing' stage) is another.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    What a SimGuru said on Twitter once was that they work with it and play it all day, over and over again, in the course of their game construction and want a change when they get home. That must be especially true for those whose job it is to check that it all fits together properly.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    edited November 2019
    My husband is a computer programmer. His job doesn't run 9-5. He can't just say he's done and stop. It runs however long it takes to get the program done that is being worked on by a set deadline. If he gives a client a program with bugs, he loses a contract. He has to test every scenario and make sure everything is working as it should before the deadline. Anyone who is in software of any kind accepts this as the way it is or they don't do the job. You hope that your deadline makes it so you can work reasonable hours, but sometimes plum happens and you have to work extra.

If the developers really aren't playtesting the game to check for conflicts and bugs (which it often seems they aren't) then they aren't doing their job as they should. That said, if EA's deadlines are unreasonable, then that's why, and it's not really their fault. My husband does have the ability to say a deadline is unreasonable, the developers for Sims may not.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Yep. Even the developers don't want to play their own crappy game.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    My husband is a computer programmer. His job doesn't run 9-5. He can't just say he's done and stop. It runs however long it takes to get the program done that is being worked on by a set deadline. If he gives a client a program with bugs, he loses a contract. He has to test every scenario and make sure everything is working as it should before the deadline. Anyone who is in software of any kind accepts this as the way it is or they don't do the job. You hope that your deadline makes it so you can work reasonable hours, but sometimes plum happens and you have to work extra.

If the developers really aren't playtesting the game to check for conflicts and bugs (which it often seems they aren't) then they aren't doing their job as they should. That said, if EA's deadlines are unreasonable, then that's why, and it's not really their fault. My husband does have the ability to say a deadline is unreasonable, the developers for Sims may not.

From what I have read online from previous employees EA is now a good employer to work for, having learnt their lesson from the early 2000's when they got a lot of very bad publicity. There seems to be a generous maternity leave, judging from the women who said they are coming back in the Fall, etc. and possibly paternity leave as one of the male Gurus mentioned being at home with his newborn son.
    I don't think they force their employees into working all hours (Crunch) these days. Rockstar was the latest to get some flak from this last year.

Maybe Quality Assurance (QA) Technicians need better pay to stay longer. They don't seem to get as much as other techies. from what I saw on the web.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    james64468 wrote: »

I like them to do away with the traits and moodlets to be honest. But it be interesting if we ever got the type of game I dream of.
    I prefer they actually fix them traits have been in all Sims game the only difference is now they do nothing.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
    james64468 wrote: »

I prefer they actually fix them traits have been in all Sims game the only difference is now they do nothing.

I guess you can say I like Sims 2 game play but don't like their needs system. The needs go down really quick. If they would just do traits and not have moodlets I be perfectly happy wither way. As long as they did it well. Sometimes I feel the moodlets take away from it being a life stimulation game. If you listen to Hot n cold clean version by Katy Perry that how I feel about moodlets.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2019

The only one i ever saw say something like that is he did not play it on his own time at home is Grant. I can see that as he makes board games own his own time. Not a lot of people bring work home with them though. But when they are at work they very much have to play it to make things for it and test it.

I know I have had lots of work history and things i did at work - well i never came home and did them. That makes perfect sense to me. Everyone has lives outside of their job.

So you all think Developers are supposed to work on Sims all day and then play the game all night and the heck with their spouses and families. Tell me how many of you go home and do what you do at your job all day. Do you have kids and families - would they understand if you brought your work home everynight. That is so unrealistic.
    I've talked to other Gurus and they say they don't too. SimGuruMorgan does. She's a pyro deviant player like me. Basically was told bulk of Gurus and Maxis team don't play the game by the Gurus themselves. Why I suggested once a month to be reasonable because I do know Gurus have lives too. I do think being apart of any business it is good to test products before releasing be in Sims or something much more tangible. I know the QA team does, but it wouldn't hurt to have some SimGurus play the game too outside their cheats. I do think it is helping having them play casually beyond the deep dive stream too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top