Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Discover University Early Access Q&A

EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
Thanks to the EA GameChangers program I have early access to Discover University EP.

If you guys have questions that haven't been answered yet, please post them below and I will answer what I can.

Gameplay-wise, this is my test save:
  • Maxed skills/careers, non-occult, Global Superstar sim.
  • Enrolled in Physics Distinguighed degree at Foxbury (paired with Mechanical Engineering branch of Engineering career).
  • Living in Tidal Tower dorms (empty dorm, 3 bed shared room).
  • Scholarships, pretty much all of them except Athletics and only Willow Creek/Britechester resident loans, but I still just broke even so moved uni with 0 simoleons. (I moved in with Bob and Ewwliza first so that I wouldn't have house sale proceeds when I moved to Uni).
  • Budding romance with a premade/randomised Servo.

I will test later with some premade teens/YAs to see what scholarships they qualify for based on their skills.

Ask away!

Comments

• DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited November 2019
    So, Emma, considering you have a global superstar, I suspect you have the career hopper perk. What do degrees provide that this perk doesn't already?
    [Edit] Gonna edit my post to thank you for your answer, instead of creating a new one that isn't a question... so thanks for this enlightment Emma :)
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited November 2019
    @Dijktafone

Degrees and Distinguished Degrees are much more powerful in the benefits they provide.
    I haven't reached this point in game, but from a Q&A with the SimGuru/Maxis studio we were told that you can join the career at much higher level (past where it branches for branching careers), you get a sizeable starting bonus, higher salary and you accrue vacation days more quickly. You would also get all the normal unlocks and level bonuses for levels you skipped in one fell swoop, like with the Connections reward trait.

Distinguished Degrees give better benefits than regular degrees, but are harder to get onto as they have stricter skill requirements. They also cost more, I believe.

I believe there are also long term benefits from university organisations, but I haven't discovered what they are yet (so far unlocks have been BB/CAS related).
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    I have a question.
    What career does each class benefit? I already know that Language and Literature benefit sims in author (writer branch), freelance writer, and private attorney (law career branch) careers and Biology benefits sims in doctor, bodybuilder, botanic, and marine biologist careers. What does the other classes benefit? I'm curious (but I could wait until tomorrow and see for myself...).
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I’m interested with the rotation between between students at the Uni & parents at home, say if the aging on only on played household & the rotation is once per week. How will it affect the Uni terms?
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    I have a question.
    What career does each class benefit? I already know that Language and Literature benefit sims in author (writer branch), freelance writer, and private attorney (law career branch) careers and Biology benefits sims in doctor, bodybuilder, botanic, and marine biologist careers. What does the other classes benefit? I'm curious (but I could wait until tomorrow and see for myself...).

Carl's Sim Guide has posted the full list here: https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/expansionpacks/discoveruniversity/degrees.php .
    edited November 2019
    @EgonVM

Degree subjects and associated careers as follows.
    Art History
    • Painter - Patron of the Arts
    • Stylist - Trend Setter
    • Critic - Arts Critic (CL)

Biology
    • Athletics - Bodybuilder
    • Doctor (GTW)
    • Gardener - Botanist (SNS)
    • Conservationist - Marine Biologist (IL)

Communications
    • Writer - Journalist
    • Business - Management
    • Activist - Charity Organiser (CL)
    • Social Media - Public Relations (CL)

Computer Science
    • Tech Guru - Start-Up Entrepreneur
    • Criminal - Oracle
    • Freelance Programmer
    • Engineer - Computer Engineer (DU)

Drama
    • Entertainment - Comedian
    • Social Media - Internet Personality (CL)
    • Actor/Actress (GF)

Economics
    • Business - Investor
    • Conservationist - Environmental Manager (IL)
    • Education - Administrator (DU)

Fine Art(s)
    • Painter - Master of the Real
    • Entertainer - Musician
    • Stylist - Stylist
    • Freelance Artist
    • Gardener - Floral Designer (SNS)
    • Freelance Fashion Photographer (MS)

History
    • Activist - Politician (CL)
    • Military - Officer (CV)
    • Law - Judge (DU)

Language & Literature
    • Writer - Author
    • Freelance Writer
    • Law - Private Attorney (DU)

Physics
    • Astronaut - Space Ranger
    • Scientist (GTW)
    • Engineer - Mechanical Engineer (DU)

Psychology
    • Secret Agent - Diamond Agent
    • Detective (GTW)
    • Military - Covert Operative (SV)
    • Education - Professor (DU)

And 2 which are tied to participation in extra-curriculars, rather than the degrees themselves.
    Soccer extra-curricular activity
    • Athletics - Sports

Esports extra-curricular activity
    • Tech Guru - Esports Gamer
    edited November 2019
    I've not seen anyone play through yet & join a career, so my question is:
    How much of a career boost do you get with a degree, is it different for normal vs distinguished and does your GPA affect it at all?

• AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    MsTiquelle wrote: »
    How much of a career boost do you get with a degree, is it different for normal vs distinguished and does your GPA affect it at all?

https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/expansionpacks/discoveruniversity/degrees.php

To see boosts, click the individual degree for more info 💙
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

edited November 2019
    @xamira99

I play rotationally this way and here is how it works.
    While you are actively playing an enrolled sim, you can work on their grade (or not) and effect the outcome. Once you rotate away they will finish out the current term, but won't re-enrol on the next term until you rotate back to them.

Unplayed sims auto re-enrol, so may graduate before your played sims.

If played sims finish the term while inactive, they get average marks (I don't know if this means for the whole term, or just the unplayed part).

As I rotate weekly on Sunday mornings I would do all the prep work (applying for scholarships/unis etc) the rotation before I plan to enrol and wait to actually enrol until their next rotation starts on Sunday. Otherwise I lose a few days applying and term ends days after I rotate away, rather than mere hours.

If you don't want to wait til next rotation then you will miss a couple of days on your first term, but can re-enrol immediately when you rotate back for second term.

https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/expansionpacks/discoveruniversity/degrees.php

To see boosts, click the individual degree for more info 💙

Ah, I'm an idiot for not clicking into them! Thanks for the tip :). Glad the boosts are significant. Though a pity that for quite a lot of them the difference between getting a degree with/without honours doesn't actually make a difference. Glad to see the distinguished is better, but not too much that the other is pointless.
    @MsTiquelle

I believe I answered that here.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited November 2019
    Hello and many thans for starting this thread!

So I want to ask. On one of the dorms there already live two sims. If I enroll my sim on a university and pick that dorm for her, will my sim automaticly live with the two sims that are already living in there? I mean will the households merge? I believe they will. Is there any way to prevent that? Or do I have to move the two sims out via manage household if I don't them to be a part of my family?
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
    edited November 2019
    @DoloresGrey
    You are correct in your assumption.

Your active household gets merged with any premade or played sims already living there. This can be avoided by evicting the sims beforehand, or splitting households and moving them out after via Manage households.

You can move them to another dorm or leave them homeless. Homeless sims can show up when choosing roommates via ads (on residential lots).

Or you can choose to merge, but just not play the sims. They have autonomy, so will live their lives as normal.

There is an uninhabited dorm at each uni though.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    @EmmaVane Thanks!
    So if I move them out will they stay university students?
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Hello and many thans for starting this thread!

So I want to ask. On one of the dorms there already live two sims. If I enroll my sim on a university and pick that dorm for her, will my sim automaticly live with the two sims that are already living in there? I mean will the households merge? I believe they will. Is there any way to prevent that? Or do I have to move the two sims out via manage household if I don't them to be a part of my family?

The only way to prevent that is to evict/move them out before you move your SIm in. That or move them out after you've moved in.
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    @xamira99

I play rotationally this way and here is how it works.
    While you are actively playing an enrolled sim, you can work on their grade (or not) and effect the outcome. Once you rotate away they will finish out the current term, but won't re-enrol on the next term until you rotate back to them.

Unplayed sims auto re-enrol, so may graduate before your played sims.

If played sims finish the term while inactive, they get average marks (I don't know if this means for the whole term, or just the unplayed part).

As I rotate weekly on Sunday mornings I would do all the prep work (applying for scholarships/unis etc) the rotation before I plan to enrol and wait to actually enrol until their next rotation starts on Sunday. Otherwise I lose a few days applying and term ends days after I rotate away, rather than mere hours.

If you don't want to wait til next rotation then you will miss a couple of days on your first term, but can re-enrol immediately when you rotate back for second term.

Thank you for this! I have a couple more questions with regard to this, and I will put it under spoiler too, just in case some players want to explore it by themselves.
    1. Regarding the prep works - how many days does it take? Is it similar to the Actor gigs?

2. Say, since the term can be completed in 1 week (for example, if my Sims have taken at least 4 subjects), would you advice to only re-enroll when I've started playing with them or the last day before the rotation ends?

3. Currently, I have 5 households, and each of the house would probably send their kids to the Uni. Hence, I will probably have between 8 to 10 households (which includes the kids at the Uni). As you mentioned, the played Sims can complete the term, but they will get an average mark. Which means, the kids that are played but inactive would not be able to get an excellent mark since, they'll probably need to wait for at least 7 weeks (say, if I have 8 households in the rotation)?
    edited November 2019
    @EmmaVane Thanks!
    So if I move them out will they stay university students?
    Yes, they stay as students. They just become homeless and may spawn as roomies elsewhere, or same dorm if there is space.
    Post edited by EmmaVane on
    edited November 2019
    @xamira99
    1. Regarding the prep works - how many days does it take? Is it similar to the Actor gigs?

From testing in fresh saves (which starts at 8:00 am on Sunday), it takes 1-2 days for uni applications to process, but you will need longer if you need to gain skills before you apply. Mail is at 11:30 am-ish, if I apply before that time on Sunday, I get my acceptance letter in Monday's post, if I apply after that I have to wait an extra day. Scholarships take a bit longer to be approved and it might be Tuesday or Wednesday before you can enrol and move to Uni.

2. Say, since the term can be completed in 1 week (for example, if my Sims have taken at least 4 subjects), would you advice to only re-enrol when I've started playing with them or the last day before the rotation ends?

I would re-enrol (and enrol first term too, if you can wait) at the start of your rotation. If you do it at the end they will be inactive for the entire term and complete it with an average grade without you even playing them at uni. Terms are actually 5 working days (weekends aren't included) so if you enrol/re-enrol over the weekend you will finish the term on Friday. If you rotate at weekends this means they will be played actively all week and your actions determine their grade.

If you enrol midweek you only get half a week active, but you get the weekend in the middle to work on final projects like term papers and presentations. I don't know yet whether the active days are taken into account if the other half is inactive, but I hope they are.

Each has it's drawbacks.

3. Currently, I have 5 households, and each of the house would probably send their kids to the Uni. Hence, I will probably have between 8 to 10 households (which includes the kids at the Uni). As you mentioned, the played Sims can complete the term, but they will get an average mark. Which means, the kids that are played but inactive would not be able to get an excellent mark since, they'll probably need to wait for at least 7 weeks (say, if I have 8 households in the rotation)?

Everyone would be able to get an excellent mark as long as you are enrolling them at the start of their rotation and play the maximum amount of term. When you rotate away they will finish the current term, but won't re-enrol for the next term until you rotate back to them. Once you rotate back you can re-enrol and play out the next term (remember they are 5 weekdays excluding weekends).

All your played sims will age together and graduate in the same rotation cycle (as long as they start uni during the same rotation cycle and take the same number of classes). Unplayed sims, however, will graduate sometime through your first or second cycle (3-12 weeks depending on the number of classes selected).
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    - What happens with memberships in student organisations at the end of term and at graduation? Will sims be kicked out automatically? Will it be grayed out until they start the next semester?
    - Are sims allowed to join any organisation, or just those affiliated with their own university?
    - Can they join more than one student organisation?
    - What I am particularly interested in is the secret society. Just in case someone wants to discover it by themselves, I will ask in a spoiler.
    Will my sim still be able to use the power to call sprites after they graduated?
    @xamira99

From testing in fresh saves (which starts at 8:00 am on Sunday), it takes 1-2 days for uni applications to process, but you will need longer if you need to gain skills before you apply. Mail is at 11:30 am-ish, if I apply before that time on Sunday, I get my acceptance letter in Monday's post, if I apply after that I have to wait an extra day. Scholarships take a bit longer to be approved and it might be Tuesday or Wednesday before you can enrol and move to Uni.

2. Say, since the term can be completed in 1 week (for example, if my Sims have taken at least 4 subjects), would you advice to only re-enrol when I've started playing with them or the last day before the rotation ends?

I would re-enrol (and enrol first term too, if you can wait) at the start of your rotation. If you do it at the end they will be inactive for the entire term and complete it with an average grade without you even playing them at uni. Terms are actually 5 working days (weekends aren't included) so if you enrol/re-enrol over the weekend you will finish the term on Friday. If you rotate at weekends this means they will be played actively all week and your actions determine their grade.

If you enrol midweek you only get half a week active, but you get the weekend in the middle to work on final projects like term papers and presentations. I don't know yet whether the active days are taken into account if the other half is inactive, but I hope they are.

Each has it's drawbacks.

Everyone would be able to get an excellent mark as long as you are enrolling them at the start of their rotation and play the maximum amount of term. When you rotate away they will finish the current term, but won't re-enrol for the next term until you rotate back to them. Once you rotate back you can re-enrol and play out the next term (remember they are 5 weekdays excluding weekends).

All your played sims will age together and graduate in the same rotation cycle (as long as they start uni during the same rotation cycle and take the same number of classes). Unplayed sims, however, will graduate sometime through your first or second cycle (3-12 weeks depending on the number of classes selected).

Awesome! Thank you so much! I'm very worried & I really want to know about this before I get the pack. Thank you for the detail explanation! :D
  • KACKAC Posts: 3 New Member
    Are you playing with Get Together installed, as well? If so, can university housing be earmarked for clubs only like they can be for student organizations?
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    I have a question.

Carl's Sim Guide has posted the full list here: https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/expansionpacks/discoveruniversity/degrees.php .
    @EgonVM

Degree subjects and associated careers as follows.
    Art History
    • Painter - Patron of the Arts
    • Stylist - Trend Setter
    • Critic - Arts Critic (CL)

Biology
    • Athletics - Bodybuilder
    • Doctor (GTW)
    • Gardener - Botanist (SNS)
    • Conservationist - Marine Biologist (IL)

Communications
    • Writer - Journalist
    • Business - Management
    • Activist - Charity Organiser (CL)
    • Social Media - Public Relations (CL)

Computer Science
    • Tech Guru - Start-Up Entrepreneur
    • Criminal - Oracle
    • Freelance Programmer
    • Engineer - Computer Engineer (DU)

Drama
    • Entertainment - Comedian
    • Social Media - Internet Personality (CL)
    • Actor/Actress (GF)

Economics
    • Business - Investor
    • Conservationist - Environmental Manager (IL)
    • Education - Administrator (DU)

Fine Art(s)
    • Painter - Master of the Real
    • Entertainer - Musician
    • Stylist - Stylist
    • Freelance Artist
    • Gardener - Floral Designer (SNS)
    • Freelance Fashion Photographer (MS)

History
    • Activist - Politician (CL)
    • Military - Officer (CV)
    • Law - Judge (DU)

Language & Literature
    • Writer - Author
    • Freelance Writer
    • Law - Private Attorney (DU)

Physics
    • Astronaut - Space Ranger
    • Scientist (GTW)
    • Engineer - Mechanical Engineer (DU)

Psychology
    • Secret Agent - Diamond Agent
    • Detective (GTW)
    • Military - Covert Operative (SV)
    • Education - Professor (DU)

And 2 which are tied to participation in extra-curriculars, rather than the degrees themselves.
    Soccer extra-curricular activity
    • Athletics - Sports

Esports extra-curricular activity
    • Tech Guru - Esports Gamer

Thank you both for the info. It also surprises me that extra-curricular activities help to get into two branches by itself (it's awesome!).
    It seems like the mixologist branch of the culinary career doesn't have any degrees that help it...
  • cheesetruckcheesetruck Posts: 2,518 Member
    Are there any new collections?
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Guys! This pack sounds so awesome and well thought out! Could it end up being one of the best packs next to Seasons? Let's hope! I am more than ready to get this tomorrow! :)
  • lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Do you have Laundry Day installed? If yes, will roommates generate laundry and will they do their laundry autonomously? Can dryers be placed in university housings or not, since they are fire hazards just like stoves and grills?