Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Discover University - Early Access - My first honest impressions

Thanks to EA for allowing me early access

I was not particularly excited when this EP was leaked and after it was officially announced and I saw the listed features I was even less excited. EPs for TS4 tend to always come with huge compromises for the player and I thought this would be no exception. At some point after the trailers and the livestream I even thought it might feel emptier than Island Living (which should have been a GP in my and many others opinion).

But even with all that, I still came to the pack with an open mind once it was installed. Like with every pack that comes for TS4, I really, trully, want to like it.

CAS

By now, you have already seen al the CAS in videos and blog posts. CAS has been consistently good for the last couple of years, they make beautiful assets by now and you can tell they got the hang out of it. DU is no exception, CAS is almost perfect. Most of the clothes look so comfy and wearable, textures are great in most cases and the clothes feel "alive". The style is very fitting to the pack and I love to have more basic and simple items in my game for my laidback sims.

Kids and toddlers don't get anything which is an unfortunate trend, I would have appreciated at least a t-shirt with the university logos. Also maybe a couple more full outfits for masculine sims would have been nice.
I love the new tattoos although some of them are almost inintelligible. Piercings are a good addition to the game and fit in the pack BUT the eyebrow ones are really chunky and don't look good or realistic at all. I really like the nose piercings though. I wonder why they didn't add lip ones and hoops.

Here are some of my favourite hairstyles and outfits

5aFMSoR.jpg
BWV9ITA.jpg
WmtgsKr.jpg

More here:
ticuwW5.jpg
CbQCiXG.jpg
J8oNOuO.jpg
kiQPp8H.jpg
Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
All my creations are CC free.

Comments

• x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Looking forward to read your gameplay reviews. I would like to know how it works for the rotational play. I'm kinda worried if it's going to affect my rotation.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    Thank you for your review. I will check again for the gameplay part of the review.
    I always prefer written reviews to videos.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Thank you for the review. I always look forward to them. I much prefer a written review to a video to. I’m cautiously optimistic for this pack.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    xamira99 wrote: »
    Looking forward to read your gameplay reviews. I would like to know how it works for the rotational play. I'm kinda worried if it's going to affect my rotation.

Very good point! I wonder how that works too! If I have 2 different households with college students and go and play another one for a week, is my other sim going to magically be frozen at same state as he/she was when I left? I am very curious how that works.
  • DESERTFLOWER1981DESERTFLOWER1981 Posts: 90 Member
    Thank you for your honest review, look forward to the game tomorrow!
    I am writing a story, want to read it?
    Visit my blog here
    Visit the latest update for the discussion here
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    You just added to my excitement. Nice review! 😎
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    I may come off the fence and by DU based on this review. Thank you.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    Thank you for sharing your review! This isn't a theme I'm very excited about, so I haven't ordered it yet. It's only the second EP that I haven't placed on pre-ordered. It was nice to read a review from a simmer who is coming at this pack from the same perspective that I am. This was very helpful, thank you!
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Thanks for reviewing! :)

I'm also a rotational player and this has been my concern as well. I'm planning to experiment this weekend to see what happens when having students in dorms at both Universities at the same time. I know it's not going to play out the same as Sims 2, but I'm hoping to find a good flow for Sims 4 once I'm used to it.

Enjoy your time away! :)
    #Team Occult
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    As a rotational player I play with aging off. I’m thinking the rest of my sims will be just fine.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Yikes, I was concerned rotational play could be problematic. I hope more information will be available soon. I think I'll be waiting to buy until we know how to make this work.

I play on long aging and it's off for households I'm not currently playing, but I don't want my Sims in one house failing their semester if I'm playing a different house.
  • Kathy090660Kathy090660 Posts: 813 Member
    If you pick a room mate in a regular household, can you pick someone in a house that is your own sim or do they have to be townies? I play with a lot of households
    newsims4siggg_zps62d6d1ba.png

A Rainbow is a promise of God
  • kateoverendkateoverend Posts: 7,985 Member
    Thank you for this review. I like to get fellow simmers opinions and weigh them up before purchasing as EPs are a big expense and a splurge. It is very disappointing to purchase a game that falls short of expectations and lacks the potential that could be delivered :)
    rnKEhBT.png
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited November 2019
    rotational player here

I was a little confused by your explanation about time doesn't stop. Here is the thing I want multiple sims from different households to attend college at the same time. This is going to be tough to explain....

Dorm 1 has lets say 4 students from different households now combined in Dorm 1. From my understanding, I should be able to do this and deal with the students grades and needs at the same time during the rotation.

Dorm 2 has 4 different students. I want to be able to deal with their needs and grades.

Okay when I rotation to Dorm 2 from Dorm 1, will my students in Dorm 1 stay where I left them? I don't want their grades or classes to change while I am gone. Does this work?
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    By the way all that wasted set dressing space is ridiculous. Thanks for letting us know.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited November 2019
    Thanks for your review ! I’m watching James Turner’s last video and I noticed there’s a “withdrawal from term” option in the work menu of the phone so I guess That might be how you “drop out” ?
  • Vanesa1118Vanesa1118 Posts: 38 Member
    I have a question - so, you are i uni and there is a holiday in which 'day off work/school is set on, will they still go class or that applies for university also?
  • WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    Thanks for sharing. And good advice at stopping aging when playing.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Thanks for your review ! I’m watching James Turner’s last video and I noticed there’s a “withdrawal from term” option in the work menu of the phone so I guess That might be how you “drop out” ?

That's great to know! I'm out of town now but I'll try it straight away when I get back. Thanks.
    If you pick a room mate in a regular household, can you pick someone in a house that is your own sim or do they have to be townies? I play with a lot of households

I think only if they are marked as not played, then said sim has a chance to appear as a roommate candidate.
    keekee53 wrote: »
    rotational player here

I was a little confused by your explanation about time doesn't stop. Here is the thing I want multiple sims from different households to attend college at the same time. This is going to be tough to explain....

Dorm 1 has lets say 4 students from different households now combined in Dorm 1. From my understanding, I should be able to do this and deal with the students grades and needs at the same time during the rotation.

Dorm 2 has 4 different students. I want to be able to deal with their needs and grades.

Okay when I rotation to Dorm 2 from Dorm 1, will my students in Dorm 1 stay where I left them? I don't want their grades or classes to change while I am gone. Does this work?

I have not figured out yet how it works since I didn't have enough time to spend a full sim week with one household. I'm sorry I don't have an answer. I don't think they stay frozen in time, days go by either way. So my assumption is that they will just get by in a mediocre way but not fail, but I'm not sure.
    Vanesa1118 wrote: »
    I have a question - so, you are i uni and there is a holiday in which 'day off work/school is set on, will they still go class or that applies for university also?

I didn't test this, that's a really good question! I was surprised that they didn't integrate classes to the calendar. I hope they thought about that.
    edited November 2019
    You can head over to this awesome thread by @EmmaVane if you have any questions. Unfortunately I'm out of town.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/968846/discover-university-early-access-q-a