December 13 - It's Friday, and that means Friday Highlight is here! Check it out!
December 12 - It's Patch Day for The Sims 4 on PC/MAC. Patch notes here.
December 5 - It's patch day for The Sims 4 on console! Read the patch notes here.

Idea: College Prep School Dorm.

CK213CK213 Posts: 18,301 Member
edited November 16 in Expansion Packs
This idea just popped into my mind.

What if we build a lot and put the neighborhood teens in it.
Load it up with all the stuff they need to skill up for scholarships and live for the sole purpose of doing well in Uni and their future careers.
I gotta run, so if anyone can flesh this out further, give it a whirl.

[UPDATE: November 12, 2019]

CK213 wrote: »
Thanks for picking up the ball and running with it everyone. :)
I have been thinking about it myself and jotting down notes while at work. :p

-I would like to think of it as a private prep-school in partnership with Foxbury and Britechester to keep the rivalry between their schools friendly and less adversarial. This is best done by shaping students before they arrive.
[Alternative: Two prep-schools, one focused on getting into a Distinguished Degree program at Britechester and the other school focused on Foxbury.] I might consider this alternative. I could put each one on its related campus.

-I will probably send students to University four at a time at the most.
This is convenient because I can have room for a Headmaster and a guidance counselor.
The headmaster will probably be employed in business. The guidance councilor will be employed as a teacher with maxed parenting skills. The lot will be fairly large with small homes, or a wing of the building, to house the headmaster and guidance councilor.
This leaves 2 students who will probably remain because they have not developed enough to go on to University.

-The headmaster and guidance councilor will be motherloded the money to initially form the school.
Once I find out what the bills are for the school, the attendance fees can be calculated to cover the school, bills plus a profit for the school. Whatever that is it can be divided by six and that's what each parent must transfer to their child going to the school.

-School name: Smuggsworth Preparatory School, taken from The Sims 3 Boarding school name.

-Those students who age up to young adult will begin a internship period where they work in their careers for as many levels as they can until the whole group has a least two career levels. 4 of them will be shipped off to University to pursue their degrees.
Post edited by CK213 on
DU.png

Comments

• imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,700 Member
    Sounds cool. Can maybe use the lot trait that comes with DU. And if we put it in San Myshuno, it can have some serious Gossip Girl feels.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 1,332 Member
    That's a great idea. I don't have time to go into detail about it right now, but I might be intrigued to do that too with some of my really wealthy sims. I've run out of large lots except in Sulani. Elite boarding school in Sulani? Tempting though I may not want to turn that type of lot over to them.

This is the kind of situation in which I would use cheats to charge a fee to the parents each week.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 10,960 Member
    I already have an apartment in San Myshuno which I did out for 8 teens. It was last year, I was kinda pretending they were all at uni together. They've all aged up now so they could go to real uni :)
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 493 Member
    edited November 13
    Thanks for this idea! I have 8 teens and play in long lifespan. They’re still about 40 days away from aging to YA. Rather than play all 8 households in rotation like I usually do, which would take forever, I might have them all go to “boarding school” together and let them age there together. It will also help to compare their personalities and choose what they might major in without jumping around. I want to have a nice variety of majors. And I want them all to really bond before going to uni together.

I’ll hire a butler who I can pretend is the headmaster or something.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 4,554 Member
    edited November 13
    A college prep boarding school for teens? Sounds awesome tbt.

I suck at building but I’m imagining a 2 floor house with the rooms on the second floor and classrooms and cafeteria on the first. The classrooms are all skill based (art room, science room, athletics room, etc). You have to be a B student or higher to attend.

I can’t wait to build this when I get home!

@dearie_blossom This is the thread! 💙
    Post edited by AquaGamer1212 on
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• GeniusSimmerGirlGeniusSimmerGirl Posts: 61 Member
    oooh, this sounds fun. Currently I don't have any teens, but I definitely will store this away in my TS4 google doc. (:
    My origin ID is TheSmartSimmer. I'm not as arrogant as I seem. :D
    I made one, not the best builder, feel free to renovate lol

soD9Zri.png
    0BdkhZ6.png
    nHOJ6fp.png
    8tYVy8P.png

• BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,182 Member
    1.I’m thinking 2 adults( cheat whatever skills you want them to have to 10) and 6 teens on this lot. If there are more than 6 teens in your game, one or more teens from the lot can form groups to help the other teens skill up as well.

2.Parents can “send” money to that lot (assuming they’re going to live there) to make sure their teens have what they need for skills.

3.Hire a butler so they will have proper meals.

4.Be strict. Have the curfew board.

5. Have a tv and video games in a small room you will lock from the teens at times because they need to study study study!

6. Parents can visits once a week or send teens to their parents house for the day. Or whatever you want them to do with their parents.

A few thoughts anyway👩🏼‍🏫👨🏽‍🎓
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • GordyGordy Posts: 707 Member
    I have a boarding school for just this purpose. They students allowed to age up and graduate once they have 6 points in five skills, including compulsory classes (Writing, Charisma, Logic.) Every member is part of a club, so they'll autonomously work on their skills for four hours on Mondays through Fridays, after regular school. The school is also right next to two restaurants and a cemetery, so the kids have stuff to do when class is out.

The parents have to pay 10k to get them into that school. I imagine these kids would be well-trained and ready for university, and they can use that money to pay for their tuition.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    Every day until we get them.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 1,332 Member
    edited November 14
    That's a great idea. I don't have time to go into detail about it right now, but I might be intrigued to do that too with some of my really wealthy sims. I've run out of large lots except in Sulani. Elite boarding school in Sulani? Tempting though I may not want to turn that type of lot over to them.

This is the kind of situation in which I would use cheats to charge a fee to the parents each week.

I actually think I will do this. I realize that I have an empty 40 by 30 lot in Brindleton Bay across from the country club. That is actually a perfect setting for it. I'll probably just have one head master. The small size of a household will make it more elite. It's also a place to keep some sims while figuring university out.

It does kind of conflict with the parenting pack but it's also a way to create a distinction between parents who actually raise their children and those who pack them off. I don't know, I've got sim teens with names like Bastien De Claire and Viviana Da Roma who are just made to get into shenanigans and be snobby. I have the kind of happy and wholesome sims who are down to earth, but it could be entertaining to unleash the ones who aren't.

Anyway, it'll take me a little while to implement this if I do.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
    I just built mine for fun, I won’t be using it lol

edited November 15
    I renovated Oakenstead in Willow Creek (50x50) for this purpose. It’s got everything you need for developing skills preparing for scholarships. I added some career reward objects throughout and placed them where they will speed up learning. Accommodations include a butler’s quarters.

It costs $141,719 so I figure it will cost 8 teens 18,000 simoleons each to attend. (ETA: Costs about 10k more once it’s placed) 3 Perfect money trees should ensure they can afford the bills to stay there. Search babajayne in the gallery if you want to check it out. I playtested anything I wondered about, but haven’t sent teens there yet so if I find anything that needs changing I’ll update it.

It was named after a real achievement test, too 😄
    Post edited by babajayne on
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 18,301 Member
    edited November 16
    @imhappy @ChampandGirlie @elanorbreton @babajayne
    @AquaGamer1212 @GeniusSimmerGirl @BlkBarbiegal @Gordy

Thanks for picking up the ball and running with it everyone. :)
    I have been thinking about it myself and jotting down notes while at work. :p

-I would like to think of it as a private prep-school in partnership with Foxbury and Britechester to keep the rivalry between their schools friendly and less adversarial. This is best done by shaping students before they arrive.
    [Alternative: Two prep-schools, one focused on getting into a Distinguished Degree program at Britechester and the other school focused on Foxbury.] I might consider the alternative. I could put each one on its related campus.

-I will probably send students to University four at a time at the most.
    This is convenient because I can have room for a Headmaster and a guidance counselor.
    The headmaster will probably be employed in business. The guidance councilor will be employed as a teacher with maxed parenting skills.
    The lot will be fairly large with small homes, or a wing of the building, to house the headmaster and guidance councilor.
    This leaves 2 students who will probably remain because they have not developed enough to go on to University.

-The headmaster and guidance councilor will be motherloded the money to initially form the school.
    Once I find out what the bills are for the school, the attendance fees can be calculated to cover the school bills plus a profit for the school. Whatever that is it can be divided by six and that's what each parent must transfer to their child going to the school.

-School name: Smuggsworth Preparatory School, taken from The Sims 3 Boarding school name.

-Those students who age up to young adult will begin a internship period where they work in their careers for as many levels as they can until the whole group has a least two career levels. 4 of them will be shipped off to University to pursue their degrees.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    DU.png
    It's official, Windenburg is now very close to Britechester.
    The Laurel library is now in Windenburg.
    11-16-19_9-05-52nbspAM.png

Its old location is the future site of Smuggsworth Prep school dormitory.
    Which is nice because it is between the two Universities.
    11-16-19_9-10-11nbspAM.png
    DU.png
    @CK213 Your setup seems to be shaping up well! Great ideas.

I am really not enjoying playing my 8 teens at once. 😂 I wasn’t thinking about them having mood swings with no parent around to help. The beds I started out with were cheap (I wanted everything to be as cheap as possible without being “uncomfortable”) and the first harvest of money trees allowed me to buy them all Princess Cordelia beds, but before that it was rough. I couldn’t even get them to work on skill building between school, homework, and keeping their needs decent. The butler helps a little but doesn’t cook until I ask her to. I decided to give them vacation days on Tuesday and Thursday to give them more time in between school days to work on everything, but honestly, I’m dreading playing them because it’s such a pain to constantly have to check on everyone. I’m rethinking my plan, I might use the lot for clubs to meet and work on certain skills. Right now there are some bugs going on in uni that I’d like to wait for fixes for before sending these kids anyway (missing presentation boards, classes being too easy to miss)

So it’s good advice to have 4 or so teens at your prep school instead of such an overwhelming number, it was wasting more time than helping them, IMO! 😆
    babajayne wrote: »
    @CK213 Your setup seems to be shaping up well! Great ideas.

I am really not enjoying playing my 8 teens at once. 😂 I wasn’t thinking about them having mood swings with no parent around to help. The beds I started out with were cheap (I wanted everything to be as cheap as possible without being “uncomfortable”) and the first harvest of money trees allowed me to buy them all Princess Cordelia beds, but before that it was rough. I couldn’t even get them to work on skill building between school, homework, and keeping their needs decent. The butler helps a little but doesn’t cook until I ask her to. I decided to give them vacation days on Tuesday and Thursday to give them more time in between school days to work on everything, but honestly, I’m dreading playing them because it’s such a pain to constantly have to check on everyone. I’m rethinking my plan, I might use the lot for clubs to meet and work on certain skills. Right now there are some bugs going on in uni that I’d like to wait for fixes for before sending these kids anyway (missing presentation boards, classes being too easy to miss)

So it’s good advice to have 4 or so teens at your prep school instead of such an overwhelming number, it was wasting more time than helping them, IMO! 😆

Actually I was thinking of six, with four going on to Uni.
    Now my other idea is sounding better. 2 prep schools, one focused on going for Distiguised Degrees at Britechester and the other focused on Foxbury. Four teens at a time.

I changed my mind on the career for the 2 adults running the place.
    They will both be in the Education career. Only the headmaster will be take the Administrator branch and the councilor will take the professor branch. It will be a while before any of my sims will take advantage of this, so once my custom dorms are done, I will play both these sims and make them earn their degrees and their positions. :)
    DU.png