Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Uni Fees Not Expensive

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    izecson wrote: »
    Ans what the pros of taking student loans if the tuitions cost is cheap?

Possibly for adding a little difficulty because it adds interest.

Or just storytelling. Maybe a Sim who forgot to apply for scholarships, or their parents won't support them even though they have piles of money type thing. Or a Sim who wants to live lavishly while at university.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Secretly use a cheat to deduct your sim's money manually. 😀
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I've noticed that if you want to start the game in a more expensive house due to the larger size of the household, bills can be pretty expensive when your sims are starting jobs at low levels, until you get a few promotions in. Presumably the same will apply to sims who live in decent sized university housing (not dorms). So they may need loans to cover the cost of their housing, especially if they don't have a job while they are studying.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    munroele wrote: »
    The USA is the only country in the world with stupid high uni fees. Having them be affordable is the more universal experience, so I'd argue it's better. Mod the fees to be stupid high, rather than mod them down, if you really want.

That’s not necessarily true. I’m from the UK and uni fees are currently £9K per year. Not to talk about additional loans for living, etc...

Yeah, they removed the Maintenance Grants to pay for living expenses and replaced them with loans. I was lucky that I decided to go when I did. They increased the fees and removed the grants just a couple of years after I started. When you think about costs of living, our post-recession period and the difficult housing and job markets, all of those things really do add up. I read that the USA is more expensive but I still think the UK costs are high. :(
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Tuition fees are low. Textbooks are not.
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    This could get quite interesting, though. When you bear in mind that now, you can transfer funds when a Sim moves out, you could decide to not let them take too much of the family funds with them when they move out. If the books are expensive, they might want to use the money they take with them for books and let the student loans cover the tuition. Bearing in mind that's per term, it could rack up for a student who hasn't taken a lot of family funds with them c050.gif
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,672 Member
    I totally agree, it's way too cheap. Create and sell one painting and you have your Uni costs covered... I'd prefer if some of my sims could not afford going, or the cost would make them choose for another career route. Just like in real life.

In my game I plan to allow only a limited number of students attending Uni every so and so many years. I think I will have a local fee in order to apply locally, meaning I'll manually add minimum §3000 to the costs.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Humility925Humility925 Posts: 152 Member
    edited November 2019
    You forgot sims is not like real life, yes sims do had easy life than we do in real life, let alone as vampire immortality or spellcaster copy $10,000 and resold in pocket sell to unknow who would buy ton of $10,000 in matter of seconds to be richest of all sims without a job. In real life, I felt that uni in real life kind of unreasonable cost to common people, and rob people blind, that's just me. At least sims' uni are reasonable and easy life.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    You forgot sims is not like real life, yes sims do had easy life than we do in real life, let alone as vampire immortality or spellcaster copy $10,000 and resold in pocket sell to unknow who would buy ton of $10,000 in matter of seconds to be richest of all sims without a job. In real life, I felt that uni in real life kind of unreasonable cost to common people, and rob people blind, that's just me. At least sims' uni are reasonable and easy life.

Easy life is boring though 🙃 (for some of us).
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I've noticed that if you want to start the game in a more expensive house due to the larger size of the household, bills can be pretty expensive when your sims are starting jobs at low levels, until you get a few promotions in. Presumably the same will apply to sims who live in decent sized university housing (not dorms). So they may need loans to cover the cost of their housing, especially if they don't have a job while they are studying.

Hmm... does the dorm-cost affect the Uni-loans? If I use cheats and put expensive stuff everywhere would the loans go up. At least I wouldn’t have to use mods that way.

I would like the loans to be a bit of a challenge, more fun playing that way for me.
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    This could get quite interesting, though. When you bear in mind that now, you can transfer funds when a Sim moves out, you could decide to not let them take too much of the family funds with them when they move out. If the books are expensive, they might want to use the money they take with them for books and let the student loans cover the tuition. Bearing in mind that's per term, it could rack up for a student who hasn't taken a lot of family funds with them c050.gif

This. My sim got like 500 simoleons from her mom before she went to university. So yeah, in that instance those loans were a lifesaver. She can't even buy one book with that little money.
  • Options
    _Sandra__Sandra_ Posts: 135 Member
    Look, whether the cost of attending university or not in the game is realistic depends. Going to university is 100% free in my country. Maybe the team felt that education should be cheap and accessible to everyone and that's why they didn't make it super expensive. I like that.
    I don't think there's any chance that they would reconsider, it's too late. But I'm sure someone will make a mod to make university more expensive soon enough, so that should solve your problem.
  • Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    @_Sandra_

It's more about gameplay value, than in-game cost vs realism. There's basically no challenge. My new sim is making thousands per day just by creating and selling paintings. 1 painting paid for the entire term.

But yet, we have to deal with the house rent skyrocketing because we purchased ideas like new lamps, or renovated something simple like a closet. We can't even keep and store the items we find around the worlds because of this added expense which isn't shy to include our inventories as well.

IRL when was the last time your property tax bill increased because you purchased a bunch of pictures for your wall? Or, placed some nick nacks on a couple new shelves?

University however, something that DOES imply a high cost IRL, especially here in North America, and places like the UK the sims' team decides to package it all up into a DLC that offers no gameplay challenge.

I could create a new sim as we speak, and have more than enough money to achieve university simply by catching fish in my free time. In just 15 minutes I found a few trinkets in the Sulani world that I sold for nearly 400. I wasn't even trying to find stuff. I went to make a coffee and didn't pause my game. When I got back minutes later, my sim had found by then 3 items from digging in the sand. If I would have decided to make a sandwhich with my coffee she may have found the entire uni-term cost right there. Where's the challenge???
  • Options

Hmm... does the dorm-cost affect the Uni-loans? If I use cheats and put expensive stuff everywhere would the loans go up. At least I wouldn’t have to use mods that way.

I would like the loans to be a bit of a challenge, more fun playing that way for me.

I haven't tested that yet but it seems logical.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I updated the Drake Hall dorms a little and my sim couldn't afford her bills. Electricity has been shut off and the water will be next. She currently has 2 classes and an elective so there's no time to get a job. Her dorm mates don't seem to be contributing at all :( She had a couple of scholarships and 500 simoleans from home and bought a few things to improve her time at university (bike, mini fridge, Britechester clothing). The dorm fees were approx 2800. I usually turn the cost down by 50% with MCCC. I did it for regular housing when my sim was still a teen but forgot to do it for apartments.

My sim is definitely going to need more money so I will skip the elective next time round so she can do some freelance writing.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,672 Member
    I was disappointed seeing those low costs in the game videos, but have later learned those copsts were for 1 singled term, so it helps a bit when the costs are 4-5 as high.

Even so it's not much of a challenge. Although it's a nice thought making for all sims, rich and poor, to be abble accessing Uni, I want my very poor sims to actually not going there. At least, not affording staying on campus, but rather stay at home. It's not logical to me that a sim from a poor family should get a Uni degree good enough to jump straight into the top levels of any given career. I want the majority of my poor sims to stay poor - at least not becoming the elite of my community just because of Uni.

I can't play all my sims through Uni anyway because it would become boring, and there's so many other tasks to focus on in my game. So I would be fine having to pick my students from the middle class and up. Again meaning costs could have been doubled, at least. Hey, these students will get very well paid jobs when they graduate, they can easily handle a bigger loan. Those failing might be in trouble, but that would be a fun challenge :)

So, I'm adding an additional local fee that will be charged anyone who get enrolled. It's also a way to make it easier to pick who will be going.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    So far, i'm only testing the uni plan while living at home idea. I signed my sim up for 3 classes and no electives for each term. She's just beginning term 3 which cost her 720 minus 2 scholorships of 300 each. So she had to pay 120 out of pocket for term 3.

(So basically catch a couple fish, or find a snowglobe and presto.... uni paid for.) Create and sell a few paintings a week to take care of your home expenses... ie; rent, eating,etc.

Money wise.... i'm finding zero challenge attending university while living at home. If it got any cheaper I may as well get it all for FREE.

I noticed somewhere a complaint about book cost. I'm not sure what that's about yet. I'm thinking maybe things work different if you choose to live on campus while attending uni. For my sim, (living at home), she is able to study, and complete homework for each of her 3 classes (subjects) using the same single book that comes with enrollment. She didn't have to purchase anything else to complete her first 2 terms..... and she achieved a GPA of A+ for term 1 and for term 2. Even the presentation board was giving to her for free.

The book idea is part of the low cost issue. IMO, my sim should have also had to buy a book for each of her classes, not have 1 single book magically appear in her inventory which represents absolutely every subject she is studying. I should have had to go to the uni kiosk and find the book for my class, and buy it. Without it.... I can't study and do homework for my class. The same idea for the presentation board. Maybe just have to buy that once and keep it. But still have to buy it.

Again, maybe it works different if you live in a dorm, but attending uni while living at home, there's basically zero expenses worth talking about. As I said, term 3 for my sim cost her 120 simoleons for 3 classes.

I'd love to hear more feedback on the dorm experience. Does anyone have to buy books for their classes? Are they maybe a non-needed option?
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited November 2019
    CK213 wrote: »
    Does the Value of the dorm impact tuition costs?
    Mine will be living in a huge dorm. I am hoping tuition reflects how much the place costs.

My dorm isn't finished yet, but it has appeared in the enrollment process.
    So far the housing cost is adding 3,463 simoleons to the bill. It should cost nearly 4,000 by the time it's complete.
    The pre-made Britechester dorms range from $331 to $593.
    11-12-19_8-00-13nbspAM.png
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    To any normal American (including me) the prices are OUTRAGEOUSLY cheap!

To the rest of the world, it's normal. (You pay once for each term, and it can get quite expensive!)

They were going for more of a European vibe here, so this makes sense.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    TinyrazorPlayerTinyrazorPlayer Posts: 49 Member
    edited November 2019
    muzickmage wrote: »
    I'd love to hear more feedback on the dorm experience

I downloaded YorkieSims dorm and added a few £15K violins to the property and the term fee was nearly £2K per term. In my Sims 3rd term, I opted to move out of the dorm to have a lot with less sims so I downloaded another lot and renovated it to include more expensive items. The term cost for that house was £3K.

By the time my sim graduated, her loan was £8.5K which I was more than happy with. Unfortunately, she forgot to pay once and the repo man came. This is the gameplay I was after. The minimum loan repayment was £500. It was also daily and was so confused. I thought it would’ve been like a weekly bill. 🤷🏾‍♂️
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    I found the costs about right for me. Parents paid and gave them extra cash - they arrive with zip unless they do and then they have to buy stuff from the kiosks which are not cheap so I'm happy overall. True I didn't need a loan and my sims got scholarships which may not always happen. One sim was so cash-strapped in her dorm she considered getting a job until she found a cheap camera hanging around and took pictures to supplement her income.
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Sooner or later, a Mod will be released that will increase the cost of fees, don't worry about that. I'm waiting for something like that because I want even more of a challenge for my poor Sim students. [Insert evil laughter!] :D
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    In Czechia uni is either for free or extremely cheap though I find this tuition ridiculously low. I was really looking forward to spend a lot of my sims' money but nope. They'll all still stay Rockfellers.

I like that the books are quite expensive.

I take it back. After playing around with this EP I find them expensive. Very.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    In Czechia uni is either for free or extremely cheap though I find this tuition ridiculously low. I was really looking forward to spend a lot of my sims' money but nope. They'll all still stay Rockfellers.

I like that the books are quite expensive.

I take it back. After playing around with this EP I find them expensive. Very.

I agree.
    It's more than I initially thought, especially after forking over 4 grand for a laptop.
    I had two sims. 8G. Toss in my expensive dorms and all the goodies they will be buying from the kiosk, I don't think I will be complaining about things being too cheap. The living situation is works though. Sims who have the funds will live in the exclusive dorms and I will experience Uni variety depending on what my sims can afford.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    AlexGRNorthAlexGRNorth Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm in Canada in 2D/3D animation. Already have A LOT of loans for my previous studies in 3D at Cegep and my semester, coast me 1300$. BUT my mother works at university so I had around 300 to 500$ less to pay than the other people in my class. With that, I had to pay the softwares (1100$) and the computer (4000$) so yeah. 250$ is REALLY low for me