Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Consequences for bad childhoods

One thing I think needs to be put back into the sims is a consequence for bad childhoods.

In Sims 2 if a sim "grew up badly" you wouldn't get to pick the trait they aged up with. I think something like that needs to be implemented into the sims 4.

For Toddlers:
Growing up badly: would be if they didn't reach at least level 3 for walking and talking and level 2 for potty. Consequence: you don't get to pick their trait.
Growing up good: would be if they got the happy toddler trait or the top notch toddler trait. Reward: you get to pick their trait

For Children:
Growing up badly: If they get bad grades and don't achieve at least one aspiration they grow up badly. Same consequence as before.
Growing up alright: They get mid-range grades and achieve 2 aspirations they grow up alright. Reward: you get to pick the trait.
Growing up great: They get high grades, achieve all their aspirations and have a good birthday party Reward: You get to pick your trait and get some sort of bonus trait as a boost (I'm not sure what this trait would involve so I'm open to ideas)

For Teens:
Growing up badly: They get bad grades and perform poorly at their job.
Growing up alright: mid-range grades
Growing up great: High grades, highest promotion available, great birthday party. Reward: you get to pick your trait and get an extra trait slot as an adult to put another trait in.

Anyway that's all my ideas, feel free to add your own :)
A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png

Comments

• CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    someone could technically do all these things of their own volition though, right?
    like, if I wanted a "bad" child to get a random trait, I could just randomize their trait as they aged up.
    If I wanted them to do poorly at work, I could just have them slack off at work.

I'm not really a fan of these sorts of things being completely forced on me when the option to do it already exists.. because what if someone wanted to play a sim who had a rough start in life and then turned everything around? You don't get any say in the matter in that case.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    HARD NO from me.

This would not work at all with my rotational playstyle. There are several families that I only play for two or three days at a time but I still care for them very much. I would much rather have more character-traits that are optional and can be stacked like the traits from the parenthood-game pack. Those are fun and easy to add to sims with cheats.

I would get very little joy out of this and a lot of headache for my rotational families.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    edited November 2019
    I think there are already consequences built into the game if you have the Parenthood expansion pack. Even if you don't, you miss out on the reward traits for having your toddlers learn skills and your children completing aspirations if the young ones are neglected. Parenthood actually gives the possibility of negative traits. You do have until the end of the teen years to straighten things out, but the negative impact can be seen earlier. Parenthood is my most favorite pack because of how much it adds to family life.

I wouldn't mind an extra trait slot, but I would have preferred it to have been added at the end of University. It would also be better if traits meant more in the game. (Emotions tend to take over.) I don't want to have my ability to assign traits taken away though. I want to have more control over my Sims, not less.

That said, I think we need more negative consequences and surprise events in general. I just watched Plumbella playing Sims 2, and it was a livelier game for sure! It was hilarious to watch and I got a bit envious of how active the Sims were and how many different things were going on at community lots.
    Post edited by telemwill on
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,936 Member
    edited November 2019
    Not to be the one to correct, but...
    If I remember it correctly (and I really do), The Sims 2 didn't have the trait system yet. Whether a sim aged up well or badly depended on their aspiration bar (badly if red, well if green or up). The only thing I remember that affecting is the memory sim gets and how long their elder stage lasts when it's an adult aging up. Sims did habe personality lines, but the only way to change it without cheats is to have an older family member encourage them to be more the way they are. It takes a long time to get or lose a point in the personality, especially when the age gap is smaller.
    The Sims 3 was the first game to bring in traits. Growing up well or badly was only for toddlers, children, and teens (unlike in The Sims 2) and it affected whether the game picks a bad trait, a random trait, or lets you pick a new one. You get to pick your sims' traits there if your sim's pregnancy went well, you have taught the toddler all three skills, and when child's or teen's grades were positive.

Personally, I like the way the game currently is. Players being able to pick the traits + the character values from Parenthood.
  • TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    If I remember it correctly (and I really do), The Sims 2 didn't have the trait system yet. Whether a sim aged up well or badly depended on their aspiration bar (badly if red, well if green or up). The only thing I remember that affecting is the memory sim gets and how long their elder stage lasts when it's an adult aging up. Sims did habe personality lines, but the only way to change it without cheats is to have an older family member encourage them to be more the way they are. It takes a long time to get or lose a point in the personality, especially when the age gap is smaller.
    The Sims 3 was the first game to bring in traits. Growing up well or badly was only for toddlers, children, and teens (unlike in The Sims 2) and it affected whether the game picks a bad trait, a random trait, or lets you pick a new one. You get to pick your sims' traits there if your sim's pregnancy went well, you have taught the toddler all three skills, and when child's or teen's grades were positive.

Personally, I like the way the game currently is. Players being able to pick the traits + the character values from Parenthood.

You're right, it is sims 3. I got them mixed up for some reason. I think I was remembering the "growing up badly" thing from the memory system.

Anyway point is, personally, I feel like sims 4 is too easy. This would add a little more difficulty and you know what, just to round out the idea. Let's say they add the option to switch of trait randomization in the gameplay menu. They already have several other features you can turn off through that.

I just really want some consequences and also an extra trait slot if I do well.
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,936 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »

You're right, it is sims 3. I got them mixed up for some reason. I think I was remembering the "growing up badly" thing from the memory system.

Anyway point is, personally, I feel like sims 4 is too easy. This would add a little more difficulty and you know what, just to round out the idea. Let's say they add the option to switch of trait randomization in the gameplay menu. They already have several other features you can turn off through that.

I just really want some consequences and also an extra trait slot if I do well.

It's understandable to want some difficulty. If I were you, I'd check my sim's stats before aging up and then click on the dice to give my sim a random trait (the first one if neutral or until a negative one appears if bad) or choose it myself if "sim aged up well".