Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Origin - updated with Legacy Edition available (apparently).

SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
I had just closed my Sims 4 game and Origin came up with the following message.

Origin requires a critical update

A critical update will be required in 22h 3m. Please exit your game and restart Origin before then or you will be placed into offline mode.

Then I signed out, quit Origin, started and signed on again and this message came up on the top of the Origin screen.

! Adding the Sims 4 Legacy Edition to your library may cause it to download automatically to your device, including 64-bit devices where it's not required.

So be careful what you download is my advice. For a minute I thought my laptop was deemed too poor and being offered the Legacy Edition but it's a good Omen gaming one so I think I will be OK.

It looks like you probably will need to sign out and quit and start again just before the usual update times if you don't want to be summarily put offline by Origin. It might need some more elucidation moderators as I don't quite understand what to do. @EA_Rtas @EA_Mai

PS: I didn't get that required update by signing off, quitting and restarting today.

UPDATE
Origin has updated itself this morning.....

I've Found the Legacy Edition available for download in the Extras column of the packs you can buy for Sims 4 in Origin

It's with the "Add-ons under the Bundles available, with the Party, hats, digital sound track etc.

You don't need to download it unless you actually need it if you are told your computer won't run DU. I suppose it is available now if you want it.

PS: There are 3 bundles available now, Worth looking at.
Post edited by Simburian on

Comments

• SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    My Origin updated today, so I'm hoping that was the patch.

Regarding the Legacy edition, at least on Macs: if you don't need it, Origin won't automatically add it to your library. You need to search for it in the store.

Unless you're running a system that is no longer supported, in which case you'll be prompted to download the Legacy Edition. From the Legacy store page: "You only need to download Legacy Edition if you received a message saying you need it when you tried to open The Sims 4. "
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited November 2019
    I had the same messages.
    After I had restarted Origin (after downloading the update) and I tried to start Sims 4 my desktop shortcut didn't work anymore, I had to delete it and go to origin games folder, Sims 4, and I noticed bin and bin_le. I guess the second one is legacy one. I created a new shortcut to my desktop and luckily it worked.
    I have no clue if I can delete the bin_legacy edition. I don't want to mess up my game. I'm not a computer expert. :/
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited November 2019
    I downloaded so both the regular and legacy edition will be on my origin account. I have an older "kids computer" that will run the legacy edition. It is so my kids can still play, but not use the same online features. According to how I understood it, you can have both installed, but it will only run legacy if the 64 bit update is not working.
    Post edited by NorthDakotaGamer on
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,287 Member
    Oh, I'm confused. I got that message also. Plus, my Origin updated itself once I opened it up today. I downloaded the patch, since once I put myself in offline mode, EA wouldn't allow me to run the game. It refused access to me suggesting the code was invalid or some such thing. Say, what?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I'm going to wait until those hours, now less than the 22, have passed and try again. Unfortunately Microsoft ruined my evening by downloading and installing several updates which took some time because they didn't tell me it was being at the point of installing and I had trouble starting up again because I had cut it off. Now I've gone to Advanced settings and paused all updates after it for a couple of weeks. It's so annoying as even Outlook refuses to acknowledge I own it. Origin cannot compete with the annoyances of Windows 10 updates. :#:#:#

• NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited November 2019
    What the update did for me is that it created a Bin_LE folder in the game's root folder where the regular Bin folder already is. Folder.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

edited November 2019
    Copied to beginning message!

Origin has updated itself this morning.....

I've Found the Legacy Edition available for download in the Extras column of the packs you can buy for Sims 4 in Origin

It's with the "Add-ons under the Bundles available, with the Party, hats, digital sound track etc.

You don't need to download it unless you actually need it if you are told your computer won't run DU. I suppose it is available now if you want it.

PS: There are 3 bundles available now, Worth looking at.
  • wingweaver84wingweaver84 Posts: 80 Member
    So in other words,unless the computer is unable to run the standard version,we can't use the legacy version. I could care less about the gallery and online access,which is why I wanted to use it in the first place.
    A friendly reminder that Project Rene has not yet been confirmed as Sims 5.
  • milisvadamilisvada Posts: 3 New Member
    I've got an older iMac I play the sims 4 on. Got the updates of the new Legacy to download so I can still play on that computer. BUT! After uninstalling the sims 4 (yes I actually did that), reloading origin, take down the option to update game automatic in origin and installing my whole game again - I STILL get the same message that the game won't open
    "Unable to start:
    Initialization error at start up."

Can someone please help.
    . I wonder if it was a good idea to uninstall the older Sims 4 before you properly played the Legacy Edition. Did you download the LE from the Extra's column on Origin? I got that message once when I downloaded a game on sale that they didn't support anymore. It was eventually sorted when I got through to the support section. @SimGuruNick might help if you are on Twitter.

Crinrict has some information that might help you
    https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2014/09/unable-to-start-initialization-error-at-startup/
  • riccardougariccardouga Posts: 436 Member
    edited November 2019
    @Nindigo is it safe to delete the Bin_LE folder?
  • JacobshaniaJacobshania Posts: 1 New Member
    > @riccardouga said:
    > @Nindigo is it safe to delete the Bin_LE folder?

I deleted it due to that my laptop is a 64 bit. I'm testing it and if it crashes.
  • UTOphiUTOphi Posts: 1 New Member
    Ok, so my laptop is a 64 bit like many people here too and for some reason, I have the bin_le installed too since the new update. What I found out by comparing the two folders is that Bin didn't have "ts4.exe", which is basically the game, whereas Bin_le had "ts4.exe".
    I decided to move ts4.exe to the original Bin folder, open it as an administrator, and the game worked correctly!!! :smiley:

I will have to try next to completely delete the legacy bin folder now that I know you can modify that folder :smile: :smile:
  • ParvatiParvati Posts: 251 Member
    My origin auto added legacy to my game, which I don't need or want! I had to uninstall Sims4 and reinstall everything. I went into origin application settings,and saw there is a setting that is auto on "Automatic game updates" that's why it did it even though I don't need or want it. so if you are having this problem as well be sure to turn that off!