Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's watch: The Sims 4 Discover University Deep Dive Livestream

Comments

• brooksgjbrooksgj Posts: 1 New Member
    i don't understand what you all might be talking about but i be glad when car are back
  • EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    rjssim wrote: »
    I didn't have time to watch the livestream, but does anyone know if she is actually in the game or if she (image below) was used only in the trailer?

75424781_2448922715220313_8259587568975216640_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQm-w8CV3_BWrWcIrq0JVFLXQAm8a83h2cShn-lkXMNpMIbPKSxmv7L8Pmgm1tKhgnA&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc2-1.fna&oh=cf90a2ebda9025ea10d2f08d0db61d98&oe=5E491F4C

She's in the game, she was shown briefly when the guru hovered over her household. She's in Britechester with Julia from the gameplay trailer.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
    EdithV wrote: »
    rjssim wrote: »
    I didn't have time to watch the livestream, but does anyone know if she is actually in the game or if she (image below) was used only in the trailer?

75424781_2448922715220313_8259587568975216640_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQm-w8CV3_BWrWcIrq0JVFLXQAm8a83h2cShn-lkXMNpMIbPKSxmv7L8Pmgm1tKhgnA&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc2-1.fna&oh=cf90a2ebda9025ea10d2f08d0db61d98&oe=5E491F4C

She's in the game, she was shown briefly when the guru hovered over her household. She's in Britechester with Julia from the gameplay trailer.

Thanks for the confirmation.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I just watched briefly on my phone and didn't understand everything but ... Are we finally able to split the household money when a Sim moves out??? Or was that only for students?

I'm not sure but I think that was a student loan.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    Aine wrote: »
    Just popping in to tell you I really LOVE SimGuruAzure. She's amazing, and I wish she could be boss of everything Sims forever. <3

You might enjoy this article:

https://amysmartgirls.com/smart-questions-for-the-sims-4-producer-azure-bowie-d965ccaec5b2

She is like one of my favorite producers and has the best laugh AND smile out there.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    EA_Mai wrote: »
    Simmers! I know you have been looking forward learning more details about The Sims 4 Discover University - well, nothing better than a Deep Dive Livestream for SimGurus to show you the pack!

Mark the date if you haven't already: November 8, 11AM PT / 7PM GMT. (What time is that for you? Click here to find out)

Join @SimGuruAzure and @SimGuruSteph as they walk us through CAS, Build-Buy mode, the world and gameplay!

Edited: missed the livestream? Watch it any time here!:

The thing I got most excited for:
    A SIM HAS MY FIRST NAME!!!! And it's spelled exactly the same: Hillary <3
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    @alan650111 sorry but I just opened this thread, not sure if you answered later in here but are roomies npcs?
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    @SelinaKyles yes, they are NPCs! :)
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited November 2019
    When did The Sims become a diorama instead of a game? There was so much talk about imaginative storytelling and features that were left out or half-done to cater to that style.
  • YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    I....I don't know what to say exactly.
    I'm fairly disappointed. They added Hip Hop - AN EP exclusive feature, to another EP. I mean WTH. yes, it's only a radio station, but COME ON you can't just copy paste. it'd be better if they didn't add any at all. They started doing this shi-z a few months back, when they added EP CLOTHES as a free patch update. I PAID FOR THOSE CLOTHES, now you're giving it for free??? If you can't make new ones, DON'T ADD them again to the base game.
    it's just a spit in the face for all the people who have paid for an exclusive content that came in a certain pack. it's just absurd.

also, boring livestream. why wasn't Azure in charge? and please, show me gameplay, THE ACTUAL UNIVERSITY GAMEPLAY, don't give me 70 minutes of robots. yes, they were done well, but come on. if i'm not mistaken I'm not even sure they told us HOW loans work. they just moved the sims into the dorm with some money. was that the loan? what gives?
    and the "its for storytelling" excuse...OH WE CAN'T BB MODE in the dorm BECAUSE OF STORY TELLING? what??? is this just a sentence you blur out when you have literally nothing else to say? oh you didn't get the chance for a stove because of storytelling
    oh we focused on lot traits for the story telling...
    did they rehearse the stream? was the one IN CHARGE actually worked on the pack??? it wasn't a surprise livestream, she could've played a little beforehand to refresh her memory!

I also don't like the fact they don't gave cafeteria IN the dorm, but I guess that's why they gave us mini fridges.
    just..blah...the whole thing is blah... :/

-Yarden.
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    edited November 2019
    they had my wig snatched at them servos and utility bots. simguruazure seems to be really passionate while creating them.

the open cafeteria opens to new drama and clout im gon play. perhaps i could install island living again and play as an undercover mermaid student that swims at water only at nighttime. and the rival teams, students and roommates are more lively and more unique this time around. tuitiion, loans, and scholaraships, oh my, thank god my prayers to satan got finally answered.

and them bikes aren't limited to roads only so strolling would be a thing, i found them very limited in TS3. and there's a new roommate system that isn't limited to britechester like y'all know what am talking about.

also cool with the secret society having a dedicated secret spot to meet up. and that balance between party gimmicks and academics, that's so lit.

after learning so much from livestream today, im now starting to think that this would be one of the best expansion packs to date.
    y'all got bread?
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    edited November 2019
    pearson3 wrote: »
    The stove restrictions on dorms is ridiculous. I really hope that will be modded out fast because I hate restricting options for no tangible reason in the Sims.

I have no idea why they put this restriction on dorms, it doesn't make any sense.

Considering how long it takes for your Sims to eat food anyway, the stove restriction will only make things take a lot longer than is really necessary because of the travelling involved which is not really ideal if your Sims have a lot of classes and homework to complete, and I'm now wondering whether time management is going to be a fun challenge or is just plain annoying.

I'm hoping that the devs will reconsider the restriction and change it before the pack is released so that people won't have to rely on mods.

Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    CAF84 wrote: »
    The forbidden items in dorms is a terrible prescriptive and restrictive mess. In the UK, halls of residence tend to be tiny self contained flats with a kitchen/communal room and then (usually) 6 single rooms. To restrict this to an American norm by introducing a new forbidden feature to stop dorms having kitchens is ridiculous. The idea that restricting features is somehow new and innovative and an actual feature of this pack is so stupid. Please reconsider this Gurus. Other countries have different norms - can we not realise our university experiences with your game? I am only going to consider buying this when a mod has come out fixing this terrible feature.

Not an American norm at all....

No - we had a full kitchen we could use. Unless things have changed in the past er...several decades, I don't think that's unusual in the US. I can understand no stoves in the rooms (major fire hazard in real life, and of course, with Sims...). But really, students only used the kitchen to make something special on a weekend, usually in a group. We ate at the 'Rat'; it was quicker than making our own food and (more importantly) free on the meal plan. Plus, no clean-up.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I understand peoples frustration about the no stove or grills on dorm lots, it certainly limits those who want that, but I myself got very tired of my dorm mates in Sims 3 setting themselves and the dorm on fire. I actually took the stoves out of the dorms myself when playing university in 3, as well as any fireplaces. Wish it was optional though, so you could add it if you wanted it.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    So I'm confused;

You need to complete 12 classes to earn a degree and you can select up to 4 at a time, so what happens when you've completed those 4? does the selection screen appear again so you can select the next 4?

You complete those at the end of the semester and then you get the selection screen again to choose classes for your next semester, until you've completed 12 credits (aka took 12 regular classes).

@alanmichael1: they didn't say if the funds transfer is for every move out, unfortunately. We'll probably find out from GameChanger videos or from the Maxis Monthly if it's a change that's coming in the patch or if it's only when a Sim is enrolling in University.

In general about the stove restriction for dorms: I don't mind it. While some of our dorms had kitchenettes shared between multiple rooms, others didn't and things like hot plates were strictly forbidden (well, we still had them, just hidden at all times).
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    For those who don't want to watch the whole stream, this is a good first part of a two part summary :D

https://youtu.be/HynEagssOhk

I'm very excited about this pack. I really think they included a lot of cool stuff and this definitely won't be as barren or in need of having other content as IL!
  • LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    This livestream was my first look at anything TS4 University related as I stayed away from any news so that I wouldn't create any expectations for myself. I feel like a lot of important information was missing in this livestream? Maybe for the next livestream it would help if the guru's wrote down some important facts and actually plan when and how they will showcase certain features? It was a bit all over the place to be honest. A bit more preparation before future livestreams would be a good thing.

Anyway, I like the idea of these two specific universities. Maybe a third university in a more desert like environment would've been nice (you know for students who usually live in Oasis Springs). I really like the option of studying from home and not moving to a university at all, I can see that working for some of my storylines.

I don't understand the fixation on bunk beds, even though I get that still not having them might be frustrating I personally don't associate college/university with bunkbeds (I live in the Netherlands). A bunk bed is not going to make or break an entire expansion pack for me. I'm going to reserve judgement until I see my favorite youtubers doing their thing with this pack.

Just a little something I wanted to add: seeing the guru's showing off the new outfits in CAS, I couldn't stop being baffled about how we only have three trait slots for our sims at this point. It's insane.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I got my pre-order done :)

Really looking forward to letting my family’s heir go to Uni. No idea what the poor little loner is going to study yet.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    CAF84 wrote: »
    The forbidden items in dorms is a terrible prescriptive and restrictive mess. In the UK, halls of residence tend to be tiny self contained flats with a kitchen/communal room and then (usually) 6 single rooms. To restrict this to an American norm by introducing a new forbidden feature to stop dorms having kitchens is ridiculous. The idea that restricting features is somehow new and innovative and an actual feature of this pack is so stupid. Please reconsider this Gurus. Other countries have different norms - can we not realise our university experiences with your game? I am only going to consider buying this when a mod has come out fixing this terrible feature.

Not an American norm at all....

No - we had a full kitchen we could use. Unless things have changed in the past er...several decades, I don't think that's unusual in the US. I can understand no stoves in the rooms (major fire hazard in real life, and of course, with Sims...). But really, students only used the kitchen to make something special on a weekend, usually in a group. We ate at the 'Rat'; it was quicker than making our own food and (more importantly) free on the meal plan. Plus, no clean-up.

Exactly. My dorm had a common area at the end of each hallway (I lived in the LLC dorm) which had a living room and kitchenette fit with a stove and microwave. You had to have a mini fridge to house your items though. The other dorms were apartment style with full kitchens in them....this restriction is ridiculous 🙄
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I don't like the stove restirction in dorms, but thinking they probably made it to differentiate dorm gameplay from other type of student housing. I have had sims who live mainly on quick meals (they're pretty filling actually), so it might be doable even without going to the cafeteria. There's also a possibility that sim's hunger bar might go up when they're on a lecture, like it does at work. Just putting this bit of hope here, because I don't want to go through that cafeteria loading screen daily either.
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    edited November 2019
    musteni wrote: »
    I don't like the stove restirction in dorms, but thinking they probably made it to differentiate dorm gameplay from other type of student housing. I have had sims who live mainly on quick meals (they're pretty filling actually), so it might be doable even without going to the cafeteria. There's also a possibility that sim's hunger bar might go up when they're on a lecture, like it does at work. Just putting this bit of hope here, because I don't want to go through that cafeteria loading screen daily either.

I think the going theory is that NPC roommates cannot be trusted with ovens and having that many sims route around a kitchen.

But only stoves and grills are forbidden sims can still live off microwave meals, coffee, cafeteria food, salads, pizza, ice cream, popcorn, cauldron mac and cheese, cupcakes, doughnuts, and hors d'oeuvres.
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but near the end of the stream, the gurus said that you can add the cafeteria station to dorms. So you could conceivably build a dorm which has a first floor with a common area and a cafeteria, and with the bedrooms and study nooks all upstairs. This would mean that your sims wouldn't need to leave the lot and go through loading screens to have a proper meal, and wouldn't have to live on ramen and microwave meals. I don't know how easy it would be to add a cafeteria to the dorm that they showed though, since it seems to be a shell with a penthouse on top. Maybe, since they said that lot is editable, a common area/ cafeteria could be added via a basement?
  • purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member

Wow, I finally got to watch the whole stream after I got home from work last night and I'm so excited now.

I love how customizable the university experience is this time around. Want to be a full time student and live in a dorm? Sure. Want to live in an apartment in San Myshuno? Go for it. Want to take just one class while still going to work? Why not? For the first time, going to university feels like its' been integrated into the game rather than a separate experience tacked onto it.

I also really love the "degree/distinguished degree" system. Not only does it give a distinction between the two schools beyond the aesthetic of the campus, it provides a reason to focus on getting your teen's skills and grades up even if you don't need a scholarship. All Sims get into a school, but if you want to get into the best school for what you want to study you have to work for it. I also love that you can visit the university before enrolling.

I don't know how much I'll actually use the roommate system outside of the university, but I"m glad the option is there. And I really like the solution they came up with for dorms. It wouldn't make sense to have them completely open to build/buy while your Sim is living there (as they mentioned, you wouldn't be able to paint the walls in your dorm) but while it's empty you can change it from manage worlds. The draggable objects are a nice touch, too, especially the chest that you can load up beforehand. (So, packing for college is a thing now.) And to be perfectly honest, I don't mind the stove restrictions. I barely trust my active Sims around a heat source, let alone NPC roommates. Although, I will most likely be editing the dorms before anyone moves in to put a cafeteria station on the lot so they don't have to go through a loading screen to eat.

(Also, seemingly arbitrary restrictions in the name of safety is kind of a part of dorm life. Maybe not stoves, but I remember getting a page-long list of other items I couldn't bring with me because it would be some sort of safety hazard.) ]

The world looks gorgeous, and I was really not expecting swimmable water! And the robots look like fun too-they remind me of the ones in TS2's Open for Business. Even the CAS selections don't look awful! I can see my teen and YA Sims wearing a lot of what's included, which isn't something I can say often.

Yes, I do wish that the kids could ride bikes and I'll have to do some creative planning to figure out the whole aging during university thing, but overall I'm really happy with what I've seen so far.
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    The discussion about stove restrictions makes me wonder if it's possible to sneak in a barbecue/grill in the personal inventory of the students?
    I'll be editing the hell out of the dorm rooms before I move my young adults in there anyway so I'll have some rooms for just one person with a little kitchen in it.
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    LiesSim wrote: »
    The discussion about stove restrictions makes me wonder if it's possible to sneak in a barbecue/grill in the personal inventory of the students?
    I'll be editing the hell out of the dorm rooms before I move my young adults in there anyway so I'll have some rooms for just one person with a little kitchen in it.

There are lot restrictions and they showed in the stream that you couldn't have either a stove or a grill. But I have no doubt someone will mod this issue away (maybe LittleMsSam?). As for grills, I didn't know you could put them in personal inventories like you can with coolers.