Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's watch: The Sims 4 Discover University Deep Dive Livestream

Comments

• JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    I'm really excited about the world. I'm annoyed at the stove restriction in dorms, but I'm hoping that will be something not too hard to mod out. In the UK our dorms almost always have a small kitchen/common area. I don't get the logic behind excluding it at all.
    But generally, I'm happy with the size of the world. It's similar in size to the last few EP worlds, so about what I was expecting.

Did they say if the lot type for dorms was restricted just to Britechester? I wonder if you could make dorms in another world. I'd love to make a mini satellite campus in Windenburg, with dorms and bars/libraries/etc. for the students.

I don't remember when they said about kids not being able to ride bikes, I must have missed it if they did. But that would be awful. Not that I'm a big family player, but learning to ride a bike is a big thing as a kid and excluding them from it is bad, plus as bikes are pack dependent I doubt they would add it in later in another pack, as DLC that requires other DLC went down terribly last time.

I'm pretty happy overall though. The few things that annoyed me are probably some of the easiest things to mod (term length being only 5 days is the other one) and they are smaller things. Can't wait to see the game changer footage though later this weekend :).
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    Just popping in to tell you I really LOVE SimGuruAzure. She's amazing, and I wish she could be boss of everything Sims forever. <3

She was the middle one right?? If so <3 I love her too she was a sweetheart. Wish she had control
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Just popping in to tell you I really LOVE SimGuruAzure. She's amazing, and I wish she could be boss of everything Sims forever. <3

I was thinking the same thing! She made me laugh so often. Really wish they included her on streams more, she's awesome.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Well, most of my questions were answered, but not all in ways that really made that answer relevant to my play specifically. Gonna have to see some other let's plays from the GameChangers over the next few weeks/couple of months.

Still, I will be purchasing when the stars align correctly. :smile:

I will be playing it Friday....

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Well, most of my questions were answered, but not all in ways that really made that answer relevant to my play specifically. Gonna have to see some other let's plays from the GameChangers over the next few weeks/couple of months.

Still, I will be purchasing when the stars align correctly. :smile:

I will be playing it Friday....

Me Thursday thanks to a little thing called VPN >:)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    somewhsome wrote: »
    MsTiquelle wrote: »
    Wow-another library and another bar plunked in.......I guess EA is too lazy to give us brand new lot types/venues. I have no hope for future packs,because they'll mostl ike have bars,libraries and gyms plunked in as well.

What's wrong with a library and bar at university?

Where I live, you have to be 21 to drink, so most students wouldn't actually be allowed in a real-life bar.

That is a really American thing though. Most of the world lets you drink at 18 (some even earlier), so University students drink a fair amount and having bars/clubs/pubs on campus or nearby is really common. I'm glad they're not making the University too American for once! I like they've skipped Greek houses, plus they said the weather is based on England & I was definitely getting British and European vibes from the whole world in general.

Yeah, and in the Sims world you can order drinks at bar even if you're a teen. So why forbid students to drink? It's not even real alcohol, makes no sense.

But why are your teens in bars. Mine never are in my game. Back in the beginning of the Sims 4 I used to see parents bringing child age in and I put a stop to that in a heartbeat - but never had teens wander into them until the bowling alley - So I stopped putting bowling alleys in bars and made teen hang outs instead. No bars. I only have very few bars in my entire game. Karaoke and dance bars in Windenburg and CL and one bar that was there in Strangertown. All the rest are history.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    somewhsome wrote: »
    MsTiquelle wrote: »
    Wow-another library and another bar plunked in.......I guess EA is too lazy to give us brand new lot types/venues. I have no hope for future packs,because they'll mostl ike have bars,libraries and gyms plunked in as well.

What's wrong with a library and bar at university?

Where I live, you have to be 21 to drink, so most students wouldn't actually be allowed in a real-life bar.

That is a really American thing though. Most of the world lets you drink at 18 (some even earlier), so University students drink a fair amount and having bars/clubs/pubs on campus or nearby is really common. I'm glad they're not making the University too American for once! I like they've skipped Greek houses, plus they said the weather is based on England & I was definitely getting British and European vibes from the whole world in general.

Yeah, and in the Sims world you can order drinks at bar even if you're a teen. So why forbid students to drink? It's not even real alcohol, makes no sense.

But why are your teens in bars. Mine never are in my game. Back in the beginning of the Sims 4 I used to see parents bringing child age in and I put a stop to that in a heartbeat - but never had teens wander into them until the bowling alley - So I stopped putting bowling alleys in bars and made teen hang outs instead. No bars.

Apart from bowling alleys, you'd still have to manually bring a teen sim into a venue that sells juice if you're controlling them. Also I believe they'll also show up at these places if they're a fan of a celeb sim that's visiting one too.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    edited November 2019

Me too! And I loved listening to her voice.

Apart from that, I really enjoyed this livestream and this pack is pretty much all I wanted from a University pack. I can even build my own dorms and study and work at the same time. Totally happy and sooo looking forward to this!
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited November 2019
    I just watched briefly on my phone and didn't understand everything but ... Are we finally able to split the household money when a Sim moves out??? Or was that only for students?
    I had to go back to check this, at 00:22:45 they click "Households" menu in the computer and there's an option to "Split form Household and Move". So there's that one aside of them going through the University Enrollment Guide. I'm inclined to think it's for everyone, but not sure...
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    For those of us who wanted a teaching career it's semi active right? From my understanding?
    :)
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    I just watched briefly on my phone and didn't understand everything but ... Are we finally able to split the household money when a Sim moves out??? Or was that only for students?
    I had to go back to check this, at 00:22:45 they click "Households" menu in the computer and there's an option to "Split form Household and Move". So there's that one aside of them going thourgh the University Enrollment Guide. I'm inclined to think it's for everyone, but not sure...

That would be the biggest revolution in the game mechanics since 2014.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited November 2019
    My favorite was simgurusteph or stephanie, It was all going so fast lol. The one one the left.
    But everything was totally awesome. I was going to buy it either way but I am throughly impressed!! And the bike animations are amazing.i love the way they work, better than expected.

If not in this one, maybe kids can get bikes in a future generations pack 🤗
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    edited November 2019
    I love the CAS, I wish build/buy had been shown more but I like what I saw. The computer locking option is great, finally my sims will have their own computer!
    The world is nice, lots look small though....

I’m sad that the careers are rabbit holes. Also I don’t get if your sim needs a degree to start these careers or if any sim can be a lawyer or a professor.

I’m sad they didn’t improve the school system in general and it doesn’t look like there’s a high school graduation.
    Also I wish classes were active.

I don’t get why there are no new traits, we could really use them!!
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,175 Member
    So, a nice detailed 2 hour livestream and people still feel the need to criticize them for letting sim needs fall into the red and accusing them of not being players when they told us they all were.

Fair enough to criticize the pack, but this kind of thing seems uncalled for to me.

I was impressed with certain things they showed. The bed allocation, computer locking, draggable items, robotics and a number of other things.

Some disappointments too:

I so agree with you. but I was disappointed that the LLama didn't make it as a mascot.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Can you play two college Sims at once?

Yes.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    @Bluegayle yes I would have preferred a llama mascot to that crab thing (was it a crab? I wasnt paying enough attention there).

I was also disappointed by the overall grade system really. I think it would have been good to have one uni where you had to be an A high school student to get in and the other would accept B or C but no lower. They gave the impression anyone could get in regardless, which makes working hard at high school a waste of time.

And there should have been certain careers which needed a uni degree to become unlocked. There doesn't seem a huge incentive currently to actually go to uni, apart from story telling purposes.
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    To non American players who are presuming that American colleges and universities do not have kitchens in their dorms -- that is not true. There may not have been kitchens in the dorm rooms but there was a kitchen in the dorm where I attended college. However, we students still cheated the system and cooked in our rooms 😜
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    I wish they'd given a bit more than vague "benefits" for the degrees vs. distinguished degrees, although I am glad that there is some difference. And I'm guessing that good grades in high school will unlock some scholarship options.

I did like... relatively speaking... how realistic the textbook prices were.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I was not impressed. I shut the video down after about 30 minutes. It just looks like more restrictions and limitations on an already restricted and limited game.
  • lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    For those of us who wanted a teaching career it's semi active right? From my understanding?
    :)

They did mention we can grade papers at home.
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    CAF84 wrote: »
    The forbidden items in dorms is a terrible prescriptive and restrictive mess. In the UK, halls of residence tend to be tiny self contained flats with a kitchen/communal room and then (usually) 6 single rooms. To restrict this to an American norm by introducing a new forbidden feature to stop dorms having kitchens is ridiculous. The idea that restricting features is somehow new and innovative and an actual feature of this pack is so stupid. Please reconsider this Gurus. Other countries have different norms - can we not realise our university experiences with your game? I am only going to consider buying this when a mod has come out fixing this terrible feature.

Except that you can have a residential lot with roommates that you can turn into a dorm of your own if you really want it.
  • Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    I may have shed a little tear when I saw wall shower taps are finally making a comeback! Finally, ingame custom showers.
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    So they just said ageing works normal. That means I will turn it off while on university. I hope it will work just fine.

Same.

So...basically...let's say I have a college student, their elderly parents, and their kid sibling.
    EA is saying that I have to choose between putting my Sim through college...or being there when the elders pass on/the child grows up?

Go into settings and choose that no one ages? I mean that is what I do when I do not want sims to age.

Your sim 'can' live at home while going to college.