Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Advice to new mod user on this latest patch?

NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
Am grateful to all the advice and encouragement to try mods, that I have received from so many of you.

But this is the first patch that has happened since I started with script mods and game mods, and I wonder if there's a quicker easier way to reinstall them, assuming they will be gone after the patch update? I trust a lot of you have this down to a science?

Or will nothing happen?
Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,778 Member
    edited November 2019
    Am grateful to all the advice and encouragement to try mods, that I have received from so many of you.

But this is the first patch that has happened since I started with script mods and game mods, and I wonder if there's a quicker easier way to reinstall them, assuming they will be gone after the patch update? I trust a lot of you have this down to a science?

Or will nothing happen?

Simply move your Mods folder to your desktop and run the patch. Once the game is updated you will need to go in and reenable mods and CC. Close the game. A new Mods folder will have been generated, cut and paste your Mods and CC to the new folder.

Now is the tricky part. It is not uncommon for Mods to break with game updates. @luthienrising usually posts a new thread with each patch to help Simmers keep track of what is broken and what needs to be updated to work in your game. You can find her thread in the General Mods Discussion area.
  • Options
    @Bananas_45 Thank you for breaking it down for me like that. Will do! And heeding your warning, I will likely go to the trouble of adding mods back one at a time and testing each one individually, rather than adding them all at once and trying to trouble-shoot piecemeal. Will be checking out luthienrising too as per your advice. :)

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,778 Member
    @Bananas_45 Thank you for breaking it down for me like that. Will do! And heeding your warning, I will likely go to the trouble of adding mods back one at a time and testing each one individually, rather than adding them all at once and trying to trouble-shoot piecemeal. Will be checking out luthienrising too as per your advice. :)

Great! Happy Simming!
  • Options
    IlkavelleIlkavelle Posts: 41 Member
    This is the part I always hate about new patches :sweat_smile: I always first check my own mods, then I test all others I play (and there's really a lot of them....) I even marked some mods as 'required' for my saves and I can't play normally game until those 'required' are all compatible with newest patch.
    My site: SimsQuest | Twitter
  • Options
    Ilkavelle wrote: »
    This is the part I always hate about new patches :sweat_smile: I always first check my own mods, then I test all others I play (and there's really a lot of them....) I even marked some mods as 'required' for my saves and I can't play normally game until those 'required' are all compatible with newest patch.

Have you tried the new Mod Manager mod? I installed it and find it seems to work, but haven't really gotten into it yet, but it can load and unload mods at a click, and categorize them into libraries, apparently. Good way to streamline the process, maybe?

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    IlkavelleIlkavelle Posts: 41 Member
    Ilkavelle wrote: »

Have you tried the new Mod Manager mod? I installed it and find it seems to work, but haven't really gotten into it yet, but it can load and unload mods at a click, and categorize them into libraries, apparently. Good way to streamline the process, maybe?

I didn't try Mod Manager, I could try :) although I don't have problems with identifying which mods are broken, I do it quite quickly. It's more about the fact that there are always some broken mods after patch, and I don't want to play my saves without some of them :sweat_smile: So sometimes it takes long time to wait until all mods get updated :) updating mods itself can be also quite time consuming, depending what changed in the game. So I just don't like this period of time generally. And it repeats with each patch xD
    My site: SimsQuest | Twitter
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member

Make a back-up of your entire Sims4 folder, too, before you patch, just to be on the safe side. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/